• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black church set on fire, "Vote Trump" painted [Up: done by member of congregation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
yea, wtf? "Bush isn't racist." That's a pretty bold claim.

For sake of argument since GAF likes to deal in absolutes can we use a diet racism scale. Like Bush era was diet racism with dog whistles but this Trump era is even too much for them hence why the split in the GOP, among other things. It doesn't give Bush a pass, but puts him in the "Well he's not Trump" category. Hell I would take Jeb Bush over Trump.

Sunster

Prove it. The guy was in a Mosque after the 9/11 tragedy and said Islam is not our enemy. He has not spoke for Trump and isn't voting for him either. None of the Bush's is. They have my respect.

Katrina response. No Child Left Behind Act. He doesn't get my respect for simply being less horrible than Trump.

For sake of argument since GAF likes to deal in absolutes can we use a diet racism scale. Like Bush era was diet racism with dog whistles but this Trump era is even too much for them hence why the split in the GOP, among other things. It doesn't give Bush a pass, but puts him in the "Well he's not Trump" category. Hell I would take Jeb Bush over Trump.

I'm ok with this

Nibiru

Banned
We have an update to this story.

Mississippi church member charged in ‘Vote Trump’ arson-AP

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi man arrested in the burning of an African-American church that was spray-painted with the words "Vote Trump" is a member of the congregation, the church's bishop said.

Andrew McClinton, 45, of Leland, Mississippi, was charged Wednesday with first degree arson of a place of worship, said Warren Strain, spokesman for the Mississippi Department of Public Safety. McClinton is African-American.

"We do not believe it was politically motivated. There may have been some efforts to make it appear politically motivated," Mississippi Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney, who is also the state fire marshal, told AP.

Volimar

"We do not believe it was politically motivated. There may have been some efforts to make it appear politically motivated," Mississippi Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney, who is also the state fire marshal, told AP.

Nprl5Se.gif

Buzzati

Banned
Ok...smh. let's not jump to the defense of ghosts and spout theories that don't need to be discussed just to appear unbiased. What happened is horrible. Considering other recent happenings in Mississippi, this blatant act of terrorism isn't shocking. Let's not defend terrorist. Let's not worry about the who right now

I think you owe that guy an apology.

FStubbs

That was an extremely clever way to get insurance money. Wonder how he got caught.

Probably the same way as the "Blacks rule" Trump guy.

Namely, if someone from a hate group did do this, I don't think they'd say "Vote Trump". It would be a lot more vile of a message.

Buzzati

Banned
"Suspect seems to have burned the building, leaving the only visible message spraypainted, "I Want Donald Trump To Be President For The 2017 to 2021 Term""

Motherfucker really did a disservice to people by doing that.

Between the Muslim woman that lied about the subway attack and this Trump supporters have all the plausible deniability they'll need for the next 4 years...

Rommel

Motherfucker really did a disservice to people by doing that.

Between the Muslim woman that lied about the subway attack and this Trump supporters have all the plausible deniability they'll need for the next 4 years...

There is this one out of Michigan also.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ent-lied-man-threatening-burn-hjiab/95704464/

A University of Michigan student who told police in November that a man threatened to set her hijab on fire could face charges after investigators discovered she fabricated the entire story, police announced Wednesday.

According to a statement from the Ann Arbor Police Department, detectives worked along with the U-M Division of Public Safety and the FBI to investigate the case, which had been classified as ethnic intimidation.

"Investigators conducted witness interviews and reviewed multiple surveillance videos of the area in question," the department said. "During the course of the investigation, numerous inconsistencies in the statements provided by the alleged victim were identified. Following a thorough investigation, detectives have determined the incident in question did not occur."

And Louisiana

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-were-attacked-by-men-invoking-donald-trump/

A student at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette fabricated a story that she was attacked and had her hijab rippped off, police said Thursday.

The attack was one of several reported in the wake of Donald Trump’s election victory.

In a press release Thursday afternoon, the Lafayette Police Department said that during the course of their investigation into the woman’s complaint, she “admitted that she fabricated the story about her physical attack as well as the removal of her hijab and wallet by two white males.

And North Carolina

http://www.elonnewsnetwork.com/article/2016/11/note-found-whiteboard-kivette-bye-bye-latinos

In a reversal of prior statements, Elon University sent out an email to students, faculty and staff Friday night with information about the student who wrote the note "Bye Bye Latinos Hasta La Vista."

Though the university declined to explicitly identify the person by name, it said a Latino student wrote the note as a joke.

"The message was written by a Latino student who was upset about the results of the election and wrote the message as a satirical commentary," said Smith Jackson, vice president for Student Life.

Audioboxer

Student, student, student.... Why am I not surprised?

I am however surprised to be posting in a topic where a man burns down his own "god damn" Church...

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Anyone have some pepper or oregano?

For my crow..?

Crows are intelligent creatures you shouldn't be eating them!

No really, a false flag like this is unpredictable. What are we supposed to think. The only thing that these types of crimes teach me is to be more careful with immediate judgement.

Audioboxer

You did this America, now deal with it.

Unsure if you've just read the title and are saying America has done this because Trump. Or if you're saying opportunistic asshats are the fault of other Americans? lol

Either way neither applies here. This guy only has himself to blame for being an arsonist and actually going against his apparent cause and giving the far right ammo.

commedieu

Banned
Unsure if you've just read the title and are saying America has done this because Trump. Or if you're saying opportunistic asshats are the fault of other Americans? lol

Either way neither applies here. This guy only has himself to blame for being an arsonist and actually going against his apparent cause and giving the far right ammo.

The far right makes up ammo. They have no shortage of ammo that will be bolstered with reality. The bigger concern is optics for those on the fence.

It's less "OK that's it, gimme a swastika fam!" As if their decision is one moment away from white supremacy..

It's more "well.. I'm not sure. I saw this thing once. Hmm.. no need for me to be vocal about change."

All in all, if you read the story, they were all welcomed into a predominately white church. So it's a silver lining, at least.

RMI

Banned
Well at least I don't have to roll my eyes at false flag accusations. Will be shaking my head at the reality of it instead.

Audioboxer

The far right makes up ammo. They have no shortage of ammo that will be bolstered with reality. The bigger concern is optics for those on the fence.

It's less "OK that's it, gimme a swastika fam!" As if their decision is one moment away from white supremacy..

It's more "well.. I'm not sure. I saw this thing once. Hmm.. no need for me to be vocal about change."

All in all, if you read the story, they were all welcomed into a predominately white church. So it's a silver lining, at least.

Ammo that they actually have legitimacy with. That is the problem. When you let them have easy pot shots that verge away from lies, misinformation and rhetoric to actually mocking people on this side for lying and in this case fucking arson.

It's one thing for students to lie about attacks that never happened, but burning down a Church is fucking mental.

commedieu

Banned
Ammo that they actually have legitimacy with. That is the problem. When you let them have easy pot shots that verge away from lies, misinformation and rhetoric to actually mocking people on this side for lying and in this case fucking arson.

It's one thing for students to lie about attacks that never happened, but burning down a Church is fucking mental.

They don't need legitimacy though. Facts haven't mattered during the rise of the reich. These isolated incidents are also happening to white people too.

America let them rise with fake information. And they still run on fake information. When hate is in your heart, that's all you need. Complaining that this is going to have a significant net positive effect for nazi messaging is being a little generous. Esp when Hillary Clinton running a child sex ring gets just as much traction, if not more.

I don't believe there is a gaggle of nazis hiding in the closet waiting for facts before joining up. They are very vocal, and have likely already voted for Trump. A person seeing this as an opportunity to be a nazi, was already a nazi. I guess that's the take home. If it wasn't this, it would be fake misinformation that is also just as effective for recruitment.

This hurts legitimate efforts with actual human beings that are open to the conversation and the notion that black people aren't animals, more so than the reluctant nazi, hiding in the shadows.

Audioboxer

They don't need legitimacy though. Facts haven't mattered during the rise of the reich. These isolated incidents are also happening to white people too.

America let them rise with fake information. And they still run on fake information. When hate is in your heart, that's all you need. Complaining that this is going to have a significant net positive effect for nazi messaging is being a little generous. Esp when Hillary Clinton running a child sex ring gets just as much traction, if not more.

I don't believe there is a gaggle of nazis hiding in the closet waiting for facts before joining up. They are very vocal, and have likely already voted for Trump. A person seeing this as an opportunity to be a nazi, was already a nazi. I guess that's the take home. If it wasn't this, it would be fake misinformation that is also just as effective for recruitment.

This hurts legitimate efforts with actual human beings that are open to the conversation and the notion that black people aren't animals, more so than the reluctant nazi, hiding in the shadows.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I'm just saying it's hard to swallow when people are defending from shit like this that actually happens and then there is someone who fakes something and the alt right get to have a field day with it.

As I said above though there is a huge difference about lying about an attack that didn't happen and burning down a Church which actually affects the community as well.

This will probably be the top post on the Donald for a day with a mass of crazy shit.

commedieu

Banned
I don't necessarily disagree with you, I'm just saying it's hard to swallow when people are defending from shit like this that actually happens and then there is someone who fakes something and the alt right get to have a field day with it.

As I said above though there is a huge difference about lying about an attack that didn't happen and burning down a Church which actually affects the community as well.

This will probably be the top post on the Donald for a day with a mass of crazy shit.

I'm sure stormfront is going to have a "field day" too. What is the value in people that hate you over misinformation, hating you that % more now because they have this news now? A 3% increase in thinking they are the chosen race that wants a whites only nation? Or 5% more...? Their core beliefs are false. And That doesn't matter to them.

I get it, but I don't see the power given to the racists and their network, that wasn't already there. It sucks, but more for the struggle minorities are having in America than what white supremacists think. They're going to be the last people coverted, if ever. But those middle people.. those are the ones that this burns my ass over. Not the racist people, but the people that say, don't have many black friends... and are the key to us moving forward as a nation. This slows those wheels of progress, more so than folks that have already decided you're subhuman.

All in all.. yeah.. this is unfortunate. For a lot of reasons. For yours and mine..

MIMIC

Banned
How do you burn down your own church, for any reason? Like.....what? I haven't been to church in a few years (sorry mom, lol) but I'd be afraid that my car would explode on the way home if I ever did something like that.

God: Where dafuq do you think you're going?
Me: Home
God: lol

But seriously, this is one of the most bizarre thing I've read in quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom