• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Illusion remake being deslisted?

Camjo-Z

Reminder that this game has a great Grant Kirkhope soundtrack if the fact that it's an all-around solid 2D/3D platformer doesn't appeal enough to you.

Z..

They key it's giving me is incomplete... The nail'd key worked fine, the CoI one is clearly incomplete.

halfbeast

Banned
Well, unless I'm missing another one, this is now a problem for the first delisted PS+ game.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/14/playstation-plus-castle-of-illusion-free-for-members/

This game was given out on PS+ two years ago. My PS+ doesn't expire for many months.

That means I'm unlikely to be able to purchase it on the PSN, which means that the game is essentially held HOSTAGE by the PS+ subscription.

Sony needs to fucking fix this. They're literally losing money.

Yup. This is fucking inexcusable

ps+ freebie also came with the original genesis port. which was pre-order only and can't be bought. :D

you could buy it on another account. but let's not kid ourselves, if it weren't for the news, nobody would've played it anyway.

OmegaDL50

I just got this an accidentally made agift link for the game.....clicked it and all I see in the box is this long string of code but no steam key :S

Same problem here as well. I bought the game, just a long string of code and no proper key.

I contacted Indiegala support in regards to this so hopefully if enough people sent a request it won't be ignored.

Delisting always suck.

Now for Capcom to remake the Mickey Mouse game of my childhood and all around better option: Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse.

God I love that game.

Delisting is such a stupid thing. The Castle of Illusion remake is very sweet. Its very pretty, has nice music and you have Sully from the Uncharted series narrating. Since it is a remake of the Genesis game its super short but its a very pleasant 2 or 3 hour ride. If you liked the original this remake will put a smile on your face for sure. Buy it!

It would have been great if the devs could have done a remake of World of Illusion and Quackshot. <sigh> :(

Tapejara

Bought the game on PSN day one and loved it. Glad I still have it tied to my account. Hope Disney and SEGA are able to rerelease it down the line.

I wish the Steam version was on sale. Might just have to bite the bullet on that. Hopefully indiegala gets their issues sorted out so I can pick it up.

bman94

Glad I saw this thread, I would have been mad as hell if I missed out on this. I'm still mad I can't buy Marvel Vs Capcom on Xbox 360.

Gbraga

Delisting always suck.

Now for Capcom to remake the Mickey Mouse game of my childhood and all around better option: Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse.

God I love that game.

YESSSSSSSS

Please.

HD Collection or maybe even a Magical Quest 4, that would be the greatest thing in the world.

G0523

Sega just has a terrible track record when it comes to delistings, don't they? First Outrun Online Arcade, then Afterburner Climax, now this. If only they released these games physically so they wouldn't be spending their development money on games that will eventually be delisted.

BasilZero

Oh wow - thanks for the news!

Had this wishlisted and was planning to eventually buy it.

Sad that it is being delisted.

Went ahead and bought it from humble store.

Will likely play it sooner rather than later.

w11WbIE.png

I get that you are mad, but the Ducktales remake (I own it) feels like a weird Flash remake to me.

I doubt it wouldnt get renewed

it's a good game. certainly a lot better than that crap new Ducktales released around the same time

It's a good remake IMO. Soundtrack is good and you can have Sully narrate the game's story.

First game my wife and I played on PS3 and we enjoyed it quite a bit.

Reminder that this game has a great Grant Kirkhope soundtrack if the fact that it's an all-around solid 2D/3D platformer doesn't appeal enough to you.

I... LOVED it, wish it would come to PS4 instead of being de-listed... T_T

To all that enjoyed the game, I have a couple questions. I watched some guy playing it some time ago, all the way to the end, and it seemed to me that the unskippable cutscenes really killed the game, especially the last boss. So, I wanted to know if that didn't bother you guys, or if the game was patched to allow skipping them.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll throw out there that this was a pretty good little platformer. I enjoyed my time spent playing it.

Pixieking

Banned
Indiegala buyers!

About an hour after I bought it on Indiegala, and emailed them about the incomplete key, they've corrected the error. People might want to check their Profile pages. :)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I get that you are mad, but the Ducktales remake (I own it) feels like a weird Flash remake to me.

I can see where you would be coming from given the style they used for some of the sprites, but I tend to think that the overall artwork worked pretty well... especially the backgrounds which I expected to work a lot worse than they did...

finley83

Banned
Thanks for the heads up on this. Have bought in case my son wants to play it one day!

Also I picked up from IndieGala - code wasn't showing up at first but after popping them an email it seems to have been fixed within a few hours. Can't complain at two games for £1.74!

Camjo-Z

To all that enjoyed the game, I have a couple questions. I watched some guy playing it some time ago, all the way to the end, and it seemed to me that the unskippable cutscenes really killed the game, especially the last boss. So, I wanted to know if that didn't bother you guys, or if the game was patched to allow skipping them.

I didn't even remember it had those until you mentioned it, so I guess it wasn't that big of a deal to me when I played it. I do remember the last boss being annoying, so that's probably why.

eXistor

Pretty fun game, doesn't quite replace the original, but it's a good remake at any rate. I'd definitely pick it up if you're still on the fence, especially if it's gonna be delisted.

Blues1990

I tried it, and I didn't like it. Love the soundtrack, but it wasn't enough for the to continue playing the Castle of Illusion remake. I had a blast with WayForward's Ducktales: Remastered, though.

Paz

This game made me seriously depressed and seeing it show up on various stores would remind me of that, kinda glad it's going away. It'll be the first game I worked on that people can no longer get which is kinda interesting, the ugly side of digital distribution.

I'm glad at least some people seem to have enjoyed it though.

Tizoc

Sega just has a terrible track record when it comes to delistings, don't they? First Outrun Online Arcade, then Afterburner Climax, now this. If only they released these games physically so they wouldn't be spending their development money on games that will eventually be delisted.
Retail is costly and best case scenario would be a limited print run
Such games are too niche for sega to make retail releases

Hobbun

So was this digital only?

Would just rather buy the physical, if there is one.

Edit: I guess there isn't. A shame. I guess for less than $4 it can't hurt to purchase.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
FWIW, Castle of Illusion has just been made backwards compatible on Xbox One, so if you want to grab it there, better do it quick.

Top Bottom