• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic FM At The Movies - Videogame Special, Sat 13th June 17:00 BST

This is the last song, time to queue up Grandia soundtrack for after, next time this comes round I will reach out with the request early, more people need to hear this epic piece.

So I hear! going from the Genesis synthesizer to a full orchestra is quite the jump
It's why I think games composition is so underrated. I think it's easier to score in the traditional sense. A lot of film scores are so bland and generic. With games, the essence tends to be on composing an original tune...well quite a lot of them per game actually! If done well, they almost always tend to translate well to an orchestra.

Shows such as Classic FM's are hopefully starting to show this to a broader audience. It's a very popular radio station in the UK. I'm particularly happy with Howard Goodall and now Andrew Collins and the production team's research and general presentation which is typical of the classical music shows on Classic and Radio 4.

Another great show. Looking forward to the next one!

EDITY -
Nah, this kind. It's disappointment every time. :\
Ah of course! Well technically it's the same, but I never made the connection before!

Remk

It's why I think games composition is so underrated. I think it's easier to score in the traditional sense. A lot of film scores are so bland and generic. With games, the essence tends to be on composing an original tune...well quite a lot of them per game actually! If done well, they almost always tend to translate well to an orchestra.

Shows such as Classic FM's are hopefully starting to show this to a broader audience.

100% agree, and I think the limitations the composers had on the 8/16 bit era actually helped hem create such great musical pieces since they were focused on creating something that would actually sound good and not just play in the background.

A lot of them would sound fantastic with modern instrumentation or a symphony, but alas, video game music is still very much underrated. But people are getting more exposed to it, so who knows what might happen in the future right? :)

I am wondering if the electronic guitar piece in Grandia draws out the elitist in the host/producer, I sincerely hope not, the genre flexibility is the true strength of the piece.

100% agree, and I think the limitations the composers had on the 8/16 bit era actually helped hem create such great musical pieces since they were focused on creating something that would actually sound good and not just play in the background.

A lot of them would sound fantastic with modern instrumentation or a symphony, but alas, video game music is still very much underrated. But people are getting more exposed to it, so who knows what might happen in the future right? :)
Yep, totally. A lot of stuff from the chiptune scene is hit and miss, but self-imposing those same limitations from that area does encourage creativity.

I am wondering if the electronic guitar piece in Grandia draws out the elitist in the host/producer, I sincerely hope not, the genre flexibility is the true strength of the piece.
They would use an orchestral arrangement of it rather than the original piece. It is Classic FM after all!

Remk

Nah man what reasonable person could hate on Grandia. I think you just need to keep suggesting it so they put it on the show :)

And looking at your avatar got me thinking that Shenhua would make a perfect fit for the program, you know what, how do I actually send requests? it would be great to have these played

Nah man what reasonable person could hate on Grandia. I think you just need to keep suggesting it so they put it on the show :)

And looking at your avatar got me thinking that Shenhua would make a perfect fit for the program, you know what, how do I actually send requests? it would be great to have these played

I also requested Sedge Tree (Shenmue main theme) from Shenmue orchestra.

Hendrixx

Neo Member
Hi all - firstly thanks for listening! Glad everyone enjoyed the show.

I'll make a note of all the requests and see what we can get in for the next show. Do let us know any theme ideas - what we could base the show on. West vs East, a look back at older games - that kind of thing!

Thanks again - always a pleasure to read the comments and see your support!

Remk

Hi all - firstly thanks for listening! Glad everyone enjoyed the show.

I'll make a note of all the requests and see what we can get in for the next show. Do let us know any theme ideas - what we could base the show on. West vs East, a look back at older games - that kind of thing!

Thanks again - always a pleasure to read the comments and see your support!

Grandia!!! seriously the main theme deserves to be featured :)

As far as show ideas, I think a gaming "through the years" would work great, collecting music that originated from the 8 bit era and move forward to 16 bit, 32 bit and so on, I am thinking using the Orchestral Game Concert recordings as a startimg point. .

And if you know / can share, how many people listen to the show in average?

Cheers again for all the effort on the show, Hendrixx :)
Grandia!!! seriously the main theme deserves to be featured :)

As far as show ideas, I think a gaming "through the years" would work great, collecting music that originated from the 8 bit era and move forward to 16 bit, 32 bit and so on, I am thinking using the Orchestral Game Concert recordings as a startimg point. .

And if you know / can share, how many people listen to the show in average?
Alexander Armstrong, whose show is on just before it, does around half a million listeners according to these figures from Feb 2015:

http://www.classicfm.com/music-news/latest-news/rajar-audience-classic-fm/#62qo7hqxz0QMBv4T.97

mclem

Delighted that they're making these regular things, now. And, to be fair, it seems to do quite well for the station.

Good shout, Lightning! New thread for new news or the saying goes, eh? I'll post a new one in a minute with an updated countdown for those overseas.

Top Bottom