• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts |OT| http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF9GBR3B0LE

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Quick question, I'm picking up the game tomorrow to play with friends, we do every year but with next-gen coming we weren't sure on what platforms we would be getting and when.

So anyway, this Free Fall map, is it in map rotation as a normal map, so everyone who has it can only play it with others that do? or is it in its own playlist like say Nuketown was in BO2?

Quick question, I'm picking up the game tomorrow to play with friends, we do every year but with next-gen coming we weren't sure on what platforms we would be getting and when.

So anyway, this Free Fall map, is it in map rotation as a normal map, so everyone who has it can only play it with others that do? or is it in its own playlist like say Nuketown was in BO2?

AFAIK: Its only in FFA, Cranked, and Moshpit

Hey guys I've never bought a call of duty before and might get a deal on this. I already have bf4 on ps4 although buggy. Is the multiplayer of this game at least better then the previous cod games?

SmokeMaxX

Hey guys I've never bought a call of duty before and might get a deal on this. I already have bf4 on ps4 although buggy. Is the multiplayer of this game at least better then the previous cod games?

It provokes strong emotions one way or the other. In some ways it has improved. In some ways it has regressed. This is probably one of the most frustrating CoDs just due to the spawns though. If you can get a good deal, it's worth it. Otherwise, it depends how much you like these sorts of games.

StoneHaven isn't a bad map. It's actually pretty fun IMO. Just too big so if the spawns are working against you, you can literally run around the map a few times (which would take several minutes) and not see anyone.

Chasm is... more annoying than bad. It'd actually be fun if the map was smaller I think. As it stands now, there's too much chaos. The map is split off into like 3-4 interconnected "battlefields" with different paths allowing you to flank whatever field (aka level) you're on. The problem is that people love to camp certain parts of the field so while you're trying to flank one end, you get shot in the leg by someone laying down in the subway.

Siege is pretty much beyond hope. I can't figure out any way to make that map actually good. At the very least I wouldn't give it a 0/10 or a 1/10. It's playable (if only partially).

One thing I hate about these maps is all the damn clutter everywhere. I try to use the combat knife in Free Fall and bam there's a fucking box on the ground for no reason that stops me from knifing someone.

Oh speaking of the combat knife, they really need to fix the mechanics on it. If you try to knife someone who's crouching, the game has a hard time locking on so you give them a haircut while they pump bullets into you. Thus dropshotters are very annoying to kill.

Absolutely not.

The game is not pure shit. But it is not an improvement over any previous COD game.

Its new, its shiny, there are new guns, new maps, tons of perk customization, new patches, killstreaks, etc. So there are plenty of reasons to play the game.

But it IS NOT better than previous COD games.

BraXzy

What's the general consensus on weapons? Which are considered all round the best? The MP5 of this game if you will? Because unlocking stuff does not come cheap!

And which sniper is consodered the best?

eek5

What's the general consensus on weapons? Which are considered all round the best? The MP5 of this game if you will? Because unlocking stuff does not come cheap!

And which sniper is consodered the best?

From what I've used:

god tier
mtar
msbs (requires pretty good aim)

good tier
mr28 (ia2 for longer maps)
remington
m27 (LMG)

honorable mentions:
the 2nd AR is pretty decent
ak12 (if you have good connection and good at map control/awareness otherwise you will get pooped on; you have to shoot first and hit first with this gun)
mk14 - if you are a headshot master this thing is a beast, otherwise you give up too much on the short end compared to mr28 compared to what you gain on the long end and ia2 is much better in the mid/long range than mk14. once you get further out mk14 starts gaining some traction so it's decent on maps like stonehaven

surprisingly decent:
underbarrel shotgun attachement (except for the fact that you can't reload) - note that this takes a slot because it occupies the lethal button so you can't take a lethal and you still have to spend a "perk point" but it's a no delay secondary for guns like mtar/remington that have slight disadvantages on the cqb range

other thoughts:
- grach is a pretty good pistol secondary but I'm not sure it is as competitve as underbarrel in CQB. If you're aiming and t urning corners a lot i'd take the underbarrel over it.
- k7 is supposedly really good if you run the stopping-power-esque perk but i wasn't feeling it
- uzi-looking gun is good din CQB with rapid fire but it falls off rapidly. it has almost no noticeable recoil close range though so you can win a lot of close gun fights
- vepyr is decent. I think you need focus though otherwise you get too much flinch; the mag is big so you can spray and prefire corners

first sniper is solid IMO but I haven't tried sniping much

IISANDERII

The hit detection and responsiveness is definitely miles better than the Black Ops series but the maps don't seem like fun. I feel like I'm developing PTSD over the constant fear of getting shot from any direction.

