• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bundles of Awesome - The Official WiiWare Discussion Thread

Vinci

Danish
Scrubking said:
I also wanted to mention that there is a new feature in the Nintendo channel that shows you graphs and stuff about what people think of each game. It's cool.

'bout time. I mean, that's awesome, but I wish it had come with that functionality from the beginning. Oh well, baby steps.

Scrubking

Super mario galaxy has been played over 5 million times at 25 hours per person.

Wow they also have usage data for every game.

Lostwinds has been played 48,689 times at 3.4 hours per person.

So if I'm doing the math right that means that Lostwinds sold ~17k?

I can't believe nobody cares about this.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Scrubking said:

wait, is that in the updated stats from the nintendo channel? if so then wow, color me impressed. i can't believe nintendo went on to disclose so much play data.

Scrubking

blu said:
wait, is that in the updated stats from the nintendo channel? if so then wow, color me impressed. i can't believe nintendo went on to disclose so much play data.

Yes it now shows hours played and times played by everyone and per person on top of the hardcore/casual recommendations.

MLAAK sold around 19k I think.

Ceres

Banned
Scrubking said:

The real question is what are the stats for Wii Sports.
And I've yet to pick up any wiiware stuff. Will next week once my new CC cycle starts.

swerve

It's important to note that that data is only for those who
a) are online
b) downloaded and agreed to share data on Nintendo Channel

So whilst the per-person averages are *really* useful and highly indicative of the general trend, the total times played and total hours played are hugely under what the actual number will be.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Remember, the Nintendo channel only counts data by people who have downloaded the Nintendo channel and opted in to sending data.

:lol swerve beat me.

Scrubking

Stumpokapow said:
Remember, the Nintendo channel only counts data by people who have downloaded the Nintendo channel and opted in to sending data.

:lol swerve beat me.

Yes, this is correct. You have to be online to get these games so that should be a given. Still it gives us an idea of how a game sold no? Not that I care, but I would have thought the sales agers would have been all over this by now.

Neo Samus

WiiWare is still very new. It's only been available for only a month now. If Lostwinds sold that mcuh for a downloadable *console* game I find those sales very good.

wazoo

50K (not 17k) is quite good for a downloadable game, on a casual console.

Do not be fooled, VC sales are extremely small, less than 1 game by user on some Nintendo sheet recently.

PSN/XBLA are not that high, the number of people ready to buy game online without packaging is extremely small for now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Scrubking said:
Yes, this is correct. You have to be online to get these games so that should be a given. Still it gives us an idea of how a game sold no? Not that I care, but I would have thought the sales agers would have been all over this by now.

It's an issue of data quality. With XBLA we basically accept the leaderboard hack because it's good enough to show us some info, even though it's not great. This data seems intuitively poor; either the data is a tiny fraction of the actual data, or WiiWare sales are QUITE poor.

The Wii Sports numbers suggest that 750,000 people have signed up for this service (21 million times played / 28 times played per person), which is about 7.5% of the Wii's US userbase. Since we can assume 100% of people have played Wii Sports for at least an hour, or close enough to 100% that Canada and Mexico sales are more than enough to make up the margin for those who don't, I think it's fair to say that this number accounts for somewhere around 7.5% of the total numbers.

In a sense, this number is probably going to be better at giving us numbers for retail games, since we can probably just sort of give everything a stock multiplier and say "well, it's a start". With WiiWare, the problem is figuring out whether or not the same people who are buying online games are the ones with the Nintendo channel. What's the overlap here? I don't have the Nintendo channel (lol fridge lol), but I have several WiiWare games.

Maybe we can devise a sort of "points" system that clocks in all the WiiWare games on a relative scale. If we ever get supplemental data for any one game, we could do a multiplier.

wazoo said:
50K (not 17k) is quite good for a downloadable game, on a casual console.
And what other casual consoles are you comparing this to? 50k is not good WW for game of Lost Wind's caliber.
wazoo said:
PSN/XBLA are not that high, the number of people ready to buy game online without packaging is extremely small for now.
Huh? Developers are aiming for 200k as a realistic goal on XBLA. Sure that might not be the case for remakes and flash style crap. Lost Winds is a premium product and with Wii's sales it should be on at least 6* figures.

wazoo

Visualante said:
And what other casual consoles are you comparing this to? 50k is not good WW for game of Lost Wind's caliber.

It is, because it is jsut a fraction of the total sales.

I AM NOT REGISTERED !!!!!

swerve said:
It's important to note that that data is only for those who
a) are online
b) downloaded and agreed to share data on Nintendo Channel

So whilst the per-person averages are *really* useful and highly indicative of the general trend, the total times played and total hours played are hugely under what the actual number will be.
True but the hours played/hours per player number should be much closer to actual sales for WW/VC games since obviously everyone buying them must be online.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
are you guys still harping on the Nintendo Channel numbers? C'mon... at 260 blocks or so, how many people do you really think a) have it installed b) have not deleted it. It is not a good representation of ANYTHING simply because of how much of a hassle and nuisance the software needed to collect the data is to keep installed on the Wii.

Don't get me wrong.. I enjoy the Nintendo channel quite a bit actually. But I have no doubt in my mind that I am in a small percentage of people who have left it installed, and now with SamSho coming in today it might even finally be going.

nincompoop said:
True but the hours played/hours per player number should be much closer to actual sales for WW/VC games since obviously everyone buying them must be online.
...but not necessarily have the Nintendo channel installed at 260 blocks or whatever. You guys seem to be forgetting how huge that channel is.

swerve

Some stats on JAPAN:

Wii Fit: Duration 20:37, 20.26 sessions
Wii Sports: Duration 30:00, over 28.44 sessions

Zelda 3: Duration 9:44, over 7.51 sessions (21,282 registered sales)
Zelda TP: Duration 50:10, over 21.36 sessions

No More Heroes: Duration 10:44, over 5.12 sessions

Resi 4 Wii: Duration 33:23, over 15.41 sessions
Umbrella Chronicles: Duration 14:54, over 8.61 sessions

Dr. Mario WiiWare: Duration 14:09, over 9.24 sessions (13,931 registered sales)
FF:CC My Life As A King: Duration 21:14, over 8.89 sessions (33,810 registered sales)
Star Soldier R: Not enough data/Data withheld

Everyone's Pokemon Farm: Duration 8:03, over 17.98, but... 44,779 registered sales

We should take a Neogaf poll to see what portion of WW/VC consumers share their time played data, so we can get a better estimate for VC/WW sales.

I'm bored so I think I'll look up sales information for a while.
DKC - ~55265
DKC2 ~ 25023
DKC3 ~ 11776
Contra 3 ~ 21103
LttP ~ 63386
Sim City ~ 15333
Castlevania 4 ~ 25626
SMW ~ 115725
Super Metroid ~ 51208

A lot of games don't have the information posted.

Vinci

Danish
borghe said:
...but not necessarily have the Nintendo channel installed at 260 blocks or whatever. You guys seem to be forgetting how huge that channel is.

Some firm sales numbers for Wii Ware titles would be pretty damn nice. I doubt Frontier was all excited and happy if that's all the sales Lost Winds has received. Has S-E made any comments regarding how MLAAK has done?

More numbers...

Gunstar Heroes ~ 31250
Shining in the Darkness ~ 8543
Sonic 1 ~ 43369
Sonic 2 ~ 23775
Sonic 3 ~ 19978
Toejam + Earl ~ 17289

This is all they had for Genesis

later said:
Are those numbers complete?.. (number of play sessions etc)
Those are just the numbers obtained by dividing total times played by times played per person. We just need some way to extrapolate them to account for online Wii owners that don't share their data.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Keep the VC numbers coming, guys. We can use the most recent VC overall sales numbers to construct a model for what percentage of VC owners are contributing numbers to Nintendo Channel, which would at least give us a ballpark for a WiiWare model (which I think is probably much more important than a VC model).

Also, are the Nintendo Channel numbers US or worldwide?

Stumpokapow said:
Keep the VC numbers coming, guys. We can use the most recent VC overall sales numbers to construct a model for what percentage of VC owners are contributing numbers to Nintendo Channel, which would at least give us a ballpark for a WiiWare model (which I think is probably much more important than a VC model).
Well the problem is they only have the numbers listed for a select few titles, mainly the first party ones.
Doing N64 now:

F-Zero X ~ 14495
Kirby 64 ~ 27466
OoT ~ 73923
MK64 ~ 112091
Paper Mario ~ 67157
Pokemon Snap ~ 38399
Sin & Punishment ~ 24846
Star Fox 64 ~ 61345
SM64 ~ 101305
Yoshi's Story ~ 25746

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
nincompoop said:
Well the problem is they only have the numbers listed for a select few titles, mainly the first party ones.

Shouldn't be a huge deal as long as the biggest / Top20 best selling games have the numbers there. A few of us can run crossreferences on the XBLA leaderboard hack, old NPD sheets, and Japanese numbers to determine what percentage the top <x> games account for of the whole deal and make a primitive model out of that--some people might say the number of contingencies to go from partial VC numbers to "full" WiiWare numbers is a bit of a jump, but I think as long as the process is consistent, objective, justified, and open it shouldn't be an issue.

dyls

Vinci said:
Some firm sales numbers for Wii Ware titles would be pretty damn nice. I doubt Frontier was all excited and happy if that's all the sales Lost Winds has received. Has S-E made any comments regarding how MLAAK has done?

If it sold 50K units at $10 each, that's $500,000. Depending on what sort of cut Nintendo takes, I think that should easily cover the development costs.

