• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character Changes on the Final Fantasy VII Remake (Not a Complaint Thread)

Falk

that puzzling face
Honestly I'm expecting a turn based mod to be out within 5 years of release, and that possibility excites me to no end.

While the possibilities and extent of modding is pretty much proportional to how much interest in a game there is, that's far less likely than even e.g. a mod for XCOM that modifies the game to go back to terrain-modelled chance-to-hit and time-units rather than the two-step board-game-esque movement/turns that the game actually has.

The point of me bringing up this specific example of XCOM is that it had its fair share of naysayers who just wanted an updated version of the original game with its mechanics intact, (sounds familiar) the fact that there's a modding community for XCOM, and that despite things like Long War existing, mods haven't come anywhere close to the experience of the original game*. Now extrapolate that from a goodness-knows-what system (FF7r) that might rely a lot on opportunity cost, frame advantage, etc for its balancing and try to put it all into a turn-based system or ATB system.

It's nice to have pie-in-the-sky 'oh modders will solve this' or 'maybe Squeenix will have turn-based DLC' discussion, but the crux of the matter is, there's a shit ton of caveats that aren't immediately obvious, all of which would need to be dealt with.

Every use case that works with a more action-y system that might not with straight-out old-school ATB (e.g. if you need to run to a certain spot in some encounters, etc) would need specific solutions/workarounds in a transition to turn-based. Everything from character growth and stats, materia system, equipment, and then by extension balance and game design, and by further extension re-thinking where you find certain materia or equipment would all need to be solved. In other words, you'd need to rip the game apart and rebuild a good fraction of it, which is a tall order for a development team that's going to be better off not worrying about it, and outright impossible for modders with simple hacks, injections and asset replacements.

*Firaxis have said that with XCOM 2, they're supporting mods to the extent that determined people could recreate time units-based gameplay if so they wanted, but that's already a whole different mindset and level of enthusiast support (PC-based game with all its precedents inherent to that status, acknowledging modding, etc)

edit: Yes, I'm aware that this exists lol

While the possibilities and extent of modding is pretty much proportional to how much interest in a game there is, that's far less likely than even e.g. a mod for XCOM that modifies the game to go back to terrain-modelled chance-to-hit and time-units rather than the two-step board-game-esque movement/turns that the game actually has.

The point of me bringing up this specific example of XCOM is that it had its fair share of naysayers who just wanted an updated version of the original game with its mechanics intact, (sounds familiar) the fact that there's a modding community for XCOM, and that despite things like Long War existing, mods haven't come anywhere close to the experience of the original game*. Now extrapolate that from a goodness-knows-what system (FF7r) that might rely a lot on opportunity cost, frame advantage, etc for its balancing and try to put it all into a turn-based system or ATB system.

It's nice to have pie-in-the-sky 'oh modders will solve this' or 'maybe Squeenix will have turn-based DLC' discussion, but the crux of the matter is, there's a shit ton of caveats that aren't immediately obvious, all of which would need to be dealt with.

Every use case that works with a more action-y system that might not with straight-out old-school ATR (e.g. if you need to run to a certain spot in some encounters, etc) would need specific solutions/workarounds in a transition to turn-based. Everything from character growth and stats, materia system, equipment, and then by extension balance and game design, and by further extension re-thinking where you find certain materia or equipment would all need to be solved. In other words, you'd need to rip the game apart and rebuild a good fraction of it, which is a tall order for a development team that's going to be better off not worrying about it, and outright impossible for modders with simple hacks, injections and asset replacements.

*Firaxis have said that with XCOM 2, they're supporting mods to the extent that determined people could recreate time units-based gameplay if so they wanted, but that's already a whole different mindset and level of enthusiast support (PC-based game with all its precedents inherent to that status, acknowledging modding, etc)

I get where you're coming from, but I wasn't really speaking of a 1:1 recreation of the old style. My "lazy" approach is disabling movement until a timer filled up, allow the player to do an action, then reset the timer - or something along those lines. It's still to early to devise how something like that would work, especially without knowledge to the mechanics or access to the code. No matter what approach is taken, it would be a tremendous amount of work, but even if fans had to do a standalone project ripping assets from the remake I wouldn't put it past the VII fanbase at this point. I'm more than ok with the new approach, but I think that pusists will take anything they can get on that end.

Haunted

Am I the only one who gets Eminem vibes from Cloud's look? Not saying it's a bad thing, just saying is all...

JsJ9pfN.jpg

AbNG8ah.jpg
Yeah, you're probably the only one there are barely any similarities, they look nothing alike.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Cloud x Jesse.

Hope they don't kill her off in this one.
Conversely, I hope they build up their relationship even further in order to make her death more heartbreaking. More stuff like Wedge talking about wanting to be a hero and finally feeling important.

Biggs especially could use some extra character, he was the least developed of them all.

All this speculation about what the other characters are going to look like and other details has me so excited to see what they have in store for us :D

Conversely, I hope they build up their relationship even further in order to make her death more heartbreaking. More stuff like Wedge talking about wanting to be a hero and finally feeling important.

Biggs especially could use some extra character, he was the least developed of them all.

Feels weird to remember that they tried to make us feel sympathetic toward the Turks waaaay after that sector 7 platefall, and especially in all that supplemental material after the game.

I don't understand why Barrett is no wearing Sunglasses. Especially in the dead of night.

The designs I am happy with but the Sunglasses decision is stupid!

Village

The barret design is neat. It looks a lot closer to his av design mixed with his 7 design. So you could understand the transition. I hope ac best Barrett is in there.

Kyari

I worry they'll cut Tifa's hair :(

It'll be a clipping nightmare to animate like that in that much detail.

Top Bottom