• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Cold War open beta this weekend on PS4 (XBOX & PC on 15th)

Shmunter

I love how turning off crossplay gives you a warning that it will take longer to finds games. It never had that problem before on COD without crossplay. You can play Black Ops 3 or Infinite Warfare right now and have no problems finding games. Even Black Ops 2.

They’re purposely giving you limited player pools to push this overrated crossplay garbage.
That’s the thing, it’s highly likely you’re getting matched to only players with it also disabled. Which would be a significantly lower pool than the users that just leave the default enabled. Before all this, it was everyone on the platform that was accessible.

If this is how things are going to roll, then at least take these games out of the ps+ paywall like free to play. Won’t make any difference to a paying member, but at least fair is fair.

Hope more stink is made of this debacle.

Shmunter

Fortnite does it and it's a huge success. It's not going anywhere and will only become more prolific.

If you want a premium experience - I'd suggest playing on PC not some shitty console. There is nothing premium about online multiplayer on a console.
Fortnite and your juvenile comments go hand in hand. Congratulations, it’s a match.

manfestival

I guess a few thoughts. As a person that has only played the beta of BLOPS4 and about 19 days worth of gametime(not indication of true skill but I do at least pub stomp pretty often in my skill bracket with all of these nuke flexing kids) in CODMW. So this is more of an A-B comparison for me since I hold MW so highly. I played over 1k hours of COD1 and COD 2 each. Then I put about 500 in CODMW1 and dropped off from there since I only cared for the SP of MW2/3. I played like 20 hours of WAW. CODMW is my first real foray into the franchise in years.

Sound: Probably the weakest part of the game. Guns and explosions sound muted. Maybe my ears are so fine tuned to the deafening sounds of CODMW that this game just sounds "low" in comparison. Guns don't have that bite and have a more "thuddish" sound. This is what I like the least about the game. The positioning might actually sound better than MW. I could immediately tell where things were happening as opposed to me having to train my ears to the way things sounded in MW. I did like that Helicopters and killstreaks did not destroy my ear drums.

Graphics: They seem fine. I haven't really followed up too much on the game since I am plenty content with the game. Some areas have that graphical feel of like Battlefront 2. What is mean is that it seems like they implemented the same kind of tactics to achieve that higher level of graphical fidelity. I think if anything, I find the miami map to be weird. So it looks fine as a whole but there is something that I can't quite put my finger on that is off to me. I want to say it is the art direction but I can apply that also to the rest of the game. The weapon models almost felt like they were toy gunish looking to me. Maybe it is my lack of experience with the real thing(aside from the m4 and 1911 since I have fired those off).

Gameplay: Seems the "same=ish" but is definitely different. Same enough to hop in and do work but different enough to feel like a different game all together... within obvious reason. Personally? Not a fan. I just feel like CODMW nailed the gameplay. This almost feels like an offbrand shot at what we got with MW. Guns seem to show much more feedback but the recoil plots aren't as drastic as the visual effects seemed to me. MP5 shreds. Health bars? Meh. Seems like the TTK is like maybe 100-200ms longer(feels like BF5 now in close quarters) than CODMW. Just a different flavor but I much prefer the TTK of CODMW. Movement is there and feels fine. Though I noticed I would get popped by people in similar scenarios to head glitching but I would see less of them and it was frustrating. Maybe something that gets fixed in the final build but I doubt it.

Bugs: Way less buggy than MW. Even felt way less buggy than the current build of MW(which is still miles from release). That is hilarious and sad at the same time.

Matchmaking: Seemed fine, every lobby felt like a sweatfest. Level 40s everywhere.

Overall: It just feels like a downgrade in most ways from CODMW. The game does have somethings that it definitely does better but I think they are not in the places that matter the most. I really hope Activision keeps CODMW going but their track record says that they are going to stick with the status quo. Maybe Warzone changed everything but time will tell.

Side note: At least play of the game works in this one lol.

Last edited:
You know, every time I sit down to play this (and I pretty much religiously play CoD every year) I play for a few games, then my will to carry on playing just dies and I turn it off.

Im not sure if this is because its a beta and levelling up seems pointless or if its the game not pulling me in, but I just have no desire to carry on playing.

It's not SBMM as I'm still doing well in the games so I'm not getting crushed, I still manage around a 2KD in a match, maybe it's the killstreak changes but I dont seem to feel rewarded in a game.
This is exactly how I feel I'm doing pretty good in all my matches but I just can't seem to enjoy it , maybe after like a decade the cod fatigue has kicked in

Allforce

Lol cheats are such a tiny minority of the playerbase. Cutting out the PC side woudl just be such an over reaction.

Someone has never tried to buy a Cronus device in the last year.

Shit is widely used on console. They've been backordered for months and even the older models go for 2-3x MSRP on eBay.

Daffy Duck

Shit is widely used on console. They've been backordered for months and even the older models go for 2-3x MSRP on eBay.

Yep. Cheats are non existent, but these cronus devices? The are everywhere.

This is exactly how I feel I'm doing pretty good in all my matches but I just can't seem to enjoy it , maybe after like a decade the cod fatigue has kicked in

It's such a weird feeling, but I'm glad someone else understands it.

Last edited:

How does it work? I've never heard of them and it seems vague when im googling/youtube.

Edit: i'm browsing the cronus forums - this shit is wild. God I hate people who use this shit.

Another edit: good video for people curious. Holy shit how can anyone moan about cheats on PC?

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
This shit just pisses me the fuck off. These people need to stop interfering with every facet of society. Like seriously fuck off. I don't care if you wanna be a different fucking made up gender but stop trying to push it on other people and into video games that I want to play. No one who served in the Special Forces in the 80's identified as a transgender or any other of the 37 fucking made up genders.

And the devs of this game went out of their way to add this classified option to the game in order to please these people and they still are not happy about it. Fuck off.

It's the publishers and developers fault for entertaining it even one bit. They should just ignore the mob and make the games they want.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

How does it work? I've never heard of them and it seems vague when im googling/youtube.

Edit: i'm browsing the cronus forums - this shit is wild. God I hate people who use this shit.

Another edit: good video for people curious. Holy shit how can anyone moan about cheats on PC?

And those Strike Packs FPS Dominators that you could buy at Walmart sitting right next to the controllers.

Caught my nephew bringing his controller to my house using it once was scared I was going to get banned but nothing has ever happened

Watched him use it once at his house on COD MW and its straight up a paid cheating service.

Him and tons of his goofy ass clan buddies use these on the PS4 all the time.

Allforce

And those Strike Packs FPS Dominators that you could buy at Walmart sitting right next to the controllers.

Caught my nephew bringing his controller to my house using it once was scared I was going to get banned but nothing has ever happened

Watched him use it once at his house on COD MW and its straight up a paid cheating service.

Him and tons of his goofy ass clan buddies use these on the PS4 all the time.

Not going to lie but I'm 42 and at this point my mantra is "if you can't beat em, join em".

I do alright and have fun with my friends and fantastically average 1.0 k/d but I also use the PS4 Back Button attachment and Kontrol Freeks and the improvements those brought are fucking STARK.

I'm not opposed to using a Cronus but just haven't crossed that threshold yet until I know that it'll be compatible with the next gen of consoles (also not going to pay out the ass for one). There's other uses for it that are super neat like using arcade sticks on any console but I wouldn't hesitate to use it to improve in CoD.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not going to lie but I'm 42 and at this point my mantra is "if you can't beat em, join em".

I do alright and have fun with my friends and fantastically average 1.0 k/d but I also use the PS4 Back Button attachment and Kontrol Freeks and the improvements those brought are fucking STARK.

I'm not opposed to using a Cronus but just haven't crossed that threshold yet until I know that it'll be compatible with the next gen of consoles (also not going to pay out the ass for one). There's other uses for it that are super neat like using arcade sticks on any console but I wouldn't hesitate to use it to improve in CoD.

I feel you I am 53 now and already am behind in reflexes as if.

I used that Strike Pack while visiting my nephews playing Fortnite and honestly the added back paddles felt great.

While I didnt like the heavy aim assist it used (if someone was stationary it was 100% a headshot) I did love the no recoil and using single shot DMR type of guns in full auto, that was stupid OP.

My nephews have been using those strike packs for quite awhile now and nothing has ever happened to them.

I am getting damn close to that same join em type of crowd honestly.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Code:
https://youtu.be/tUndlk3Pt6M

Last edited:
Top Bottom