Vinci

Danish
AugustDivision said:
There was no data for the functionality to exist from the beginning.

My comment wasn't about the sales of the Wii Ware games; he had earlier mentioned the recommendations and how it impacted searches for Wii disc games. I felt that functionality should've been available immediately after Nintendo Channel launched.

NES

Galaga ~ 19584
Kid Icarus ~ 36222
Kirby's Adventure ~ 65075
Zelda 1 ~ 77290
Metroid ~ 29235
Punch Out ~ 58978
SMB2j ~ 42319
SMB ~ 157785
SMB2u ~ 59928
SMB3 ~ 146491
Tecmo Bowl ~ 18242
Wario Woods ~ 10004
Zelda 2 ~ 23503

And a few SNES games I missed

Breath of Fire 2 ~ 9538
Harvest Moon ~ 10982
Street Fighter 2 (World Warrior) ~ 21435

That covers everything for NES and SNES (along with my previous SNES post). I didn't check a few Genesis games but I doubt I missed any numbers. I also checked a handful of TG/NG games but they had nothing.

Hero of Canton said:
Any tips for the fishing one? The game doesn't seem to react to my upward remote jerks when the fish gets hold of my bait.

Yeah, I can't catch a single fish. I also can't stand how unbelievably slow the boat moves.

Also here's what they have for WiiWare

Defend Your Castle ~ 23862
Dr. Mario ~ 13098
FFCCMLAAK ~ 19349
Lost Winds ~ 17514

None of the other games have numbers listed

Hero of Canton said:
Any tips for the fishing one? The game doesn't seem to react to my upward remote jerks when the fish gets hold of my bait.

You just need more practice. I don't have a problem with it but then again I've been jerking for years.

As mentioned in the other thread, anyone that hasn't bought fishing master might want to wait. Its a port of a ps2/gamecube game with added on waggle, and from the sounds of those who do have it, waggle was poorly implemented.

If these sales figures are indeed separated by region, could someone with a JPN Wii please add the JPN figures to the US numbers. The EU numbers should also be up in about a week or so, going by the difference in the release date for the Nintendo Channel, so we can get closer to the real WW figures then!

botticus

swerve said:
Some stats on JAPAN:
Dr. Mario WiiWare: Duration 14:09, over 9.24 sessions (13,931 registered sales)
FF:CC My Life As A King: Duration 21:14, over 8.89 sessions (33,810 registered sales)
Star Soldier R: Not enough data/Data withheld

Everyone's Pokemon Farm: Duration 8:03, over 17.98, but... 44,779 registered sales
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we have some loose sales figures for some of the Japanese WiiWare launch titles? Or were those never confirmed? Seems like that would give a decent baseline for extrapolation.

Edit: Here they are. No confirmation, however.

king zell said:
ruliweb had posted some WiiWare Numbers but i dont know the source :

mojipittan Wii 72,971
FFCC 129,904
Dr.MARIO 43,354
Pokemon ranch 234,745

http://ruliweb.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?table=game_nin02&num=16083&main=nin

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286949

Luigison

Neo Samus said:
There is a Dr. Mario update?? Did the game tell you or did you see it from the Shop Channel??
I saw it in the channel while checking to see what games were most popular. It had a tab at the top left like the new games have, but this one said updated or something to that effect. It of course also said downloadable at the bottom right.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nuclear Muffin said:
If these sales figures are indeed seperated by region, could someone with a JPN Wii please add the JPN figures to the US numbers. The EU numbers should also be up in about a week or so going by the difference in the release date for the Nintendo Channel so we can get closet to the real WW figures then!

Basically, what I see happening is a rough table that looks like this:

US Stated figures, US Multiplier, EU Stated figures, EU Multiplier, JPN Stated figures, JPN Multiplier, Stated minimum, Hypothetical sales.

Initially we leave all the multipliers and hypothetical sales blank, but a few of us get on crunching the numbers to get multipliers. It's important that any table that has projections also give source information for where the projections come from.

Gagaman

I wish they would get their arses into here with Wiiware here in Europe. We've had just one game since the launch, that's seven in total next to America's current list of about 14. We still don't have Pop, Defend Your Castle, Table Tennis etc etc..

But hey, we have Actionloop Twist! ...

=(

Stumpokapow said:
Basically, what I see happening is a rough table that looks like this:

US Stated figures, US Multiplier, EU Stated figures, EU Multiplier, JPN Stated figures, JPN Multiplier, Stated minimum, Hypothetical sales.

Initially we leave all the multipliers and hypothetical sales blank, but a few of us get on crunching the numbers to get multipliers. It's important that any table that has projections also give source information for where the projections come from.

Sounds good to me, as long as we keep track of the actual stated sales from the Nintendo Channel as a minimum number possible.

Would be nice if we could compare them to previous re-releases too, I'd love to see how the Super Mario Bros games compare to the GBA versions!

Top Bottom