• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calling Slayven: Death battle: Darth Vader VS Dr. Doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Doom has resisted mind control, without his protective helmet, through sheer will, I don't think the Force would do much to him.

...So are there any good Doom collections out there that revolve around him? He needs his own series. Where he does Doom things.

Well, the whole "strong minds resisting force suggestion" is a different from actually not getting choked or whatever, but that is a good point (the killgrave thing specifically), though I don't think anyone would expect that Vader could wave his arm and make Doom do anything.

PsychBat!

Banned
Doom has resisted mind control, without his protective helmet, through sheer will, I don't think the Force would do much to him.

...So are there any good Doom collections out there that revolve around him? He needs his own series. Where he does Doom things.

The current Marvel event is a perfect example of Doom doing Doom things.

Secret Wars, btw.

Well, the whole "strong minds resisting force suggestion" is a different from actually not getting choked or whatever, but that is a good point (the killgrave thing specifically), though I don't think anyone would expect that Vader could wave his arm and make Doom do anything.

I would assume the 'force' is just mental suggesting to the next level. Like, when Vader chokes someone he's just suggesting the neck to close up. Or when they use the force to grab something from far away, they're just suggesting to the midichlorians to grab something and bring it to their hand.

The current Marvel event is a perfect example of Doom doing Doom things.

Secret Wars, btw.

I'll wait till it's in a tradebook~! Thanks!

Xgx6Cm9.jpg

No man's second choice, GAF.

Read Books of Doom

Secret Wars right now is pretty much Doom doing the most Doom things he's ever done.

kswiston

Most of them are not good imo.

Going by the films (which are the only things that are cannon at this point), I am not sure how anyone gets the impression that Darth Vader is in a league above comic or pulp novel villains. He's not Judge Holden. People like him because he has a cool costume, a laser sword, and James Earl Jones' voice. He's definitely memorable, but so is the Joker.

zeemumu

Even Movie Doom could have held his own against Vader. Comics Doom is insane in his abilities.

Vader is cool and a top tier force user but he's at a massive handicap because of his lava based health problems.

I was following it before secret wars, but it is too much of a mess to read.

You really only need to read the last issue of time runs out and maybe secret wars 1 and 2 to figure out what happened. 3 books tops, maybe four.

Richards and the Illuminati failed to save the universe or even figure out what the beyonders were doing. What survives exists because of Doom. Richards barely survived with the help of every hero ever, but his family is dead. Doom recreated them all for shits and giggles sans Reed, and is currently banging Susan Richards. So yeah, Doom won here.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
You really only need to read the last issue of time runs out and maybe secret wars 1 and 2 to figure out what happened. 3 books tops, maybe four.

Richards and the Illuminati failed to save the universe or even figure out what the beyonders were doing. What survives exists because of Doom. Richards barely survived with the help of every hero ever, but his family is dead. Doom recreated them all for shits and giggles sans Reed, and is currently banging Susan Richards. So yeah, Doom won here.

Christ.

Is there anything that Marvel WON'T let writers do with their IPs?

kswiston

Christ.

Is there anything that Marvel WON'T let writers do with their IPs?

Manmademan is making it sound worse than it actually is. Also, Doom didn't do everything on his own either. He had the help of Dr Stange and was basically led through the plan by one of the most powerful beings in the universe.

Manmademan is making it sound worse than it actually is. Also, Doom didn't do everything on his own either. He had the help of Dr Stange and was basically led through the plan by one of the most powerful beings in the universe.

I'm on my phone, only so much detail I can go into. I'm leaving stuff out but it's broadly accurate.

Strange ALSO got horribly owned by Dooms black swans even AFTER a massive power bump in time runs out.

Trey

So how isn't Doom running marvel 24/7? Who are the other broken tier marvel characters stealing his shine?

kswiston

I'm on my phone, only so much detail I can go into. I'm leaving stuff out but it's broadly accurate.

Strange ALSO got horribly owned by Dooms black swans even AFTER a massive power bump in time runs out.

Ya, but that was after 20 years of Doom prepping for the Beyonders fight. Doom prepping for a few days is often enough to win most fights, so I don't think you can fault Stephen much. He sort of ran in blind.

The point stands that Doom would have never accomplished anything if Owen Reece didn't lead him by the hand towards a solution.

Nope - the plan to fuck with the Beyonders was Molecule Man's. Killing them? All Doom. Even Molecule Man and Strange were surprised.

Nope - the plan to fuck with the Beyonders was Molecule Man's. Killing them? All Doom. Even Molecule Man and Strange were surprised.

Molecule Man and Strange just wanted to mess with them. Doom ain't got time for that Mickey Mouse bullshit. Might as well just wipe them from existence.

kswiston

I meant before that. It's all recursive since we learn that
Doom caused the incursion events in the first place
, but he wouldn't have been in a position to solve the big problem if Molecule Man didn't give him a grand tour of what was being done.

I meant before that. It's all recursive since we learn that
Doom caused the incursion events in the first place
, but he wouldn't have been in a position to solve the big problem if Molecule Man didn't give him a grand tour of what was being done.

That's fair, but it's not like he was just sitting on his arse. He was actively pursuing a solution with the help of Molecule Man, who filled him in on the important details.

That's fair, but it's not like he was just sitting on his arse. He was actively pursuing a solution with the help of Molecule Man, who filled him in on the important details.

The fact that Doom was keeping Molecule Man locked in his basement and bouncing ideas around with the Mad Thinker on how to handle the situation should show that Doom ain't to be fucked with.

kswiston

Molecule Man and Strange just wanted to mess with them. Doom ain't got time for that Mickey Mouse bullshit. Might as well just wipe them from existence.

Strange wanted to kill Rabum Alal, and sent Thor and Company to do the same to the Ivory Kings. They just didn't know what the hell they were doing.

Everybody in this thread or any of the threads like it needs to listen to the Violence Island podcast. It's nothing but"who would win in a fight" questions.

So how isn't Doom running marvel 24/7? Who are the other broken tier marvel characters stealing his shine?

You guys need to get on that Secret Wars.
Doom's been running the world for about 8 years , he's the literal in every sense of the word, God of the marvel universe right now.

Reed is pretty much the reason Doom hasn't taken over from the jump, he's the one man Doom fears and knows can screw him over, he's fixated on him.

Strange wanted to kill Rabum Alal, and sent Thor and Company to do the same to the Ivory Kings. They just didn't know what the hell they were doing.

Well, in Thor and Hyperion's defense, they did the best they could and went down like champs. Hyperion and Thor having a deep bro moment before going in to certain death was one of the highlights of the build up to Secret Wars.

Trey

Read it ourselves? Goodness no. That's why we create these threads and pick the minds of those more familiar with this stuff.

He probably doesn't think it is worth his time.

Plus Doom is super mainstream. Slayven would be in here if it was Vader vs Gideon or someone else who casual comic fans have never heard of.
Was Gideon the racist sentinel or am I thinking of somebody else? I stopped reading comics around that time.

Plus Doom is super mainstream. Slayven would be in here if it was Vader vs Gideon or someone else who casual comic fans have never heard of.

Gideon is also an insta loss. Completely, utterly broken power set.

Heroman

Banned
On the match:
This was no contest. Doom won from the word "go". He's crazy powerful

On the next episode:
GOD DAMN IT! Now the internet isn't going to shut up about it for 3 months. Superman won then, and he'll win again. Don't forget, even at Super Saiyan God, Goku was still no match for Beerus.
That more cause beerus was on a whole different level than goku at the time.

My personal favorites are Magneto and Harry's Green Goblin. I prefer tragic figures who havea good story behind them. I never cared for anything I read of Doom.
Edit: don't sleep on Mole Man.

Good news for you: Vic's story is about as tragic as Erik's. Read Books of Doom, then read Dr. Doom and Doctor Strange: Triumph and Torment.

Slayven passing up the chance to school all of us plebs on his comic knowledge? He will show up here. If anything just to show Obscure Character D and how bad he would spank Vader before that character gets stomped by Doom.

BTW, I say this out of deep love and respect for Slayven.

kswiston

In this thread we find out who was around for the last Goku Vs Superman discussion and who wasn't.

I've read through the Dragonball Z portion of the Dragonball manga, and seen most episodes of the show. Ignoring the fact that Superman would have no reason to fight him, Clark could just fly through Goku at light speed as he is gathering chi if he really wanted to. Z Warriors don't really have much defense compared to heavy hitters in the DCU.

So I should get into this stuff by reading secret wars then?

Yes. If you can, read Time Runs Out first to get some of the set up, but you can jump into Secret Wars cold and be fine.

Now, if you want to be crazy, read the entire runs of Avengers and New Avengers by Hickman for the multi year set up for Secret Wars.

Extra crazy? Read Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF run too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom