• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom to announce MH4 new details at Capcom Summer Jam: 30th June - 1st July

MightyKAC

I'm debating on whether or not to go to this thing.

On one hand it will prolly be a fun show to attend but on the other hand it's 2000yen up to and 3.5 hours on the train just to see what I'm sure will be on the internet tomorrow....

Decisions, decisions.

A Vita or PS3/360 Monster Hunter would make my day at the event. But I know it's not going to happen. :(

Either way, I'm completely looking forward to MH4 details at this event. I'm wondering if the game has had an overhaul since the last time it was shown.

Serious question, if monhun is such a huge franchise for capcom why not put it on as many platforms as possible? I am sure it would sell great on the 3ds but having it on all others would only allow it to sell better, especially in markets outside Japan.

Erethian

Serious question, if monhun is such a huge franchise for capcom why not put it on as many platforms as possible? I am sure it would sell great on the 3ds but having it on all others would only allow it to sell better, especially in markets outside Japan.

Monster Hunter is a huge franchise because of local multiplayer. Which is kind of anathema to going multi platform.

I will buy whatever platform MH4 is on if they localize it.

All HR+ content to be on-disc DLC

So you'll be buying a 3DS, or already have one. It was already confirmed it's a 3DS title.

I think it's because Capcom operates with MH primarily on what sells in Japan, and what sells in Japan alone. They aren't concerned enough to multiport just for mass market appeal like Namco and From were with Dark Souls.

Monster Hunter is a huge franchise because of local multiplayer. Which is kind of anathema to going multi platform.

That too. No way in heck would the big three allow cross play online which would be the big draw outside of Japan, and local MP already is the big draw (in Japan).

Forever

Banned

It sells because it's a social phenomenon, splintering your userbase will damage that community.

MightyKAC

In order to accurately answer this question we would first need to know why Capcom, as a long-standing video games development company and global giant in the gaming industry, is so fucking retarded.

It's been on 3 different platforms already though.

But notice it's ONLY on that platform they choose for that game at the time. The Monhun community migrates to the console that has it. He meant having multiple communities on multiple consoles for the same game, like what happens with games like Dark Souls/CoD/BF. Since again the big three would laugh at Capcom for the notion of online across all platforms and they don't want to splinter their community they likely keep it to one console/handheld.

But notice it's ONLY on that platform they choose for that game at the time. The Monhun community migrates to the console that has it. He meant having multiple communities on multiple consoles for the same game, like what happens with games like Dark Souls/CoD/BF. Since again the big three would laugh at Capcom for the notion of online across all platforms and they don't want to splinter their community they likely keep it to one console/handheld.

Wow Capcom cares more about their community than sales.

yea right

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around this ideal. If that was the case why isnt Street Fighter only on one platform or just in arcades for community integrity?

yea right

The community in that game IS the sales. If they piss off the crazy dudes that stand in lines for two days to play their games all their left with is the rest of us...I don't think they want that. XD

And to answer the edited part of your post, not all games are like this obviously. But some titles aren't worth multiplatforming when the people you want to buy it will simply get the console you chose to make it on. Japanese Monhun fans are those people.

Very curious to see MH4. I wonder if the gameplay will be as drastically different as in the reveal trailer.

As am I, I'm hyped for it honestly provided they do what they should be doing and add online play for those non-Japanese folks.

Erethian

yea right

I don't think it's out of any sense of altruism or regard for the community; keeping the community on one platform is better for sales because of the nature of the game.

A big part of the success of the franchise is peer-pressure, seeing your friends playing the game together and then wanting to get in on the action yourself. Which is better facilitated when you don't have to worry about what version of the game you bought or whether you have the right system. It's a lot like an MMO in that sense.

It's also why, even though the Wii got a Monster Hunter the series remained by and large a PSP-exclusive franchise this generation.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hah!

:(

Capcom's localization efforts, especially on handhelds lately have been laughable. Still bitter about Last Ranker and Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

I tell myself MH3G didn't come over only because of lack of online. Surely 4 will change this and they'll bring it over. Right? ;_;

Forever

Banned
Where can I see this?
Here.

Looks like a typical bad Japanese game. Clunky, dated, low res, and with a horrible UI.

it looks like a bad Dreamcast launch game. I know GAF get a J-boner for this kind of crap, but I really don't see the appeal.

If there was made by a western developer everyone would shit all over it, but since it comes from Japan it suddenly gets a pass.
ok then. Tell me what is compelling about this:

cUjv4.jpg

The UI that takes up a third of a screen and is composed of ten different aspects? The complete lack of compelling textures? The one crappy enemy on screen? The terrible texture work? Seriously, from that screenshot what makes this anything more than a third rate effort for a second rate publisher? What makes THIS compel you to want to spend $40?
That logic would apply to everyone talking about any game not released. So by your logic people can say a game looks good without playing it but I can't say it looks bad without having played it as well?

I've never eaten dog shit but I can pretty much tell you that I probably wouldn't enjoy it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right everyone, if Monster Hunter 4 is revealed today and is only for the 3DS, please put all future Monster Hunter 4 platform related discussions in either A.) a thread dedicated to the top called something like "What other platforms do you feel Monster Hunter 4 should go to and why?" or B.) a sales-age thread.

Since we will have actual details now, it would nice to let people discuss them without the platform taking up half the thread.

Forever

Banned
All right everyone, if Monster Hunter 4 is revealed today and is only for the 3DS, please put all future Monster Hunter 4 platform related discussions in either A.) a thread dedicated to the top called something like "What other platforms do you feel Monster Hunter 4 should go to and why?" or B.) a sales-age thread.

Since we will have actual details now, it would nice to let people discuss them without the platform taking up half the thread.

It was revealed last September though...

Oh God, LOL. He is port begging although clearly he has never played a Monster Hunter game before.

Edit: Suddenly I'm getting a lot of hype out of this. When is the event occurring?

Boney

Banned

didn't you say the exact same thing between the mh4 announcement and the vita conference?

Takao

Banned
At this point there's certainly no sense in Capcom making a Vita version of MH4. However, I have to wonder if the Portable series truly is dead. While it hinders the community building aspect of the franchise to have multiplatform versions of the same game, I have to wonder what would happen if each platform had a different game? It doesn't really matter though, since the damage has been done.

LiK

If its for Vita, feel free to cry tears of joy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
didn't you say the exact same thing between the mh4 announcement and the vita conference?

Admittedly I don't really follow Monster Hunter, and neither do any of the other mods to my knowledge (well Kev plays it but I don't know if he reads the threads), so I was hoping people would PM me examples of blatant port begging.

At this point, since no one did, I'll actually read the next two threads and excise the discussion of other platforms.

At this point there's certainly no sense in Capcom making a Vita version of MH4. However, I have to wonder if the Portable series truly is dead. While it hinders the community building aspect of the franchise to have multiplatform versions of the same game, I have to wonder what would happen if each platform had a different game? It doesn't really matter though, since the damage has been done.

Be prepared for the HD series to take center stage now. Monster Hunter 4 HD for PS3/Wii U and Monster Hunter 4G for 3DS later on.

jimmypython

bring it on CAPCPCOM!!!

MH4, coming with 3DSLL and bundled with the LL stick this year!!!....

I can see this. With the best MH games (the console series) appearing on a handheld, there really is no point of continuing the portable series. Although MHP games share monsters/maps/weapons/skills with the console entries, they are nowhere near as good as MHdos/tri/triG.

just to name a few:
- farm system is just boring and repetitive;
- mission structure/layout is simple and showing no sense of progression whatsoever;
- difficulty level is not there.

Ratrat

So the announcements/live feed are on 7/1. I'm guessing we get nothing MH related today.

Edit: oh wait it is today. 14:30!!! Hype.

Takao

Banned
One thing that confused me about Monster Hunter on PSP is that Capcom never did the Pokemon approach of 2 different releases. Like you'd have one version that uses cats, and the other version the pigs as your aids with different mascot creatures and stuff. I thought maybe Sony prevented them from doing that, but Scamco and Level-5 are releasing multiple flavours of the Gundam AGE PSP game, and it's not like Capcom's adverse to doing this tactic as the MegaMan Battle Network, and Star Force games show.

Be prepared for the HD series to take center stage now. Monster Hunter 4 HD for PS3/Wii U and Monster Hunter 4G for 3DS later on.

You know, if they're making HD games that certainly makes a Vita game a tonne easier to harvest content from. ;)

But I fully expect MH4 to simply be talked in more detail for ... 3DS.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So the announcements/live feed are on 7/1. I'm guessing we get nothing MH related today.
There will be news today too, we just won't get to see it, only hear from those attending (well, maybe they can sneak pics?).

Boney

Banned
Admittedly I don't really follow Monster Hunter, and neither do any of the other mods to my knowledge (well Kev plays it but I don't know if he reads the threads), so I was hoping people would PM me examples of blatant port begging.

At this point, since no one did, I'll actually read the next two threads and excise the discussion of other platforms.

Only one thread got really ugly last year, but most of the time it's not without bad intentions so it's not annoying.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What are the chances of a MH3G stateside release announcement from a conference/event like this? I'm growing impatient.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Only one thread got really ugly last year, but most of the time it's not without bad intentions so it's not annoying.

I think you put too many not's in there?

If you're saying the Monster Hunter community would like to leave this discussion in the threads, then I can leave it there. I thought there were complaints though, but I could be wrong.

What are the chances of a MH3G stateside release announcement from a conference/event like this? I'm growing impatient.
About 1-2%.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You know, if they're making HD games that certainly makes a Vita game a tonne easier to harvest content from. ;)
Assuming that hypothetical HD game would actually be made primarily for the home consoles, no, it wouldn't make it easier, why would you think down-ports from more powerful systems (no sir, the Vita isn't that close to the HD twins - or triplets soon - even if some companies are holding the PS3 back by doing multi platform games with Vita just cos there are some tools for that, which doesn't mean they're close, just as DS and Wii weren't close just because Square made a multiplatform engine/game for that with Crystal Chronicles) are easier than up-ports from weaker systems? Whether the former is more desired for some like you or not doesn't mean shit to Capcom, they've made Wii/PS3 multi platform games before and couldn't care less that the PS3 version was held back visually for the game to be able to be ported down to the Wii faithfully without insane compromises. They're even developing a 3DS/PS3 game now, even. Which doesn't mean they wouldn't do what you want, but it's certainly not easier.

Edit: forgot their PSP/PS3 game too, lol.

I'm not confident, after all this is a JP-focused event.

Isn't there a Japan Expo or Comic-Con coming up? I think Tatsunoko was announced at a Comic-Con.

I wasn't on Gaf last year when both Monster Hunter 3G and MH4 were unveiled for the 3DS on the summer conference, were there good meltdowns?

Takao

Banned
If Sony is smart they should moneyhat Capcom for MH4 to save the Vita.

Given Sony's money position, do you think Nintendo couldn't offer a bigger hat? ;)

It doesn't make it easier, why would you think down-ports (no sir, the Vita isn't that close to the HD twins - or triplets now - even if some companies are holding the PS3 back by doing multi platform games with Vita) are easier than up-ports? Whether the former is more desired for some like you or not doesn't mean shit to Capcom, they've made Wii/PS3 multi platform games before...

Fair enough. It would help any potential Vita game stand above the 3DS games though, as it would look considerably better. Or at least I would hope so...

I'm not confident, after all this is a JP-focused event.

Isn't there a Japan Expo or Comic-Con coming up? I think Tatsunoko was announced at a Comic-Con.

Does Monster Hunter seem like the series to announce at Comic Con? There's a Monster Hunter manga that was released in the US, but uh... I've got nothing there. As for Japan Expo, that's in France (IIRC) and I don't believe Capcom's ever had a big presence there.

Top Bottom