• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buy $50 Driveclub PS+ upgrade, lose access if your PS+ sub lapses

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So you lose access to the PS+ stuff (10 cars 11 tracks?) but still retain the other stuff?

This shit needs clarification.

hesido

This is fucking insane.

Creates more confusion than it should. Makes it harder for people to guess what is keepable after sub expiration and what is not. Is that game you bought with the Ps Plus discount playable after your sub expires?

Just make it a permanent PS plus discount of the full game, not UPGRADE to full version, and make it permanently be playable just like other games you buy with a ps plus discount.

This is shameful.

This doesn't incent me to purchase a full version. This incents me to tell Sony to shove this game up their ass. I hope they reconsider.

Agreed.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Why don't you just tweet YSOP?
Hehe. This is more of a job for Rushy. If this were true, the PS+ is basically the games menus and engine, and the DLC would just be more cars and maps. I think they have about an hour to fix/correct this before all hell breaks loose.

Tsundere

Banned
Uhhhh... Upgrading the PS+ version to the Full version makes it the Full Version, it is no longer the "PS+ Edition". So regardless your subscription end, you will have the game.

Only the PS+ Version is unplayable if your PS+ Subscription expires.

I watched the video, and I don't see how it proves anything other than bad choice of wording in that specific segment.

Abriael

Banned
I don't think he's saying that?

Once you do the upgrade, you get the full edition.

The PS+ edition is the free one. You lose access to THAT if your PS+ subscription lapses.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Watch the video. They explain what they're doing very clearly. It seems they're trying to treat the "upgrade" as DLC, not a full purchase.

That's probably how the game is currently set up in Sony's database: the PS+ Edition is the base app and the missing content is restored via a DLC app. That said, though, this is something that could very easily be changed.

hohoXD123

It's like they're literally telling people "Don't upgrade!!". Who is making these decisions? In the UK at least the retail game will almost certainly be cheaper, you can trade/sell it on and it won't go away once your PS+ subscription runs out, there have to at least be some reasons to get people to go the digital upgrade route aside from convenience (though with the PS+ clause even that isn't much of an argument). This isn't how digital upgrades are meant to work. Really hope if TLOU offers an upgrade program it's nothing like this.

Cess007

Watch the video. They explain what they're doing very clearly. It seems they're trying to treat the "upgrade" as DLC, not a full purchase.

Afaik, if you buy DLC discounted on Plus, you keep the DLC even if you let your Plus lapses. So i can't think any reason it would get think this gets a different treatment if they want to think of it as DLC instead of Full purchase. So, it's BS.

Hehe. This is more of a job for Rushy. If this were true, the PS+ is basically the games menus and engine, and the DLC would just be more cars and maps. I think they have about 15 minutes to fix/correct this before all hell breaks loose.

FTFY, after seeing what happened to the last thread :(

The PS+ edition is the free one. You lose access to THAT if your PS+ subscription lapses.
I don't know, man...

This will give you access to all five locations, 55 tracks, 50 cars and all 50 tour events, as long as your PlayStation Plus subscription remains active.

wapplew

My guess is, you can keep playing the "upgraded" content if you lose sub, you just lose the PS+ portion of content.

Maybe just communication problem.

EdgeXL

Come on now. If you put 50 dollars towards the upgrade, the whole product should be available to play, whether your PS+ subscription is active or not. I was singing this game's praises because of the absence of microtransactions, but this is just as shifty.

I imagine their idea was to prevent a wave of people subbing to plus, grabbing Driveclub and the upgrade at a low price, and canceling their sub. That's why the upgrade is practically full price, and why it still requires a sub. The cost of getting the game in this fashion is more than it would cost to just buy the full thing.

That being said it's really, really stupid. I think Sony would have been better off not announcing Driveclub as a PS+ title so early. It's caused absolutely nothing but headaches both for them and potential consumers.

VanWinkle

So he's saying that, once you buy the upgrade, you now have the PS+ Edition and the full game, and you can't play your PS+ Edition if you unsubscribe to Plus...but once you resubscribe you can get back to playing the PS+ Edition right away? Why on earth would he mention that you'll be able to continue playing the Plus Edition if you resubscribe if you already have the full edition?

Wynnebeck

Banned
As I said in the other thread, games as a service is here at last. Sony will say anything and do anything to keep you tethered to Plus. I suspect all Plus discounts follow.

lol Way to jump the gun. Sony has always made a point to let consumers know that games bought with your own money on PS+ remains yours. What sense does this make to make you pay to keep the game when you already paid for it with the $50? Use some common sense man.

hohoXD123

This will give you access to all five locations, 55 tracks, 50 cars and all 50 tour events, as long as your PlayStation Plus subscription remains active.
You get access to the full content as long as your PS+ subscription remains active. It's pretty damn clear.

This seems so crazy to me, what are Sony thinking by linking the upgraded Plus edition to the Plus sub.

Even though the video is pretty clear, I still can't help but think this might be a case where the information isn't being presented properly.

Here's the part in question.

http://a.pomf.se/znncms.webm

It seems pretty clear cut, but the VO could be referring to the base Plus edition and not the upgraded version....

SFenton

My guess is, you can keep playing the "upgraded" content if you lose sub, you just lose the PS+ portion of content.

Maybe just communication problem.

My interpretation is that the PS+ game is like a demo- has the engine, menus, etc., and the upgrade is DLC. So you could still use the DLC if your sub expired (yay!) but the game would become useless (and hence the DLC, so boo!).

Top Bottom