• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda E3 Showcase 2017 - Pardon Our Dust [Over]

What is Starfield?

Results are only viewable after voting.

asariN7

Ea-4/10- battlefront looks great but no new star wars games sucks after 4 years of nothing.
MS-5/10- no first party games,really hoped this year was great for ms but nah.
Bethsda-6/10- the conference was boring as fuck but they have TWO great looking games coming out this year
This E3 sucked balls.

NotUS

They must have held something back to show at Sony's conference.

I find it surprising that they would only promote 2017 releases without a glimpse into 2018.

There has got to be more, maybe a last minute deal made with Sony in response to something shown at the MS conference.

Either way, Evil Within 2, Wolf 2, and Dishonored DLC are all must buys for me.

Its been a weird E3 so far, 3 conferences down, and the most promising new ip shown is an indie game ' A Way Out'.

takriel

^ No, why would you do this to yourself?

Bethesda likes announcing games that release in the same year. Their new IP won't be ready until next year, so expect their new game at E3 2018.

NotUS

^ No, why would you do this to yourself?

Bethesda likes announcing games that release in the same year. Their new IP won't be ready until next year, so expect their new game at E3 2018.

Lol:) that made me laugh.

I'm actually not fussed, really happy with what they have coming out this year, I'm just considering from a business perspective, we know nothing about next year, and that is unusual.

Maybe their strategy is E3 for releases in the next 6 months, Game Awards/PSX for releases in the following 6 months.

Edit: maybe this rumored Starfield game didn't look up to snuff compared to EA's Anthem, and they decided to hold off on the reveal, who knows.

In UK, so just caught up (after I caught up with the more important Twin Peaks).

So... DLC the conference then? Seriously, why have a full conference when a Nintendo Direct style presentation would do? The Bethesdaland stuff fits that format perfectly.

Looking forward to Wolfenstein at least.

Three disappointing conferences so far...

AHA-Lambda

Just watched it, dull conference on the whole but it was completely saved by the Dishonored DLC, TEW 2, and Wolfenstein 2.

6/10

So far:
EA 2/10
MS 6/10
Bethesda 6/10
Devolver ?/10

Come on E3 you've got to do better than this.

Anyway, I remember Bethesda previously saying in years past they wouldn't do a conference if it wasn't felt needed. This was not needed.

Get conference spots for the 2 AAA reveals, and simple trailers and press releases for the other stuff would have sufficed.

Meccs

Who shows mainly CGI and Cut Scenes in 2017?

I don't really understand why they need a separate press conference for this.

sjay1994

If we are sharing rankings

EA: 3/10: I don't care how much I love Star Wars, I am never sitting through one of their press conferences again. I am so sick of sitting through 30 minutes of games I don't care about. The only cool looking thing from their conference was A Way Out and Battlefront's rendition of Theed looks awesome.

MS: 7/10: Honestly, I thought it was a good show. Well paced, a lot of cool games but I am docking points because of the lack of their own first party developed games and instead a majority of them being "Console Launch Exclusive". I don't even understand what that term means. Is it timed exclusive? Or only coming out on Xbone and PC?

Bethesda: 3/10. Terrible conference. The weird Bethesda land transitions were cute for a bit then got obnoxious. Paid mods are straight up insulting. TEW2 has me intruiged. I wasn't so hot on the first game, but hopefully the second improves. I feel nothing for Wolfenstein because I disliked playing the previous 2.

Zedark

Hmm, this was by far the worst presentation of this E3 imo. The highlights were of course TEW2 and Wolfenstein. Doom VFR looked terrible imo, but Fallout VR looked good. The rest of the conference was games that had already released or DLC for already released games (and Quake Champions non-trailer once again). That, combined with the terrible Bethesda Land skits and lackluster trailers (except for TEW2), made this a big disappointment. Shame, but oh well, they are a relatively small publisher, so it's expected for them not to have a good show every year.
They don't have to come every year, though, but that's up to them.

Christ, what a dick.

So where the hell was Starfield? Huge letdown, guess it's coming next year then..
It was right here:

ZjDE9bU.jpg

Vash63

Great conference IMO, saw 4 games that I'm gonna want day 1.

1. DOOM VFR
2. FO4 VR
3. Dishonored 2 DLC
4. Wolfenstein
5. The Evil Within 2

TEW2 I'm hesitant on just because there was no gameplay shown but I'll probably end up picking it up because I love Shinji Mikami games. Trailer was pretty poor though. Excited that it's all coming in 2017 too - pretty heavy list of games from one company and a huge step up from the MS and EA conferences.

I would've liked some more technical details on Wolf & TEW though, such as what engine they're on and if they'll have Vulkan support like DOOM. Hopefully if they're id Tech 6 they won't have the framerate issues that their predecessors did.

Bethesda had a good showing. Short, to the point and we still got all the relevant info.

It seems that publishers/manufacturers are finally understanding that we only want to see footage (gameplay or CGI) and no people talking through it. The only thing missing from Bethesda was the crowd sheering with an announcement, because now it just felt like a Nintendo Direct. What's fine by me, but then don't do a stage show.

That said, Bethesda's output this year is nothing short of great, considering the amount of studios they have. I would be very surprised if we had a press conference next year, maybe when Starfield is ready to go in 2018.

I woke up this morning excited to see what happened at Bethesda's show... And wow. So glad I didn't stay up for that. Super disappointing.

Gurish

They shouldn't do an E3 if this is what they have to show.

Having said that, the best 2 games I've seen this E3 came from this press-conference, Wolfenstein is probably my game of show for now, TEW2 looks awesome as well, at last it's a good looking and polished game, they just need to tune the pacing a little and they will have a survival horror classic.

Overall it was a waste of time, they should have TEW2 and Wolf at other big parties, but I can't argue with the fact that the best 2 games that are coming out this year are from Bethesda based on what we've seen so far.

Can't believe MS had such a weak E3.

mazillion

Glad I didn't stay up last night to watch this. Easily the worst for me perosnally. The Evil Within and Wolfenstein were the only things that interested me but even those weren't a big surprise. Seems like they had to fill the rest of the conference with their new content for old games or their already announced games. Most of the games shown I am pretty sick of at this point so I actually found myself getting frustrated that they kept talking about them.

Xater

This conference was even worse than EA and I thought they shouldn't have had one. These guys don't have the portfolio to support such a thing. What a contrast to what happened at Microsoft. Both of them should really just do a short pre-recorded thing with the new games. 30 minutes tops.

Ea-4/10- battlefront looks great but no new star wars games sucks after 4 years of nothing.
Bethsda-6/10- the conference was boring as fuck but they have TWO great looking games coming out this year
This E3 sucked balls.

Agreed with EA and MS scores, but Bethesda is the worst of the lot for me (so far). Probably a 3/10. The vast majority was trailers for games that are already out, so it mostly felt like watching an extended advert break interrupting a good TV show. Then they had the audacity to announce they're taking another crack at paid mods so they can exploit and profit from the hard work of others. And FINALLY they showed two new games which, while amazing... why did they need a whole conference for that? Just squeeze those two into Sony or Microsoft's conferences like Anthem, Life Is Strange 2, and Metro were. What a waste of fucking time, especially after Pete Hines had said when they started doing these E3 conferences that they probably wouldn't do these every year - only when they have enough content to showcase.

eXistor

I didn't see a second of the actual conference (sleepy time for me), but the games announced were good: Wolfenstein II, TEW2, Dishonored. As of right now it's by far the best announcements of E3.

akileese

Yeah.....as someone who has been banging the drum about expectations on GAF lately, he's not wrong in the slightest. There's no need to be so confrontational but this place has been taking every single rumor that fits the desired narrative as gospel for months now. I Mean, you had people calling Geoff Keighley a liar and that he was part of some grand MS conspiracy to reveal a lower price.

We've got Sony and Ubi today and Nintendo tomorrow. I thought Bethesda, all things considered, had a pretty solid show for a company that has been releasing a lot of games lately. They managed to show their VR projects, a new Wolfenstein, either a new Dishonored or new Dishonored DLC (not sure which), and the new Evil Within. For a studio that released like, 8 games in the last 3 year as well as countless DLC packs, that's a lot of content.

Glad I didn't stay up last night to watch this. Easily the worst for me perosnally. The Evil Within and Wolfenstein were the only things that interested me but even those weren't a big surprise. Seems like they had to fill the rest of the conference with their new content for old games or their already announced games. Most of the games shown I am pretty sick of at this point so I actually found myself getting frustrated that they kept talking about them.

I thought it was way better than EA because it was a slim minutes. I appreciate that.

I thought it was a solid conference. Game after game without a lot of jabbering inbetween. The intermission bethesdaland bits were cute and I'm glad they focused on all things that are coming this year instead of things years and years out from now.

I don't quite understand the calls of "Don't do a show if you don't have anything to show! All I cared about was TEW2 and Wolfenstein!". If that's all you care about, then sure but plenty of others care about the other games they showed. Should we start telling EA to "cram it in another show" if all you care about is Battlefront? Hell, why do E3 at all? We can just plop everything on youtube. Sorry if this seems overly defensive, but it doesn't make sense to me to say they shouldn't bother having a conference if you already knew you weren't interested in a majority of their output.

Starfield

So far this E3 was quite boring. I think nothing ever will top 2015 where almost every single showcase had some megatons.

The only good moments so far were: A way out, Star Wars Battlefront 2 gameplay, Metro: Exodus announcement, anthem and Wolfenstein 2

Mister Wolf

Bethesda nailed it. I want to see games coming out this year.

I agree. Some of these companies need to learn from them and stop mentioning games coming out 2 years or more from the announcement. A game should come out within a year of the announcement no more.

tommyguns

This E3 sucked balls.

I have to agree with all of these things you said. This E3 has not been a good one in my eyes. We still have Ubisoft, Sony, and Nintendo, so hopefully they will bring the goods!

Pretty boring one B. No Starfield. Major bummer right there. It was just more of the same Wolfenstein (to each his/her own i guess)... VR Doom (neat actually if you're into VR - i'm not) and DLC stuff for old games. Thank god i went to bed.

Vinc

I honestly thought the conference was great. For the content they had, they had the perfect presentation. It was quick, brisk, showed a lot of the games, and the games they had looked great. Wolfenstein blew me away!

tuco11

It makes sense now why they would have the conference at 12 midnight on the east coast. They knew it was shit from start. Cant believe it would had been same time if they were announcing a new IP ie Star Field.

Thewonandonly

I'm surprised not a lot of people are complaining about no gameplay being shown. That's my one big complain about the conference is we really didn't see no gameplay. Why did the cut it short instead of showing us a 5 minute gameplay segment of wolfinstien and evil within, because they come out this year?
Idk that really bothered me for some reason but overall it wasn't a bad conference would give it a 6. Just show more gameplay next time that's why I watch e3.

jwk94

Woah I wasn't paying close enough attention but if it is I'm happy she's getting work. Really talented woman.
She really was. The whole cast was great.

I don't think so? That would be amazing.
It totally is!

Yeah, Madtv cast finding work. Christa Flannigan is in Need for Speed: Payback.
Yooo, Christa's one of my favorites. Definitely gotta get NFS now.

According to wikipedia, she's actually done quite a bit of VO work and I've never noticed until now.

Oh wow, I wasn't aware of that!

Top Bottom