• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buy $50 Driveclub PS+ upgrade, lose access if your PS+ sub lapses

You're splitting hairs there. Really fine ones. $50 of content is practically full price.

No $60 is full price as that's the price, $50 is the price of the full game tied to a PS+ sub.

There are two options people can take, no one is making them take the cheaper one with limitations.

Moze

Banned
This has to be stopped now before it gets out of hand. You can never exaggerate a problem like this.

Really disgusting.

Marc

Hmm, shocked at this, I guess the development costs of the game went way overboard and this is the result. In doing this though they kind of shoot themselves in the foot.

People like me who aren't into racing games but were excited to give it a shot from PS+ and probably pay for the upgrade will now not bother. I will just play the plus version and that'll be that, loss of a potential sale.

This also shows why digital only is a farce and should never be accepted practice, as long as digital content means you don't actually own it, it is worthless and prices should meet that lack of worth. Any free market would and should show digital content nothing but contempt. I hope a few dudebro's fall for this scam though and find out the hard way, will make it into mainstream media and highlight this scummy process. Should hopefully kill digital content value or force laws into being written up specifically to protect the consumer as it should.

I imagine we'll be hearing something shortly.

I think you mean Soon? ;)

breakfuss

No $60 is full price as that's the price, $50 is the price of the full game tied to a PS+ sub.

There are two options people can take, no one is making them take the cheaper one with limitations.

This is exactly how I see it, too. It might not be as economical (to some) to go with the former, but no one is forcing you take that route. I'm not seeing it, GAF. I understand why people are dismayed at the questionable "free w/ PS+" marketing, but I don't see at it as some implicitly shitty move on Sony's part. Just buy the retail version.

They are not doing that,not sure where you getting this from.
I'm realising my words are failing me and that I should probably just go to sleep, but I'll try once more to explain what I'm saying.

With either PS+ edition, I'm not incorrect in assuming that there is single player content included? Running with that, if your subscription runs out and you have paid for the upgrade then you lose access to not only the free version (which I can deal with and think that's perfectly fine), but your paid upgrade as well... which would mean you're not even able to access the single player if your sub runs out. I realize the disc version will work as normal, but my concern lies with the PS+ Editions.

I hope this explains my thinking, if not then disregard my ramblings as that of a tired mad man.

Cornbread78

There's been no miscommunication and there's nothing to clarify: Chris Brown's blog post comment states that you'll lose access to the game if your sub lapses; Evolution's token GAF member edited his posts months later to remove the mention of a PS+ subscription not being required; and there's even a video wherein it's categorically explained that continued access to all content is contingent upon an active subscription. The situation as succinctly described in the thread title is very real and very deliberate, but the question now is "Will it change for the better?"

True, they can make it right simply by being more transparent with their intentions here. As I see it, just buy the physical copy and there is no issue at all if you want the full game. The $10 savings the other way just isn't worth it and we can all see that.

This is FUD.

Sony has been using the terminology "Driveclub" (retail and digital, identical) and "Driveclub PS+ Edition" (digital, PS+ only) to describe the two means of acquiring the game. If they had not been specifically referring to two different versions of the game, then what you say would have merit; basically, you have to wait for your sub to lapse before you can buy the digital non-plus version of a game that is currently freely available.

That is not the case with "Driveclub" because it is not a free PS+ game. "Driveclub PS+ Edition" is, and will never be a full retail/digital game, so there will never be this particular collision.

It seems like they are treating the upgrade as DLC, not a separate game. So if you have the PS+ edition, then you do own Driveclub as part of the IGC (a free PS+ game). If you own a game as part of the IGC, then you can't buy it digitally.

The official comments have been ambiguous, and have avoided saying that if you have the Plus edition downloaded you can then opt to get the non-upgrade, digital version.

"My recommendation would be to give the FREE PS+ Edition a go when it comes out in October to see what you think of DRIVECLUB. If you like it – which i’m sure you will :) – then you have the choice of upgrading or just going out and buying the Blu-ray to get all of the content in one go."

He specifically omits the option of getting digital for someone who already has the Plus edition.

So as far as we know, based on the info available, unless specifically stated otherwise, a person who downloads the Plus edition can NOT then get the non-upgrade digital edition.

No, you're correct.

Essentially the PS+ version + $50 DLC = a PS+ discounted game that you don't get to keep forever unlike all other PS+ discounted titles. It's bullshit.

They could save themselves time and headache by just releasing the full game on the PS Store and give it a $10 discount for PS+ subscribers and scrap this whole free edition mess. OOOOOOORRRRR just let us keep the full game once we pay to unlock it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I think it's hilarious that Sony thought this would be okay. Just hilarious.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I am not sure what you mean,the tone right now is pretty bad.

Sure, but there is certainly an undercurrent of "Meh, doesn't effect me personally, IDC."

Obviously that'd be the case regardless, but I suspect many of those folks would be lambasting Microsoft for the same choices if the tables were turned.

rjinaz

I can't help but wonder if the general tone of this conversation would be different if this were an Xbox One exclusive.

I am not sure what you mean,the tone right now is pretty bad.

Yeah not sure I get what you mean either. Other than a few people, most seem to agree this is a pretty shitty move on the part of Sony. In fact, a lot of people you typically find the most excited for all things Sony, are agreeing this is shitty.

I can't imagine the situation would be any different. You would have most people saying it is shitty, and you would have a few defending it. Same thing as now.

breakfuss

I can't help but wonder if the general tone of this conversation would be different if this were an Xbox One exclusive.

Even though I mostly disagree with the reactions, it's a relief that even Sony isn't exempt from GAF's ire. Lol. Some of my faith has been restored in that whole "neutral ground" bit found in the motto.

No, you're correct.

Essentially the PS+ version + $50 DLC = a PS+ discounted game that you don't get to keep forever unlike all other PS+ discounted titles. It's bullshit.

They could save themselves time and headache by just releasing the full game on the PS Store and give it a $10 discount for PS+ subscribers and scrap this whole free edition mess. OOOOOOORRRRR just let us keep the full game once we pay to unlock it.

Thing is you can't even fully "purchase" a game now if it's given away. Not sure if that's by design to keep people sub'd or just an oversight but it's not like some new thing.

QaaQer

Year delay, only 50 cars, and now this bullshit? Thanks, Sony.

yup, whoever is managing this game is doing a shit job...guaranteed this bizzarre price structure will change, though. dudes like yoshi hate this kind of press.

edit: just curious, is this an online-only game?

Sure, but there is certainly an undercurrent of "Meh, doesn't effect me personally, IDC."

Obviously that'd be the case regardless, but I suspect many of those folks would be lambasting Microsoft for the same choices if the tables were turned.

There will be apologists for literally anything, for either company. It doesn't matter how terrible something is, someone will defend it and call those who are pissed about it whiny and entitled.

SilentFlyer

Sony's silent in this matter so far is ridiculous. I think they should solve it asap.

BTW, Isn't gameplay footage planned for today?

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
There will be apologists for literally anything, for either company. It doesn't matter how terrible something is, someone will defend it and call those who are pissed about it whiny and entitled.

Yeah, you're pretty much right. I'm just making an emotional argument about the invalidity of other's emotional arguments.

Being wrong is not fun.

rjinaz

Even though I mostly disagree with the reactions, it's a relief that even Sony isn't exempt from GAF's ire. Lol. Some of my faith has been restored in that whole "neutral ground" bit found in the motto.

This is exactly right. I hope this goes to show that Sony does not get a free pass. If GAF was how some imagine it to be, this would be a non-issue that would be largely dismissed, there certainly wouldn't be so much outrage nor even a campaign!

I admit that being a fan make me bias sometimes, but I try to step outside of that bias and hold companies accountable when they need to be and it seems those at GAF are no different. That's what makes this place great.

solarus

This is just disgusting and there is no way around it.
If we can raise awareness of the issue and get the press to report it then maybe they'll fix the problem.

jeanRicK

Their PR really messed up with this one I think. They should never have referred to it as a $50 'unlock'. They really should've said:

Hey, here's your free ps+ game. It comes with a few cars and tracks. If you play it and find you want more Driveclub, you can buy what you want for it. Want more cars? Buy more cars. Want more tracks? Buy more tracks. You could also buy this $50 mega content pack that gives you all the content you would've had with the full game.

Something along those lines may have come across a bit differently than a $50 'unlock/upgrade' that is still tied to plus.

Interfectum

So weird that Sony seems intent on squandering a lot of good PS4 and PS Plus goodwill on fucking Drive Club. It's not like that game is even going to be a runaway hit. Just package the full game with PS Plus and call it a day.

viveks86

Sony's silent in this matter so far is ridiculous. I think they should solve it asap.

BTW, Isn't gameplay footage planned for today?

Tomorrow. Blog entry on clubs today. Potentially an animated video on it, similar to yesterday's style

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looking back over the first post I'm just in disbelief. I can't believe $50 is considered an "add on", when it's almost the cost of the full game.
And the whole "you have the power/freedom with Plus" nonsense makes me want to vomit. Really shocked.

Thing is you can't even fully "purchase" a game now if it's given away. Not sure if that's by design to keep people sub'd or just an oversight but it's not like some new thing.

I am willing to give Sony the benefit of the doubt and assume that it was an initial oversight and that they just failed to come up with a proper solution. They are after all pretty incompetent about fixing relatively specific issues like that on the PSN.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is exactly how I see it, too. It might not be as economical (to some) to go with the former, but no one is forcing you take that route. I'm not seeing it, GAF. I understand why people are dismayed at the questionable "free w/ PS+" marketing, but I don't see at it as some implicitly shitty move on Sony's part. Just buy the retail version.

If this becomes a trend, then it is shitty because Sony lets people 'buy' games at a discount and ties them into future PS+ subs. The more games that do this, the more you are locked in.

And as for choice - people may not see the small print, just an easy upgrade path for a discounted rate - possibly shown from within the game to encourage uptake

This is terrible, Sony. Have you still not learned anything?

At the very least and price aside, since people retain access to games they pay money for (during their PS+ subscription), this should apply for Driveclub as well.

Terrible and arrogant move.

Liberty4all

Banned
Ok so SCEA is aware of this thread. As it is the EU blog referenced I believe they are going to discuss this with counterparts at SCEE first before commenting (if commenting).

I'll be out and about today but checking my email if anything official is sent my way.

viveks86

Indeed. I had dream last night about it. Saw they are offering the upgrade for $30 rather $50. Lol

24e739a1bcb977406fc19b4df045a20f.jpg

Top Bottom