• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summon Night 5 (PSP) Physical + Digital Limited Edition Presale Live (Until Sept 7th)

Eusis

I remember waiting for Trails SC to go up on NA PSN on release day and it took forever. I hope this one will go up sooner
Yeah, I'm afraid this will be a repeat of that or worse given it wasn't in the drop and the site seems to be mostly updated.

RIP EU

I guess I'll play it tomorrow ;_;

ot5pMhk.png

Prelude.

Here's a few details about the localization from Siliconera

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/14/summon-night-5-no-voiceovers-lots-save-files/

I'm a bit surprised it has no VO at all. Did I just miss the discussion about that? Not sure what I expected, but weird that I just found that out today.
They couldn't afford it for this kind of release apparently.

Edit: This is new to me though.

Unfortunately, small sales for the title prevented it from being able to afford dubbed dialogue.

I tought it was set in stone from the start.

jjasso21

I received the PSN download code for Summon Night 5 today. The email mentioned it may be a few more weeks for the Physical UMDs to be shipped out.

cj_iwakura

Yeah it's mentioned in the article, just would have thought that it's something that should have been mentioned somewhere before. Maybe I just forgot about it, I don't know.

This was never said to my knowledge, in fact I thought the voice was shown in a trailer.

Prelude.

This was never said to my knowledge, in fact I thought the voice was shown in a trailer.
I knew that since a long time ago, the only thing I didn't know was that (apparently, judging from that article that could just be the usual lolsiliconera goof) they would have been able to afford the dub if they made more money from the pre-sale thing.

cj_iwakura

I knew that since a long time ago, the only thing I didn't know was that (apparently, judging from that article that could just be the usual lolsiliconera goof) they would have been able to afford the dub if they made more money from the pre-sale thing.

Could have sworn he just said the voices wouldn't be dubbed. Didn't expect another Growlanser IV debacle.

Steel

Banned
Good thing it's a PSP game, someone will probably "undub" it.

It is an undub. That's what we're discussing. Personally, I prefer an undub in this case. That being said, it'll be weird if they don't even have voices in combat.

vireland

Here's a few details about the localization from Siliconera

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/14/summon-night-5-no-voiceovers-lots-save-files/

I'm a bit surprised it has no VO at all. Did I just miss the discussion about that? Not sure what I expected, but weird that I just found that out today.

That article has a weirdly adversarial headline. There's no secret at all that there was no budget for VO or licensed voices in this release. We didn't have them for Class of Heroes 2 or 2G, and won't have them for CoH3. For SN5, it's been clear from the beginning, we answered it whenever it was asked, and it was clear in the videos we released, most notably the 25 minute unedited slice of the game that shows the game events and the battles. If you were following the game at all, it was very hard to miss.

Expecting full VO localization in a ~$42 game with 40k lines of dialogue when the initial sales of the physical version were less than 5,000 units on a "dead" platform is a bit much. Can we do it? Yes. But we need to sell a reasonable amount of copies to have the budget for that. And that means 25k units and up. It will get easier as we move to platforms with a larger and more active base, but we just need to keep growing the fanbase to get to the point where we can make it happen.

That article has a weirdly adversarial headline. There's no secret at all that there was no budget for VO or licensed voices in this release. We didn't have them for Class of Heroes 2 or 2G, and won't have them for CoH3. For SN5, it's been clear from the beginning, we answered it whenever it was asked, and it was clear in the videos we released, most notably the 25 minute unedited slice of the game that shows the game events and the battles. If you were following the game at all, it was very hard to miss.

Expecting full VO localization in a ~$42 game with 40k lines of dialogue when the initial sales of the physical version were less than 5,000 units on a "dead" platform is a bit much. Can we do it? Yes. But we need to sell a reasonable amount of copies to have the budget for that. And that means 25k units and up. It will get easier as we move to platforms with a larger and more active base, but we just need to keep growing the fanbase to get to the point where we can make it happen.

I really didn't want to make big deal out of it, I was just surprised. I definitely followed the game and I probably just missed it. The VO for the special attacks like in the footage I posted above are still in though? Or not?

finalhour

Really looking forward to this. Picking up Brandish from the Holiday sale as well, and have Trails SC already loaded on the Vita. Going to be a PSP Christmas this year :)

Also am I the only one who prefers no voice overs? I like being able to just read and put my own voice to the characters.

vireland

Here's 25 minutes of english gameplay, and it at least has VO for special attacks and stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIPJkr2Bths

I hope that was kept in at least. It's unfortunate but not a huge issue. If it really bothers me I guess I could play a patched version in an emulator or something

What you see in the video is exactly what you will get. Battle voices and some spot voice is still there, but the dialogue in conversations is text only. There was just too much to do or license for a project with sales this small. The VO license for the Japanese would have almost cost more than the gross of the game. Literally. Just not do-able. Atlus couldn't do it for their OWN GAME when they brought over the PSP Growlanser IV, so people who think we somehow should when we are paying for the game licensing itself are a little bonkers. At least they'll get an enjoyable localization with Summon Night 5. That's more than GL IV delivered.

vireland

I really didn't want to make big deal out of it, I was just surprised. I definitely followed the game and I probably just missed it. The VO for the special attacks like in the footage I posted above are still in though? Or not?

Yes, it will be exactly as you see in that unedited chunk of the game. We fixed up a little text here and there, but the battle voices are still in, and when you're exploring the town you may get a brief Japanese greeting voiced here and there.

cj_iwakura

Yes, it will be exactly as you see in that unedited chunk of the game. We fixed up a little text here and there, but the battle voices are still in, and when you're exploring the town you may get a brief Japanese greeting voiced here and there.

That's good, way more effort than Growlanser IV.

Steel

Banned

Great to hear. Can't wait until the game is on the store.

What you see in the video is exactly what you will get. Battle voices and some spot voice is still there, but the dialogue in conversations is text only. There was just too much to do or license for a project with sales this small. The VO license for the Japanese would have almost cost more than the gross of the game. Literally. Just not do-able. Atlus couldn't do it for their OWN GAME when they brought over the PSP Growlanser IV, so people who think we somehow should when we are licensing the game already are a little bonkers. At least they'll get an enjoyable localization with Summon Night 5. That's more than GL IV delivered.

Yeah that's fine, it at least gives me a feeling for how those characters should sound like.
Recently there was a VN released on Steam for 19.99, with DLC that adds voices for another 19.99. It really displayed how expensive licensing voices is. Having voices as DLC actually seems like a great option but it's probably hard to realize and calculate.

BTW, PlayStation Blog forgot about the game, but that's not unexpected I guess

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/15/playstation-store-update-422/

cj_iwakura

It wasn't mentioned on The Drop last Sunday, I wasn't expecting them to mention it on the Store Update as well.

Shame, they hyped CoH2 pretty heavily. Maybe Vic can get them to show it some love.

Banners get, so I should have an OT up later tonight. Hopefully the drama blows over(if there even is any).

Eusis

Banners get, so I should have an OT up later tonight. Hopefully the drama blows over(if there even is any).
Probably just disbelief that there's a PSP game to put up. As in they subconsciously tune it out because it seems that preposterous these days.

Seriously though (though I sometimes wonder if that's more on the nose than not) it could be out of the way to add PSP games now so they easily get lost in the shuffle. I doubt there's any REAL drama, just slipping through the cracks in a busy period, if not in releases then in sales at least.

Seda

This will be my holiday travel game; I don't know much about Summon Night, but willing to give most SRPGs a shot.

vireland

I asked this several times, any info about the EU release?
Is it even gonna be released in Europe?

It's actually in process. We hope to launch it in Jan or Feb. And this has solved some of the kinks for CoH2 and 2G so we should be able to get those up now, too.

cj_iwakura

Heh, that description:

Summon Night 5™ is an award-winning tactical role-playing game for Sony’s PSP™ handheld game system. Its protagonists are the Eucross, a group of Summoners who maintain order and balance between parallel worlds bathed in magic that ebbs and flows based on the phase of the moon. The playable characters are Arca (a female Summoner) and Folth (male). Both are Eucross rookies, but their preternatural skills and charisma allow them to “Cross” successfully with any of four different partners: Dyth, Kagerou, Spinel and Pariet. Players can experience as many as 8 different variations of the story and over 14 different endings through repeated playthroughs, with different story arcs and Cross abilities determined by their choice of playable character and partner. There is Normal mode and also an Easy mode, designed for players who value the story and fun, but are terrible at strategy games. So, uh, I guess this is the part where you click “Buy,” right?

Top Bottom