• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF meet - Manchester - Saturday 30th August

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

D5Y1Qt5.jpg

I'm organising a night out for the end of August to show some buddies my new place and generally go out and have a giggle. All welcome, come along and meet some fellow nerds!

pQx4ImK.jpg

Saturday 30th August - 8pm-9pm until late

9XZ8bU4.jpg

Piccadilly, Deansgate and Northern Quarter

WC1giYW.jpg

Some of my BritGAF peeps are meeting at mine early evening for a housewarming, then we'll be heading into town for more frolics and merriment. Planning on the following bars and clubs:

The Courtyard - student bar, super cheap, great outdoor area

7m9gKJS.jpg

JAmHkmG.jpg

Grand Central - scummy rock bar to appease the metal heads

96lkhcp.jpg

LBQArfs.jpg

Star and Garter - gay bar :p

f2pd0zU.jpg

aQqOnYO.jpg

The Temple - used to be a bog, Guy Garvey's favourite place, nuff said

8sxspl8.jpg

KndNR5q.jpg

Fab Cafe - sci-fi themed bar, perfect for a bunch of nerds

BHsy31t.jpg

ueVbf44.jpg

Band on the Wall - really cool bar in Northern Quarter, great music

QUcDQLP.jpg

8fB5XPE.jpg

Mint Lounge - awesome funk, soul and hip-hop night on a Saturday

3fKU9xz.jpg

V9qIYHw.jpg

Anywhere else people fancy, throw some ideas at me!

A77Lt62.jpg

NinjaBoiX
Musha_Soturi
Mikeside
Jedeye Sniv (and his lady possibly)
dapperbandit
sploatee (and her lady)
Hystzen
BlazingDarkness
CHEEZMO
show me your skeleton
SymbiantXenos
Dash_
Other people you probably don't know

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Obviously I'm gonna shout out for gay village and or star and garter. Because I always go there and I am a creature of habit.

Looking forward to it!!

SteveWD40

As said, I get married that weekend so I can't make it.

Obviously I'm gonna shout out for gay village and or star and garter. Because I always go there and I am a creature of habit.

Looking forward to it!!

Wait, the Star and Garter on Fairfield? the one that looks like it's condemned? people actually go there?!?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
As said, I get married that weekend so I can't make it.

Wait, the Star and Garter on Fairfield? the one that looks like it's condemned? people actually go there?!?

Sniff sniff. Yes they do and it's a jolly good time! 1st Friday of every month is Smiths night and it's full of Morrissey impersonators. Honestly, it's great fun getting drunk with a bunch of Morrisseys.

edit: @Mush gaaay bar gaaay bar gaaay bar. That's 2 for the queers!!!

edit edit: Ninj, E is also gonna be in attendance.

edit edit edit: Might I also suggest (a bit more helpfully):

Fab Café - top nerd bar, with lots of sci-fi memorabilia, a dalek you can sit and drink in and retro gaming tables (think space invaders etc):

http://www.fabcafe.co.uk/index.php

Star and Garter - dingy indie bar / club, full of musicians and a DJ who will play Schizophrenia by Sonic Youth if you ask him to (unless it's Smiths night).

http://www.starandgarter.co.uk/star4/Home.aspx

The Temple - used to be a public toilet, now an underground bar with an amazing jukebox and a great range of spirits

http://www.manchestersfinest.com/drinking-in-manchester/pubs-in-manchester/the-temple/

The Molly House - mostly gay male pub, but the best selection of gins. Look at all those gins!!

http://www.themollyhouse.com/the-bar/

Basically, my preference is for dingy, good music and a good selection of spirits. Having seating is also important (both for me and for E etc etc etc). Problem with Deansgate Locks &c is that "dressing up" is kind of expected and I'm a scruff who just likes to get drunk and talk rubbish.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Fortunately for you lot, there is very little chance of me getting to this. I bloody well love Manchester too, innit? *sniff*

Son Of D

As I said in the community thread I won't be able to make it since not only will I be in Devon still, I'd also be getting ready for my move the following week. Just pretend that I'm there in spirit or something.

NinjaBoiX

I wanna go to a gay bar
Fair enough, added!
Sniff sniff. Yes they do and it's a jolly good time! 1st Friday of every month is Smiths night and it's full of Morrissey impersonators. Honestly, it's great fun getting drunk with a bunch of Morrisseys.

edit: @Mush gaaay bar gaaay bar gaaay bar. That's 2 for the queers!!!

edit edit: Ninj, E is also gonna be in attendance.

edit edit edit: Might I also suggest (a bit more helpfully):

Fab Café - top nerd bar, with lots of sci-fi memorabilia, a dalek you can sit and drink in and retro gaming tables (think space invaders etc):

http://www.fabcafe.co.uk/index.php

Star and Garter - dingy indie bar / club, full of musicians and a DJ who will play Schizophrenia by Sonic Youth if you ask him to (unless it's Smiths night).

