• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we be proud of the British Empire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No, you see. India is only where it is today because Britain fucked it over decades ago.

If Indian becomes a world hegemony and unites humanity, it will all be because of Britain's stellar influence in ages past.

I mean, I'm kind of a self-hating American and I love making fun of 'the "murica" kind of rhetoric but this is really something else.

I guess we're not truly responsible for anything we did because we're just an amputated part of the British Empire.

all_hail_britannia_by_x_the_red_angel_x.jpg

3205487_1365494749143.49res_500_281.jpg

If the brits were truly noble they would have propagated their ideals through cooperation rather than subjugation. They would be loved to this day if they had. That would have been something to be proud of.
Be proud of the many great scientists, thinkers and writers that the country has yielded to advance humanity and not the faded legacy of conquest and savagery left by the oligarchs and their lapdogs. Rule britannia!

I'm pretty sure if you asked Indians if they'd prefer the Koh-i-Noor over parliamentary democracy and constitutional government, I'm pretty sure I know which way they'd go. I'm not saying the British Empire was perfect, but this idea that they were only a force for evil in the world is ridiculous and silly.
Ah the good ol civilizing white imperialism culture argument. What makes you think India would not have achieved a democratic system on it's own just like other countries?

Also, yes British Empire was a force for evil and nothing but. Do you have any fucking clue about British Raj's land and tax policies? Do you know anything about the Independence movement? Start with Jallianwalabagh Massacre. British East India Company's plunder of India is estimated to be in trillions of dollars. Kohinoor is just the tip of the iceberg.

Also you're wrong. I'm pretty sure, 100%, that Indians would prefer their plundered treasure back and do not credit the British Raj with the "democracy". Victoria was the biggest thief on the face of the earth.

pigeon

Banned
Ah the good ol civilizing white imperialism culture argument. What makes you think India would not have achieved a democratic system on it's own just like other countries?

Also, yes British Empire was a force for evil and nothing but. Do you have any fucking clue about British Raj's land and tax policies? Do you know anything about the Independence movement? Start with Jallianwalabagh Massacre. British East India Company's plunder of India is estimated to be in trillions of dollars. Kohinoor is just the tip of the iceberg.

Also you're wrong. I'm pretty sure, 100%, that Indians would prefer their plundered treasure back and do not credit the British Raj with the "democracy".

For the record, there's historical evidence of republican city-states in ancient India, so they had just as much chance of developing democracy as the Greco-Roman descendants did.

dabig2

Every time someone brings up some altruistic reason for the British empire in India, I just go to Winston Churchill quotes. So many classics.

As someone that lives in a part of the world where there colonial policies still have repercussions I would have to say no.

An extraordinarily disproportionate amount of people had to die / suffer for a small amount of people to profit.

The fact they are hated in so many parts of the world points to that fact.

Every time someone brings up some altruistic reason for the British empire in India, I just go to Winston Churchill quotes. So many classics.

This reminds me that Churchill's thugs tortured Obama's grandfather because he was black. I wonder how Nazi websites feel about Churchill actually...

Walpurgis

Banned
Yeah, I'm getting sick of this white people civilising primitive peoples and everyone being better off being colonised argument. It's ignorant and incredibly offensive. If that's all you have just stop posting.

Yeah, I'm getting sick of this white people civilising primitive peoples and everyone being better off being colonised argument. It's ignorant and incredibly offensive. If that's all you have just stop posting.

OP also wants to talk about the intellectual inferiority of black and brown people tho.

Walpurgis

Banned
As someone that lives in a part of the world where there colonial policies still have repercussions I would have to say no.

An extraordinarily disproportionate amount of people had to die / suffer for a small amount of people to profit.

The fact they are hated in so many parts of the world points to that fact.

But you don't understand. Those people are happier dead. And only a few people profited? What are you on about? We gave you democracy! Before that, you were rolling around in their own filth. You should being thanking us. That hate you are referring to is actually an extreme level of happiness that was unobtainable until the Great British Empire charitably unlocked it.

gtsq(god save the queen)! So much ungratefulness in this world today... :/

Don't think you can be proud of an exploitative genocidal empire but there is no debating the huge influence the British Empire has had on modern civilisation.

I'm sorry but many cultures would still be backward if it weren't for the British Empire and all the innovations and discoveries it bore. I'd say a lot of modern dysfunctional countries are like that despite the influence of the British Empire, not because of it.

AllenShrz

No they haven't. It's of course difficult to establish a system of liberty and law and order where only warlordism and absolute power reigned supreme. That doesn't mean India isn't better off now as an imperfect representative democracy than it was under their old system.

I'm pretty happy in saying that I don't think any other contry has contributed more to world happiness than GB. This is of course understanding that they weren't Angels and did some atrocious things as well. I'm also perfectly happy saying that I think former british colonies have done much better than former Dutch or former French colonies.

Oh wow!

So much happiness was spread no doubt, "Whatever happens, we have got The Maxim gun, and they have not".

pigeon

Banned
Bwahahaha. No. Britain only spread constitutional democracy to its white colonies. I'll give you the slave trade, but the British were fervent slavers long before they sought to abolish it, and were actually the ones smuggling slaves into Spain's colonial empire for profit. Come to think of it, I've never figured out why the Spanish never had any slaving outposts of their own and instead outsourced that to others.

I meant to respond to this earlier. The Spanish didn't have African slaves because they preferred to enslave the Native Americans they encountered. Unfortunately there weren't ever any abolition movements for them because the Spanish more or less worked them all to death and ended up needing to import Africans to replace them. See, for instance, the indigenous Taino peoples of Hispaniola. (Just kidding, you can't, they're all dead because the Spanish killed them.)

One thing you can say for the British Empire is that if you had to choose a European power to be colonized by, the British were probably still the best choice compared to the Germans, French, Dutch, Portuguese and Spanish. But that's not really a high bar.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
or is it too early?

Whenever someone expresses pride at the british empire they'll get loads of furious comments about how taking pride in an institution that subdued, surpressed and looted so many people is wrong. Yet how was any empire ever any different? We look at the Roman Empire with awe due to their sophistication and their impact on history and what not, yet the roman empire was also known for subduing and looting other people. Same with any other empire as far as I can think.

Is it simply too early to express any pride since most countries were still colonies in our parents/grandparents lifetime? Because if you look at it from a conquest or basic human need of securing resources point of view the british empire was an amazing achievement. Not to mention establishing the first world wide empire where the sun never sets, ruling the waves, pax britannica, etc.

8Ahatd2.png

Or more serious: leaving a legacy of democracies, rule of law, infrastructure etc.

Do you think it will become acceptable at some point? Discuss.

Hopefully not.

Also, why are you proud? You had absolutely nothing to do with whatever it is you admire about it.

Metroxed

I always find it weird when people choose to take pride in things that 1) they didn't do or had any part on, 2) happened when they didn't even exist. I mean.... why?

I'm Basque and I know there were many -- and famous -- Basque conquistadors that conquered places and founded great cities during the Spanish Empire. None of them mean anything to me, I had nothing to do with it. Why should I be proud?

Damerman

They didn't...they created railroads to transport raw materials out of the colony and to Britain. They created the infrastructure as a means to exploit the country, not out of their kind hearts for the natives. They did not imagine themselves leaving the colonies. We can start forgiving the British Empire as soon as they start returning the ex-colonies their prized jewels.
Lmao david cameron says giving the diamond back is "illogical"

What the fuck... Give that shit back.

StayDead

I still can't stand how we idolise Winston Churchill in England. He was a horrible man who comitted war crimes and got away with it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The Egyptians, the ottomans, the moors, the persians. Brutal empires that have also brought significant advances to the people they conquered are not a preserve of white people.

Abolishing the slave trade. Britains were unique in their fervency towards abolitionism.

Spreading representative and constitutional democracy. The greatest system of government devised by man, so much so that almost every single other nation state has emulated it or at least has tried giving the impression of emulating it. If not, there are people inside these countries who wish to emulate it.

I think it's pretty reasonable to be proud of the British Empire, yes, they did some dastardly things...and we shouldn't bury that, but that should not forget that they did make the world a better place for a hell of a lot of people.

the sad thing he is writing this in a serious note

Toxi

Banned
The Egyptians, the ottomans, the moors, the persians. Brutal empires that have also brought significant advances to the people they conquered are not a preserve of white people.
Considering the poster was talking about the British and not the Egyptians, Ottomans, Moors, or Persians, I'm wondering why this is relevant. The British Empire was absolutely founded on the philosophy of the white man's burden.

I'm starting to think you guys are just jealous.

yes,thats the reason...you caught us all

i wanna be fair to you and made a civil response,let me explain

im spanish,we got our empire too as big or even bigger on a bigger scale of land and time,and im not proud of all the shit they did on the past,is history? yes,some good things were done in that empire ? of course,every empire does shitty things? yes

im not a big fan of the whole modern "social justice twitter\forum thing,i find these people ridiculous and petulant" but im a story nut and believe the state of the world we live is direct cause of all the actions empires like the british did on the past,and when im talking about the past its not 400 years..its even 40 years

be proud of a empire based on opression and killing ( and a miriad of abominable things) its absurd,no one sane person with real knowledge of what happened can do that,but alas,here we are,imagine a guy being proud of the nazi regime,he will be banned on seconds,and we got here even a mod doing jokes about british superiority

and dont get me wrong,i love london,i really like english people,i dont judge you or other on the acts of your empire or goverment,but the first step to end the really social injustice commited on the past is being sincere and admit that happened,and try to help to restore the damage done in the past

be proud of that,not a empire

SmokyDave

I'm starting to think you guys are just jealous.
Of course they are. If you live somewhere like Luxembourg where nothing relevant or important has ever happened, you're bound to get a bit pissy when people take pride in a proper nation and it's myriad of humanity changing and defining achievements.

Don't hate us 'cause you ain't us.

yes,thats the reason...you caught us all
You're prime suspect number one.

Man, Prime Suspect was a great show. Helen Mirren is a national treasure.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Of course they are. If you live somewhere like Luxembourg where nothing relevant or important has ever happened, you're bound to get a bit pissy when people take pride in a proper nation and it's myriad of humanity changing and defining achievements.

Don't hate us 'cause you ain't us.

You're prime suspect number one.

Man, Prime Suspect was a great show. Helen Mirren is a national treasure.

o8_l.jpg

God save the Queen!

As a fellow Brit who's family's fought for this country and heritage I am proud as fuck of what our ancestors accomplished and done from as a small naval Island. We beat a lot of people to the punch on many breakthroughs and up showed them Frenchies many a times!

Hell my great grand father was a British Lt and took down a German from Fisticuffs and his bayonet and still come back for Tea, a good smoke on his pipe, and some lovely crumpets and did all that out of British spirit and to protect his family (and also my nan living a good life to never work in all her days the jammy girl!) What more proud can you be for that?

Stop being jelly you lot!

Not even considering the fact that the British Empire was a colonial one under which many, many many innocent people suffered. Why would you even be proud of something to which you contributed nothing?

Be proud of something which you achieved. There is no reason to be proud of your country, nationality, your gender, skin color or your sexuality. Things which are all random and arbitrary.

I hope we will all live to see that we get over these nation-based (I really don't want to use the word nationalistic, although it might fit) ideas.

MrChom

I'm British.

That is to say my family is Irish Ukrainian with a bit of Welsh and some English for good measure.

Can we be proud of the British Empire? Absolutely. It was one of the greatest trading, military, and political powers to ever dominate the face of the earth and each and every citizen of Britain and its former colonies is part of that legacy.

But legacy is about more than just the good bits. We can be proud, and yet still recognise the evil that was done in the name of the Empire. Whether the good outweighs the bad is something for the history books to decide over the next several centuries.

As it is I'm still proud of Britain today, somewhat tarnished by our ridiculous government. I'm proud to be part of a vibrant multicultural Britain that still punches far above its weight on the world stage in spite of almost criminal mis-management. I'm proud that someone like me whose ethnic background is a weird mix of nationalities is seen as being as British as they come.

In conclusion...

https://youtu.be/FkF_XpA5P48

o8_l.jpg

God save the Queen!

As a fellow Brit who's family's fought for this country and heritage I am proud as fuck of what our ancestors accomplished and done from as a small naval Island. We beat a lot of people to the punch on many breakthroughs and up showed them Frenchies many a times!

Hell my great grand father was a British Lt and took down a German from Fisticuffs and his bayonet and still come back for Tea, a good smoke on his pipe, and some lovely crumpets and did all that out of British spirit and to protect his family (and also my nan living a good life to never work in all her days the jammy girl!) What more proud can you be for that?

Stop being jelly you lot!

imagine this post from a nazi perspective

Walshicus

I still can't stand how we idolise Winston Churchill in England. He was a horrible man who comitted war crimes and got away with it.
Because we love spectacle.

On topic, no it's not okay to be proud of England's Empire. First, none of us had anything to do with it, second it was an immoral abuser of indigenous peoples.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
imagine this post from a nazi perspective

Hey that's how crazy things were back in the old world, it was full of pride and crazy people doing all that for their own beliefs and traditions as the world started to grow up. It was a completely different time and to try and relate to how it was back compared to society now is arbitrary at best because we are way different now.

Hey that's how crazy things were back in the old world, it was full of pride and crazy people doing all that for their own beliefs and traditions as the world started to grow up. It was a completely different time and to try and relate to how it was back compared to society now is arbitrary at best because we are way different now.

back on the old world? you were doing shitty things 40 years ago,and i repeat i love english people and the country,and i get were u come from,but in the big scheme of things on numbers and time the english empire is as bad or worst than the nazi regime,its curious how we treat things in this modern era

iwannaseethereceipts.gif
in centuries? yes.. almost 200 years

JordanN

Banned
Why do we need to be proud of the British Empire? Why not just modern Britain?

Somebody said earlier that it's akin to worshiping the Confederacy, and I agree.

Both had evil legacies that gets ignored because people try to portray them as "cool". We should be trying to educate the masses about these horrors, instead of trying to idolize them.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
instead of being proud of horrible shit like the empire at least be proud of shit like the industrial revolution and britain's scientific and technological history.

A lot of our so called 'achievements' left millions off for the worst. I'm not particularly patriotic, though I guess there's a couple of things I'd say I'm proud of, but the Empire we used to have isn't one of them. To this day, as a white person, just as in the US, you're directly benefiting from the suffering of my ancestors within that imperial network the British established.

You shouldn't feel guilty about that. I don't think any white person should, before people try and accuse me of guilt tripping. But at the same time, I don't think any white person should take pride in it either. It's incredibly offensive.

Hell, even disregarding race, the aristocracy is still alive and well in this country because of how long that empire lasted and what went down. The elite upper class over here are a group I find insufferable and they're still thriving because of the empire.

King_Moc

Banned
A little bit yes, and a little bit no. It's amusing to see a the people giving a straight up 'no' though. It seems very hypocritical to say that while also living a life where you're reaping the benefits of that empire.

Real Hero

A little bit yes, and a little bit no. It's amusing to see a the people giving a straight up 'no' though. It seems very hypocritical to say that while also living a life where you're reaping the benefits of that empire.
No it doesnt. I don't get that point at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom