• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best redesign of a classic character

AdanVC

Megaman in Smash Wii U/3DS

megaman_2__wallpaper__super_smash_bros__wii_u_3ds_by_gibarrar-d69dko7.jpg

So cool.

Son Of D

Oh, another one.

Tifa's FFVII Design:

Tifa-DissidiaRender.png

Tifa's Advent Children Design:

dissidia012-08.jpg

I feel that the AC design makes more sense for a hand to hand fighter than her original design. Both pictures from Dissidia 012.

I think Lara Croft got a really good redesign in her reboot, especially considering her original design.

JILn1cQ.jpg

She's toned down from "we accidentally made her boobs huge and just rolled with it" to looking like someone who can handle all the stuff she's being put through. And without totally changing her look- you can still tell she's Lara Croft, she's still got the same sort of outfit on but modernized to fit her new, more realistic look, and she's come out the other side of the redesign with a better defined personality and a cooler arsenal of weapons (bow and climbing hook and pistol are way more fun as a whole than the old dual-pistols thing she was known for).

It fit her new gameplay and story focused stuff, and while that Tomb Raider reboot wasn't perfect I do think it was a pretty good game and I'm interested to see where the next one goes. Her look in that is pretty good too!

3GF889Q.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oh, another one.

Tifa's FFVII Design:

Tifa-DissidiaRender.png

dissidia012-08.jpg

I feel that the AC design makes more sense for a hand to hand fighter than her original design. Both pictures from Dissidia 012.
First one fits her bartender in the slums persona better, but her AC outfit represents about 90% of the rest of her character more accurately. I agree.

Soooooooooo awful and horrible in oozing urban grittiness! It's absolutely GROSS, a bastardization, and a lame attempt at westernization. Ten thumbs down!
Preach it, haha

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Terry Bogard is a good one. I'd also say Ken Masters in SFV is solid. Most of the redesigns in that game are so far great.

I see it as my aesthetic purely realized in its ultimate form and it's AWESOME

DmC Vergil is pretty good! But he's nothing compared to the concentrated king of cool that is DmC Dante!

Soooooooooo awful and horrible in oozing urban grittiness! It's absolutely GROSS, a bastardization, and a lame attempt at westernization. Ten thumbs down!

Oh, another one.

Tifa's FFVII Design:

Tifa-DissidiaRender.png

dissidia012-08.jpg

I'm guessing we will get the Advent Children design in the FFVII Remake.

Wil348

It might just be me, but I really like the design for Sonic post-Unleashed/Secret Rings. In fact, I'd go as far as saying I prefer it to classic Sonic. Everything before this one and after classic were poorly proportioned IMO, while the current one nails it in that department.

Also, I think Mario might deserve a mention as well, he looks faithful to how he looked originally but the updates bring him more into our time.

Finally, Lara Croft 2013. Same reason as Mario.

creatchee

That's a lyric, not a quote...

My bad.... I was actually thinking of "First, I whip it out! Then I thrust it, with great force! Every angle...it penetrates! Until...with great strength...I ram it in! In the end...we are all satisfied...and you are set free."

Or did I mistake another lyric?

squadr0n

Fucking amazing redesign that hit all the right spots.
blazkowicz_wolfenstein_3D_TNO.jpg

This! Huge fan of what they did with BJ.

Raiden isn't really retro but love what they did from 2-4, then they totally ruined him in Rising imo.

Snake and Big Boss are also some really cool examples of transformations from retro to modern day. Every iteration of these two characters are just amazing. From Sean Connery/Kyle Reese too Venom/Old Snake. Ocelot as well, Kojima and Shinkawa uses Lee Van Cleef as inspiration to really bring life to the character.

Breads

Banned
http://img08.deviantart.net/61be/i/2010/057/f/8/juri_han_wallpaper_by_jamesslips.jpg
Now you will be like "She a new character!"

Hear me out. She's a 'dark' Chun Li so in that respect she's a redesing as a new character.

-Hair in buns? Check.
-Fights with lots of kicks? Check
-spiked bracelets? Check
- Wants Ryu bad Check

She fits. :E

No Jolyne Kujo, the original, remains the better character.

kodecraft

Leon wasn't really "classic" at the time RE4 came out though, right? RE2 was early 98, RE4 was early 05. It's only his second appearance.

It's not so much a redesign as a wardrobe change. I like it... but hey, now I am just getting semantic.

This!

RE2 Leon and RE4 Leon aren't a redesign. Just a costume swap/skin.

362055-sa_sonic_06.jpg

Sonic Adventure's Sonic redesign was so good, he's more or less the iconic Sonic at this point. It's actually kind of impressive.

kewlmyc

juri_han_wallpaper_by_jamesslips.jpg

Now you will be like "She a new character!"

Hear me out. She's a 'dark' Chun Li so in that respect she's a redesing as a new character.

-Hair in buns? Check.
-Fights with lots of kicks? Check
-spiked bracelets? Check
- Wants Ryu bad Check

She fits. :E

Wut?

Also agree with above poster, Pit's redesign is fantastic.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Ada from RE4. She had this confidence, an aura of implied threat, that was expressed really well. I actually prefer her black tactical outfit over the dress, but either way she is a total badass.

PSqueak

Banned
Terry Bogard, Garou: Mark of wolves. Way to take an iconic character already, and make him better. SNK is the best in the business at character design.

Definitely this.

I understand that KOF 12 had this "everybody as their original appearances" gimmick going, but i was disappointed that the went back to the classic design rather than the MOTW one here.

TWILT

Banned
Not DmC's Dante is all I'll say.
Oh, another one.

Tifa's FFVII Design:

Tifa-DissidiaRender.png

dissidia012-08.jpg

This is actually probably my favorite too. Tifa straight up looks badass in her AC look compared to her original stripperella costume.

Top Bottom