• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character Changes on the Final Fantasy VII Remake (Not a Complaint Thread)

Aselith

I expect Tifa to look pretty much exactly like this.

3145367-tifa+lockhart+2.jpg

What was wrong with Cloud? Bro missed out.

McNum

I hope they keep some of the good bad translated lines in the English version. Cloud needs to say "Let's mosey!" and get called on how lame that is before the final battle. And I almost want Cid to swear like a sailor, but have censor beeps on it to do the $%&# effect.

The translation errors that cause misunderstandings need to go, of course

Golnei

Hope they go for full character customization. Different outfits, accessories..etc.

It'd be nice, but I'm not expecting it due to how rare it is for equipment to have visual representation in non-job system/MMO FFs. I'd be happy if they just have accessories show up on the ingame models and provide DLC costumes.

It's a minor cosmetic detail, but I hope they retain every weapon having an unique design that appears when equipped. I think the series has kinda cheapened out on that in recent entries.

Hexa

It's a minor cosmetic detail, but I hope they retain every weapon having an unique design that appears when equipped. I think the series has kinda cheapened out on that in recent entries.

That was the case for all of the FFXIII games though (most recent comparable entry), so I think they're still pretty adamant about doing it.

Golnei

That was the case for all of the FFXIII games though.

The original XIII had a lot of palette swapped weapons, though. I think Lightning only had something like 4 sword models, and even then; they were all very similar.

We are forgetting one important question.

Will they keep the frog status ailement when they turn into frogs and fight as them.

Might be left out but it would be hilarious.

Squire

Banned
Didn't they mention something about that? Like something about them wanting to make the Remake like Advent Children in some way?

They said that's their benchmark for the fidelity of the characters and the fighting. Kitase says in the interview video from PSX they want the real-time models to look that good.

PBalfredo

I bet you Barret's sunglasses are just going to be there for the early Midgard scenes when he's got a gruff, distant leader thing going on. Later where he becomes more personable towards Cloud, he'll probably lose them.

Aselith

I bet you Barret's sunglasses are just going to be there for the early Midgard scenes when he's got a gruff, distant leader thing going on. Later where he becomes more personable towards Cloud, he'll probably lose them.

SO you're saying their making Barrett tsundere and we can have gay relationships in this one?

CHC

I agree with all of this except "Midgard."

Falk

that puzzling face
I think the designs could, with the difference of a few years (in-universe) and way too much fighting, transition into the AC designs, which is all kinds of cool.

Take Barret for example. People change clothes and hairstyles all the time (especially over the course of a few years) but the tattoo remains the same.

I would expect Tifa to have the less awkward proportions a-la AC than balloons-jiggling-all-over of classic FF7.

Phoenixus

I wonder if Cloud might gradually bulk up slightly over the course of the game? This is the point in the story where he'd have
only just come out of that Mako coma after being carried for a year
, it'd make sense that he looks malnourished and skinny.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wonder if Cloud might gradually bulk up slightly over the course of the game? This is the point in the story where he'd have
only just come out of that Mako coma after being carried for a year
, it'd make sense that he looks malnourished and skinny.
Two years later

images

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

He's not unrealistically skinny, I have to disagree there. There are real people who look like that who aren't bulimic or anorexic.

The original XIII had a lot of palette swapped weapons, though. I think Lightning only had something like 4 sword models, and even then; they were all very similar.

Yeah. For example, I think Lightning's Lionheart and Ultima Weapons were palette swaps of each other, with Omega Weapon being a slightly redesigned version of the latter. I can't speak for XII, but it even goes as far back as X, where there's really only 5 or so weapon designs for each character outside their initial and ultimate weapons.

With Nomura being in charge of this though, I'm hopeful that it'll retain the design variety, especially considering the KH games manage to pull it off on a regular basis.

OmegaDL50

With Nomura being in charge of this though, I'm hopeful that it'll retain the design variety, especially considering the KH games manage to pull it off on a regular basis.

Well Nomura was the original character designer for even FF7 back in 1997...So I think he can do justice to the designs he created originally to begin with.

george_us

All of the character designs so far are incredible imo. Still very faithful to the original designs. My hype for this game is through the roof.

i really wonder how they'll handle a lot of the original, it really is a weird game. is the crossdressing going to be in it? the haunted house enemies? cait sith and red xiii?

Godcannon

I think the designs look great, very faithful to the OG, which couldn't be more important to me. Square Enix, a company I was on the verge of protesting and boycotting forever, have recaptured my faith and given me everything I've ever wanted. I couldn't be more proud of them and it seems like it all began when they changed management. Even my friend, who hates anything Final Fantasy, said that he is now interested in this Remake, and that is a testament to what SE have done for the franchise.
There is so much more I'm looking forward to in this game it's ridiculous.
-RedXIII
-Vincents Limits
-Minigames
-Remastered music.

Mother of freaking pearl.

Rad-

There's something off with Cloud. I dunno if it's the lighting but he basically looks like Prompto from FF15 in some shots.

Barret looks gud.

Boomshaw

Banned
Im seeing a lot of questions of what this summon will look like, and that summon. I honestly, cannot see them implementing all the summons. I reckon we'll maybe get around 10.

kaitain19

Not sure why so many people has a problem with Cloud's physique. Isn't he supposed to be inhumanly strong due to the effects of Mako? I don't think how big his muscles are even matter at this point.

JaseMath

Am I the only one who gets Eminem vibes from Cloud's look? Not saying it's a bad thing, just saying is all...

JsJ9pfN.jpg

AbNG8ah.jpg

I didn't notice any of these changes other than Barret wearing shades. I wonder if they're going to keep Barret and Cid's cussing censored, but I think on a few occassions they slipped some in in the original.

I hope Cloud has a choice of basically cosplaying Lightning for the cross dressing scene.

Caronte

I didn't like the facial animations (they looked really poor for being Square Enix), but I don't have any complaints about the designs.

Mediking

The only change I would want to see for Tifa is give her more muscle mass. Everyone else has guns and swords, but her weapon in the game is punching. She needs to be Korra-level jacked.

Yeah!!!! Just give her more muscle tone and she'll look purrfect!

Alfredo

Barret is my favorite character in FF7, and I'm not a huge fan of the sunglasses. Seems super cheesy (yes, I know I'm talking about a "Mr. T" clone), especially wearing them at night.

...But maybe they rewrote the story so that
he's also been exposed to the same Mako/Jenova injection process as SOLDIER, and he's wearing the sunglasses to hide the Mako in his eyes...and now Barret is a Sephiroth clone, too! AND HE'S THE REAL MAIN CHARACTER.
I'd be okay with that, lol.

Guys, the reason Cloud's so skinny is that he's still missing the other 34/35 soldier.

Edit: On a more serious note, I do want Cloud's arms to be beefed up a bit before release.

Alternate costumes, or better yet customizable costumes, are also welcome additions. It's all but guaranteed that alt costumes will either be unlockable or DLC, but looking at the long picture fans will mod stuff like this into the PC version in no time.

Honestly I'm expecting a turn based mod to be out within 5 years of release, and that possibility excites me to no end.

Top Bottom