• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities you don't like

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbor

Banned
Just cities or towns too?

Liverpool and if towns allowed, Poipet. An absolute shithole full of criminals that would kill you as soon as look at you.

Poipet is pretty bad too

entremet

Houston is awful in terms of sprawl. I love it for sentimental reason--birth city and stayed there for a bit during growing up, but going back is never fun.

cafemomo

You guys need to visit some third world cities. lol

I've been to various "third world" cities and I'd rather go back there given the choice than LA

I wish some more of my friends who live in LA would move down to San Diego so I have an excuse to go down there more often. That city is really gorgeous.
If I were to move to the west coast, it would probably be San Diego

FloatOn

A city cannot be redeemed by another city 3 hours away. :lol

I like Dallas, but I totally understand why people don't. It's deserved, but we're working on it. Give us a decade and get back to us.

Austin is so good it redeems all of texas. I went there on vacation this summer and it ruled.

It basically feels like what where I live (Orlando) could be in a few years

ATF487

LA is a shit city. I can see why people would want to live in that area but it has very few of the things I love about cities

Wasn't a big fan of DC when I went there, but I can't really tell you why.

Edit: oh yeah, and San Jose, Costa Rica

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Reno. Only bad experiences there. Last time almost got attacked outside a club, luckily got to my car in time and the bottle they threw didn't brake a window.

Seattle...Just cuz.

I actually enjoyed my time in Manila, Quezon City and Legazpi when visiting the Philippines. Even though I was a total outsider, I really had a lot of fun there.

Los Angeles? Nope, I really dislike going there every damn year.

Carl

I really don't like London. I only went for EGX for a few years but thankfully that will now be in Birmingham which is so much better. London is awful.

The closest big city to where I live is Milwaukee, and I've always disliked it. Despite living here my whole life, I avoid that city whenever I can. A few places on the East side are nice, and I like Summerfest, but on the whole the city lacks a good personality. If I want a good midwest city, I'll choose Chicago, Minneapolis, and even Detroit above Milwaukee.

jimbor

Banned
I really don't like London. I only went for EGX for a few years but thankfully that will now be in Birmingham which is so much better. London is awful.

Lol @ the suggestion of Birmingham being better than anywhere, let alone London.

That Whore Ann Arbor.

Without a doubt the worst pedestrians I've ever encountered in a city while driving. Oblivious to everything around them.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Junction City (Oregon). I may have passed through once or twice with no real impression of the place, but I really aht3 it for the name. Worst name for a city ever. I hate seeing it on aigns when I'm in the area.

Miami. The weather is beautiful, but I really disliked everything else about. Everyone and everything there is so phony, that it makes Las Vegas seem like just a proper little middle American town. I only stayed there for a day, so maybe I didn't give it a fair shake, but it left me with no desire to return. Ft. Lauderdale on the other hand..really fun and friendly place in my experience.

The closest big city to where I live is Milwaukee, and I've always disliked it. Despite living here my whole life, I avoid that city whenever I can. A few places on the East side are nice, and I like Summerfest, but on the whole the city lacks a good personality. If I want a good midwest city, I'll choose Chicago, Minneapolis, and even Detroit above Milwaukee.

You aren't wrong, Milwaukee is trash. So many people live there and there's absolutely nothing worthwhile to do or see. It's as bad as every major city in Iowa or Ohio.

Detroit isn't as bad depending on where in the city you are. Chicago and Minneapolis are great, though. :)

I lived in San Francisco for a bit, and I left really underwhelmed. The weather kind of sucked compared to what I thought it would be. The air always seemed kind of dusty, and winter was relentlessly chilly and windy.

I also thought the food was extremely overrated. The pizza was awful, and for as much praise as the Mexican and Asian food gets, I found it to be as hit or miss as any other city, including *gasp* those in the Midwest.

But most importantly there is the fact that everything in the city costs a premium. To live there, you are entering a contract where you agree to overpay regardless of the quality of goods or services. Yes, I know that's every city to an extent, but I've never seen such an egregious disconnect as I saw there. I actually thought Oakland seemed like a much cooler city, and that is not what I would have thought before living in California.

Moppeh

Banned
After spending a year in Toronto I came to the revelation that I did not like the city very much. It sucks compared to Montreal, Ottawa, or Victoria.

I'm not a huge Vegas fan either, well, at the very least, I hate the Strip. Old Vegas is cool but goddamn it, I fucking hated having to walk by those fuckers slapping the cards against their arms. By the end of my week there I was ready to choke one of them out. Actually scratch that, I dig Vegas but some of the people there are shitty and irritating.

I wasn't impressed by LA for the little time I was there. I don't dislike NYC, but it is definitely over rated and there is no way I'd want to live there.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
After living in NYC for 20+ years, I can safely say I don't like it anymore. I've been itching to move elsewhere for a while now. I live in Manhattan, but it doesn't feel like "living." Feels like I'm grinding my way through every single day with how congested this fucking place is.

It's definitely a grass is greener kinda thing, but I'm ready for a slower-paced lifestyle. Recently visited Pittsburgh, which is a beautiful city in its own way, and felt so envious of the people living in and around it. I want to own a car already. I want to own a house. I want to have space. I just want to be able to fucking breathe. I spend hours every day commuting underground in this shitty city.

Arjen

I was thinking LA at first, but I did enjoy Santa Monica, no idea if that's still considered LA?
But my vote goes to Bangkok, insane traffic, stinks everywhere, and people trying to scam you on every corner.

Seth C

I've usually fly out to Los Angeles twice a year to visit some friends and family, but this year I managed to go there 10 times, and that really opened my eyes on how awful the city is
The downtown is boring and lifeless (and the skyline looks horrid), public transportation sucks/almost non existent and the highways are literally hell on earth.

What about you, what cities do you dislike?

Sorry, but that is just outright wrong. It used to be, but it hasn't been so in years. There is plenty to do downtown, every night of the week.

how can you say that about LA when Hollywood with all its celebrities are there

Hollywood is awful, and Santa Monica is also as bad.

Paris
Houston

KingGondo

Banned
Dallas and Houston spring to mind.

Sprawling with terrible traffic. "Stuff to do" means chain restaurants to eat mediocre food at, endless big box stores and malls to buy useless shit at, and sporting events that are difficult to get to because some suburb bent over and gave massive public subsidies to build the stadium there. And the people are *entirely* too proud to live there.

I'm sure there are nice little enclaves in each city, but overall they suck. Hard.

entremet

I've been.

They have a certain charm to them actually. Even the poor people seem happier that rich fat cats I've seen in bigger 1st world cities.

Safety is usually the biggest concern, though. Especially as a tourist.

OSHAN

First time in LA I had my rental car windows smashed in, and all the shit I had from E3 stolen, along with my colleague's laptop.

So, LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom