• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 07•01-03•16 - Tarzan-a-doodoo can't Purge Dory, BFG = BOMBA FAIL GOOSE-EGG

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the thing about horror movies and why studios love them. They cost peanuts and have a large enough built in audience that even the incredibly shitty ones are almost 100% guaranteed to make bank.

Don't tell me the purge is considered a horror movie now also

I wouldn't even classify Purge as a horror franchise, I don't think it's got a lot of gore in it

Low budget action thriller probably makes more sense

xaosslug

bjGZ8Qt.jpg

... did they forget one zero at the Purge budget ? lol

according to mojo og Purge cost $3m, and Anarchy cost $9m, so I would say that's right on. These movies are cheap af to produce. LOL

Mato

That BFG poster looks like an old man's idea of a blockbuster. Boring and silly. Who wants to watch that. And that stupid nightgown, I hate it so much. Sorry Steve.

Sean C

Steven hasn't been a box-office draw as of late and his recent films are meh to be honest, not surprised by the result.
Spielberg's last two films were Lincoln and Bridge of Spies, both adult-targeted dramas rather than blockbusters; the former was a gigantic hit, the latter was in the solid-if-unexceptional range.

I called Purge a horror franchise because it follows the same sort of rules in production and box office performance. Low cost, very frontloaded, etc. I don't think it's far removed from a slasher flick in terms of studio expectations and audience turnout.

according to mojo og Purge cost $3m, and Anarchy cost $9m, so I would say that's right on. These movies are cheap af to produce. LOL

Ethan Hawke will work for favours apparently. Nah man, I don't need a paycheck, just help me move my new fridge into the house and we're cool.

The BFG's best known over here for the animated Cosgrove Hall film from the Eighties, with David Jason as the BFG. I never got the sense the book as considered top-tier Dahl, but that film is beloved.

The BFG's lovely. I wish the new movie was doing better. :(

kswiston

I legit can't remember the last time a Spielberg film bombed that hard.

The Adventures of Tin Tin. Holiday legs helped it out a bit, but the domestic take was still less than $80M on a budget about the same size as The BFG. Overseas saved that film from being a disaster though. We'll see how BFG does overseas.

I don't think anyone even remembers War Horse anymore but it didn't do this poorly at the BO.

No. $80M domestic and close to $180M worldwide on a $66M budget. Not amazing, but not poor either.

The new blockbuster bomb based on an Edgar Rice Burroughs property loses out to the new movie by the writer/director of the previous blockbuster bomb based on an Edgar Rice Burroughs property.

Wasn't there someone here who claimed it will be the highest grossing movie of all time? Lol

I posted in a few threads weeks to months before Warcraft's release along the lines of "so how many weeks until Warcraft overtakes The Force Awaken's worldwide gross?" and it seemed to get quite a few interesting responses.

Any new news regarding the potential of a Warcraft sequel? Seems for it to happen they'd have to really reduce the budget... which may be feasible if they reuse all the assets developed for this film.

Sulik2

Disney eating its own tail with the insane legs their hits have these days. BFG shouldn't have been a summer movie.

kswiston

China Box Office Updates:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - $26M (opening weekend)
Now You See Me 2 - $82M total
Independence Day Resurrection - $67M total
Finding Dory - $36M total (probably won't hit $40M)
Warcraft - $221M total (Using today's exchange. pretty much done at this point)

Count me amongst those that didn't expect Tarzan to have as good of an OW as it did. Too bad it's budget was insanely high. I don't think even China will save it.

Kinda surprised to see The BFG do so poorly. I'm also in the camp that never heard of the kid's book, but I somehow managed to never hear of some pretty popular kid's books until their film release (like Cloudy w/ a Chance of Meatballs). Not sure how much it played a role, but I remember thinking the billboards for the BFG looked pretty plain and boring.

3N16MA

Banned
Count me amongst those that didn't expect Tarzan to have as good of an OW as it did. Too bad it's budget was insanely high. I don't think even China will save it.

Kinda surprised to see The BFG do so poorly. I'm also in the camp that never heard of the kid's book, but I somehow managed to never hear of some pretty popular kid's books until their film release (like Cloudy w/ a Chance of Meatballs). Not sure how much it played a role, but I remember thinking the billboards for the BFG looked pretty plain and boring.

It's sandwiched between Dory and Pets. It had disaster written all over it.

kswiston

It has not been a good year for Warner Bros.

It's been a pretty bad year for most studios other than Disney.

Warner Bros at least has Suicide Squad and Fantastic Beasts to look forward to. It'd guess that those two will end up making about $500M domestic between them.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
This is wrong. Disney coproduced and co-financed it; I don't think Dreamworks is even credited on the film.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/s...ing-turn-with-walt-disney-studios-1201471319/

Steven has an Dreamworks deal with Disney through their Touchstone banner with them.

Backstory on the BFG:
In addition, as Spielberg's shop moves more into the family space, it could run up against part of the deal that forbids DreamWorks from making animated films for any company other than DWA. A live-action family film from DreamWorks currently cannot go out through Disney proper — only Touchstone, its label for adult fare. That's why Disney insists DreamWorks has nothing to do with The BFG, the Spielberg-directed family movie co-financed by Disney that is set to open July 1. Instead, the film will bear the logo of Amblin Entertainment, which preceded DreamWorks and could be an alternate name for the company.

Disney sold much of the international territories to boot. They didn't have much faith in the product either

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/will-steven-spielberg-drop-dreamworks-826201
http://deadline.com/2016/07/tarzan-...tional-box-office-weekend-results-1201782497/

Vinny leading me astray AGAIN

Lies

It's sandwiched between Dory and Pets. It had disaster written all over it.

Yep. Compared to animated animal hi-jinks - especially one of those being a sequel to a super popular film - a film with a nice, gentle giant probably isn't likely to win out for most people.

It's definitely a film that seems weighted to those who have fond memories of the book, as none of the trailers I saw for it made it seem like a film I'd be thrilled to see if I was a kid.

kswiston

Anyone in for 300M DOM for Pets?

I'm not sure. Minions had relatively poor legs for an animated film, and the early reviews for Pets are sort of middling (that 6.3 average on RT makes me think that the 84% it currently enjoys will tumble when we get more reviews).

carlsojo

That's the thing about horror movies and why studios love them. They cost peanuts and have a large enough built in audience that even the incredibly shitty ones are almost 100% guaranteed to make bank.

It's really weird that we don't see more of them. Like only a few a year really.

kswiston

The last movie before The BFG I liked was München. Ten years of bad movies.

I don't think you can call Lincoln or Bridge of Spies bad movies.

It's really weird that we don't see more of them. Like only a few a year really.

We have already had 6-7 low budget horror/thriller movies hit wide release this year. I'm sure that number will be well over a dozen by the end of the year. Most of them just don't stick in people's memory more than a week or two.

I don't think you can call Lincoln or Bridge of Spies bad movies.

I can. I just called them bad movies. :)

Bridge of Spies was all sorts of mediocre, Rylance was the only thing I liked in it. I hate those Spielbergian "sweet" worlds he creates. Every character was just kind and mellow. There was absolutely no suspense in the movie. Like a thriller for children. It was like a sweet little thing with all fluffy people and little laughs, although it was supposed be dramatic. Historical DDR was not like that at all. Just too sweet, I got bored. Compare it to Son of Saul and you'll get what I mean.

Lincoln was boring. Again, the main guy made the movie. Daniel was just awesome. Otherwise bland. I don't have a sweet spot for American history.

We have already had 6-7 low budget horror/thriller movies hit wide release this year. I'm sure that number will be well over a dozen by the end of the year. Most of them just don't stick in people's memory more than a week or two.

Yeah, 95% of mainstream horror is awful. Luckily we have few hits here and there.

3N16MA

Banned
I'm not sure. Minions had relatively poor legs for an animated film, and the early reviews for Pets are sort of middling (that 6.3 average on RT makes me think that the 84% it currently enjoys will tumble when we get more reviews).

It might end up somewhere between DM2 and Minions when it comes to how well it plays with critics.

How much of an impact does reviews have on animated family films? It seems like something like Pets can do more than 250M with decent reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom