• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

It is way too satisfying to go back and hear Father G say you'll become one sooner or later... and then you show up
in full Beast mode
, the claw wrecks him so easily.

Spoilers abound, beware.

Finished off the last two DLC bosses last night, overall I had an absolute blast and would put this content right up there with the base game. Fantastic areas to explore and exceptionally fun boss fights, as is expected from FROM by now.

I'd rank the areas:

Fishing Hamlet > Research Tower > Hunter's Nightmare

FH might not have been as impressive as RT in some ways but I just loved the atmosphere of it as well as the variety. Starting from the upper village and working down into the caverns was a memorably creepy experience, especially when you drop down to the level with the Winter Lanterns and hear them singing off in the distance. "May the good blood guide your way, and please, carry on in my stead." I also enjoyed the unique look of the enemies and all of the intricate environmental details like the boats with bodies in them. The whole area had kind of a Souls feel to it.

That's not to take anything away from RT which was an incredible area. Very fun to explore with plenty of hidden secrets and lore tidbits. The astral clocktower in particular had a Castlevania vibe to it that I adored which made the Maria fight even more enjoyable. Also, Living Failures is perhaps the greatest name for a boss ever conceived, and it couldn't be more appropriate given the context.

As far as bosses I'd go:

Ludwig > Orphan > Maria > Laurence > Living Failures

Oddly enough Ludwig was the most difficult fight in the DLC for me, perhaps because I was rusty or somewhat underleveled but either way it was a tough fight that took me quite a few attempts. I greatly enjoyed all of the bosses though, and each one had my heart pumping by the time I finished them off. Living Failures was the worst for obvious reasons but still a great fight that fit perfectly with the lore and setting of the Research Hall.

I consider myself a pretty big Souls fan dating back to Demon's Souls which I bought on launch day. That said, Bloodborne has easily cemented itself as my favorite game in the series, and I'm truly thankful that FROM took the time to create this excellent addition to the game. One of my favorite games of all time and one that I will always cherish.

dralla

The jumping attack is mostly schmuck bait. You try to pull off a backstab but it takes too long and he punishes you.

You can backstab him after that move. Simply hold up on the joystick to walk under the attack and if you keep walking up just a little more and do the backstab, you'll be in perfect range. I did it with Ludwig's blade, I'm not sure if other charged attacks are slower

Murman

The
Fisherman place
is really playing havoc with my trypophobia, makes me all itchy. Same with
Ludwig's first phase with all the eyes

Really enjoying it though apart from that. The soundtrack is fantastic.

I always forget this is a real thing...two of my mates have it also. Must be a struggle playing through all of Bloodborne?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kind of bothered by weird irregular circular patterns, and Bloodborne didn't really trigger that fight/flight response from me at all. Weird.

I always forget this is a real thing...two of my mates have it also. Must be a struggle playing through all of Bloodborne?

I honestly haven't had it at all during the base game. My younger brother whom I coop with is of a similar (but less severe) disposition and he was fine also. It was only this DLC that is set it off. I get it really bad though, it is distracting. Barnacles really set it off, not for my younger brother though so it varies. Really trying to push through the area and away from it all.

When the Mrs. eats a pomegranate I have to be in another room because I can't deal with it, she didn't believe me when I first told her but she could tell from my reaction and the goosebumps on me (which also sets it off counter intuitively) that it makes me go crazy.

How did you feel about the Mensis brain?

I saw pictures of it and decided to avoid it after dropping it.

watdaeff4

When he gets mad and berserk you keep back stepping and he gets you with his combos?

I have been stupid and got nailed with that a few times initially forgetting how to play that part, but then also out of 'panic' other times.

, but also trying to sidestep and still getting nailed.

The poison factor is killing me though also.

maybe I just need to farm echoes for awhile and OP myself and blast through him.

myco666

Yeah, but don't staggered enemies take like double/bonus damage? you can just shoot a fast arrow with R1 and the enemy will probably die because of bonus damage after R2 charged attack.

Didn't even think about that. Have to try if it is worth it.

Invading is seriously annoying. Wait for a long time to find somebody only to get 'Session Lost' because host doesn't want to deal with it. Just pick the offline mode or don't ring the bell at all.

silva1991

I have been stupid and got nailed with that a few times initially forgetting how to play that part, but then also out of 'panic' other times.

, but also trying to sidestep and still getting nailed.

The poison factor is killing me though also.

maybe I just need to farm echoes for awhile and OP myself and blast through him.

when he gets berserk, go behind him and the win is yours. his tracking is stupid when he does that combo and that's why getting behind is the answer.

watdaeff4

when he gets berserk, go behind him and the win is yours. his tracking is stupid when he does that combo and that's why getting behind is the answer.

Thanks. Taking a break today to clear the mind/soul (pun intended) and will try that strategy.

Appreciate it mate!

CHC

You can backstab him after that move. Simply hold up on the joystick to walk under the attack and if you keep walking up just a little more and do the backstab, you'll be in perfect range. I did it with Ludwig's blade, I'm not sure if other charged attacks are slower

Yeah I got to the point where I could do this every time with the saw cleaver. Easy 3000 damage, it was the main move I looked for to get me through phase 1, mostly just entirely avoided everything else. There's no need to overreact and dodge, just a step forward and he whooshes right over your head.

So, these wonderful NPCs such as
Wall head banger
and
cell bell ringer

Should I just kill them at this point? I've beaten the dlc outside of the optional boss
. Might as well right?

myco666

So, these wonderful NPCs such as
Wall head banger
and
cell bell ringer

Should I just kill them at this point? I've beaten the dlc outside of the optional boss
. Might as well right?

I don't remember there being any information about them having any other interactions. Just kill them to get their stuff.

lifa-cobex

Just got into the DLC on a fresh game.

Holy fuck the hunters are nails. What Lvl should I be around when i first go into the DLC?

I'm 53 atm so......bugger.
I'll just carry on for a bit then.

cheers folks
Honestly it's a good idea to have a +8 or so weapon going in as well. I started the DLC on a character that had done every boss pre-Micolash (including the optional bosses) and that got me to a pretty good starting point.

Neoweee

I'm 53 atm so......bugger.
I'll just carry on for a bit then.

cheers folks

You can do if you parry. The first boss is going to be very hard so I recommend spending another half hour or hour progressing outside, but you're not that far off the mark. Clear out The Forbidden Woods and the next zone, and any of the side bosses, and you'll be good. Just try to upgrade to +7 or +8.

You can also rush through the first zone ignoring enemies, and collect a shitload of amazing loot, including what is arguably the best weapon on the game.

lifa-cobex

You can do if you parry. The first boss is going to be very hard so I recommend spending another half hour or hour progressing outside, but you're not that far off the mark. Clear out The Forbidden Woods and the next zone, and any of the side bosses, and you'll be good. Just try to upgrade to +7 or +8.

You can also rush through the first zone ignoring enemies, and collect a shitload of amazing loot, including what is arguably the best weapon on the game.

I'm good at perrying but when you enter the central area with like three hunters, death swiftly follows.

But cheers for the tips peeps

Roussow

Slightly off-topic, but I was thinking after a few more hours with Bloodborne -- I'd hop back into Scholar of the First Sin, and maybe do a co-op playthrough of it. I started watching some DS2 gameplay, and holy fuck, you have so many frames of invincibility during some of those rolls, man. It looks shockingly easy compared to the Bloodborne I've been playing this week. To be fair, I haven't played it in a while, so I can't say for sure. But fuck, was Bloodborne always much more difficult? Or is it fairly comparable in difficulty considering the speed you can execute -- and the timing width of parries compared to other Souls games?

If there was any question left that the pizza cutter is insanly overpowered against bosses.
It wrecked Bloodstarved beast on NG++, i didn't even have top tier gems on it.

https://youtu.be/UyZ-cCoKfv4

I made a similar video, it was against an early Chalice Dungeon boss, but still, it's funny to watch it go down so swiftly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBU4HDEP17c

So I just started a new character going for a quality build and made a run for the Beast Cutter. I really like that thing. That transformed overhead is amazing! :D

Ogawa-san

The L2 for pizza cutter is a problem. That should use twice as much stamina as it does currently. I think everything else is fine though.
I'm expecting them to tone down its poise damage instead. I think the fact you can lock down a boss for as long as you hold L2 more of a problem than the damage it does.

I fought Defiled Watchdog with the pizza cutter last night. The fight has never been easier. Im level 120 with 45 strength and just absolutely destroyed him like 4 minutes. Hed get staggered drop to one leg id go to work on another limb before he does the wake up aoe, and in his cool down start up again, boom staggered again. Felt like a joke lol I love the weapon.

ironcreed

Banned
I am swamped to hell and back and was going to wait, but I went ahead and caved on this. It looks too damn good. Anyway, I am guessing it is installed with the patch (which I am just now downloading)? As I went to turn on my PS4 and it is showing as already installed.

myco666

Been a while since I cooped in this. Friend just got the DLC. What's the level / NG restrictions for summoning someone?

If you use password then none. I just did coop with lvl31 player with my lvl184 character.

edit.
Your level will be scaled down to hosts level so that you won't steamroll through everything for the host.

Maybesew

Question about the DLC. Would I be best served by creating a new character/game and playing it as designed on the first play thru, or should I continue playing it with my new game plus play thru. I only attempted Ludwing once, but before I spend much more time in the nightmare, I thought I might want to just start over.

taybul

Question about the DLC. Would I be best served by creating a new character/game and playing it as designed on the first play thru, or should I continue playing it with my new game plus play thru. I only attempted Ludwing once, but before I spend much more time in the nightmare, I thought I might want to just start over.

I'd play it with your NG+ so you can experience it immediately. Plus the gems you probably already have from dungeons will help a lot, no need to farm them again on your new character.

Top Bottom