• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Imru’ al-Qays;187836216 said:
I think Edge institutionally regrets not awarding it to Dark Souls over Skyward Sword back in 2011. They retroactively increased the score from a 9 to a 10 and named it game of the generation a year or two ago.
I think when it came out on PC it helped the series a lot. I believe that was at the same time as Artorias DLC came out too. With that in mind, looking back at the two it was pretty clear which game was superior. Skyward Sword hooked a lot of people and I think a lot of people got caught up in the nostalgia and hype. Most people (EDIT: nowadays, not at the time) agree it's just an okay Zelda (let alone an okay game overall) while Dark Souls helped to define last-gen.

lol? Since when? I'm like 95% sure that won't ever happen.
If DS3 won, I'd be very happy. But if any RPG from Japan wins, I think it'll be P5.

Persona 3 and 4 are two of the most popular "really Japanese" JRPGs in the last decade. They score high, they win GoTY awards, and journalists speak very highly of them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think when it came out on PC it helped the series a lot. I believe that was at the same time as Artorias DLC came out too. With that in mind, looking back at the two it was pretty clear which game was superior. Skyward Sword hooked a lot of people and I think a lot of people got caught up in the nostalgia and hype. Most people agree it's just an okay Zelda (let alone an okay game overall) while Dark Souls helped to define last-gen.

If DS3 won, I'd be very happy. But if any RPG from Japan wins, I think it'll be P5.

Persona 3 and 4 are two of the most popular "really Japanese" JRPGs in the last decade. They score high, they win GoTY awards, and journalists speak very highly of them.

Lots of those things describe Souls games. But I bet neither Persona or Souls are the majority GotY winners next year.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Well Bloodborne did win in the Golden Joystick Award Best Original Game and Playstation Exclusive so there's that.

The snub was real though, it's not a surface level game, its very difficult, of course this wouldn't appease mainstream audiences.

Souls is a mainstream game series. You arent playing some special niche series when every entry is a multimillion seller. BB had already sold 2 million + as a single platform game 2 months ago.

Souls is a mainstream game series. You arent playing some special niche series when every entry is a multimillion seller. BB had already sold 2 million + as a single platform game 2 months ago.

It may be "mainstream" compared to a lot of other games but its appeal is still far more limited than something like The Witcher 3.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I've been helping (or trying to) randoms all night with various bosses and I noticed something weird about L
aurence
. Sometimes I'd enter the boss room and it'd look like he had a sliver of HP missing. Like he'd already taken some damage prior. But I'm guessing it's just a graphical glitch and it's not really the boss that's taken damage before we started the encounter somehow (a la Duke's Dear Freja). Has this happened to anyone else?

Kudo

So I've been helping (or trying to) randoms all night with various bosses and I noticed something weird about L
aurence
. Sometimes I'd enter the boss room and it'd look like he had a sliver of HP missing. Like he'd already taken some damage prior. But I'm guessing it's just a graphical glitch and it's not really the boss that's taken damage before we started the encounter somehow (a la Duke's Dear Freja). Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes, noticed it once too when I helped people. We got invaded that time I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Been playing for 2 hours and so far I got like, 3 victories, lol... either my host dies or I die (the former is far more frequent :p). Still haven't won against L
aurence
a single time.

I hate when people summon NPCs alongside of me. The NPCs suck and only add HP to the boss.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Been playing for 2 hours and so far I got like, 3 victories, lol... either my host dies or I die (the former is far more frequent :p). Still haven't won against L
aurence
a single time.

I hate when people summon NPCs alongside of me. The NPCs suck and only add HP to the boss.

Maybe you're the NPC.

whatatwist.jpg

It's an old glyph and it says it's been deleted from the server when I try to share. I guess I'm out of luck

Ah damn. Id be down to help through a new one if you have the chalice materials.

EDIT:Okay awesome I'm gonna try to use the Short Root chalice so we dont have to help me go through the chalice over and over again. Start ringing. GAFHUNT is the pass

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Maybe you're the NPC.

whatatwist.jpg
lol

Just now, twice in a row, my host (a different person each time) got OHKO'd by his very first attack. That attack doesn't OHKO me as a cooperator, their VIT must be so low. And it wasn't their first attempt at the boss either. Come on guys, I want to help but you gotta do your part xD

lol

Just now, twice in a row, my host (a different person each time) got OHKO'd by his very first attack. That attack doesn't OHKO me as a cooperator, their VIT must be so low. And it wasn't their first attempt at the boss either. Come on guys, I want to help but you gotta do your part xD

Ive been noticing people play through the game and into NG+ with like 30 vit. Theyre just asking to get 2 shot. All my characters have 50 vit with at least 1 rune on.

Verder

my little brother is having difficulty accessing the DLC.
he is already on new game plus and already killed Vicar Amelia.

he was able to pick up the old hunters bell
but the messengers with the Eye werent there?

is it not possible for other users on the ps4 to access the DLC?

my little brother is having difficulty accessing the DLC.
he is already on new game plus and already killed Vicar Amelia.

he was able to pick up the old hunters bell
but the messengers with the Eye werent there?

is it not possible for other users on the ps4 to access the DLC?

Did he touch the skull to get the adage?

Maybesew

Ah damn. Id be down to help through a new one if you have the chalice materials.

EDIT:Okay awesome I'm gonna try to use the Short Root chalice so we dont have to help me go through the chalice over and over again. Start ringing. GAFHUNT is the pass

I'm ringing in here 7zbjedmw

It's open and online

Akara

Banned

It's really not as mainstream as you're making. It's not Witcher 3 and it's definitely not COD.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Just did Defiled Amygdala - ez, what is everyone complaining about?

I think the most I've died to a Chalice boss was Abhorrent Beast since I kept trying to parry :(

Akara

Banned

I think the most I've died to a Chalice boss was Abhorrent Beast since I kept trying to parry :(

I think Defiled Watch Dog use to be the hardest for me, now I have no problems with any of them.

If you have a Moonlight Sword build Amygdala is a complete joke

I totally fought that like a scaredy cat, but I'm glad to be passed tbat dude. Fought him at least 100 times before the patch

Im ready and ringing in layer 3

MilkBeard

I was hoping for some award, but we all know that Bloodborne appeals to a certain audience. It may have arguably the best combat of any game released this year, and one of the deepest stories, but when ever does a unique work that takes effort to unravel win much, if at all?
Especially at a show where Connor from Assassin's Creed III wins best character. I would hope that these awards eventually game more merit in the years to come. But really, The Witcher 3 is very popular. It was easy to predict.

I do wish there were more awards for games like Bloodborne that fit a certain niche, and specialize in certain qualities. Best combat? Most original story? Something like that.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
If you have a Moonlight Sword build Amygdala is a complete joke

Church Pick foreva!

I decided to do chalices in this skl character but I don't imagine I'll ever do chalice runs again, so my moonlight character, and every other character for that matter, will remain top-tier-gemless.

MilkBeard

he touched it and it still seems to not give him the eye.

I would make him touch it again just to be sure, then go back to Hunter's Dream. It should be near the front door. If that doesn't work, then sign out of the game, close application, restart the game. I think that worked for someone before. Also, check the inventory as well just to be sure, maybe he picked it up without realizing it.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it. I barely got involved and still almost died twice

Glad to help! The NPC makes the fight a bit more difficult to read because when they hit amygdala she can cancel her moves straight into a different one you dont expect. Leads to getting hit a lot more than needed

Maybesew

Is the living string from the big brain?

Dumb question: I got into the DLC content, but can't find a headstone that will fast travel back to the hunters nightmare. Am I missing it somewhere?

Is the living string from the big brain?

Dumb question: I got into the DLC content, but can't find a headstone that will fast travel back to the hunters nightmare. Am I missing it somewhere?

Yes. The headstone is to go to the DLC is the one the Doll sometimes prays to. Its near the insight shop.

tariniel

I just cannot believe the absurd range that
Kos
has. I just did 8 attempts and only 2 of them I got him to around 20% before dying. Absolutely awful.

MilkBeard

I just cannot believe the absurd range that
Kos
has. I just did 8 attempts and only 2 of them I got him to around 20% before dying. Absolutely awful.

There is a weakness to the range. Once you can predict which attacks he does, you will be able to avoid it with certain movements. Some of the attacks you can actually be on the inside of his weapon and not get hit.

Styles

Defiled Amygadala was a joke once you know where to stand. Watchdog gave me the most trouble in the Chalice dungeons.However, both pale in comparison to Vicar Amelila and Fiery Cleric Beast. I think it took me a combined total of 100 tries too defeat them.

Stillmatic

After posting that pic earlier of my bitter OoK loss, I managed to get him after another 3 attempts.

Then somehow I managed to pull a win against La
urence
on my first attempt, I was stunned! Justice!!!

Now Bloodborne is back to 100% :)

Loved this DLC, right up there with Artorias of the Abyss for me.

Derpot

It seems like not many people are using Blood Cutter as their main, eh? Well, not that I blame them what's with the likes of Whirligig and Rakuyo available to play with. Managed to kill 2-3 hunters with my level 35 character as I jumped into the DLC but damn the experience was quite unpleasant, hahah. Thankfully managed to just run all the way to the Beast Cutter's location just to grab it. The DLC is definitely way too tough for a level 30-ish character to handle... damn.

The overhead slam of Beast Cutter is immense, I love it so much. It doesn't have any thrust though so I have some difficulties beating down enemies such as Brain Sucker. Last night was I think the very first time I've ever died to the Brain Sucker near Iosefka's Clinic because I honestly didn't expect the Beast Cutter's normal R1 attacks are unable to stagger it.

Need a weapon specifically to deal with those bastards......

I also use the Beast Cutter in my new game. I like it a lot but jeez, it costs a lot of stamina.
Yeah lvl 30 is a bit low for the DLC (and I'm here still trying to beat Ludwig at lvl 17 lol), I think the recommended level is 65?

After posting that pic earlier of my bitter OoK loss, I managed to get him after another 3 attempts.

Then somehow I managed to pull a win against La
urence
on my first attempt, I was stunned! Justice!!!

Now Bloodborne is back to 100% :)

On first try? How, he's so horrible D:
Congrats tho!

Top Bottom