• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Class of Heroes 2 Physical Release [UMD+PSN for $36] order forms up, min-2500 units

I'm really liking the little bits of narrative inserted between character dialogue. I'm cool with the utilitarian graphics of most dungeon crawlers, but anything to help paint the picture a little more is always welcome.

vireland

I'm really liking the little bits of narrative inserted between character dialogue. I'm cool with the utilitarian graphics of most dungeon crawlers, but anything to help paint the picture a little more is always welcome.

I was shooting for a more interactive book-like experience to augment the core graphics of the game. It's also why I had an italics font added to the US game - to set those narrative bits apart visually. It should be obvious already from the videos posted to people that played CoH1 that the story, characters, and experience is not boring and tedious like most of the first game. Of course, in the end, that will be for the players to judge, but I think this is on the right path now. :)

Here's a video of comedic quest in the game I posted earlier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06t4nvvBqJs

vireland

Have the sales augured well for a physical release when it comes time for your next psp project Vic?

We're over 2450 CoH2 physical+digital and 2500 was the goal, so we should make it by tomorrow night. 2500 is the minimum to be able to offer the physical+digital thing, so if we can maintain that level of interest or hopefully grow it, then it will be offered for CoH3 and other PSP projects as well.

They'll always be preceded by a poll to gauge interest, though, because once we open the presales, we're locked in to doing it.

cj_iwakura

We're over 2450 CoH2 physical+digital and 2500 was the goal, so we should make it by tomorrow night. 2500 is the minimum to be able to offer the physical+digital thing, so if we can maintain that level of interest or hopefully grow it, then it will be offered for CoH3 and other PSP projects as well.

They'll always be preceded by a poll to gauge interest, though, because once we open the presales, we're locked in to doing it.

So wait, you still plan to keep doing PSP physicals? Will there ever be a point when UMD production is no longer possible? I know it's still going in Japan, but that can't last forever...

So wait, you still plan to keep doing PSP physicals? Will there ever be a point when UMD production is no longer possible? I know it's still going in Japan, but that can't last forever...

Sony JUST stopped mini disc production earlier this year...so yeah...I'm pretty sure they can continue to produce UMDs. That said, should the cost become too much, that's what digital/PSN is for :)

vireland

We plan on offering one-off physical+digital editions at launch for all the PSP titles we do that have the minimum level of support needed to do it. For CoH2, that was 2500 units. For a more expensive license it may be higher. Then once the game has launched, the games will be available digitally from there forward.

As long as the fan support is there and Sony will manufacture the UMDs, we'll offer it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Put up another sample quest video yesterday. It's one from the beginning of the game with a slightly overpowered party (wouldn't be a great video if the party DIED!).

http://youtu.be/qltiSQJ0cFs

Ahh, that fun dialogue; I still double-speak to town NPCs in modern games, as Lunar SSSC taught me well; It's always a joy to get that little extra quip that people who speed through things would miss.

This all somehow reminds me of how much fun I had reading through the strategy guides for these games, too; I never really used guides generally, (always would get them for the art though), but I used to love reading through the Lunar Guide (tap dancing rounds!)... which sadly was lost when lent to a friend, who had a nasty, now long-ex wife. She sold some of HIS stuff behind his back, and somehow, my guide got included... Even more reasons for me not to like her, ha.

Wish I purchased the Eternal Blue Sega CD guide back in the day, too, but I didn't even have the game OR system then...

I'd defintely want to buy such guides for these upcoming CoH games, even if they were just nicely written PDFs with some bonus art and such. Though physical editions with "bromide" stickers for our now-non-existant memory cards would be even cooler!

androvsky

My only complaint is that UMDs are probably my least favorite physical game format ever. I suppose I should mention here that my pre-order for the CoH 2 UMD is already in. But I'd love to see something like this for a PS1, PS2, PS3, Vita, NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, whatever, release, even though I know official QA is impossible on most of those.

PSP games are about the only format where my wife and I prefer digital, just because we both prefer playing them on the Vita so much. Okay, that and I don't like how fragile normal UMD cases are.

Any chance we could get a small black read-surface CD run for the right PS1 game?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ever since I put 30 hours into CoH when it came out, then heard that the sequel blew it out of the water, I've been so anxious to try it in english. Literally can't wait, thanks Vic!

vireland

My only complaint is that UMDs are probably my least favorite physical game format ever. I suppose I should mention here that my pre-order for the CoH 2 UMD is already in. But I'd love to see something like this for a PS1, PS2, PS3, Vita, NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, whatever, release, even though I know official QA is impossible on most of those.

PSP games are about the only format where my wife and I prefer digital, just because we both prefer playing them on the Vita so much. Okay, that and I don't like how fragile normal UMD cases are.

Any chance we could get a small black read-surface CD run for the right PS1 game?

Actually I prefer the quicker-loading of digital, but as a collector, I want the physical version of as many games as I can buy that way. Offering combo releases is my way to bridge that dichotomy because I'm of the belief that there are other hardcore RPG fans out there with a similar issue.

I don't think there's a manufacturing line for PS discs anymore in NA. There is for PS2 in South America (last I heard), but QA for unreleased, unlocalized PS1 games is not possible under current rules. Not to say that couldn't change, but it would be a battle.

vireland

Ahh, that fun dialogue; I still double-speak to town NPCs in modern games, as Lunar SSSC taught me well; It's always a joy to get that little extra quip that people who speed through things would miss.

I had a good time fleshing out the characters in this game and there's a nice mix of drama, exposition, and humor in the US release. At one point I planned on adding even more dialogue events, but we learned as we went that memory was *really* tight in this game, and we'd have to re-write significant portions of the game to make it more efficient if I were to do that and we didn't have enough testers to QA a change like that thoroughly enough.

vireland

Ever since I put 30 hours into CoH when it came out, then heard that the sequel blew it out of the water, I've been so anxious to try it in english. Literally can't wait, thanks Vic!

Thanks for your support. I've played through it completely more than a dozen times now, and am looking forward to finally having fans be able to enjoy this for themselves.

One crazy bit of trivia...the script and game was proofed extensively and we STILL missed a were/we're mistake in the FIRST QUEST OF THE GAME. Couldn't believe it. It's in the Amazon Campus Tour video. But, it was fixed in time for the release!

Actually I prefer the quicker-loading of digital, but as a collector, I want the physical version of as many games as I can buy that way. Offering combo releases is my way to bridge that dichotomy because I'm of the believe that there are other hardcore RPG fans out there with a similar issue.

I don't think there's a manufacturing line for PS discs anymore in NA. There is for PS2 in South America (last I heard), but QA for unreleased, unlocalized PS1 games is not possible under current rules. Not to say that couldn't change, but it would be a battle.

These kind of projects really pique my interest because it's basically pure fan service. If the 2,500 units sell, have you guys already turned a profit to start putting towards your next project? Or is that just breakeven?

EDIT: also, any update on when the digital version will be released? Fingers crossed we're still on-track for end of May.

vireland

These kind of projects really pique my interest because it's basically pure fan service. If the 2,500 units sell, have you guys already turned a profit to start putting towards your next project? Or is that just breakeven?

EDIT: also, any update on when the digital version will be released? Fingers crossed we're still on-track for end of May.

We're basically at breakeven for the physical, and are counting on the digital sales between North America and Europe over time to provide the actual profit.

Digital version's still in QA. We had a unexpected problem (it had already passed QA once with the opening animation that had the rights issue) with ad-hoc networking of the trading system that came when we rebuilt the game without the opening animation. Fixed the issue and put it back in QA. Once it's out, we'll have the earliest PSN street date assigned from Sony and will post that.

For those that were worrying if this was going to go down to the wire should have a sigh of relief. Vic just tweeted that the preorders have surpassed the 2,500 goal, meaning physical copies are a-go.

I also placed an order for the game just now since I've been waiting for this past Friday for some money to come my way. Thank goodness this was extended by a few days. Hopefully I'll start COH1 sometime starting now until I get the COH2 copy. Looking forward to the game and your next PSP project, whatever that may be Vic.

Ramune

Actually I prefer the quicker-loading of digital, but as a collector, I want the physical version of as many games as I can buy that way. Offering combo releases is my way to bridge that dichotomy because I'm of the belief that there are other hardcore RPG fans out there with a similar issue.

That's my philosophy, and part of why I support efforts like this one!

vireland

Are you able to tackle any of Acquire's Wizardry Renaissance games, or is that too chaotic?

With the whole CoH series we'd like to do plus the other stuff we're trying to license that requires localization, probably not. They can't be all dungeon crawlers...

vireland

For those that were worrying if this was going to go down to the wire should have a sigh of relief. Vic just tweeted that the preorders have surpassed the 2,500 goal, meaning physical copies are a-go.

I also placed an order for the game just now since I've been waiting for this past Friday for some money to come my way. Thank goodness this was extended by a few days. Hopefully I'll start COH1 sometime starting now until I get the COH2 copy. Looking forward to the game and your next PSP project, whatever that may be Vic.

Thanks for the support. Physical copies were a go as soon as we opened the presales. If we fell short, I was making up the difference. That's why I did the poll first - to make sure we were in the support ballpark, because once the presales started, it was a go, whatever the number.

vireland

Vic, if you don't mind disclosing, what was the ratio of KS copies to regular copies?

Someone just asked me on the GW message board. I haven't checked the ratio in a few days, but it was holding pretty steady at 80% Reg / 20% KS, so I imagine it's about the same. There's been a little more activity today of people getting or coming back for multiple KS copies, so that may be skewed by the close tomorrow, but I can't imagine it being more than 70% Reg / 30% KS. The KS variant will be very rare when all is said and done.

Scott

So, one last ditch effort here before the final day:

Anybody willing to purchase a Kickstarter variant for me? I would really appreciate it.

That said, I apologize if asking that here is in poor taste, Vic. I've always been a huge Working Designs supporter, so I really don't mean to spit in the face of it being exclusive to backers or anything of that sort, and I hope it doesn't come across that way. I just haven't been active here (or on any other boards, for that matter) for years, so my venues for seeking a copy are pretty limited, and I'd just hate to miss out.

vireland

When will the digital version be up on PSN?

Yes, the digital version will be $24.99 late this month or early next. We're waiting for it to come out of QA. Fans that have bought the physical+digital combo will get their PSN code via email before it goes up on PSN so they can download it day one.

vireland

So, one last ditch effort here before the final day:

Anybody willing to purchase a Kickstarter variant for me? I would really appreciate it.

That said, I apologize if asking that here is in poor taste, Vic. I've always been a huge Working Designs supporter, so I really don't mean to spit in the face of it being exclusive to backers or anything of that sort, and I hope it doesn't come across that way. I just haven't been active here (or on any other boards, for that matter) for years, so my venues for seeking a copy are pretty limited, and I'd just hate to miss out.

Honestly, I don't see a problem with it. If you have a friend (or internet "friend") who will hook you up and THEY were a Kickstarter supporter, you're okay in my book. It's like I invited key supporters to a very exclusive party and each invitation had a +1 attached.

I've been very pleased that all the KS supporters I've checked on in the order list have been very restrained with ordering duplicates. Most are just 1-3 copies. A few are more, but not many. There's no crazy abuse I've seen.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I had a good time fleshing out the characters in this game and there's a nice mix of drama, exposition, and humor in the US release. At one point I planned on adding even more dialogue events, but we learned as we went that memory was *really* tight in this game, and we'd have to re-write significant portions of the game to make it more efficient if I were to do that and we didn't have enough testers to QA a change like that thoroughly enough.

Unfortunate to hear the additional bits couldn't work out, but great to hear you enjoyed it, and of the potential for more! Maybe next game or 2...

This mention, and the info on Chrono Academy lead me to a question:

Would it ever be possible in your teams abilitiesto take a PSP game, and up-convert it to Native Vita resolution / give it trophies / etc? There's so much on PSP that I'd love to see get a resolution jump for the artwork, and some touch-screen use for certain elements.

I love what Namco has done with God Eater Burst 2 on Vita, and I'd love to see some PSP re-tooling of that calibur happen to some late imports, though that might be a pipe dream...?

Same here as the other fellow, I'd love a kickstarter version as well but I regret th fleecing ill get on ebay after the fact. Anybody willing to help out a longtime wd fan?

vireland

Same here as the other fellow, I'd love a kickstarter version as well but I regret th fleecing ill get on ebay after the fact. Anybody willing to help out a longtime wd fan?

The best place to ask this is probably on the gaijinworks message board. Probably a higher concentration per-capita of supporters of the unfunded Kickstarter.

ascii42

Are there any PS2 games that could be a possibility?

vireland

I hope first game goes on sale or ps plus soon so I can try it and maybe then two if I dig it.

Skip the first one. It's really not a good entree to the series and has a greater chance of turning you off to the series because it's boring and tedious and abusive to the player.

vireland

Are there any PS2 games that could be a possibility?

We were trying to do the unreleased Goemon PS2, which is why I know about the South America QA line. But that hasn't gone anywhere yet.

There are some other released PS2 titles we're after, but none have come through yet.

vireland

That looks quite awesome actually. I wonder if we can skip 4 and go straight to 5 after 3...

EDIT: just read that Class of Heroes: Chrono Academy came out for the Vita last year in Japan, now I REALLY want it :D

We'll get to 5 before you know it, and probably be right up on the Japanese release of 6 by then. At least this isn't a Tales situation where stuff is released or passed over seemingly without rhyme or reason. Each CoH in the series from here through 5 has rated higher in Japan than the one before it, so there is no slippage back to CoH1 tedium, it's all up from here, and if we can build on the initial fan support with the physical+digital and then continue with the digital-only release, we would like to do them all.

We'll get to 5 before you know it, and probably be right up on the Japanese release of 6 by then. At least this isn't a Tales situation where stuff is released or passed over seemingly without rhyme or reason. Each CoH in the series from here through 5 has rated higher in Japan than the one before it, so there is no slippage back to CoH1 tedium, it's all up from here, and if we can build on the initial fan support with the physical+digital and then continue with the digital-only release, we would like to do them all.

That's great to hear. How long does each project generally take, minus fund-raising efforts like this? Are we talking a few years, or will things go a bit faster moving forward (assuming fan interest and money is there)?

As for Tales games, don't even get me started. Namco Bandai can KMA. All I need are English subtitles/text, I don't need full dubbing for the voiceovers for the games to be released in NA...sigh.

vireland

That's great to hear. How long does each project generally take, minus fund-raising efforts like this? Are we talking a few years, or will things go a bit faster moving forward (assuming fan interest and money is there)?

As for Tales games, don't even get me started. Namco Bandai can KMA. All I need are English subtitles/text, I don't need full dubbing for the voiceovers for the games to be released in NA...sigh.

If we hadn't had initial issues getting the code running on the PSP dev kits (loss of ~3 months) and this music rights issue (loss of 2+ months) this would have been out last year. Moving forward, we should be able to get each one out in 6-8 months, although it may be a little faster once we get multiple going at once since some of that initial time was waiting for the chunks of rough translation to come in.

Of course, threading in any of the other RPG titles we're working to get the license for could slow things down a bit, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Timing the close of license deals is too unpredictable.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?

That would be incredible. I will buy any physical PSP games you do Vic.

Top Bottom