Flaxh

Guys, I've ordered an X1 and currently own Ghosts for the X360. Im thinking about selling it and getting the X1&X360 Digital Combo from AmazonUK but I'm afraid the X360 code won't work because my XBL account is portuguese. Has any of you tried something similar?

Everdred

My wife really wanted a game to play split screen on PS4 so we bought this and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it. I was really burnt out on Call of Duty so I was very hesitant about getting it but I'm enjoying it more than Black Ops 2. Also, surprised to see about 30,000 players online on a week old console.

Korten

Banned
Just beat the Single-Player, really liked it.

I actually thought the story was pretty good.

Also for myself I didn't expect that cliff hanger. I mean I was fully expecting to finally kill him and there but he just dragged Logan off... :(

IISANDERII

Most fun I had with the campaign was trying to go off script and just seeing what would happen. The problem is that you can't stray far at all it's so tightly controlled, you can't even breathe if it's not in the script. It would just give you some lame failure message.

Also, I played through on Hardened and although it wasn't bad, there was a part where the lazy execution is shamefully obvious. I was in a squad of 5 dudes and I hang way back because I want to snipe and the rest of my squad are right up close engaged with the enemy; so who do every single enemy aim at the moment I appear? Me. I haven't even fired a shot yet but they're all over me, shooting me with SMGs from 100 paces with perfect aim. From the hip.

So next time I try to do the opposite and sneak way up ahead of my squad and hide in the corner before the action begins. The enemy appears and as soon as they spot my squad, they all turn to me and fire, ignoring my squad completely. All this without the enemy seeing me and without me firing a single shot. It's just incredibly bad design/AI/programming/whatever and it hasn't changed in all these years. Still the same animations, same exact story telling, same dialogue, same characters just renamed and recast. The shiniest, most sparkling turd I've seen yet. Can't wait to go through Veteran.

Man, the campaign was flat out ridiculous, haha.

Just about every setpiece you can think of they had it. Everytime I think "Yep, next CoD can'tt top this," they do so, handidly.

Tank mission is unquestionably my favorite level.

kdash7

Does Xbox version of Ghosts have system link option? Like 4 players..two Xbox ones connected..two Tvs..same room?

Is there an option in the PS4 version?

Finally got my platinum trophy tonight after the game was generous with the extinction challenges. On the second to last challenge we nearly lost it because of the 'kill 10 enemies with traps' challenge came up, which is nearly impossible due to the sheer amount of health enemies have at that stage. We all basically had to lie down in the fire trap nearly dying just to lure all the aliens in and we JUST made it, with only one of us alive feverishly trying to revive the others.

I had a blast with extinction and hope they add more maps.

Wasp14

The hit detection and responsiveness is definitely miles better than the Black Ops series but the maps don't seem like fun. I feel like I'm developing PTSD over the constant fear of getting shot from any direction.

This is my problem with the game. I've played every Call of Duty but seem to be killed more than any other in Ghosts. The pace seems a lot faster in Infinity Ward's games, I've had difficulty getting any kill streaks going.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the popcorn fun of the campaign (which felt longer than the others). The thing I miss the most (on PS3) is the option to install the textures to the HD. I can hear the laser constantly at work and I'm worried about future wear.

Free Fall dlc is now available for those who pre-ordered or bought day1 digital version on European PSN Store !

Map was added to my download list.

Wasp14

I really want to like this game but I'm not having any fun with the multiplayer. After five hours (the shortest time I've ever spent online in COD) I'm done. It's just too easy to get killed from every single angle in each map.I went back to Black Ops II for a few rounds to see if maybe it was because I was rusty, but consistently placed first-third in that game. There's a different pace, it seems like you're alive much longer in it than in Ghosts.

Maybe I'm just bad at the play style Infinity Ward created for their series. The maze like maps, new levelling system and pace just aren't from me. The campaign and extinction are enjoyable though.

Something happened on PS3 with the latest patch, seems resolution in some areas or something to that extent got dropped, performance is way better now.

Infinity

MP - short review. (have not played SP, although I've heard it's very good). My opinion based on quick observations and many years of MP gaming. Nothing too serious or earth-shattering - so please take with a grain of salt.

Being a COD and BF vet, I seriously think this game represents a step back from what should have been an excellent MP experience. For me, the bugs and glitches really tear this game apart.

Really, it's amazing to me how at one time, I was in favor of IW vs Treyarch, and now I'm all Team-Trayarch.

The hacking is this game is out of hand from what I've seen on the playback cams.
Back-spawning continues to plague the game, and for whatever reason, they refuse to adjust those algorithms.

The graphics, at least on the PC, have to be dialed in perfectly or you suffer from stuttering. I have a 4770K, EVGA GTX 780 ACX Classified and 16GB of RAM, and have all sorts of graphical glitches. Fortunately, from my own reading, I think I've found the magic solution that lets me play relatively stutter-free. Hell, I read one case where SLI-Titans were struggling. Crazy. Still, it took quite a bit of time, and seemed unnecessary.

There's some kind of weird memory leak which causes the game to crash periodically with the "COD Ghosts has stopped unexpectedly" kind of error. Googling reveals this to be a somewhat common issue.

Quick-scoping is still in the game - no biggie for me, but from others' perspective, could be an issue. Knifing is still pretty powerful but again, not something I'm too concerned about.

The graphics, in all appearances, seem to be washed out in color. Colors looks weak and the textures seem either too sharp or faded. There doesn't seem to be any kind of color-balance, which makes MP feel a little off to me. Some of the venues though, look pretty good.

Unfortunately, the maps seem a little bland. They haven't really grabbed my attention like previous incarnations of the game have. Maybe I'll get acclimated to them in time.

IW seems to be working on updates to correct problems, so that's good to see.

Not all doom and gloom for me. I'm still having fun, but it's not as much fun as I was hoping to have with this. COD and I go a long way back together, and I was hoping for another romp before hanging it up for good. :)

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
First posted this in the DF thread on accident

Okay, I just got this game cause my buddy wanted it, and I gotta say getting the doge in multiplayer was pretty awesome. Thing is like a cloud of death that follows you around lol.

One question, I'm on PS3 slim, got it last year, and the thing is constantly spinning and reading the disc when I play online. I'm usually not picky about how noisy my consoles are but this shit is kind of crazy. I'm sure other people have this issue (my buddy does), but I haven't ever noticed anything like this on another game, is it just Ghosts or is it just playing online (haven't ever played online on my PS3 yet)?

Anyway, doge is sweet :p

Infinity

Very strange. Almost like an enemy had placed an explosive there, and the timing was just perfect -- too perfect vs. the player's fall.

I've spotted so many aimbots it isn't even funny. You know when someone's using an aimbot, because they always "seem to know" where you're going to be and start shooting ahead of even seeing you. And this isn't when an Oracle has been deployed either. I've been listening for that, because that is a valid in-game tool.

I'm going to play the SP now, and hope for the best. I usually like IW's storytelling.

But seriously - this is bad...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So Ghosts 2 will be out 2015 (I'm 100% sure there will be a sequel)? The campaign was pretty good for the 5 hours it took me to complete. The plot took me back to how R6 Vegas ended, but all in all the campaign looked great.

There just isn't any nonlinear paths to take. The game is great entertainment, but it needs some form of exploration.

The dog adds a lot to single player mode.

Wasp14

One question, I'm on PS3 slim, got it last year, and the thing is constantly spinning and reading the disc when I play online. I'm usually not picky about how noisy my consoles are but this shit is kind of crazy. I'm sure other people have this issue (my buddy does), but I haven't ever noticed anything like this on another game, is it just Ghosts or is it just playing online (haven't ever played online on my PS3 yet)?

Anyway, doge is sweet :p

It's the game streaming everything from the disc. I'm not a big fan of it either since (I think) it's putting more wear on the laser. Black Ops II had an option to install the textures to the HD, but that's missing in Ghosts.

kdash7

Does Xbox version of Ghosts have system link option? Like 4 players..two Xbox ones connected..two Tvs..same room?

Is there an option in the PS4 version?

Anyone? Appreciate an answer...

Also does the XB1 version take advantage of the impulse triggers on the XB1 controller?

Frillen

The maps in this game sucks so hard compared to MW1 and MW2 maps. The biggest problem is that in the MW1 and MW2 maps there were like 1-3 routes to get you around the maps, while there are 5.1 million routes to get you around the maps in Ghosts. Every single map in MW1 and MW2 had great hotspots which resulted in some epic firefights. There are almost none in Ghosts. I miss the MW1/MW2 days :(

sobaka770

Banned
Wow. I've played through the SP campaign and am so glad that my friend bought it and lent it to me for free(he's getting his PlayStation 4 in a w weeks only). I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but this is a bad game, and feels like a cash grab. I know battlefield 4 has server issues but when they work, call of duty just doesn't compare at all. It feels cheap and calculated, and what bothers me most is that it works and the game sells millions above the more inventive competition (I would say even the relatively tame killzone shadow fall is much better than this).

I started playing call of duty since the very first game about the second world war. That was a great game. Some historical setting, big set pieces, multiple perspectives campaign, iconic moments recession. Surely it was not at all realistic, but it has some weight and emotional impact.

Since they went for mp focus and made the campaign all about Americans saving the world in ridiculous settings it's become garbage. Ghosts features the most stupid plot imaginable with the cheap voice acting and last gen looking visuals even on PlayStation 4. I would talk about how nothing in the plot makes sense but Yahtzee from zero punctuation has a good summary in his review.

I find it insulting that a game which is rated 18+ has a plot even the 12 year old kids will snort at.

SmokeMaxX

The maps in this game sucks so hard compared to MW1 and MW2 maps. The biggest problem is that in the MW1 and MW2 maps there were like 1-3 routes to get you around the maps, while there are 5.1 million routes to get you around the maps in Ghosts. Every single map in MW1 and MW2 had great hotspots which resulted in some epic firefights. There are almost none in Ghosts. I miss the MW1/MW2 days :(

Yeah. That's one of my problems with the game. It turns mind games into lotteries.
One example:
If you and someone else see each other around a circular structure in earlier CoDs, you could fake like you're going left and then go right and shoot the other guy in the back. In Ghosts, you could try that, but this time the guy can go over or under the structure now. So even though you're trying to out think your opponent, you still have a high chance of getting shot in the back or letting the opponent just straight run away.

Wow. I've played through the SP campaign and am so glad that my friend bought it and lent it to me for free(he's getting his PlayStation 4 in a w weeks only). I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but this is a bad game, and feels like a cash grab. I know battlefield 4 has server issues but when they work, call of duty just doesn't compare at all. It feels cheap and calculated, and what bothers me most is that it works and the game sells millions above the more inventive competition (I would say even the relatively tame killzone shadow fall is much better than this).

I started playing call of duty since the very first game about the second world war. That was a great game. Some historical setting, big set pieces, multiple perspectives campaign, iconic moments recession. Surely it was not at all realistic, but it has some weight and emotional impact.

Since they went for mp focus and made the campaign all about Americans saving the world in ridiculous settings it's become garbage. Ghosts features the most stupid plot imaginable with the cheap voice acting and last gen looking visuals even on PlayStation 4. I would talk about how nothing in the plot makes sense but Yahtzee from zero punctuation has a good summary in his review.

I find it insulting that a game which is rated 18+ has a plot even the 12 year old kids will snort at.

Have you played a campaign since 4?
COD4 = SAS(UK) saves the world
MW2 = TF141(UK) against an evil American general, Americans just defending America
MW3 = Americans retaliating(leads to standstill), Captain Price(UK) & Yuri(Russian) saving the day
Ghosts = is Americans defending an already defeated America

Don't compare it to Battlefield and then mention the campaign without discussing the complete garbage that DICE has tried to pass off twice now as a campaign.
(worst part being they actually knew what they were doing in the past with Bad Company)

nOoblet16

I am slowly starting to like the game but I have two major complaints which basically annoy the shit out of me:

1) The health is too damn low, like it's extremely low. COD games already give player quite low health but this is too much. Blops 2 had it perfect for a COD game.

2) The maps are mostly shit because every room has like 3 entry points, each of which is connected to another 3 entry points. Map control is essentially impossible because of this because you can't check corners properly. You can check one corner then move to the other one and you'll get shot because there's either someone coming out of the corner you just checked or is able to see you from halfway across the map. This coupled up with the low health is extremely irritating.

nOoblet16

Almost the entirety of my deaths are either from being shot in the back or from across the map. Rarely do I ever see myself getting killed from a direct confrontation.

eek5

Almost the entirety of my deaths are either from being shot in the back or from across the map. Rarely do I ever see myself getting killed from a direct confrontation.

Must be nice. Most of my deaths come from me losing 1v1s where I have the upper hand. Feels way worse than getting picked off by someone who is holding down a long LoS or flanks you :/

Top Bottom