• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Illusion remake being deslisted?

Het_Nkik

I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶r̶a̶ ̶S̶t̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶B̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶H̶u̶m̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶I̶n̶d̶i̶e̶G̶a̶l̶a̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶I̶n̶d̶i̶e̶G̶a̶l̶a̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶r̶a̶.̶

Gone!

Zomba13

I have an extra Steam code if anyone wants it. Bought it from Humble after the IndieGala messed up code thing. And now IndieGala has fixed the code so I have an extra.

If you still have the code I'd like it. I've got it for free as part of the Amazon Underground app thing but my phone isn't good enough to play it well and I can't play it on my tv and don't have a controller thing hooked up to it.

FoneBone

It's totally worth a few bucks before it gets delisted, but whoever thought unskippable cutscenes before every boss fight were a good idea needs to get slapped.

kevin1025

Banned
I played it on PS3 a couple of years back. Decided to pick it up off the Humble Store, since, with the 10% monthly discount, it came out to $2.71 CDN!

I didn't even remember it had those until you mentioned it, so I guess it wasn't that big of a deal to me when I played it. I do remember the last boss being annoying, so that's probably why.

I see. It looks like a decent game, but the unskippable cutscenes really kill my will to try it. It's a shame.

G0523

Retail is costly and best case scenario would be a limited print run
Such games are too niche for Sega to make retail releases

True. Then again, anything that isn't Sonic is too expensive for Sega to make a retail release.

already had this on Steam, but I double dipped on Xbox 360 just because. don't want another situation where I regret it (like not buying OutRun for Steam)

Figured I should jump on this before it's delisted, then realised I already own (and have finished) it on Steam. So, I guess I'm sorted.

My playtime is 107 minutes, and from memory it's not only short, but quite easy.

Mask

Bleh, had to contact Indie Gala twice about my key now, first it was cut off and now it's already redeemed...

Hopefully they fix it quickly!

Sad to see this getting delisted, especially when the studio that developed the remake got closed shortly before release. Bought it when it came out on PSN (they were offering the original version ported by M2 as a freebie for pre-ordering) and enjoyed it, now I bought the PC version off indie gala...though I did have that issue with the code, it was fixed this morning.

Ocaso

This game made me seriously depressed and seeing it show up on various stores would remind me of that, kinda glad it's going away. It'll be the first game I worked on that people can no longer get which is kinda interesting, the ugly side of digital distribution.

I'm glad at least some people seem to have enjoyed it though.

Would be interested to hear why. I had no real connection to the Genesis original and thought this remake stood on its own as a solid platformer, not to mention that it was damn gorgeous. I own it on PS3 but bought it on PC to be sure I had it at 60 fps.

Thanks for the heads up OP, bought it. Disney is weird company with their constant de-listings of digital games that doesn't need any shelf space.

Just bought it, I dont even know how badly i want to play this, but a game being removed from the market place completley like that makes me mad so I bought it out of spite.

Would be interested to hear why. I had no real connection to the Genesis original and thought this remake stood on its own as a solid platformer, not to mention that it was damn gorgeous. I own it on PS3 but bought it on PC to be sure I had it at 60 fps.

Damn, console versions aren't 60fps? Guess I'll play this on Steam then.

Tapejara

Fixed code from Indie Gala was already redeemed on steam by another user. Last time I'm buying from them.

Bleh, had to contact Indie Gala twice about my key now, first it was cut off and now it's already redeemed...

Hopefully they fix it quickly!

WTF. I haven't got a chance to redeem my code yet because my computer is being repaired. Hopefully it won't be taken when I get it back tomorrow.

Might just repurchase on Humble :/.

statham

really wish it was on sale on 360/XBO, but I'm still going to get it. My 4 y/o will enjoy watching me play.

It's totally worth a few bucks before it gets delisted, but whoever thought unskippable cutscenes before every boss fight were a good idea needs to get slapped.

I felt that this was a minor issue compared to the super floaty controls, weird and imprecise jumping in 3D (in the 360 version I have, at least) and the removal of the butt stomp. I made it up to the candy level and couldn't ask myself if the majority of the developers really played the original game as opposed to like watching videos of it. Oh well. If anyone's on the fence, it's a pretty platformer with high production values, but don't expect it to live up to the original's beautifully smooth gameplay.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

EBreda

I also bought on Ps3 because of the added port of the original Genesis game.

I found it pretty good actually. Both the remake and the Sega port.

I would like to have it in my Xbox for backcompat sake, but it's still 15 bucks while all the other versions are on sale. Weird.

I felt that this was a minor issue compared to the super floaty controls, weird and imprecise jumping in 3D (in the 360 version I have, at least) and the removal of the butt stomp. I made it up to the candy level and couldn't ask myself if the majority of the developers really played the original game as opposed to like watching videos of it. Oh well. If anyone's on the fence, it's a pretty platformer with high production values, but don't expect it to live up to the original's beautifully smooth gameplay.

There's... There's no butt stomp? What is this, Mario?

Man, it looks like it's on sale everywhere other than the place I want it (Xbox)?! >_<

I guess I can get it on Steam just to 'have it', $3NZ is better than $20NZ.

I fired up the ps3 for the first time in probably over a year only to see I had already downloaded it back when it was on PS+. Good to go. I just wish World of Illusion got the port treatment, oh well.

I fired up the ps3 for the first time in probably over a year only to see I had already downloaded it back when it was on PS+. Good to go. I just wish World of Illusion got the port treatment, oh well.

Shit, I forgot I don't really own this. My PS+ will expire in a year and I can't keep renewing it given the current output. I guess I'll buy it on Steam to have it permanently.

Tizoc

True. Then again, anything that isn't Sonic is too expensive for Sega to make a retail release.

Uh they made retail releases for various of their franchises or titles that they own the IP for mate;
Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku, Hatsune Miku, 7th Dragon 3DS
To name a few.

I have the Genesis original, but I haven't bought this anywhere. I downloaded the Xbox 360 trial a bit ago, and it seems real nice. I checked the price on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Steam, and it shows up as $14.99 for me on all three. I see that it's $2.24 on Humble Bundle, so I might get it there, though my preference would be for the Xbox 360 version, since I'm not a fan of playing games on PC (I've had too many problems, plus it's not great if other people want to play, too). Oh, well. I'm broke, so...yeah.

Edit: Ah, fuck it, just got the Xbox 360 version anyway.

Imagine being this clueless

The "By far" comment is what i disagree with. SMS version is really good, but acting like it beats the Genesis version by a country mile is boo-worthy

Really? Why? I generally assume SMS games with the same name as Genesis games are inferior ports. It's always cool to find one where that's not the case.

It follows the same story and generally the same level ideas, but it actually plays pretty differently. Mainly, Mickey can pick up and throw blocks, which is a mechanic the game is built around. Its not really a port, since they re-designed it to work better on the Master System.

Krejlooc

Banned
but acting like it beats the Genesis version by a country mile is boo-worthy

It absolutely beats the Genesis version by a country mile. Better controls, better mechanics, better level layouts, and better difficulty ramp. The only thing the Genesis version has going for it are naturally better graphics and music, but even then, for the hardware, the SMS versions are above competent.

ShowDog

Well I had it in my PlayStation cart for $3 yesterday and go to check out today and it's back to $15. Too bad for me.

Chitown B

I played the first 2 worlds and it just feels off despite how polished it looks and sounds.

Magical Quest this isnt.

My issue is the 3D-ness screws up the plaforming. I like it otherwise. But the controls are floaty and I'm never sure if I'm landing correctly on something.

Jordan117

I adore the original, but procrastinated on buying the remake because I couldn't decide between Xbox and PC version. (Same with Bastion!)

Which plays better for this, keyboard/mouse or gamepad? Any other big differences?

Santar

The SMS version is still the best Castle of Illusion, by far.

41236-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-sega-master-system.gif

Agreed 110%
The Master System game is far superior. It actually feels like Segas answer to Ducktales on the NES with Mickeys butt stomp and all the secret chests you find everywhere. I also always liked that Mickeys design in the SMS version is more like his early days.
One of my favorite games as a kid and I still wish the Master System version was the one that got the remake treatment.

687202-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-genesis-screenshot.gif

The Mega Drive/Genesis version just feels sloppy by comparison. Mickey looks far worse and the whole game just feels worse to actually play.

Yeah, I really wanted to see World of Illusion get ported over as well. I still play the original on occasion and have some amazing co-op memories with my brother.

Krejlooc

Banned
41236-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-sega-master-system.gif

Agreed 110%
The Master System game is far superior. It actually feels like Segas answer to Ducktales on the NES with Mickeys butt stomp and all the secret chests you find everywhere. I also always liked that Mickeys design in the SMS version is more like his early days.
One of my favorite games as a kid and I still wish the Master System version was the one that got the remake treatment.

687202-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-genesis-screenshot.gif

The Mega Drive/Genesis version just feels sloppy by comparison. Mickey looks far worse and the whole game just feels worse to actually play.

I don't think the genesis game is terrible or anything. Visually it's great, and the soundtrack that both games share is terrific. But it's a ho-hum platformer for the most part. I like it much better than World of Illusion, but considerably less than Quackshot.

None of those games compare to Castle of Illusion 8-bit or Land of Illusion, IMO. Those two games are among the best disney games on any platform. I like that some levels branched out into optional paths that usually yielded permanent health upgrades.

Lijik

I adore the original, but procrastinated on buying the remake because I couldn't decide between Xbox and PC version. (Same with Bastion!)

Which plays better for this, keyboard/mouse or gamepad? Any other big differences?

PC version runs at 60 fps while console versions run at 30 is the major difference.
Plays best with a gamepad like most platformers. Although I havent played it with a keyboard, im sure it might handle well enough for someone used to that. Its not a particularly fast paced game like Super Meat Boy or anything.

Top Bottom