• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buy $50 Driveclub PS+ upgrade, lose access if your PS+ sub lapses

Metallix87

lol Way to jump the gun. Sony has always made a point to let consumers know that games bought with your own money on PS+ remains yours. What sense does this make to make you pay to keep the game when you already paid for it with the $50? Use some common sense man.
Common sense: It's in the video, it's in the blog, it's official. Stop living in denial.

jeanRicK

Wow ... I can't believe they didn't see this outrage coming. They're selling the "upgrade" as DLC. Which is why it expires with the sub. But it really should just be a $10 ps+ discount on the "full" digital release.

Really simple fix Sony.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This doesn't incent me to purchase a full version. This incents me to tell Sony to shove this game up their ass. I hope they reconsider.
Hmm, really?

I'd be more likely to use the PS+ version as a demo and, if I like it, actually purchase a hard copy.

Atone13

I've been a big fan of ps+ since it was introduced, and still believe it offers great value for the price of admission....but this is not rubbing me the right way. I'm fine with ps+ version of driveclub, sounds very reasonable....but this $50 upgrade that you can still lose access to. Makes more sense to offer it as a full game purchase with a discount for being a plus member...but it means undercutting retailers which is a big sticking point still.

I don't know why anyone ps+ member or not wouldnt just buy the full game and never worry about losing access to it.... that said however I don't really know all that much about this game. Does it have a single player experience? or is it a always online type of thing where even if you own the game, you'll need plus to play it?

hesido

This makes no sense at all. I bet they clarify in a few days. If not, no one would be stupid enough to buy it this way.

One can easily think of it as a Ps+ discount. Even I could have been a victim right there. I'm paying 50 dollaz and not a chance I'd think I'd lose it after my sub ends.

hawk2025

Didn't no one in the meeting room that decided this stop, think, look at this and say:

"This is really fucking stupid."

No one?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
sounds just as bad as the always on bullshit ms had in place

Footos22

Why does it even matter. The game is a socially connected experience. The whole point of the game revolves around the online interactions, being In clubs, beating friends scores. You're not going to be able to do any of that without ps+.

The disc will be cheaper online anyway.

I imagine their idea was to prevent a wave of people subbing to plus, grabbing Driveclub and the upgrade at a low price, and canceling their sub. That's why the upgrade is practically full price, and why it still requires a sub.

That being said it's really, really stupid. I think Sony would have been better off not announcing Driveclub as a PS+ title so early. It's caused absolutely nothing but headaches both for them and potential consumers.

I imagine their idea was to bloat the NPD chart and say Driveclub was the #1 selling game for that month. You're right though, but it's a very stupid idea since they make money off PS+ subscription as well.

mattp

Wow ... I can't believe they didn't see this outrage coming. They're selling the "upgrade" as DLC. Which is why it expires with the sub. But it really should just be a $10 ps+ discount on the "full" digital release.

Really simple fix Sony.

yep

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
The fact they need to make a video to explain it and it still isn't clear says it all.

Wasn't so long ago they made a video explaining how simple it was to share games on PS4, how do you go from that to this.

Skyzard

Banned
They are referring to the PS+ Edition that you lose access to with no PS+.

:/

If you pay $50 you get the Full Edition.

They need to clarify.

hawk2025

I imagine their idea was to bloat the NPD chart and say Driveclub was the #1 selling game for that month. You're right though, but it's a very stupid idea since they make money off PS+ subscription as well.

The game comes out in October. It has no chance to do that either way.

The fact they need to make a video to explain it and it still isn't clear says it all.

Wasn't so long ago they made a video explaining how simple it was to share games on PS4, how do you go from that to this.

Excellent point.

jwk94

That's not what his post says at all. It says you'll lose access to the PS+ edition which is the "free" version PlayStation Plus members get.

Danlord

Well thankfully Rushy has been active on GAF about Driveclub so hopefully he'll come in to clarify the situation,I'm sure he's a bit busy at the moment I saw he was with IGN for the Q/A they're doing on Friday but hopefully he can pop by this thread

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm gonna hold off on grabbing my pitchfork just yet. Sounds to me like their might be some confusion with the question.

I think the PS+ Edition is dumb to begin with precisely because it brings up this kind of issue.

I will try the PS+ Edition, demo that it is, and if I like I will buy the retail game when I feel like it, not upgrade to "retail" through a portal that has the potential to lock me out of the content should my subscription lapse. That's silly.

This seems so crazy to me, what are Sony thinking by linking the upgraded Plus edition to the Plus sub.

Even though the video is pretty clear, I still can't help but think this might be a case where the information isn't being presented properly.

Here's the part in question.

http://a.pomf.se/znncms.webm

It seems pretty clear cut, but the VO could be referring to the base Plus edition and not the upgraded version....

The problem is that the Upgrade seems to be a Big DLC for the PS+ Edition, so the content is tied to the PS+ Edition...

The should just give a 10$ discount for PS+ Members on the full game and be done with it....

imperium

Yikes, I had assumed the ps+ requirement was just a misprint but it's looking like its legit. Strange move by Sony and likely to create enough uproar that Sony may end up changing their mind. Also creating a negative backlash against a new IP and a studio that's in need of a hit.

Really simple fix Sony.

Why that wasn't done to begin with is beyond me. They would've avoided any confusion or anger outright if they'd taken that approach.

My guess is that they don't want to be as generous about that now that you have to have PS+ anyway.

kiguel182

So, pretty much, for a 10 dollar discount you get the game forever tied to your ps+ sub?

Doesn't seem like a good deal, even if most people will probably have a sub until the end of the gen. Still, no reason to risk it.

Pikma

Banned
Thanks for the new thread.

This needs massive clarification but as of now, its as official as it can be. It's disgusting to expect people to pay $50 and lose that game.

Its disgusting because a lot of people are going to get the PS+ edition, see the "$50 upgrade" and think its a great deal. A lot of people don't read the fine prints and this is poor display of ethics by Evolution. A lot of people will get suckered in to this shit.
No way this is Evolution's fault, I highly doubt they have any saying in this matter, pricing schemes are completely up to the Pub, Sony.

Only read the text, can't watch the video right now. If so that really sucks.
Transcript from the part of the video that talks about the PS+ version and upgrade:

We give you the power to purchase and play games on your own terms, with true freedom of choice:

Here's how:

THE NATURAL SELECTOR

You like to pick and choose what you want, upgrade and add on as you play. As an active Playstation Plus member you can enjoy DriveClub Playstation Plus edition, which comes with all game modes and a great selection of cars, tracks and locations for free.

If you want to upgrade in one single purchase than you can do that. Then you'll have access to all of the cars, tracks and locations and take all the points and trophies you've earned for your club with you.

You're the master of your own destiny.

As long as you're a Playstation Plus membership is active, you have the power.
After this part they talk about the retail version and full priced digital download having everything available.

Buzzman

Banned
I imagine their idea was to prevent a wave of people subbing to plus, grabbing Driveclub and the upgrade at a low price, and canceling their sub. That's why the upgrade is practically full price, and why it still requires a sub.
Would they really care that much about people getting a game for $5 cheaper? Instead you'll have people waiting untill it gets cheaper at retail and then Sony sees an even smaller slice.

iammeiam

They need to clarify.

They explicitly say that purchasing the upgrade gives you access as long as you're subbed. They need to backpedal, not clarify their extremely unambiguous statement.

Well that's BS. If I do end up liking the game then I'll buy the physical release. (which I could probably find used for cheaper by then).

Matush

This is BS, they should just discount the price for PS+ members with full digital version. Also, my local store has DC for 50€.

What a poor way to do things (30fps, required sub for discount even after purchase) all around. Those car licenses must be crazy expensive on top of the extended development cycle.

Footos22

They should just get rid of the upgrade part to get rid of the confusion. What's the point in the upgrade when the full digital game is available anyway. Don't see how offering an upgrade for 10 dollars less is an incentive. They should just offer ps+ members 10 dollars off the full game and treat it like a normal discount.

Teddified

It's not really an "upgrade" presented this way it just seems like buying a DLC for a free version.

I can see where it's going if it's going to be about buying single stuff from the game to use on the free version. But once you call it an "upgrade" or discount for $50 for all the content from the main game that implies you get the Digital version, not the free version with DLC from the full game, which this seems to be.

Not cool but the chances of someone lapsing on a PS+ is probably astronomically low.

On paper this is a horrible, terrible PR mess - in reality, it's a non-issue.

jwk94

The problem is that the Upgrade seems to be a Big DLC for the PS+ Edition, so the content is tied to the PS+ Edition...

The should just give a 10$ discount for PS+ Members on the full game and be done with it....

No it's not. The video clearly draws a line between the PlayStation Plus Edition and the upgrade. When he says "as long as your PlayStation plus subscriptioni is active" the logo for the PS+ Edition even pops up.

They need to clarify.

They've clarified: upgrade the PS+ edition to the full version for $50/£43/50 Euro and it dies if you drop your PS+ sub. It's clear as day, and also incredibly shitty.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck? This is just wrong, no way I'm getting this if it's this way. Fuck this shit.

who in his right mind is going to pay 50 freaking dollars on top of a subscription service for a game is going to expire????? Who?!?!?!?!?!?! da heck SONY????

It's pretty clear and completely unreasonable. Seriously, how could they possibly think this is a good idea

I wouldn't even mind the sub requirement if the discount was actually significant like say 30 bucks, but at 50? Yea, I'll go withe the disc version.

Not cool but the chances of someone lapsing on a PS+ is probably astronomically low.

On paper this is a horrible, terrible PR mess - in reality, it's a non-issue.

its a non-issue? buying a game, but not allowed to play if you unsubscribe?
I think I'd rather have 24 hour check-in than this. I hope this is just an isolated case.

Top Bottom