• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoons you loved as a child that were actually s***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moppet13

cast.jpg
This show was never good. Same with Pokemon. However Rockos Modern Life was awesome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Have to go with Pokemon. Yu-Gi-Oh was bad at first but Battle City was pretty cool, and the final season was actually fantastic and delivered. Reminded me of Sailor Moon, how it went from this generic kids series (in YGO's case, shonen, in SM's, magical girl) at the start to quite dark and harrowing in the final season.

A Pup named Scooby Doo was the high point of the franchise.

Someone hasn't seen the newest series, Mystery Incorporated. Easily the best and quintessential Scooby cartoon of all time.

Which I can't blame you for I suppose, second season was supposed to debut last night but Cartoon Network just quietly shuffled it off the schedule for reasons unknown. >:|

Also I guess you can blame me, I was supposed to post the OT for that last night. >.>

Shame Pup was canned too early. Wish CN remade it instead of the new one :(

Blasphemy. For me it's:

Mystery Inc > A Pup Named > 13 Ghosts > Where Are You >>> everything else

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Used to watch Iron Man and X-men but even back then I didn't like Spider-man. A lot of the 90s Marvel cartoons are horrible.

My sons are loving this on Netflix right now. I'm not going to ruin it for em.

But Spectacular Spider-man is superior in every way!

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
TRANSFORMERS.jpg

That's right. DO NOT go back and rewatch the original animated Transformers. Instead, just enjoy the nostalgia movies in your head. They are better.

duke1.jpg

GI Joe was also not actually good.

mrt2.jpg

I watched Mr. T every week... for some reason.

title.jpg

The entire DC lineup made dog-stupid and laughable in one convenient children's show. And the sidekicks, ugh... Amazing that the Wonder twins were actually an improvement over Wendy and Marvin. Show got better, actually kind of serious, in its last two season with the introduction of Darkseid. But all that early stuff is pure garbage.

spider-man-and-his-amazing-friends.jpg

To keep things fair, Marvel has put out a lot of trashy Spider Man shows. There is, of course, the legendarily bad one. This one came after. I was hot for Firestar. I wanted to be Iceman. I was an idiot. This show is garbage.

NON-CARTOON HONORABLE MENTION:

6a00e55367ca648834016760bda22b970b-450wi

This is the show I watched as a kid that has held up the worst of all. Please do not go back and rewatch if you have fond memories of this show.

Utako

Banned
aku.jpg

Ugh.

It's OK kids, they're all robots, but we're making like they aren't! Our show suffers from an unendurable identity crisis!

Great art and direction, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cubix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PJsIqdqMQA
Yup.

Can't say I've rewatched Kablam to tell whether or not its held up today ... I remember it fondly though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGEHR4c3GJE

I believe Kablam is still great, for the most part, some of the sketches aren't that great.

Oh man, Cubix. I can't believe I convinced myself I was into that. Thankfully I only lasted like two weeks.
KuGsj.gif
Reminds me I was also into The Mummy cartoon. Haven't seen it in years so I have no idea if it holds up or not.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AwZeGOR1PsE/TlJrk3c2T3I/AAAAAAAAASA/c_vOswYCJgM/s1600/aku.jpg[IMG]

Ugh.

It's OK kids, they're all robots, but we're making like they aren't! Our show suffers from an unendurable identity crisis!

Great art and direction, though.[/QUOTE]I don't think you understand what "s***" actually means.

mantidor

All of the Disney Afternoon classic shows were great and NOT shit.

Well, okay... I take that back. Some of them were shit. Late seasons of DuckTales, Gummi Bears and Gargoyles (think the SatAM run) were all crap. Bonkers! was never good.

But everything else was gold.

This is wrong. Unless we saw very different Gargoyles. The show was simply amazing, and I rewatched it recently and it holds up pretty well.

This thread makes me feel old.

I'm still wrapping my mind around the fact that freaking Pokemon is already someones else childhood show.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I remember also liking Transformers Armada for a bit, but I knew it isn't really isn't that good.

I remember loving X-Men Evolution and from a couple eps I've seen while channel flipping recently, it still holds up pretty well. Only thing that annoyed me is that it never had a proper finale. Xavier has this whole big vision about Phoenix but it never happens cause the show got cancelled. Lame.

Mr_Zombie

Spider man TAS's voice acting is so bad, it somehow loops around back to awesome for me.

Wow, thank god we have a dubbed version here which was quite god (although still cheesy). The original voices really sound awful.
But beside the cheesy writing and technical issues (awful 3D, horrible framerate) I think the show is still enjoyable, mainly due to its story arcs.

A Pup named Scooby Doo was the high point of the franchise.

The recent animated movies are good too. They play with the formula and are fully aware of all the cliches and stupidity of the old shows. Also, the animation is finally decent ;).

And the Mystery Incorporated is also really well done. It's a little bit more serious with even a bit of drama.

Yep, either that or The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo.

Nope, everything that involves Scrappy Doo is a fail no matter what. That character was awful.

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/TRANSFORMERS.jpg

I rewatched the pilot on Netflix recently. G1 is still the best Transformers you can get for money.
[/QUOTE]
I tried to watch season 1 and the movie and got bored. Same with GI Joe--i tried to watch the first tv movie and couldn't get through it.

On the other hand I also find Robotech too boring to sit through now. I have all the old dvd box sets; found them second hand for real cheap. But they sit unwatched. I don't remember there being so much talking. Surprised I watched this religiously as a kid.

Gargoyles...

gargoyles.jpg

Beast Wars...

300px-Beastwarsmaxgroup.jpg

Hey Arnold!...

200px-HeyArnold!.jpg

...you know what? The more shows from my childhood I re-watch, the more I realize they all get better with age. Perhaps I just had better taste than you chumps.

You misspelled Beast Wars.
I was too old to watch Beast Wars, or might have been in college with no tv, and I figure with no nostalgia value it isn't worth watching now.

So far the only thing that I've enjoyed as an adult that use characters from the 1980s are the Transformers/GI Joe comics. I wouldn't mind seeing that style turned into a cartoon now.

Someone needs to make more cartoons like GI Joe Resolute.

I was too old to watch Beast Wars, or might have been in college with no tv, and I figure with no nostalgia value it isn't worth watching now.

So far the only thing that I've enjoyed as an adult that use characters from the 1980s are the Transformers/GI Joe comics. I wouldn't mind seeing that style turned into a cartoon now.

Someone needs to make more cartoons like GI Joe Resolute.

You'd be wrong. You're doing yourself a disservice by skipping the best series in the franchise.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mighty Ducks
Tailspin
Double Dragon
Gforce
Batman and Superman crossover series
Static Shock
Ghostbusters extreme
Slimer and the ghostbusters
Bionic 6
Mask
Blasphemy. I went back and rewatched it a couple years ago, it still holds up very well (despite the bizarre ass cliffhanger caused by its cancellation)

Did you watch it as a kid or an adult the first time around?

As a kid I appreciated it for the robot-animals, fight scenes, and tie-in toys. As an adult, I appreciated it for its characters, dialogue, and well-written storylines. "Code of Hero" still makes me shed a tear to this day. Watching it as an adult for the first time might even lead to an increased appreciation of it, once you're free from trying to reconcile what your watching with your memories of it. I couldn't recommend this series enough.

Gargoyles...

gargoyles.jpg

Beast Wars...

300px-Beastwarsmaxgroup.jpg

Hey Arnold!...

200px-HeyArnold!.jpg

...you know what? The more shows from my childhood I re-watch, the more I realize they all get better with age. Perhaps I just had better taste than you chumps.
Man I wanted to kill you when I saw Hey Arnold until i read the last sentence.

gibut

Wasn't a cartoon, but does anyone remember Starship Troopers: Roughnecks Saga? CGI was great back then but tough to watch now a days.

Tried watching Reboot again recently its just so cheesy.

krzy123

I ended up rewatching the entire Transformers series a couple of years ago, still enjoyed it despite the lolworthy moments. The quality of the animation improves some by the last season, yeah the writing is mostly awful though.

Dyno

aku.jpg

Ugh.

Sir you are filled with madness and despair.

Samurai Jack was all awesome. Some episodes moved me to tears. Manly tears but tears none the less.

TRANSFORMERS.jpg

I rewatched the pilot on Netflix recently.

?????????? WHAT????

When did they add G1 TF??

EDIT: A couple of weeks ago, evidently!

http://www.seibertron.com/transform...es-now-up-on-netflix-instant-streaming/24650/

TRANSFORMERS G1 THE COMPLETE SERIES NOW UP ON NETFLIX INSTANT STREAMING

Monday, April 23rd, 2012 2:10PM CDT

Category: Cartoon News
Posted by: LOST Cybertronian Views: 17,089
Click here to discuss this topic!

ShareThis
We reported earlier that Hasbro signed a multi year deal to stream many of its shows on Netflix.

First came Transformers Prime, now Transformers Generation 1 the complete series is now available to stream from Netflix.

According to the deal Transformers: Beast Wars is still to come.
Credit(s): Primeultimus

Kick ass! Anyone who plans to ride this wave of nostalgia, read the details after watching each episode on one of the best fan wikis on the entire internet: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/More_than_Meets_the_Eye,_Part_1

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
TRANSFORMERS.jpg

I rewatched the pilot on Netflix recently. G1 is still the best Transformers you can get for money.

Lunacy. As a hardcore Transformers fan from back in the G1 day, Beast Wars, Transformers Animated and Transformers Prime are all better shows than G1 at its best. The Furman run on the G1 Marvel Comics and the current ongoing IDW series (RiD and MtMtE) are also better than the G1 cartoon ever was.

Rewatching the G1 cartoon is legitimately embarrassing. I think a lot of people conflate the markedly superior animation and direction of the first third of the 1986 animated movie with the regular show.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I disagree. Hey Arnold really branched out in later seasons, explored different characters and their backstories, and really fleshed out everyone's character. Show was great beginning to end.

I dunno - I guess I never liked messiah Arnold. Granted some of the best episodes came in the later lifespan of the show.

legend166

Lunacy. As a hardcore Transformers fan from back in the G1 day, Beast Wars, Transformers Animated and Transformers Prime are all better shows than G1 at its best. The Furman run on the G1 Marvel Comics and the current ongoing IDW series (RiD and MtMtE) are also better than the G1 cartoon ever was.

Rewatching the G1 cartoon is legitimately embarrassing. I think a lot of people conflate the markedly superior animation and direction of the first third of the 1986 animated movie with the regular show.

Seriously the animation is terrible. The colouring especially. Truly bad.

Also, Transformers just appear and disappear out of nowhere all the time. The show makes no sense.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, sadly there's too much nostalgia for G1 that no matter how good a new series is (Beast Wars, Animated), it'd be shun.

Similar example: Power Rangers. MMPR is shit but it's nostalgia-ridden. So many seasons have surpassed it (Dino Thunder, Ninja Storm, RPM) but it keeps to be the top. The only thing it has over the others is the sixth ranger arc - but even then it's assuming that all sixth rangers must be evil or bullshit like that.

Verelios

Hellz naw, Digimon was and is awesome, bar some of the acting. The story arc for that series and Tamers were great.

At least someone here speaks sense. Thank you kind sir.

I feel ashamed for watching fox-5 when I was a kid. Oh, and TMNT...I actually have most of the series on tapes from when I was a kid. I was kind of bored so I went back to watch them a couple weeks ago.

Did not age well. At all. Forget Kraang and his shit, but the hover cars, back to the future references and plain characterization - god, Michelangelo was a grating little shit- of characters like Shredder (who had no motives at all that made sense other than 'I'm fucking your shit up, just because') were just too much to handle. I could take Splinter, because his was more fourth-wall breaking fun, but the rest? Hell no, and their freaky pudgy muscular bodies.

Hellz naw, Digimon was and is awesome, bar some of the acting. The story arc for that series and Tamers were great.

This man knows whats up. I have no trouble rewatching that show (the first few season anyways).

Tried watching past season 3.......tried many times. The first few episodes of 4/5 bothered me so much I may never watch any of the later seasons.

aku.jpg

Ugh.

You do know this was done on purpose right? They wanted to give things real tissue and blood, but when creators showed it to Cartoon Network they got turned down. It mostly had to do with a fear of the show getting shut down by the ratings board so they did the next best thing they could and made them robots.

My point is Samurai Jack was and still is awesome.

Boss Doggie

To those Digimon people, go watch Digimon Xros Wars.

It's fucking awesome and fresh!

At least someone here speaks sense. Thank you kind sir.

I feel ashamed for watching fox-5 when I was a kid. Oh, and TMNT...I actually have most of the series on tapes from when I was a kid. I was kind of bored so I went back to watch them a couple weeks ago.

Did not age well. At all. Forget Kraang and his shit, but the hover cars, back to the future references and plain characterization - god, Michelangelo was a grating little shit- of characters like Shredder (who had no motives at all that made sense other than 'I'm fucking your shit up, just because') were just too much to handle. I could take Splinter, because his was more fourth-wall breaking fun, but the rest? Hell no, and their freaky pudgy muscular bodies.

Go watch TMNT 2003. Really good show.

CorvoSol

Sir you are filled with madness and despair.

Samurai Jack was all awesome. Some episodes moved me to tears. Manly tears but tears none the less.

Seriously. Samurai Jack was moving, man. Some episodes didn't even have dialogue, but were just fight scenes. AMAZING FIGHT SCENES.

Never forget the Ninja vs Samurai episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom