• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

myco666

soo guys does anyone know the best chunk farming in the game post patch/dlc?

Chalices. There was one shared glyph in this thread that was said to be really easy and fast. I can look it up.

Question about the DLC. Would I be best served by creating a new character/game and playing it as designed on the first play thru, or should I continue playing it with my new game plus play thru. I only attempted Ludwing once, but before I spend much more time in the nightmare, I thought I might want to just start over.

I would say it is fine experience on NG+ even as a first experience as long as you are properly leveled and have +10 weapons with decent gems. That being said the DLC is hard and if you are on NG you can overlevel it to be easier where as on NG+ you can't overlevel as much.

I think the post-well, pre-bonfire section of the Hamlet works best as a dodging gauntlet rather than a slow, methodical clear-out. There aren't many rewards hidden around, and those that are are fairly pedestrian. Racing through the hut door and finding the bonfire as the -- uh -- giant things crashed against the doorframe behind me was such a cathartic moment. The roof-tops and caverns with the stalking moments were some of my favourites. :)

Oh, that's definitely the best way to handle it, and also why I consider it pretty poor, mechanically.

If the best way for me to experience your content is to completely ignore it (the first half of Yahar'ghul and honestly most of the Nightmare areas, probably half of DS2, etc.) and just sprint through without stopping, then I really have to question the design decisions you made creating that content.

The Fishing Hamlet is wonderfully creepy and atmospheric, and honestly deserved better than a "flood of enemies in standard cheesy ambush patterns" design approach. A design that made me take it slow and pay attention to everything around me (rather than just splurging out a mess of rushdown enemies in packs with obvious "bait" ranged attackers and scattered blatant explosive urn traps) would have played to the strengths of the environment design much, much better.

The second half (the caverns) handles it a lot better, but by that point you've already zoomed past most of the best parts of the environment. (The pools of writhing invertebrates are pretty interesting, but the caves themselves are really just pretty standard caves.)

Maybesew

Chalices. There was one shared glyph in this thread that was said to be really easy and fast. I can look it up.

I would say it is fine experience on NG+ even as a first experience as long as you are properly leveled and have +10 weapons with decent gems. That being said the DLC is hard and if you are on NG you can overlevel it to be easier where as on NG+ you can't overlevel as much.

I have a plus 10 saw cleaver, and i think my gems are ok, but I never went and ran chalice dungeons for best in slot type stuff.

myco666

I have a plus 10 saw cleaver, and i think my gems are ok, but I never went and ran chalice dungeons for best in slot type stuff.

You should be fine with the weapon then. Chalice gems definitely are not mandatory and the ones you can find in the main game are more than enough.

Hugstable

Banned
Alright finally made my new character up to level 67 so I think it's time to start the DLC on NG. My old character was on NG+++ and I heard about how hard the DLC was on anything after NG, so I freaked out and just made a whole new character. Was really surprised that it didn't take my long at all to get past ROM and hit past level 60. Haven't really even played the game since launch, but I somehow still had everything memorized (then again playing a game 3 times through would probably do that lol)

ethomaz

Banned
I need help.

I'm near the
Orphan of Kos
boss but at the end of a passage with two frenzy enemies I found 2 big monsters (one on floor and other on a ladder).

I can't kill them alone... I can even reach the battle against the two of them at the same time but I die every single time.

Can somebody help me?

Edit - I have to get my girlfriend now... so maybe somebody can help me later ;)

RiggyRob

Episode 9, Pimmsy vs. Flora: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1nebmOsBY0

Ok, so this video takes a bit of explaining - we thought this NPC was more significant than she actually is, mainly because of the dialogue both when Pimmsy died and when she won, because it was the first time we saw either parts.

We didn't realise that what the Doll says is actually just random, and she says it when she's asleep, but she's very clearly standing up in the video, so I don't know why it happened, we thought we triggered it.

There isn't any significance to either of the NPCs near the surgery altar right?

HORRORSHØW

I need help.

I'm near the
Orphan of Kos
boss but at the end of a passage with two frenzy enemies I found 2 big monsters (one on floor and other on a ladder).

I can't kill them alone... I can even reach the battle against the two of them at the same time but I die every single time.

Can somebody help me?
ah, the infamous well of sorrow and broken dreams

the common strategy is to use the shaman bone when both are on the ground. they will fight each other, and hopefully the one you were beating on will be killed by the other one. you can then easily kill off the remaining one.

Akara

Banned
Alright finally made my new character up to level 67 so I think it's time to start the DLC on NG. My old character was on NG+++ and I heard about how hard the DLC was on anything after NG, so I freaked out and just made a whole new character. Was really surprised that it didn't take my long at all to get past ROM and hit past level 60. Haven't really even played the game since launch, but I somehow still had everything memorized (then again playing a game 3 times through would probably do that lol)

That was a good choice but I think you should've went for it anyway XD

Naite

I needed a break from using the pizza cutter and boom hammer, am now loving the Beasthunter Saif just for the transformed R1's range and recovery and it's transformation attacks. The mobility is just so good. Tested it against OoK and was getting hit way less. Now I just need some better gems than the half-ass str-scaling build I gave it.

Zocano

Grimløck;187908504 said:
ah, the infamous well of sorrow and broken dreams

the common strategy is to use the shaman bone when both are on the ground. they will fight each other, and hopefully the one you were beating on will be killed by the other one. you can then easily kill off the remaining one.

Do people not know you can cheese those fucks from the ledge? Aggro the one already on the floor with a throwing dagger and wack away with impunity.

myco666

Do people not know you can cheese those fucks from the ledge? Aggro the one already on the floor with a throwing dagger and wack away with impunity.

To be honest I only just figured out you could aim using monocular and I've played this game for 200hours. No way you can hit that guy without using it so I went with the hard way of just smacking them in the face with Wheel.

Zocano

To be honest I only just figured out you could aim using monocular and I've played this game for 200hours. No way you can hit that guy without using it so I went with the hard way of just smacking them in the face with Wheel.

It was something I picked up a long time ago (forgot from where?). Might've been an ENB video.

I did it without using the monocular, its really easy, you just have to realize that the knife starts to fall, so you have to aim higher up

When I've seen the Monocular/Binoculars used, it's usually with a long range spell, and there aren't any in Bloodborne.

Does it work with Simon's Bowblade?

I never even knew you could use the monocular that way. Guess I can try, but it would make no sense since the bow is 2 handed.

konjak

When I've seen the Monocular/Binoculars used, it's usually with a long range spell, and there aren't any in Bloodborne.

Does it work with Simon's Bowblade?

I did a quick run through the game using only arrows, and yes, you can FPS the bow. Thing is, it has pathetic range for a bow, so it's not like you can snipe things very far.

myco666

It was something I picked up a long time ago (forgot from where?). Might've been an ENB video.

It is weird since I knew about you being able to use binoculars for aiming in DaS but didn't realize it here.

I did it without using the monocular, its really easy, you just have to realize that the knife starts to fall, so you have to aim higher up

Really? I had problem even throwing things at its direction.

RiggyRob

I never even knew you could use the monocular that way. Guess I can try, but it would make no sense since the bow is 2 handed.

Your guy must just squeeze the Monocular really tightly with his cheek muscles!

I did a quick run through the game using only arrows, and yes, you can FPS the bow. Thing is, it has pathetic range for a bow, so it's not like you can snipe things very far.

Well I'll be god-damned, it works. You can aim using the monocular with the bowblade, it works perfectly.

Yes it does.

Good to know you can snipe with it, we haven't actually found it yet.

Ferr986

With 40STR/20SKL/45 ARC I'm finally getting to the point that my Moonlight does almost the same damage per swing than my Ludwigs .

Do you think it's worth leveling ARC to 50? I'm not sure much how the L2/R2 scales with Arcane. I would like to level STR or SKL, or even VIT (at 40 right now) but if those 5 points on ARC makes a difference on the L2/R2 beams I would up that.

I'm 125, I would stop either at 130, or 140 if it's truly necesary.

Also, I wonder how viable would be to turn my Pizza Cutter to ARC scaling with a fire gem. I love it as a secondary weapon but if I don't reach 50 STR I'm not sure I'll get the most out of it...

Can I ask what the general consensus on this DLC is? I've been avoiding discussion because I'm a spoiler baby.

In the context of Bloodborne: the DLC is fairly mediocre in comparison to the base game.

In the more general context: mediocre Bloodborne is still better than 95% of what's on the market, and one of the biggest complaints I had about the game was that there just wasn't enough of it, so it's hard not to call this a worthwhile investment.

For people who didn't like the core game for whatever reason, it's unlikely to change your mind; yes there are some new weapons that support some (very slight variations on) new play styles, but there are no massive fulcrum shifts. For people who did like the core game, it should give you exactly what you need: more Bloodborne.

Marc

Laurence has broken me, I am a broken man... just pieces.

The guy is impossible, I have solo'd everyone so far in the Souls games and this game (haven't beaten the other DLC bosses past
maria
yet). And only really had issues with a couple of bosses (
thought ludvig was a piece of piss
), but always thought I could do it. This giant prick however is just cheap as hell, AOE on everything, 1-2 hit kills, poor area with the camera getting you trapped.

I can get to the last phase, but I can't get in and out enough to do any real damage before dying. Tried with
Valtr
but he just runs in head first and dies like a punk, leaving me with a stat boosted mofo.

Basically rage quit, ugh. Need to see this as optional and move on.

With 40STR/20SKL/45 ARC I'm finally getting to the point that my Moonlight does almost the same damage per swing than my Ludwigs .

Do you think it's worth leveling ARC to 50? I'm not sure much how the L2/R2 scales with Arcane. I would like to level STR or SKL, or even VIT (at 40 right now) but if those 5 points on ARC makes a difference on the L2/R2 beams I would up that.

I'm 125, I would stop either at 130, or 140 if it's truly necesary.

Also, I wonder how viable would be to turn my Pizza Cutter to ARC scaling with a fire gem. I love it as a secondary weapon but if I don't reach 50 STR I'm not sure I'll get the most out of it...

Well it will stop scaling with str when you make it a fire weapon. It will only scale with your arcane it that case. The only mixed scaling elemental weapons are those that already have natural elemental damage.

Dynedom

Finally went after the Cainhurst hunter in
Eileen's
quest. The quest got bugged on my first playthrough earlier in the year so finally got to face this dude.

I guess I was too over-leveled. Went after him (level 96) with a +10 Holy Sword (silver blade mode) and only a +2 Hunter Pistol. He ended up just continuously running into my charged R2. I died about 2 times at him before I realized this (I did get one good visceral in on him during the match).

I think I got lucky because he didn't spam his own vials when I finally killed him.

=\

Blades of Mercy and I'm running a STR build LOL.

Ferr986

Well it will stop scaling with str when you make it a fire weapon. It will only scale with your arcane it that case. The only mixed scaling elemental weapons are those that already have natural elemental damage.

Thanks. I expected much.

I'm still not sure on what to do. I'll maybe back up the save and test how much damage I get for each stat....

I actually just beat him! Thanks for the offer again though!

Glad to hear that! Beating a hard boss solo always feels good :)

SpokkX

So which of the dlc weapons (got them all) would be the best to level up for a character with these stats:

End 35
Str 40
Skill 40
Arc 10
Blood 10

Using Ludvigs +10 and i would like something to complement it.. Advice?

Top Bottom