• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bundles of Awesome - The Official WiiWare Discussion Thread

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Luigison said:
What are you using to do this? Excel? We could share data with a Google doc spreadsheet.

Right now it's just a plain HTML table. Everything associated with the presentation/look will be fixed up. It'll be a sortable table by any field, and the default sort will either be alphabetical or greatest-least sales. I also might make toggleable categories as the data expands.

Like I said, tomorrow I'll rig it up to have a database backend and web editable and share the credentials with a few sales agers, along with the password to the email account, so that this can be a cooperative project.

I briefly thought about doing the Google Docs Spreadsheet thing, but I think it's better if it was running outside of GD just in case there's ever any raw data contributed that's used to tune the multipliers that we might want to keep but not make visible for obvious reasons.

Edit:
Everything is now rigged up to a database and generated dynamically (yay!). Just need to finish the web editing features before I can allow others to contribute. Still have to fix up the look as well, obviously.

These sale numbers account for around 11% of known VC/WiiWare sales using the March 31, 2008 VC/WiiWare sales figure. Of course, given the massive number of missing titles, it's obviously not fair to just multiply everything by nine and pretend that's the actual number.

Well, it looks like I just downloaded my final VC/WiiWare game today. I have 72 blocks left. *sigh*

I'm not interested in restocking the WiiFridgerator because on average it takes my Wii 30-45 minutes to download one game with my connection so when if I deleted a game I don't play much anymore it would almost be work just to get it back. The next VC/Wiiware game that I buy will have to be REALLY awesome if I'm going to buy it. I hate deleting shit that's mine.

I consider myself a casual gamer, and even I am having problems with this minimal Wii storage.

Jetku

blockbreaker = yay

it's a bit expensive for a cell phone game, but the controls and powerups are great. Also, you can use the cursor to grab the powerups instead of letting them fall into your paddle.

and you can buy upgrades for the powerups as well.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
perfectchaos007 said:
I'm not interested in restocking the WiiFridgerator because on average it takes my Wii 30-45 minutes to download one game with my connection

... what sort of connection do you have?

Jiggy

perfectchaos007 said:
Well, it looks like I just downloaded my final VC/WiiWare game today. I have 72 blocks left. *sigh*

I'm not interested in restocking the WiiFridgerator because on average it takes my Wii 30-45 minutes to download one game with my connection so when if I deleted a game I don't play much anymore it would almost be work just to get it back.
Well, you could buy an SD card. And, honestly, you may end up having to delete something anyway since you're treading into the sort of territory where game saves are going to run you dry soon enough. :/

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
btw, on the topic of sales estimates via the nintendo channel:

there's no way in hell MLAAK has sold ~3090* units in NA.

* the number obtained from dividing the total hours/playcount by average per-person hours/playcount.

Weisheit

Hadn't seen this posted:
Cubed³'s Adam Riley: With Wii Fit taking Japan by storm at the moment and more Balance Boards now in Japanese homes than PlayStation 3 consoles, have you given any thought to creative ways your team could make use of the Wii peripheral in the future?

Vitei's Giles Goddard: Our current game uses the Balance Board actually, and it’s due out in September on WiiWare. So yes, much like Theta we came up with several prototypes of games and picked one that we thought was the most uniquely suited to the interface. The interesting thing is that the games you would think would work well with the Balance Board actually don't. So it should be interesting to see what kind of stuff gets made for it.
Should be interesting, right?

Scrubking

So nobody picked up Block Breaker? I've just unlocked everything and I'm having a lot of fun. A lot. More than I expected. Great game.

Gagaman

Frpm the videos Block Breaker almost looks like it plays itself as the game spams you with weapons that let you clear the screen in seconds. I presume it gets more challenging later on? Also, about how many levels are there?

Scrubking

Gagaman said:
Frpm the videos Block Breaker almost looks like it plays itself as the game spams you with weapons that let you clear the screen in seconds. I presume it gets more challenging later on? Also, about how many levels are there?

The game is on the easy side, but not all of the levels are like that. There are over 50 regular levels plus a
random level generator you can unlock and a cpu vs mode

i had this blockbreaker game on my mobile years ago and I have to say it was awesome! I am seriously thinking about picking this up but I have one question. Is the 2 player shown in the trailer co-op or pvp? I love having games to play with my GF, but anything that has us pitted against each other instead of co-op ends up ugly. I'm just way better at vg's than she is and I end up being "that guy" that kicks everyone's ass mercilessly. I hate being that guy.

can we work together to clear screens? If so, I'm in for BlockBreaker.

The problem with Cocoto Fishing Master is not that the motion controls are poorly implemented but that the instructions are not clear enough. The game only tells you to quickly tilt the remote vertically when a fish bites, but it fails to mention that you then have to keep remote in that position without moving it for the next few seconds until the scene changes. Also, you don't actually have to tilt it quickly. After I learned this (thanks to Gamefaqs), I haven't had any trouble catching a fish.

Might also be good to know that when reeling in the fish, you want to wait until the fish stops flipping out otherwise you'll break your fishing line.

Neo Samus

Jazzem said:
I just downloaded an update (EU) for Dr Mario, although I'm not sure what effect it has had.

The update is here in NA as well. I actually called Nintendo and asked one of the Reps if there was any info on the update for Dr. Mario, but he couldn't find anything on it. He said that sometimes if it's a very minor update they won't post the info about the update. He did tell me that it might be an update to the online code, but that is just his guess.

Jiggy

Gyrostarr on Monday. :D

http://vcdbnews.blogspot.com/2008/06/gyrostarr-finally-hits-wiiware-monday.html
go nintendo.com/?p=47029

Edit: Obligatory trailer link.
Edit 2: Hmm, the GT ones aren't working for me for some reason. Here, have YouTube instead.

Hoffman Estates, IL – June 20, 2008 - High Voltage Software, Inc., one of the world’s largest independent developers, today announced Gyrostarr™, an exciting new sci-fi shooter scheduled for release via the WiiWare™ downloadable service on Monday June 23, 2008.

Gyrostarr features fast action gameplay across 50 intense levels as up to four players pilot ships on a futuristic track, shooting enemies, dodging obstacles, and collecting upgrades. The game takes advantage of the company’s proprietary Quantum 3 Game Engine technology, which provides advanced graphical capabilities. Gyrostarr’s controls were built from the ground up to utilize the motion-sensing capabilities of the Wii™.

“Our original vision for Gyrostarr was to capture the fast-paced twitch style action of coin-op classics, but to infuse superior graphics and game design for the next generation,” said Kerry Ganofsky, CEO and Founder of High Voltage Software. “I’m thrilled to say that the team has nailed the mark and exceeded our expectations.”

“Aside from the visuals, which are gorgeous, there is a lot about Gyrostarr that players will love,” said Eric Nofsinger, Chief Creative Officer of High Voltage Software. “As players develop their skills at the game, they will devise strategies to help them make it through all of the levels. Jumping into the game with four players just makes the experience that much better.”

Format: WiiWare™
Launch Date: June 23, 2008
ESRB: E (Everyone)
Game Type: Sci-Fi Shooter
Players: 1-4
Developer: High Voltage Software, Inc.

Key Information

Gyrostarr challenges you and up to three other players to fly through a twisting, turning techno-plasma canal in space, collecting energy to penetrate an alien portal and warp to the next conduit. Without that energy, your space vessels will smash head-first into the unforgiving anti-void. Making your task more challenging, each conduit is patrolled by a variety of vicious enemy spacecraft that want to destroy your ships and feast on your collected energy. You must avoid their attacks and harvest their energy by destroying them first! 50 levels of intense action, powerful pickups, bonus levels, 1-4 player mayhem and a unique & flexible control system make Gyrostarr a killer hardcore arcade title!

* All Tied Up - Up to four-player same-screen arcade action, using any combination of Wii Remotes™ or Nunchuks™, using motion control or non-motion control – user choice.
* High Treason – Multiplayer mode is competitive and cooperative.
* The Elf Shot the Food – Irritate other players by “juggling” powerups so they can’t be claimed.
* The Spy who Snagged It – Grab pickups from far ahead, or snare them before another player can – with the Grapple Shot.
* Super-sized – 50 levels of procedurally generated space-track tucked into less than 40 MB.
* Lay Waste – Destructive smart bombs, impenetrable shields, and electrifying weapon powerups keep the explosions coming.
* All Your Base – Variety in tactics, defenses, and special abilities makes our multiple enemy types a strategic challenge.
* Stat Heads – Score Multipliers accumulate when players deftly avoid enemy fire, and bonuses for accomplishing intra-level achievements.

How to progress through the game: Gyrostarr is a high-action twitch shooter with a science fiction setting. Players must destroy enemy ships and collect dropped energy to increase their reserves enough to power the warp gate. Only if enough energy is collected will the warp gate activate, and players can proceed to the next level. If players earn enough extra energy, they can also advance to a bonus level where they can collect even more energy, giving them a chance to build up some excess before the start of the next level.

Special Powerups: Players can collect powerups dropped by enemies to increase their firepower or defenses. Firepower bonuses include triple-shot, tesla-shot, lightning-shot, and charged-shot. Defensive bonuses include an indestructible shield, and a slow-enemies power.

Grapple Gun: This handy gadget allows the player to grab & retrieve pickups from the track ahead of them, giving them weapons more quickly, or allowing them to snare one, while moving to the side to grab a second.

Multiplayer Features: When playing together, players need to cooperate if they want to successfully complete the level, but that doesn’t mean they can’t try to doublecross each other to get choice weapons, increase their score, or just irritate!

The ship positions are staggered down the track, but when one player collects a pickup, his ship moves to the back of the pack, ensuring that everyone has a chance to be in the lead and grab the next one.

Coordinated players can gain the use of a powerful weapon; the Charged Shot. If two ships are lined up on the track, the basic shot type of each becomes “charged.”

Catering to antagonistic players, all the pickups can be targeted, causing them to bounce to the side, and down the track, allowing players in the back of the pack a chance to make life miserable for those in the front. Or they can simply try to grapple the best pickups before the lead player has a chance…

Proven

Oh god, finally. I was about to break down and buy Dr. Mario this next Monday if there was still no news. I can finally rest now.

Dascu

I hope it's good. The trailer looked interesting, though slightly repetitive. It's a darn shame they couldn't put in online.

batbeg said:
Lucky bastards! Hope it hits PAL land in a couple weeks time :( Will probably be my first WiiWare game.
LostWinds motherfucker.

Rlan

batbeg said:
Lucky bastards! Hope it hits PAL land in a couple weeks time :( Will probably be my first WiiWare game.

Unfortunately Gyrostarr has not shown up on USK, PEGI or OFLC. So it may not be a while.

Jazzem

NeoSamus said:
The update is here in NA as well. I actually called Nintendo and asked one of the Reps if there was any info on the update for Dr. Mario, but he couldn't find anything on it. He said that sometimes if it's a very minor update they won't post the info about the update. He did tell me that it might be an update to the online code, but that is just his guess.

Mmm that is weird, even if it is minor I'd personally like to know what changes have been made, I thought it was common practice to make it known what changes have been made in programs, but that's probably more a computer thing than console.

nincompoop said:
Would it have killed them to give Gyrostarr online play?

I'm actually a bit disappointed at the lack of WiFi play games on WiiWare. Dr Mario is the only available one right now and the only upcoming one I can think of is the World of Goo.

Still I'm quite excited for Gyrostarr, hopefully it gets good reviews and us Europeans get it soon :)

Jazzem said:
I'm actually a bit disappointed at the lack of WiFi play games on WiiWare. Dr Mario is the only available one right now and the only upcoming one I can think of is the World of Goo.

Still I'm quite excited for Gyrostarr, hopefully it gets good reviews and us Europeans get it soon :)
Tetris, Bomberman.

batbeg said:

I imagine the first WiiWare High Voltage game we get will be Blackjack.

I then wouldnt expect anything from them for a good month afterwards. And then, considering the fortnightly releases, you can probably double that again.

later

I don't get why each region has another release methodology entirely.. Don't they already have the data to see which method is generating the most revenue?

Either do a dual VC + wiiware release each week,
or a VC only week and then a wiiware only week.

Decide already!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
nincompoop said:
Would it have killed them to give Gyrostarr online play?
This is what keeps me from buying it. Is there really a point in buying it if you don't have someone to play with? It's a rare thing when I play games with my friends.

Proven

Fantastical said:
This is what keeps me from buying it. Is there really a point in buying it if you don't have someone to play with? It's a rare thing when I play games with my friends.

The game seemed interesting enough by itself. I'm only getting it because of the multiplayer, but I saw that as put in as a bonus, and the fact that it was cooperative being the bit that tipped me over into wanting it.

Just tried the first 3 levels of Gyrostarr. Can't say I'm too impressed so far.

The presentation is ok, you can't even surf the menus with the CC for some reasons (and it's analog only in game). You're forced to navigate with the Wiimote even with the CC plugged in.

Graphics are 30 fps (was expecting 60 for a title like this), the details are minimal and the music is generic techno.

I'll give it some more time later on to see how the gameplay evolves throughout the levels.

Somnia said:
So I finally bought LostWinds....my god this game is awesome. Why did I wait so long?!?!

I have no idea, but enjoy...the game really shows what the wii is all about. It has outstanding pacing as well imo, i enjoyed it so much that i didnt even realize how long i played it(it is a tad short, but thats because its so good). Everything is spaced out so well, it reminded me alot of re4 as far as pacing and keeping interest high goes(although that game deserves infinitely more credit since it was a lot longer).

Awesome game, better than most retail releases.

Proven

The Main Event said:
Just tried the first 3 levels of Gyrostarr. Can't say I'm too impressed so far.

The presentation is ok, you can't even surf the menus with the CC for some reasons (and it's analog only in game). You're forced to navigate with the Wiimote even with the CC plugged in.

Graphics are 30 fps (was expecting 60 for a title like this), the details are minimal and the music is generic techno.

I'll give it some more time later on to see how the gameplay evolves throughout the levels.

Just got up and around, but thanks for the initial impressions. I've been saving points for way too long to not get this now.

Super-sized – 50 levels of procedurally generated space-track tucked into less than 40 MB.

Few things...

1. If the levels are procedurally generated shouldn't there be infinite levels? I've always associated procedural generation with 'randomly drawn levels.' Are they saying they've designed 50 levels but chose to procedurally draw them rather than using pre-built models to save hard drive space? Or are they saying the levels are mathematically designed, and we've capped it at 50 levels to play?

2. What a weird thing to put in a press release. Seems like one of those overly technical details that need not be mentioned.

Looks like a pretty cool game though.

Top Bottom