• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character Changes on the Final Fantasy VII Remake (Not a Complaint Thread)

Ōkami

ComposedDangerousAssassinbug.gif

We finally got our first good look at the Final Fantasy VII remake on PS4 today, as it goes with remakes there tends to be some changes from the original release, obviously a trailer is not enough to go into an in depth comparison, however we did got a good glimpse of five characters in the game: Cloud, Barret, Jessie, Biggs and Wedge which you may remember are the crew that destroy the mako reactor on the opening of the game (which is also the portion of the game that the trailer shows.)

So just for fun I've been looking at the details from the trailer to try to point the character changes, now, as mentioned on the title this isn't really a complaint, just all in good fun.

For the sake of this I'll keep it to Barret, Jessie, Biggs and Wedge only, this is how they were supposed to look on the original release:

Take a good look at them.

Anyway, starting with Wedge.
He looks very faithful to the original, he's got the bandana, grenades and he's fat, seems on point.

Differences to note are the color of his pants as they're darkish gray instead of bright blue, also addition of knee caps, also Cloud looks very skinny.

The rest of the expendables crew here, Biggs and Jessie also look close to the original, note that Jessie's arm wear is very different from the original.

Much closer look, Biggs got an earing and a beard (did he had one in the original?) also Jessie got an extra piece of clothing on her chest.

Now the man with the big changes, Barret, here's the first good look at him.
I always suspected he'd get a big redesign for the remake, while not quite as drastic is way bigger than from the rest, first of all his Mr. T look seems gone for a more original feel; those glasses are, of course, the biggest addition as Barret didn't wore glasses on the orignal game, at all.
Noteworthy too is also the tattoo, it's completely different than the one in the original, in fact is the same one he got on the more drastic redesign for Advent Children.

Here's a better look at the rest of the body.
Once again, his arm gun or whatever is closer to the Advent Children redesign rather than the original one, apart from that his outfit is very close to the original, except the abs of steel, they seem gone, he's wearing a shirt now and that jacket seems to try to recreate the look of the abs, but not quite. There's also all those things on his pants.

That's all I got on character designs, but looking at the trailer there's other interesting things.
Note that health, at this point of the game it should be about half of what its there, so maybe they start with more health than on the original or on a higher level, that is assuming this is at the start of the game.

Interesting too that you can play as Barret, changing characters in combat sounds interesting.

Also this.
While Cloud has way more health than what he'd have in the original, he is inflicting and recieving about as much damage as he should, so he doesn't seem way overleveled, note that his MP is way lower than what it'll normally be.

Maybe he just has a lot for testing purposes but whatev.

So that's it, what other character design changes are expected for the future? Well for one, I'm expecting Tifa to get a breast reduction, and possibly a more radical outfit change, something closer to AC (note, what I'm expecting, not hoping), not really expecting much else from the rest of the crew.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Interesting notes!

Interesting too that you can play as Barret, changing characters in combat sounds interesting.
Regarding this, it doesn't actually seem like you're actually playing Barret in this particular clip (his movement seems way too robotic, the camera angle is off and there's no reticule like when you're playing as Cloud).

Interesting notes!

Regarding this, it doesn't actually seem like you're actually playing Barret in this particular clip (his movement seems way too robotic, the camera angle is off and there's no reticule like when you're playing as Cloud).

What about the clip where he's just firing his machine gun arm?

Krejlooc

Banned
It's funny that Barret's hair style follows the most popular hair styles for African Americans depending on the year each media was made in.

In 1997, the hightop fad was predominantly popular among African Americans, and barret had one then. Then, in the 2000's, corn rolls became more popular, and barret switched to that.

Now, the hightop fade has made a return in popularity among african american youth. I wonder if they returned to his high top fade because of that, or because they were going back to the original for inspiration. Because, as you noted, the rest of him is really pretty different.

Its crazy looking back, the designs for the minor characters were so simple. Now you can't be as simple with the minor characters' design.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Initial reaction:

Sunglasses WTF

Later realization:

Sunglasses > Mr. T

Wedge, Biggs and Jessie look extremely faithful to how I always imagined them as realistic people, very impressed with their designs.

Great notes.

McNum

The command menu is grey, which means the character is doing a special attack, if it's consistent with Cloud doing what may or may not be Braver earlier in the trailer. This would then be Big Shot.

And Barret's name is highlighted on the right, with it at the bottom and moved out. Look like he's the active character to me.

As someone who hadn't fully played the game (but played the beginning a few times), I was actually curious about the changes and similarities. Nice job.

A part of me wonders if Cloud looks so skinny on purpose, being that he's not actually a super-soldier. It can't be an accident, since he's clearly frailer than Zack has been portrayed in recent years.

Golnei

I like most of Barret's redesign, but I'm not convinced about the torso belts. They had to do something to deviate from the original; but that might not have been the best choice. Other than that; Biggs, Wedge and Jessie are fantastic reinterpretations, and Cloud looks...okay, I guess. He's probably the least impressive of all of them, which is sort of a surprise given how much attention must have been paid to his redesign - I wonder how many other concepts they went through.

Pompadour

Interesting notes!

Can't you form parties without Cloud and isn't there a section of the game where you can't use him your party? I imagine you'd have to be able to use other characters.

cj_iwakura

Barret is easily the highlight, he keeps getting better.

Also love Jessie and Biggs, couldn't believe I was seeing them again.

I can't WAIT to see the Shinra Board Meeting.

DeSolos

Barret's sunglasses kinda bother me, but I don't mind them that much.

I just hope he doesn't wear them all the time, or maybe that's an equipable accessory that is optional, and accessories in general will be visible.

Yeah, the designs are great. Nice write ups.

I'm not surprised by skinny Cloud really at all. Overall he looks really good and I like his art style.
Barret's redesign is quite impressive and they did a fantastic job with Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge like SolVanderlyn said bringing those minor character designs into bigger ones faithfully.

Can't wait to see Tifa's.

Ōkami;188093344 said:
So that's it, what other character design changes are expected for the future? Well for one, I'm expecting Tifa to get a breast reduction, and possibly a more radical outfit change, something closer to AC (note, what I'm expecting, not hoping), not really expecting much else from the rest of the crew.

Yup.

Hexa

I like the new Barret. He's like Blade but totally ripped now.
Reaaaaaaally want to see Tifa and Yuffie.

Slime

Banned
Biggs, Wedge and Jessie brought me back. Not feeling the tweaks to Barrett's design quite as much, but still pleasantly surprised by how faithfully this part of the story seems to have been rendered.

I wish the combat was more traditional, but after seeing this trailer I'm just excited to be going back to this world.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't expect any major changes to Tifa like other are thinking. Gonna be minor stuff like what we've seen so far.
I expect Tifa to look pretty much exactly like this.

3145367-tifa+lockhart+2.jpg

Scotia

Banned
I'm cool with Barret's redesign. Biggs, Wedge and Jessie really blew me away though. For such minor characters the attention to detail, and faithfulness to the OG designs, is fantastic to see. Looking forward to seeing the other characters.

HeeHo

I love how it was analyzed how much hp, mp, and attack Cloud should be doing at that point in the game. Barrett kinda reminds me of Blade a wee bit now.

Well, it also matches what Cloud looked like in FFVII CC.

Yeah, that goes to my point. People are taken aback because it's jarring to see his build in this hyper-realistic style, but it's consistent with the story.

But he's always been skinny

That's his artwork from the original game.

That's also a stylized depiction. Barret's not the mountain of meat that the original art presents him as:

Ff7-barret.png

They could have made Cloud a little bulkier and been plenty consistent with the original design, but they didn't. I think that's a cool and interesting choice.

Boke1879

I REALLY like Barret's design. They keep is bad ass stature but I feel they wanted to go away from the Mr. T comparison. Biggs, Wedge and Jessie look amazing. Cloud being a bit skinny absolutely fits. Especially knowing his origin.

McNum

I wonder what they'll do with the rest of the playable cast. Red XIII will likely look exactly like in Advent Children. Cait Sith will be very interesting to see, though they'll probably play him pretty straight.

I think, of the playables, I'm looking forward to Cid and Yuffie the most. Will Cid still be smoking all the time? And what do they do with Yuffie's giant glove-thing?

Of the non-playables, it's gotta be Bugenhagen. What the heck will he even look like, he's a flying old man with no legs or something in the original, isn't he? And the Choco/Mog summon, of course. Will it still go BOOOM! or what? Will it still be one of the best utility summon since it inflicts Stop on all enemies at a pretty cheap MP cost?

Barret looks so freakin' good. I love the black singlet! Jessie/Biggs/Wedge have been adapted really well, too. Skinny!Cloud does make sense story wise, but I have to admit I do find it a bit jarring. I wouldn't mind Skinny!Cloud if his head didn't look so huge in comparison to the width of his shoulders. I love his face/hair, though.

I imagine Tifa will probably be in line with her Dissidia model, which was a pretty faithful adaption to her original design. (This is a bit sacrilegious, but when I was a kid I always imagined that Tifa wore short-shorts, or was at least wearing little black lycra shorts underneath the mini-skirt. There was some hardcore gravity that kept that mini-skirt in place.)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I expect Tifa to look pretty much exactly like this.

3145367-tifa+lockhart+2.jpg

Yeah. She's basically gonna look like she did. Her art illustrations in G-bike basically say that they want to keep her as she was.

As for her chest size, i'm pretty sure they will keep that consistent with AC as well, so she'll still be pretty huge in that department, but not unrealistic like some of the original game's infamous CG scenes.

ackl

Of the non-playables, it's gotta be Bugenhagen. What the heck will he even look like, he's a flying old man with no legs or something in the original, isn't he? And the Choco/Mog summon, of course. Will it still go BOOOM! or what? Will it still be one of the best utility summon since it inflicts Stop on all enemies at a pretty cheap MP cost?

Those are very good questions.

Golnei

Will Cid still be smoking all the time?

Was he ever supposed to lack legs? I thought he was just sitting cross-legged on a floating orb thing.

tumblr_m6pjkb6V8K1rsjgcko1_250.gif

Also, in order to appropriately modernise the game, Cid will vape.

That's also a stylized depiction. Barret's not the mountain of meat that the original art presents him as:

Ff7-barret.png

They could have made Cloud a little bulkier and been plenty consistent with the original design, but they didn't. I think that's a cool and interesting choice.

I don't really think Cloud's body itself is really all that stylized. His body always looked pretty realistic. Barrett's art is the one that i'd describe as being stylized. Like you said, he's built like a mountain. His feet are even weirdly huge sorta like something out of Kingdom Hearts. So they were obviously going to have to scale him back if they ever went with upgraded visuals. We saw that with how he looked in Advent Children. Still muscular, but a much more realistic build than in the original game. Cloud's slight build is one that's been consistent in everything that he's been in.

Top Bottom