• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character Changes on the Final Fantasy VII Remake (Not a Complaint Thread)

Mikey Jr.

Controversial statement time:

Do we really need Cait Sith? This ugly pink thing feels like its really going to clash with the realistic artstyle. I'd be happy with just the cat being non playable.

Ishida

Banned

Do we really need Cait Sith? This ugly pink thing feels like its really going to clash with the realistic artstyle. I'd be happy with just the cat being non playable.

Cait Sith was actually quite useful in battle.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If a character was in Advent Children, you pretty much know how they'll look right now.
Pretty much. These are their original costume renders.

final_fantasy_vii_wallpaper_by_alakdilion.png

Notice that Barret is the only one in his AC outfit, and then he shows up here as the only character with a more involved redesign. I think they really wanted to shy away from the Mr. T look.

entremet

You guys are already getting an action based battle system.

Enough is enough, breh.

Krejlooc

Banned

you're talking about a game with enemies such as these:

VknuY0Z.png

YsGf6st.png

GG0XLNu.png

Squire

Banned
Pretty much. These are their original costume renders.

final_fantasy_vii_wallpaper_by_alakdilion.png

Notice that Barret is the only one in his AC outfit, and then he shows up here as the only character with a more involved redesign. I think they really wanted to shy away from the Mr. T look.

Yeah, I think so too.

It's Nomura depicting FFVII characters in his realistic style. I really don't expect radical change from what you see here. This is probably the base material he's working from.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oh man, Cait Sith. This monstrosity will be amazing to see next to realistically rendered characters.

latest
Cait_Sith_Portrait_(280nb).jpg

They also conveniently left fatass moogle man out of AC. They can't get away with that this time.

Even more controversial statement:

Yes, we're likely getting Cait Sith. The fact it's a realistic art style means jackshit. Square could give a flying fuck, cause they've mixed realistic with non-realistic before. If people are so hung up on realism, they should look somewhere else.

Ishida

Banned
Oh man, Cait Sith. This monstrosity will be amazing to see next to realistically rendered characters.

latest

They also conveniently left fatass moogle man out of AC. They can't get away with that this time.

Well, we already saw Cait Sith on Advent Children and he looked pretty good. The robotic Moogle also makes a very short appearance in Advent Children complete, so you can get a clear idea of the look it may have here.

latest

I first played this game in like 6th grade. I din't figure out the Cait Sith wasn't the white thing until waayy later lol

B.K.

I always hated Tifa's design in Final Fantasy VII. I'd prefer for them to use the Advent Children or Kingdom Hearts 2 design.

entremet

latest

They're robots so it's not so outlandish.

CHC

Honestly, it looks like they knocked it out of the park based on the footage today. Biggs, Wedge and Jesse are so true to the image that the original models conjured, I was in disbelief. None of the corny tribal designs or overwrought stuff that has plagued recent Japanese designs - just clean, crisp, recognizable shapes. Perfect.

As for Barrett's sunglasses? Eh why not. Based on how I always imagined him speaking and acting, wearing sunglasses around seems completely like something he would do. Cloud in shades? Now THAT would be idiotic.

So far I have the utmost faith in the character designs, they look outstanding.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Pre-order DLC :/
Overall, I spent way too much money on Lightning Returns DLC... but the one costume I didn't regret buying was this shit:

rtcaHEw.gif

So good.

McNum

Wait... Cait Sith's weapon is a megaphone, but his attack is the robo-moogle punching the enemy. He's going to be shouting commands to that through the megaphone in battle, isn't he? That will either be the best or worst thing in the remake. All depending on Cait's voice.

Ishida

Banned
Wait... Cait Sith's weapon is a megaphone, but his attack is the robo-moogle punching the enemy. He's going to be shouting commands to that through the megaphone in battle, isn't he? That will either be the best or worst thing in the remake. All depending on Cait's voice.

If that's the case then prepare yourself. Cait Sith's voice is brutally annoying in the english dub. He has a terrible fake Irish accent.

would be cool if the game had alternate outfits in general...

so, later Barret takes off his sunglasses. everyone wears parkas up north, maybe even wear AC outfits for a while haha perhaps in Junon... good way to make everyone happier on outfit art is just make it dynamic so everyone gets a little more satisfied.

i was kinda hoping for bigger body proportions... Cloud always looks a bit odd when they scale down his arms but not his sword =p but that's not a big deal. was really hoping Barret was bigger tho. but at least he's based on the original concept art and not AC so that makes me overall happy haha :D

CHC

One thing I'll say is that Buster Sword looks SLIGHTLY too large. It should of course be very large, but I think something like the Greatsword from Dark Souls is a pretty good idea of the ideal proportion. This is just like a slab that covers his whole back.

Minor criticism though, and I'm sure there will be a multitude of weapons to obtain anyway.

Is Barret gonna curse in this game?

Also I feel that Barret should be a bit bigger, bulkier.

Everyone else looks fine, as long as they don't go overboard with little details, I understand that limitations of the PS1, but less is more.

Also Cloud Arms shouldn't be THAT skinny, but its early.

Show us Cait Sith!

one thing about the sword is that it probably changes, I guess? much of FF VII you don't even use a large great sword

can't wait to see the Murasame on his back or better yet the nail baseball bat :D

klee123

Its crazy looking back, the designs for the minor characters were so simple. Now you can't be as simple with the minor characters' design.

Which was probably why Square held off making FF7 for so long.

Especially for characters with not much screen time in the grand scheme of things.

Zetta

I'm alright with the current changes but I want them to use the Abridge FFVII voice for Barrett. Its just too good not to have him with that voice.

seeing Barret act all tough when he's actually a big ol' softy is going to be funny.

He'd %&$*# better

Cloud looks faithful to the original design though.

He has a bit more muscle then that though or maybe it just looks weird that he can handle that huge sword.

Golnei

Cloud's and Sephiroth's Kingdom Hearts outfits would be awesomely inappropriate. (I want them.)

Considering they were used in Dissidia without having to deal with Disney, there's a chance they'd be able to include them. I don't think they'd be that unlikely as DLC along with the AC outfits - they wouldn't break the tone quite as much as Lightning's Moogle outfit.

Though speaking of Sephiroth as a playable character, it'll be interesting to see how that's handled here - I can't see them making him a complete character for a single flashback scene, maybe he'll be an uncontrollable AI party member with a very limited set of animations which will be reused in the final sequence. Or the entire scene could just be a QTE, or cut entirely.

McNum

If that's the case then prepare yourself. Cait Sith's voice is brutally annoying in the english dub. He has a terrible fake Irish accent.
So bad that it's fun, or just plain old bad? It could still be the best and worst thing. Maybe both at the same time.

Though speaking of Sephiroth as a playable character, it'll be interesting to see how that's handled here - I can't see them making him a complete character for a single flashback scene, maybe he'll be an uncontrollable AI party member with a very limited set of animations which will be reused in the final sequence. Or the entire scene could just be a QTE, or cut entirely.
Well, Sephiroth was on auto-pilot in that part of the game in the original. You saw his stats, but you never got to control him. He was there to cast Life2 on Cloud when the dragon looked at Cloud funny for four digit damage out of 120 HP. Or just kill it and leave Cloud KO'd.

I like Barret, and hope they changed his personality to something less, bafoonish. An bafoon doesn't lead a resistance.
but he's supposed to be hootin' and hollerin' =(

not the same without the ALL CAPS and @#$%

Q1INad0A.png

haha twice as big and twice as loud soooo good :D

//edit// btw I'm still looking forward to Barret if he's a bit different

too cool no smile seriousness and sunglasses kinda feels like they gave him the Adam Jensen treatment :D

which is funny because I always felt like Barrett in Deus Ex HR reminded me of Barret... same loud cajun accent, flat top army cut, and arm gun

Ōkami

One of the changes that also go without saying is being able to name characters, Cloud is refered to by name in the trailer so it doesn't seem as that's coming back. It's one of the consequences of voice acting but still.

I for one am really looking forward to seeing Supernova in action, hopefully it's still unskippable and really long.

I like Barret, and hope they changed his personality to something less, bafoonish. An bafoon doesn't lead a resistance.

Wasn't that specifically done in the western translation of the game? I've heard several times that Barret doesn't speak like that in the Japanese version of hte game. One of the people that was going to do a retranslation specifically noted that one of the things he wanted to fix was how he was handled in the western version of the game.

I'd like to see Tifa get a more practical outfit that still honours her original. Fighting in a skirt was always silly. Maybe some black shorts instead and keep the white top

SolVanderlyn

Wasn't that specifically done in the western translation of the game? I've heard several times that Barret doesn't speak like that in the Japanese version of hte game. One of the people that was going to do a retranslation specifically noted that one of the things he wanted to fix was how he was handled in the western version of the game.
This is true, but western Barret has a certain... charm, I guess you call it, haha. Same with Cid.

I fully expect neither character's ridiculous(ly brilliant) localized personality to be carried over. Which is a shame.

Tifa getting muscle mass isn't happening if skinny Cloud is hauling around a giant slab of metal with no issues. Same could be said about outfits and practicality. Come on, Barret is wearing sunglasses at night, in a place where the sun doesn't shine even during the day.

Top Bottom