• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Popeye's Employee Body Slams White Customer After She uses the "N" Word

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Unsurprisingly there is nothing about this story in leftwing newspapers such as the Guardian. I suppose it's because it doesn't the narrative.
Yes, quite odd that an assault in Tennessee with no international ramifications whatsoever doesn't make the papers in the UK.

Last edited:

Breakage

Zog

Banned
However it may have been funny if she was the one to body slam him after being called that, instead!
....and the winner of the Victim Olympics is: Gender over Race.

That's right ladies and gentleman, had the genders been reversed this would have been not only ok but also funny, as female on male violence often is.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Maybe I'm looking at a different video, but was a white dude that did it.

It's probably how the video is exposed/lit. This is the perp:

gTDUe5j.jpg

Hinedorf

Banned
So.....I would say I'm not a racist though I find racial humor hilarious granted that no party is safe from comical representation. I would also say that I'm not uncomfortable around black people. I'm also married to a colored South African woman.

I will NEVER go to a Popeys restaurant on the pretense that I am afraid of the type of people who do go to them. It's not about race, if you're that batshit insane over a chicken sandwich, I'll find another place to eat at.

Petrae

So there are two lessons here: use the word at your own peril, and what an idiot!

The “peril” here is inviting idiots to escalate. Short-term gratification and self-righteousness in these cases will always lead to criminal charges along and professional and financial ruin.

This example only serves to empower the word in question. Don’t think that other morons won’t invite the same kind of confrontation just by uttering the same word— and who knows how the altercation will end once if starts. Picking a fight with someone in a more equal setting may just end up putting the retaliator in the hospital or worse along with the legal, professional, and financial consequences that come with it.

Dumbass here picked a fight with a woman twice his age, one that he was obviously going to dominate. It will no longer matter that “the word” was said when this goes in front of a jury; the facts are plain, and no man will ever be acquitted of assaulting a woman— regardless of the (alleged) circumstances that led to the altercation. Also— unless someone comes forward with admissible proof that the woman uttered “the word” to set the perpetrator off (and that would also come with the proviso that he didn’t start the round of Racial Password)— utterance of “the word” is hearsay while video evidence clearly captures the assault.

BigBooper

I saw this video a few days ago and I thought it was some young fan of The Cure. Gotta admit I didn't feel as bad then.

The way the hair fell it looked like a dyed white goth look, and they look like leather pants too.

Last edited:

Fbh

Way to ruin your life over a word.
While the body slam is obviously the worst part, all 3 people in the video seem crazy, the woman who is hitting the old lady and the other guy (I think) celebrating the body slam.

Petrae

Way to ruin your life over a word.
While the body slam is obviously the worst part, all 3 people in the video seem crazy, the woman who is hitting the old lady and the other guy (I think) celebrating the body slam.

That’s Worldstar culture for you. Not only do you have morons recording every minute of the fight, but you have dumbasses who decide to insert themselves into the action.

Doczu

I wonder if fining people for racial slurs would help everyone yet. Deters the use of it, and because the law is on your side you're no longer left like you're the only dog in this fight against a slur used against your people.
Come on man, you want to ruin the black income for them calling themself the n word al the time?

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
This has no international ramifications either. It didn't stop the Guardian:
Not sure why they posted that story, but it involving two police officers certainly makes it more significant.

Anyways, the fact that the OP linked the the Huff Post defeats your point. Sorry, better luck with the narrative next time.

It’s a slippery slope.

I don’t think anyone condones the use of racial slurs, but pointing out that using one shouldn’t excuse a young man breaking an old woman’s body viciously makes it look like one is “defending racism.”

I wanna make it clear, fuck that shit. I think people who use racial slurs like that are trashy as fuck. But this kind of retaliation only hurts “the cause.” This is a terrible look. You make her sympathetic, and you made her soon-to-be -rich. If you have video of her using the word then do what so many others have done, post that shit and expose her racist ass.

As far as I’m concerned unless someone is sincerely verbally threatening to cause harm to you or someone close to you then I just can’t justify use of force over words.

maybe it’s easy for me to say that because I’m white, I admit I’ll never know what it feels like to be called something like that, but I dunno man. I just dunno

Petrae

It’s a slippery slope.

I don’t think anyone condones the use of racial slurs, but pointing out that using one shouldn’t excuse a young man breaking an old woman’s body viciously makes it look like one is “defending racism.”

I wanna make it clear, fuck that shit. I think people who use racial slurs like that are trashy as fuck. But this kind of retaliation only hurts “the cause.” This is a terrible look. You make her sympathetic, and you made her soon-to-be -rich. If you have video of her using the word then do what so many others have done, post that shit and expose her racist ass.

As far as I’m concerned unless someone is sincerely verbally threatening to cause harm to you or someone close to you then I just can’t justify use of force over words.

maybe it’s easy for me to say that because I’m white, I admit I’ll never know what it feels like to be called something like that, but I dunno man. I just dunno

The bolded is as far as it should have gone. Take video as evidence (if possible) and demand that the customer leave the establishment, and report it to superiors. Escalating the situation to violence from verbal sparring is an automatic L.

Not only does such escalation come with a life-ruining cost, but it also minimizes— if not totally dismisses— any racist behaviors that the other party may display. It turns the instigator into the victim.

Breakage

Not sure why they posted that story, but it involving two police officers certainly makes it more significant.

Anyways, the fact that the OP linked the the Huff Post defeats your point. Sorry, better luck with the narrative next time.
You sarcastically expressed your lack of surprise that a US story where a black man brutally body slams a white woman didn't make into a leftwing, pro-feminist British newspaper.
I responded with a foreign story that also does not have any “international ramifications”, but, crucially for the Guardian, involves two white men attacking a black man, which the Guardian is very happy to highlight to its readers.
Were the Guardian to report the story in the OP, would it also highlight the skin colour of the Popeye's worker who decided to behave like a barbarian?
I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zog

Gargus

Banned
I bet he uses the word nigger all the time, but hurts a white person for saying it? I bet if that lady was black it wouldn't have happened. Isn't that the exact definition of racism when you won't let someone else say something based on the color of their skin? If white people cant say it then no one should be allowed to.

Either it's all ok or none of its ok.

If you aren't black thats an insanely stupid point of view.

Not really it isnt.

It's just a word. It cant actually hurt you or effect it anymore than the word rainbow can. It's just ripples through the atmosphere that enter the ear and your brain deciphered it as a word. Words only effect a person if they allow it. It isnt like being slammed on the ground where it actually hurts you and you have no control, but you have absolute control if a word upsets you or not.

Besides black people get to say it all the time. The rest of this thought can be summed up at the top of my reply.

And slavery and unfair treatment for blacks as a whole was a long damn time ago. White guilt shouldn't be a thing anymore.

Last edited:
Well, yes, if he died, you would be right. If you're talking about the lady, one slip of the tongue and you believe she should die? What the fuck is wrong with you?

They're both pieces of shit. One less racist, one less asshole in the streets.

Last edited:
You better hope you don't ever end up in court, because I don't think you really understand the moral difference between aggravated assault and someone being "extra mean".

This boils down to:

Talk shit get hit

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

They're both garbage humans.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have to remind myself to check back in on the story in a month. I would wager that at least one of those other PopEye's employees that mobbed her catches a case.

Petrae

One less racist in Tennessee. Where is the downside?

One downside would be the death penalty, which is still a thing in Tennessee. Another could be life in prison. It all would depend on the charges brought forward by the state against the perpetrator and whether/how the defense could prove that the deceased provoked the perpetrator into such a violent act.

You’re also judging that the act of killing is justified for “racist” actions that have not been proven and are purely hearsay. You’re choosing to blindly believe the perpetrator without a shred of proof, or without even the consideration that the woman was provoked into an emotional war of racial slurs by the perpetrator.

The only evidence that’s solid right now is the video of the perpetrator assaulting the woman. There’s no hearsay, no supposition. It’s fact. Dudebro here slammed a woman twice his age to the ground with extreme prejudice and intent to injure. The woman did not retaliate nor does the video show any provocation on her part before or after the assault.

Your response is emotional at best and vile at worst. Killing someone over the utterance of words should never be justified, let alone the alleged and not proven intent.

Petrae

I want to say that I’m surprised that there are people who justify killing another human being over the utterance of one word, but on the internet, people get off on being “the tough guy”, for whom laws don’t apply.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Of course not.

Dude is the biggest piece of garbage. However, I have no sympathy for her.
Do you really believe she got what was coming to her? You think the consequence of several broken ribs, a broken knee (at her age, might not even walk right again), and several lacerations is worth one "N bomb"? (This is not even including the context that she may not have said the word to begin with. A husband of one of the employees said she said it. What the fuck does he know?)

You can’t beat up or hurt people for words. A regular assault charge isn’t that heavy of a case, but if you body slam and seriously injure someone, you will find it very difficult to unfuck your life assuming you make it out of prison.

Good. I hope he rots for the rest of his life.

Do you really believe she got what was coming to her? You think the consequence of several broken ribs, a broken knee (at her age, might not even walk right again), and several lacerations is worth one "N bomb"? (This is not even including the context that she may not have said the word to begin with. A husband of one of the employees said she said it. What the fuck does he know?)

Stop making excuses for her. Of course she did not deserve to get assaulted.

Secesh

I can’t imagine someone saying a word ( if his claim is true) that would enrage me to the point of assaulting someone like that, especially an older woman.

Raven117

The “peril” here is inviting idiots to escalate. Short-term gratification and self-righteousness in these cases will always lead to criminal charges along and professional and financial ruin.

This example only serves to empower the word in question. Don’t think that other morons won’t invite the same kind of confrontation just by uttering the same word— and who knows how the altercation will end once if starts. Picking a fight with someone in a more equal setting may just end up putting the retaliator in the hospital or worse along with the legal, professional, and financial consequences that come with it.

Dumbass here picked a fight with a woman twice his age, one that he was obviously going to dominate. It will no longer matter that “the word” was said when this goes in front of a jury; the facts are plain, and no man will ever be acquitted of assaulting a woman— regardless of the (alleged) circumstances that led to the altercation. Also— unless someone comes forward with admissible proof that the woman uttered “the word” to set the perpetrator off (and that would also come with the proviso that he didn’t start the round of Racial Password)— utterance of “the word” is hearsay while video evidence clearly captures the assault.
You can say its not being offered for the truth of the matter asserted, but goes to the state of mind of the perpetrator.

Tesseract

Banned
Fair enough, but keep in mind some people are very much capable of rehabilitation and becoming good, and even great people. I’m a convicted felon and even the most criminal minded individuals are capable of change. There are countless examples of this.

ja, i'm for rehabilitative justice whenever possible

the lock away and garbage the key thing has never held up for me, maybe because i've seen too much to know we're all a step away from becoming the bad guy

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I've always been of the belief that black folks who react this way to being called the N-word have a form of PTSD. Imagine being called all sorts of derogatory names and phrases, made to feel less than and probably degraded in some way at least once in life. You would probably overreact, too. It may seem trivial to many of y'all over a word, but going through that crap and then some white person says the N-word and it triggers THAT much rage in you...

highrider

Banned
I've always been of the belief that black folks who react this way to being called the N-word have a form of PTSD. Imagine being called all sorts of derogatory names and phrases, made to feel less than and probably degraded in some way at least once in life. You would probably overreact, too. It may seem trivial to many of y'all over a word, but going through that crap and then some white person says the N-word and it triggers THAT much rage in you...

Naah, he just has zero impulse control. The prisons are full of people like that, and they are very difficult to rehabilitate. He would react that way to any perceived disrespect, unless the person disrespecting him was more of a physical challenge.

Tesseract

Banned
very difficult is an understatement lol, it's goddamn brutal just working with one dude (who you might even know) and living with them in their cage 8 hours a day

end of the day you go home, they don't, and everything seems to reset

rehabilitation is a fucking nightmare, but it's worth it

Last edited:

Prison Mike

Banned
very difficult is an understatement lol, it's goddamn brutal just working with one dude (who you might even know) and living with them in their cage 8 hours a day

end of the day you go home, they don't, and everything seems to reset

rehabilitation is a fucking nightmare, but it's worth it
I can't even begin to imagine how bad that'd b trust n everything fuck me nightmare

Top Bottom