• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BoAS moves Doomsday Clock forward to 11:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Searched, didn't find, etc.

The current time is 5 minutes to midnight.

The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists will host a live international news conference at 11 a.m. EST/1600 GMT on January 22, 2015 to announce the recent decision of its Science and Security Board as to whether or not the minute hand of the historic “Doomsday Clock” will be adjusted.

The last time the Doomsday Clock minute hand moved was in January 2012, when the Clock’s minute hand was pushed ahead one minute from six to five minutes before midnight. Climate change and increasing concerns about nuclear weapons are the main factors influencing the decision about any additional adjustment that may be made to the Doomsday Clock.

http://thebulletin.org/press-release/%E2%80%9Cdoomsday-clock%E2%80%9D-minute-hand-move-again7943

You may now proceed with your Watchmen GIFs.

watchmen_screenshot__doomsday_clock_by_monsieurbubbles-d73kc74.jpg

Volimar

The clock used to be a good illustration of how close humanity could be to a point of no return, etc. But I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that we're really any closer to doomsday than we were five years ago. The possibility of moving ahead a minute seems like catering to the people that feel less safe instead of relying on hard data.

*shrug*

That's just the way it looks to me.

Valhelm

contribute something
The clock used to be a good illustration of how close humanity could be to a point of no return, etc. But I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that we're really any closer to doomsday than we were five years ago. The possibility of moving ahead a minute seems like catering to the people that feel less safe instead of relying on hard data.

*shrug*

It's all sensationalist fearmongering anyway. I really doubt that a group of physicists are foremost experts on geopolitical stability.

Meffer

*shrug*

I believe that's why we're joking around in this thread. But yeah, you're right. Enjoy life and be chill.

Futureman

people who work at this group probably think they are so important. EVERYONE LISTEN UP, WE ARE MOVING THE HANDS ON OUR FAKE, FEAR INDUCING CLOCK!!1

Doc Az

Neo Member
Apparently the last time it was at 4 minutes to midnight was in 1981, when the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan, and the US pulled out of the Olympics. Not really seeing much of the massive cause of alarm to move it forward, honestly. I think the current 5 minutes till we fry is still an OK estimate.

Mandatory:

Also yes, yes indeed

xsarien

daedsiluap
I enjoy the pure symbolism of the clock, but yeah, I don't look at it as anything really more than an interesting, anachronistic...thing.

It's a cool way to illustrate your group's particular opinion of the state of the world, basically. Accuracy. though? Eh.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I... I... didn't know there was a doomsday clock. We are all going to die.

This seems like a cool thing they could reference in some apocalypse game like Fallout. Go through a lab and find this clock, stick ticking, with a year and day way off from when doomsday actually happened to sort of poke fun at how arbitrary it is.

BadHand

So the clock was moved ahead by two minutes. It now read 11:57 (3 minutes to midnight).

The closest it has been since 1984.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom