• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 3 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meliorism

I'm so glad this show is back. Loved the premiere.

Also,

I'll use this if it's okay:

w2KIf.gif

TheOddOne

This episode was pretty much Walt trying to forget his past and his actions, e.g. the burning of the money, auditorium and closing his deal with Gus. Gives a new dimension to Walt, because he's usually the realist.

Enjoyed it immensely, cannot wait for next weeks episode.

xbhaskarx

Wow, great episode.

So do you guys think the twins were planning to kill everyone in the truck once they got to the US all along, or did they do it because that one dude was bragging about his involvement with some gangsters and noticed the boots?
I'm assuming the latter...

KingDirk

The kinds of lies Walter told and his behavior--including, mind missing the birth of his daughter--kinda precludes rational explanations. She clearly knew he wasn't doing stuff on the up-and-up.

Dang it waiting between episodes is gonna be tough. :lol

Given the myriad opportunities Walter's had to get out of the game before now, I can't imagine he's going to stay out for very long.

border

I dunno -- this is starting to feel less like The Shield (badass) and more like The Sopranos after Season 2 (boring melodrama). I got tired of Tony and Carmella for 6 years, and I really hope Walt and Skylar goes in a much different direction.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The way I figure it, there's no point in killing them if the Cousins can stay anonymous. Killing a bunch of people and blowing up a truck, even in the middle of nowhere, is rather conspicuous. The act would only be more beneficial than risky if there was a chance of identification otherwise, so I also think it's the latter reasoning.

xbhaskarx

Edit: beaten.

TheOddOne said:
Anyone know why people where crawling to the statue? Is there something significant to crawling?

Santa Muerte

Santa Muerte is a deity or saint-like figure worshiped or venerated in Mexico, probably a syncretism between Mesoamerican and Catholic beliefs. The name literally translates to “Holy Death.”[1] Mexican culture since pre-Hispanic times has always maintained a certain reverence towards death,[2] which can be seen in the widespread Mexican celebration of the syncretic Day of the Dead.[3] Catholic elements of that celebration include the use of skeletons to remind people of their mortality.[4]
Santa Muerte generally appears as a skeletal figure, clad in a long robe and carrying one or more objects, usually a scythe and a globe. The robe is most often white, but images of the figure vary widely from person to person and according to the rite being performed or the petition of the devotee.[5] As the worship of this deity was clandestine until recently, most prayers and other rites are done privately in the home. However, for the past ten years or so, worship has become more public, especially in Mexico City.[4][6] The cult is condemned by the Catholic Church in Mexico, but it is firmly entrenched among Mexico’s lower classes and criminal worlds.[1] The number of believers in the deity has grown over the past ten to twenty years, to approximately two million followers in Mexico[2] and has crossed the border into Mexican communities in the United States.[3]

In the north of Mexico, Santa Muerte is venerated alongside Jesús Malverde, with altars containing both frequently found in drug busts.[10]

Remember Jesus Malverde from the DEA office in Negro y Azul last season...

Mexico is a two-tiered society. The cult of Santa Muerte attracts those who are not inclined to seek the traditional Catholic Church for spiritual solace, as it is part of the "legitimate" sector of society. Most followers of Santa Muerte live on the margin of the law or outside it entirely. Many drug traffickers, mobile vendors, taxi drivers, vendors of pirated merchandise, street people, prostitutes, pickpockets and gang members are not very religious, but neither are they atheists. In essence, they have created their own religion that reflects their realities, identity and practices, especially since it reflects the violence and struggles for life that many of these people face.[2]

Mexican authorities have linked the worship of Santa Muerte to prostitution, drug trafficking, kidnapping, smuggling and homicides.[1][2][9] Criminals, among her most fervent believers, are likely to pray to her for successful conclusion of a job as well as escaping from the police or jail. In the north of Mexico, she is venerated along with Jesús Malverde, the so called “Saint of Drug Traffickers.” Altars with images of Santa Muerte have been found in many drug houses in both Mexico and the United States.[2]

I couldn't find anything about the crawling specifically...

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
AlternativeUlster said:
Anyone else think that by the end of the series Walt isn't going to die but actually become a master kingpin of meth?
Personally, I think he's gonna sacrifice his own life for either his family and/or Jesse.

xbhaskarx

Okay, I did a Google search and found this article from 2009:

The saints march in to drug wars

Santa Muerte often is associated with drugs, brutality and other crimes. Their followers pray for protection from law enforcement and safety during drug deals.

Offerings often are marijuana or alcohol. Blowing smoke in the saint's face is believed to awaken her powers.

Almonte started researching the topic. He made several trips to Mexico, trying to understand the culture behind patron saints of the crime world.

Despite the association with criminal behavior, he said, it's important to note not all Santa Muerte followers are criminals.

While in Mexico, Almonte went to shrines and participated in processions where more than 6,000 people gathered to worship Santa Muerte, kneeling and crawling after her statue.

Stricken with poverty and struggling in life, most of the followers seemed to be seeking help from whatever source they could find, he said.

But some other Santa Muerte followers have gone to greatly brutal lengths to please their saint.

Almonte recalls a case in Tijuana, Mexico, a few years ago when a member of a small crime organization owed about $7,000 to the organization leaders.

"When he finally confessed he spent the money, they cut his legs and arms off and offered it to Santa Muerte," he said.

The man's head was never found. One of the group members insisted Santa Muerte had taken it, Almonte said.

Almonte now goes around the country teaching a class on patron saints of the underground Mexican drug war.

"I want officers to become familiar with these religious icons that the criminal may have in their possession because I want this to serve as a red flag," Almonte said.

There it is...

xbhaskarx

Cornballer said:

Vince Gilligan, who wrote this one, gave Cranston plenty of cool material to shoot with the Cousins (who very much come off like a silent pair of Anton Chigurhs from "No Country For Old Men")

As Walt tried to tell Skyler, then Jesse, how complicated certain scenarios were ("there were many factors at play"), I got a real "Big Lebowski" vibe: "This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous."

I thought the same thing. But of course I pretty much see the Coen brothers influence everywhere, so I'm glad it's not just me...

TheOddOne

xbhaskarx said:
I thought the same thing. But of course I pretty much see the Coen brothers influence everywhere, so I'm glad it's not just me...
I got the No Country For Old Men vibe mostly at the truck scene, expecially when one of the twins shoots the truck driver. The camera angle maby tringerd it, but it felt like No Country.

Great premiere. I'm intrigued by where they're going with the twins, although i found them more bizarre and comical, than menacing.

I got a Coen Bros vibe in the truck scene as well. Mostly because of the cinematography. This show looks frakking amazing.

I wrote in last seasons thread that i would be disappointed if they placed the plane crash on Walt's conscience and i definitely still am. I think it was a poor move and was actually kind of hoping Gilligan would find a way around it. It has supplied some fantastic moments thus far, however. Walt rationalizing his role in it in front of the faculty and students was extremely uncomfortable to watch. I was squirming in my chair. :lol

The scene between Walt and Skylar and her reaction to the truth was superb.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Cornballer said:
- Sepinwall's writeup

Interesting tidbit about the explosion:

:D

Fucking awesome episode.

And I called it last season, there was some guy here claiming "oh no they won't even address the plane crashing thing." But it was the theme of the episode. Fucking brilliance. Best show on TV. Bar none. Nothing comes close.

BIVIANO!

I reckon the cousin/Walt confrontation comes to fruition in the next couple episodes, forcing Walt to seek protection. He ends up going to Gus, who will only provide it in exchange for his services. Or he ends up needing more money to fulfill whatever strategy Saul concocts and in doing so, makes the deal with Gus.

Excellent season opener.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm gonna take the shows title card gif for an avatar. Thanks!

EDIT: Anyone else bugged by whatever happened to Skylar's face?

Kafarabo

Banned
I was feeling so uneasy when
those two guys went to the random family with the little daughter and took their clothes. They stood there just staring at the daughter i thought they were gunna rape her or something.

Yeah. I knew Walt was going to do something like that in the gym.

Also, Walt Jr is awesome. No matter how crazy Walt was towards him last season (making him drink that liquor) , Walt Jr still loves his father.

BTW, that was a creepy scene last season when Walt's DEA brother-in-law was going to stop it, and Walt got pissed, telling him to back down.

Spotless Mind said:
Great premiere. I'm intrigued by where they're going with the twins, although i found them more bizarre and comical, than menacing.

Yeah, same here, I thought of these guys:

500px-DesperadoRocketCase-2.jpg

But that's awesome anyway.

I'm glad the show is back. I just wish my AMC was hi-def. I'm sick of watching it in crap quality.

Amazing show, amazing first episode. And Skylar finding out about Walt in the first episode bodes well for the rest of the season.

Speculation:
Gus is really creepy. I can't see him taking no for answer so calmly.

I'm guessing the Twins (brothers?) are from the Cartel mentioned in S1/2 and are in town to appease Tuco's death.

Spotless Mind said:
I wrote in last seasons thread that i would be disappointed if they placed the plane crash on Walt's conscience and i definitely still am. I think it was a poor move and was actually kind of hoping Gilligan would find a way around it. It has supplied some fantastic moments thus far, however. Walt rationalizing his role in it in front of the faculty and students was extremely uncomfortable to watch. I was squirming in my chair. :lol
I agree - might have been better if he never realized his role in it. However, it does put a huge focus on Walt's denial and delusion about everything. His attempts to justify things (at the assembly, to Skylar, to Jesse) were appalling. Great acting job from Cranston. I'm wondering where they take his character this season - he still hasn't fully accepted that his family life is messed up, nor has he taken any responsibility for anything. Wonder if he'll head in the direction of feeling guilty at some point or if this all just continues to take him further down the path of a callous drug lord.

Dark Knight

Neo Member
Thought the opener was fantastic. I had forgotten how good of a director Cranston is. Some of those shots were amazing, and really loved how the episode felt.

Talk about uncomfortable, that assembly was bad to watch, and then we got Walt's talk with Skylar.

Incredible and powerful. I'm so glad the show is back.

Buckethead said:
Maybe it's because I'm desensitized because I've known lots of people who used to watch out for cops because their parents cooked meth, but yeah, given Walt's demeanor and history I wouldn't react that harshly.

Fair enough, but that's not the world Skylar's lived in. I wouldn't expect her to think it's ok to allow her children to grow up becoming complict in the drug trade.

Not to mention that you can't deny that it's a dangerous environment for a kid to grow up in: See -
the episodes where Walt and Jessie dealt with the effects meth has on people.

What really annoys me is she asks no questions. If she were to gank the kids as some sort of gut reaction, that's fine, but she clearly premeditated the
divorce papers
off of an assumption *only*.
Then when given the opportunity she doesn't ask any other questions.

A very strong assumption, which she managed to reach through gradually deconstructing his many lies.

And when given the opportunity, she was able to perceive what Walt did. It's not as if Walt did a very good job of hiding his profession since he started taking it up.

So he makes meth, does that make him a bad father? Is that sufficient reason to take away a son from a father? This of course is taking into account that Walt was repentant and clearly wanted Skylar back and was ready to give up "the life".

Being someone who puts his kids in danger through his own choices in life does in fact make him a bad father.

As for taking the son away from his father - Walt Jr. still sees his dad, albeit in school.

Though, if she really wanted to be a "real bitch," she would just
tell the kids and Hankabout Walt's drug dealing occupation.

I bet that bizzle be cheating. For sheezy. Like for awhile now.

Maybe... we'll see.

daw840

Oh man. While I loved this episode soo much, it was just so full of setup for future episodes that it was frustrating. I still loved it anyways. All this episode did was make this week drag on forever until the next ep.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Goddamn those twins are evil. It's like they put two Chigurhs together.

Also, I feel bad for laughing so hard at the gym scene :lol

AnkitT

I freakin loved the nod to the walt burning money scene to the twins burning the truck later. Also loved his dialogue at the gym. Good episode, hoping for a good show in the season.

KingGondo

Banned
I love the Jesse-Walt dynamic.

One is bad and desperately wants to convince himself (and the world) he's good.

One is good and desperately wants to convince himself (and the world) he's bad.

My guess for the direction of the season:
Walt comes to some kind of truce with Skylar--contact with Walt Jr. and the baby, etc. Things start to get better, then Jesse finds out Walt turned down the $3 million and drags Saul into it. Saul and Jesse convince Walt that he's being a pussy and that he has nothing to lose. Meanwhile, Los Hermanos Malos close in on Walt and even start to threaten the one thing Walt has--his family. Hank will also realize at some point that Walt is involved in the drug trade, even if he doesn't think he's "Heisenberg."

Holepunch

The sad thing is I thought Walt had the perfect lie to get out of being ousted as a drug dealer.

No, he's a GAMBLING MAN. He made the fortune off of some high stakes bets that he didn't want to tell his wife about because no spouse would like to hear about their spouse gambling with large sums of money. The second cellphone? His bookie. Of course this was all done out of love for providing for his family.

Then of course his wife tells her sister and her sister tells Walt's brother-in-law and suddenly word spreads that Walt is the man to go to win big money. Now suddenly Walt has to earn enough money to provide for himself and his family AND pay off the people coming to him to keep the illusion alive.

Of course, that's just too predictable, so the writers just have to throw that concept right out the window.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Holepunch said:
The sad thing is I thought Walt had the perfect lie to get out of being ousted as a drug dealer.

No, he's a GAMBLING MAN. He made the fortune off of some high stakes bets that he didn't want to tell his wife about because no spouse would like to hear about their spouse gambling with large sums of money. The second cellphone? His bookie. Of course this was all done out of love for providing for his family.

Then of course his wife tells her sister and her sister tells Walt's brother-in-law and suddenly word spreads that Walt is the man to go to win big money. Now suddenly Walt has to earn enough money to provide for himself and his family AND pay off the people coming to him to keep the illusion alive.

Of course, that's just too predictable, so the writers just have to throw that concept right out the window.
Heh, that was in a MITM episode too. Or at least, Hal thought he hit the jackpot in a dream :lol

Great episode last night...I really hope his wife gets caught for her cheating ways from the last season since
she made him feel super guilty about him and his drug dealing. Then used it for leverage for the divorce (Having no contact with his family, really?)

Ashhong

Spotless Mind said:

I got a Coen Bros vibe in the truck scene as well. Mostly because of the cinematography. This show looks frakking amazing.

The scene between Walt and Skylar and her reaction to the truth was superb.

i think i wrote in last seasons thread telling you that there was no way they wouldnt place it on his conscience =P

oh also to maharg

maharg said:
It would take Walt finding out all of the following for him to piece it together:
- That the flight crashed because of an air traffic controller losing his concentration
- That the ATC who failed was the guy he met at the bar (and he has to remember Q)
- That Q was Jane's father

I think if he finds all those things out, it will strain the shows credibility for me.

what now maharg!
dont ban me!

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Seems like the amount of people who are watching now are much more than last yea and the year before that. Page 4 and only the first episode was shown. The last thread made it to only 11 pages. I can't find the first season's thread though.

Ratings news!
'Breaking Bad' return hits series high

The return of AMC's "Breaking Bad" was the show's highest-rated episode ever.

Sunday night's season three opener drew 2 million viewers, a number that rose to 3.3 million when you include the episode's dual repeat airings. Overall, that's up 17% from the "Breaking" season two premiere.

Just finished watching season two of "Breaking Bad" in a marathon this weekend and my opinion of this drama is through the roof. AMC's "Mad Men" may get all the promotion and praise (by comparison, its debut last season drew 2.9 million viewers). "Breaking Bad" likewise feels like a wholly original creation, yet adds a narrative that keeps you glued to the screen; with creator Vince Gilligan -- like Shawn Ryan when he ran the similarly taunt "The Shield" -- keeping the needs of the viewer front and center.

AlternativeUlster said:
I can't find the first season's thread though.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237554

Gus Fring gives me a Brother Mouzone vibe. Just from how they're both articulate and seemingly very professional. Whether or not Gus is a bad ass like Mouzone, well have to see.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
That was great, walts speech in the faculty, had me cringing in a good way.:lol his acting is so good.

Skylar having a good idea of what's going on already, is a good move on the writers part. But i wonder, how she is going react when she gets the full story on walts deeds. And will hank find out by the end of the season i wonder?

Didn't expect jesse to get out of rehab, so early in the series. The scene with him and walt in the hotel, was a excellent scene.

The twins were pretty bad-ass, the scene where they stole clothes from that family, had my heart pumping.:lol

Only disappointment with the premiere, was the lack of saul goodman.>_>

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
backflip10019 said:
Awesome. Season 4 confirmed?

As for one, I got my father to watch with me. He enjoys Mad Men and Sons of Anarchy (no thanks), but he said that this episode was really really good ... which is a lot knowing him.
I'm kinda hoping this is the last season. Because i'm not so sure, how things can get any worse then what's happening right now.:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom