• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Derpot

I wanted to fight Ludwig at lvl 17 (on NG) with Valtr for the lulz, and I reached the phase 2 on my first try.
And I thought I could keep trying again and again because I thought I could beat him. I summoned Valtr for each try, but I kept dying.
I had 32 Insight Points and now I have 0.
I dunno why I do that to myself.
Am so done.

I'll try again tomorrow

just cannot beat ludwig. can't get the timing down on his second form. got him to about 20% health but that huge attack where he puts the sword up in the air got me. and i can only get to the 2nd form every 5-6 tries. so i decided to summon henriett who is an absolute waste. she always dies right at the beginning of the 2nd form. so i decided to summon another human, same thing, twice. both dudes (dudettes?) died within 20 seconds of the 2nd form.

i should have just started a brand new game and played the DLC later down the road when i was at an appropriate level

Been helping people a bunch at (Boss)
Ludwig's
house.

Always great to see yourself get better and better at a boss. :D

Now I don't know what to do with all these blood echoes. I'm already hopelessly overleveled for NG+(lvl 135). :(

Oh no...I forgot what was in this place...

Why would you tell me to go back here!? I'm so dead.

XtVWgPJ.gif

Endo Punk

HOLY SHIT! Just changed to beast embrace covenant with the beast claw weapon.

10739144.gif

This is exactly what I wanted to see when the the actual game released, they talked about transformation so I was let down that there really wasn't much to it, until this dlc. Wolfman hunter is fucking amazing. Alien-cosmo version moveset is cool but design wise it could have looked better, should have gone zoidburg with the face. Anyway gonna be rocking wolfman for a few hours now. Sooooooo good.

This game pleases me on so many levels now. Gotta revise my top 10 games of all time to include bloodborne.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I finally acquired a copy of this recently and I have to say the Bow is now the best weapon in the game for me. It's amazing how it can stagger a boss full charge from a long distance. I've even used it to make fights with those frenzy-brain creatures a lot easier. Here's hoping they don't decide to nerf it in the future.

Also, it's funny that a lot of gaming websites/podcasts are misinterpreting how the new shield works. I always thought most people would read the description when picking up a new item/weapon since that's immediately what I would do to figure out any problem. However, most of them claim the shield blocks physical damage when it says right in the description that it's meant for long range attacks. I ended up using the shield on the cainhurst boss and it made the whole fight trivial.

ScribbleD

10739144.gif

This is exactly what I wanted to see when the the actual game released, they talked about transformation so I was let down that there really wasn't much to it, until this dlc. Wolfman hunter is fucking amazing. Alien-cosmo version moveset is cool but design wise it could have looked better, should have gone zoidburg with the face. Anyway gonna be rocking wolfman for a few hours now. Sooooooo good.

This game pleases me on so many levels now. Gotta revise my top 10 games of all time to include bloodborne.

Have you tried a jumping attack with the beast claws + beast's embrace. Dive kicks, friend. Plus, you can literally change direction in mid-air.

I finally acquired a copy of this recently and I have to say the Bow is now the best weapon in the game for me. It's amazing how it can stagger a boss full charge from a long distance. I've even used it to make fights with those frenzy-brain creatures a lot easier. Here's hoping they don't decide to nerf it in the future.

Also, it's funny that a lot of gaming websites/podcasts are misinterpreting how the new shield works. I always thought most people would read the description when picking up a new item/weapon since that's immediately what I would do to figure out any problem. However, most of them claim the shield blocks physical damage when it says right in the description that it's meant for long range attacks. I ended up using the shield on the cainhurst boss and it made the whole fight trivial.

Even without reading the description that's a stupid mistake to make. All you have to do is look at the stats. It's vastly inferior to even the wooden shield at blocking physical damage, but 70% across the board vs Arcane/Fire/Bolt. Who picks up a weapon or off-hand item without glancing at that stuff?

Tingle

Yeah, I have been rolling with the
parasite
, its probably some of the most fun I've had in the game. I kinda wish there was more to the actual
transforming
part. You kinda just do it, off to the side, in the Hunter's Dream. It would have been neat if you did them in middle of battle and had to deal with a combination of benefits and downsides.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Even without reading the description that's a stupid mistake to make. All you have to do is look at the stats. It's vastly inferior to even the wooden shield at blocking physical damage, but 70% across the board vs Arcane/Fire/Bolt. Who picks up a weapon or off-hand item without glancing at that stuff?

You'd be surprised. Whichever gaming podcast(s) you might listen to, go back and listen to their coverage of Bloodborne: the old hunters DLC. On the few podcasts I listened to, one person out of each group became excited and told everyone else on the cast that there's a shield that blocks physical damage. I literally said 'oh no' and 'uh oh' each time I heard it, because I knew they were setting up their co-workers to fail in the game, whether purposefully or not.

On a side note, I find it hilarious that a shield is put in the game to block long range damage and the majority of the enemies in this DLC do long range attacks. However, going back to the main game barely any enemies use long range attacks, so the shield is almost as bad as the wooden one in the main game.

NeoGiff

Finally wrapped up OoK on my fifth attempt. I had the first form down to a tee, but was having trouble with the second form. So, I summoned a co-op partner to help with that... and he died as soon as soon as OoK transformed. But somehow I pulled through relatively unscathed after being annihilated by the second form in all of my previous attempts. It's sad that this is the last ever content for this amazing game.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Found OoK to be really easy.

Used Lead Elixir for phase one and went all out on his ass, and then slowed down the pace on his second phase

fucking dismantled him with Rakuyo

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You can cheese it easily
continue on through the stage and eventually you get to the little ledge opposite the ladder, you can throw a poison arrow to hit the first guy and bring him over to you, and then chip away at him at the edge of the ledge
Really? I tried just about every projectile, locked-on from that ledge past the Brain Maidens, and they all missed, like they disappeared into the ether instead of reaching the monster. I tried bullets, knives, molotovs, even pebbles and they all failed to connect. Is there a particular angle I need to be at?

Last boss spoiler:
N5gLb2o.png

Rn0Nt2l.gif
Iknowthatfeelbro.gif

Here's me trying Defiled Amy a while back, dat rage:

Hehehehehe......hehehe....hehe.

Hehehe.
Oh, I can't wait... Hee hee...

Really? I tried just about every projectile, locked-on from that ledge past the Brain Maidens, and they all missed, like they disappeared into the ether instead of reaching the monster. I tried bullets, knives, molotovs, even pebbles and they all failed to connect. Is there a particular angle I need to be at?

I'm not sure if different items have different throw ranges, but I used poison knives and you have to aim above the monster, because the knife will start to fall. So you are kind of throwing it in an arc in order to reach and hit it. It takes a little messing around, but just make sure you are on target left vs right first, and then try to throw it above the monster and tweak if necessary

Auctopus

From's writers or Miyazaki or whoever are amazing. Anyone interested in understanding a bit of the background/reasoning behind why things are named the way they are in the game NEEDS to read this thread on reddit. My mind is literally blown at the level of depth and attention to detail they put into this game. https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne...s_everything_makes_sense_now/?sort=confidence

4d32f142871c29466f303c2c80f24ed4.gif

Rupture of Membranes...

Subacrachnoid Space....

3 Meninges: Dura Mater(Tough mother), Arachnoid Mater(Spider Mother), Pia Mater(Tender Mother)....
Kos, ROM, and Mergo

Blood-Brain Barrier....

The thing that I always wonder is, are the games played in English in Japan? The language and names seems to work due to the English Language's subtles and intricacies. Yet, the bosses have Japanese names etc.

The thing that I always wonder is, are the games played in English in Japan? The language and names seems to work due to the English Language's subtles and intricacies. Yet, the bosses have Japanese names etc.

What do the Japanese names of Bosses translate to in English? Apparently the games have no Japanese voice over or anything(at least not until the expansion). Id be surprised if they werent sure to keep meaning and translations consistent across regions. Of course theres always going to be the few slip ups.

Also things like Rupture of Membrane and those 3 parts of the Blood-Brain Barrier are still real things in Biology so the parallels would remain across languages.

gogosox82

Ok guys, I have two questions.
In the research hall I've met two npcs, one was asking to bring Brain fluids I think and the other was just saying nonsense. I think it was "Flip, flop, flip. flop" or something to that effect. Also, Ludwig is just screaming every time I talk to him. Do I need an item to get more dialouge out of him or is that all he is going to do?

In the research hall I've met two npcs, one was asking to bring Brain fluids I think and the other was just saying nonsense. I think it was "Flip, flop, flip. flop" or something to that effect. Also, Ludwig is just screaming every time I talk to him. Do I need an item to get more dialouge out of him or is that all he is going to do?

Talk to him with church set on. And question 1:
the heads that spout nonsense give you brain fluid if you smack them. They don't die.

You'll find some brain fluid later in the area. Try giving the npc several of them. As for Ludwig you might wanna put on some church clothes.

Sigma722

I don't think I'm even going to be proud once I beat
Laurence
. Such a bs not fun fight, with a tedious re-entry process.

Okay, I finally did it, and I'm a little proud. Mostly shaky. Solo'd him FINALLY NG++ at level 178. Still don't really want to ever play again because of him :(

I'm convinced that I'm terrible at the game. I +9'ed my weapon and got to level 70 (which is much higher than the point when you can access the DLC) and I am still going to have to farm for blood vials because of the first boss.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It seems like not many people are using Blood Cutter as their main, eh? Well, not that I blame them what's with the likes of Whirligig and Rakuyo available to play with. Managed to kill 2-3 hunters with my level 35 character as I jumped into the DLC but damn the experience was quite unpleasant, hahah. Thankfully managed to just run all the way to the Beast Cutter's location just to grab it. The DLC is definitely way too tough for a level 30-ish character to handle... damn.

The overhead slam of Beast Cutter is immense, I love it so much. It doesn't have any thrust though so I have some difficulties beating down enemies such as Brain Sucker. Last night was I think the very first time I've ever died to the Brain Sucker near Iosefka's Clinic because I honestly didn't expect the Beast Cutter's normal R1 attacks are unable to stagger it.

Need a weapon specifically to deal with those bastards......

HORRORSHØW

I'm convinced that I'm terrible at the game. I +9'ed my weapon and got to level 70 (which is much higher than the point when you can access the DLC) and I am still going to have to farm for blood vials because of the first boss.

the first dlc boss is rough.

there's a skeleton by the gates near the boss gate that always drops 5 vials.

Possibly useful tip for the Sharks in the well: it only actually takes around 4 Poison Knives to poison them. If you get the first one close to half and then poison him, you might be able to tick him down while playing keep-away with the other. (Or while he's killing the other one for you, if you Shaman Bone Blade him.)

(Major first DLC boss spoilers)
I wish I could leave a message that said "The real Demon's Souls starts here" because part 2 of that fight looks like a great homage to one of the later boss fights in Demon's Souls.

gogosox82

Talk to him with church set on. And question 1:
the heads that spout nonsense give you brain fluid if you smack them. They don't die.

You'll find some brain fluid later in the area. Try giving the npc several of them. As for Ludwig you might wanna put on some church clothes.

Thanks guys. Only problem I have is that
I turned around the stairs and took out Living Failures and no I have no idea where the dude is now lol. I'm assuming you can turn the stairs around by going back to the top of it.
So, I'll do that and see what happens.

Edit : So I
went back to Ludwig with some church stuff on but he had an arrow in his head :( Did I mess something up?
Also,
nice that we get the Moonlight sword. So I'm guessing its for arcane builds since it starts with a C in arcane. Would a pure phyiscal build get anything out of this or is it not worth it?

Top Bottom