http://www.starandgarter.co.uk/star4/Home.aspx

The Temple - used to be a public toilet, now an underground bar with an amazing jukebox and a great range of spirits

http://www.manchestersfinest.com/drinking-in-manchester/pubs-in-manchester/the-temple/

The Molly House - mostly gay male pub, but the best selection of gins. Look at all those gins!!

http://www.themollyhouse.com/the-bar/

Basically, my preference is for dingy, good music and a good selection of spirits. Having seating is also important (both for me and for E etc etc etc). Problem with Deansgate Locks &c is that "dressing up" is kind of expected and I'm a scruff who just likes to get drunk and talk rubbish.
Excellent! I'll add E to the attendees. I'll update with Fab Cafe and The Temple when I get the chance, running late for work now. I approve! Love those places.

Also, maybe Big Hands.

Also, Atlas has the best selection of gins in Manchester. Troof fact.
You selfish cunt, I told you I couldn't make this date. I hate your guts.
tumblr_lntc6tzjyl1qbgfne.gif

All other non attendees, that's a shame! Your reasoning seems sound.

Edit: yeah Steve, there are loads of places I've forgotten now I think about it. Corbiers! I'll update after work.

I thought you hated Morrissey tho :-/

Oh, I can't come btw. Sorry!

Hystzen

You coming bro? We were just asking in the thread earlier!

Also need to get Little Old Man and CHEEZMO out.

I don't finish work til about 6pm on Saturdays so might show face depends what going down nearer to date. I will put a reminder on my iPhone calendar for 30th as britgaf bros

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I thought you hated Morrissey tho :-/

Oh, I can't come btw. Sorry!

I'm really fickle. Stick me in a room of Morrisseys with 1.50 doubles and I'm the biggest Smiths fan ever.

I've been to many gigs at Star & Garter
Garter

Fuck everyone giving it shit

You and me, we're gonna get on just fine. I've had some brilliant nights in there and met some really interesting people. And it's near our flat, bonus!

The Font bar is pretty good in Manchester. I remember the cocktails being cheap.

Here at The Font we have over 60 £2 cocktails to choose from, over 100 craft beers, 16 draught beers and ciders, 4 cask ales and dj’s 6 nights a week! phew!

Might be a bit out the way though, I dunno.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh I guess I could finally witness the super cheapness of the north I keep hearing about.

CHEEZMO™;123161537 said:
Believe it or not I've actually started developing a social life the past weeks/months. I also have little chance to see my partner outside of weekends.

So depends.

Relationships? Pffft, what a loser. Look at this guy, with his "partner" and his "social life"

congrats

CHEEZMO™;123161537 said:
Believe it or not I've actually started developing a social life the past weeks/months. I also have little chance to see my partner outside of weekends.

So depends.

Well I'll be there.

Surely this seals the deal Cheezmo, everyone agrees I'm the coolest.

DanSaxon

Font's great and it's right in between Grand Central and Courtyard. I won't be able to attend as I have no monies. Have fun though guys.

Edit: Ignore that I thought it said 30th July, yeah I might be able to come or at least show my face.

Dash_

I'm interested in this. Whoever mentioned Star & Garter has my vote, it's not all Morrissey nights in there. The Font'd be cool too.

NinjaBoiX

I don't finish work til about 6pm on Saturdays so might show face depends what going down nearer to date. I will put a reminder on my iPhone calendar for 30th as britgaf bros

GAF are coming here to Manchester?
Interesting..

CHEEZMO™;123161261 said:
Maybe. Depends.

i might be able to go to this! i'll bring my beard along.

As I live in Warrington I am a stones throw away from this

Tempting..

I'm interested in this. Whoever mentioned Star & Garter has my vote, it's not all Morrissey nights in there. The Font'd be cool too.
I'll put you all down as attending. Don't let me down!

Edit: Also, OP updated. Driving right past The Temple on the bus as I type. :D

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I might hop on a train for this, but gotta work on Saturday night, and these are busy times...hmm

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
There's one pretty much next door to Grand Central, can't image it'd be a problem

By the way I'm not coming. Probably.

EDIT: Wow. Beaten twice in the same minute.

Oh actually you're in Brighton right? My band are playing Sticky Mike's in Brighton on the 7th of Sept if you fancy it? Would be nice to meet you finally.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh actually shit... I just remembered I have a wedding that weekend too! NOOOOOOO. Why's everyone getting married the same weekend? Shit is bull.

edit: at least I won't have eggybob bullying me all night, the cunt

Is it!? I was hammered the last time I was there, it could've been on the moon for all I knew.

Could be thinking of the other Font. There's one in Fallowfield as well.

You're coming to UoM?

Already there, it'll be my final year starting in September.

The only places on the list I've been to are Courtyard and FAB Cafe.

Other people at UoM huh? I would be interested to meet up with you guys if I wasn't going on my year abroad in September. Good luck in your final year though RiggyBob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom