• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
As a first timer, I wouldn't recommend Grant Morrison as his writing style won't click with you immediately.

For Superman, just go for All-Star Superman, has a beginning, middle and end, AND IS overall self contained ;)

But... you said...

I've never really been into comics, but I wouldn't mind getting into them. I have read things like Watchmen, which I really enjoyed.

I'd like to check out something with a "traditional" super hero though, like Spiderman or Batman. The only this is, it seems pretty complicated to get into those. I would have no clue where to start. I actually really like origin stories, so I would like a run that starts with one. Is there anyway that I could read something like Spiderman, but where it has a beginning, middle, and end?

I would recommend Ultimate Spider-man by Bendis. Start with issue one and you have 100+ issues of classic awesome self contained Spidey stories done by the same creative team. It is still ongoing but there are definite story arcs that make natural end points, don't want to reveal more due to spoilers. Can be found pretty cheaply too either through picking up trades / hardcovers or by signing up Marvel Unlimited.

Other books worth considering:

Batman - Synder
Invincible - Kirkman
The Ultimates - Millar
Astonishing X-Men - Whedon (not an origin story but self contained and strait forward)

Okay, so, I will be checking out:

Casanova
Deadly Class
Nameless
Zero
Manhattan Projects
Velvet
Thief of Thieves
ODY-C

I'm a bit hesitant on Rat Queens, but that's cause I'm not a huge fan of fantasy. Not sure about Invincible cause superheroes... eh.

Which is strange cause I just realized that I read a bunch of cape books.

Don't forget
Black science
East of West
The Fade Out

Zombine

Banned
I can almost 100% guarantee you that Southern Bastards is the book he will like the most, due to what I see NTGYK talking about in OT, and it's the one book he left off the list.

kd-z

Thanks kd-z! Yes, it does seem like my comic did not fit the audience all that well. Still, there are plenty of things to take from the competition! Here is your requested avatar!

When I said "Heath Huston" I head completely no idea what take you would do and now I know that a somber, more thoughtful Heath is exactly the kind of avatar I need. You're the man, ed :) I'm totally gonna use this av everywhere.

Very nice. In a year or two when I'm not a dependent and own a home and all that jazz, I'll get to experience the joys of big tax returns. Haha

I need to be careful about my tax bracket this coming year too though. With my new job and the fact that I'm still going to work 10-ish hours a week at my old retail job, it basically all depends on exactly how many hours I get at my retail job whether or not I'll hit the next tax bracket. But I mean, if I do, I'll just throw some money in a Traditional IRA or donate some money and I'll be all good.

Why would you want to do that? Your current set up is good, you should have as close to a 0 tax return as you can. Especially when you will have a home loan interest to pay off starting soon. Same thing with the tax bracket thing. Why do you want to get pushed back into a lower tax bracket, especially by donating?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I was under the assumption that Marvel would try to stagger and control what releases under their leadership in regards to Star Wars. I'm glad they saw the $$$$ and are just going to release it all.

They are also reprinting a lot of modern and classic stuff.
I hope we get soon a OHC of Dark Empire, so that I can retrire my old, pocket booksized Dark Horse Hardcover.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I know most of it sucks, but I'd like the Clone Wars stuff.

Also Dark Times was great stuff. Yo lo necesito!!!

I think, Dark Times is already announced... Cancelled them as I thinned out my orders last week, but I am still very tempted to preorder again...
Edit: Yeap, Dark Times gets an Epic: http://www.amazon.de/dp/0785193987/

Its not oversized and bad Paper, but tons of content for a compared cheap price, when you take the Superhero Epics... Fuck it, I preorder it again^^

Ed! Thanks for the awesome avatar!

I think this is going to be the weekend where I finally read Manhattan Projects. I've got every issue, but haven't looked at them yet. The fact that it's Hickman and I keep reading all this hype around it, I feel like I don't want to read it unless I can really dive into it, which I should be able to do today and tomorrow. Woooo!

Laieon

Or if you want Spiderman, Bendis wrote a super long Ultimate Spiderman run that's pretty much his life from beginning to end.

Spider-Man. Ultimate Spider-Man.

Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus - Volume 1 (Marvel Omnibus) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0785164758/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0785164758/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That's over 1000 pages of spider goodness.

Or start with just vol 1.

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility https://www.amazon.com/dp/0785139400/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0785139400/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Then there's Ultimate Spiderman

I would recommend Ultimate Spider-man

Awesome, looks like I'm going to check out Ultimate Spiderman then. Thanks guys!

tim1138

Ed! Thanks for the awesome avatar!

I think this is going to be the weekend where I finally read Manhattan Projects. I've got every issue, but haven't looked at them yet. The fact that it's Hickman and I keep reading all this hype around it, I feel like I don't want to read it unless I can really dive into it, which I should be able to do today and tomorrow. Woooo!

You have chosen wisely my friend.

killing people? or do you mean EVERYTHING

N1rBZTc.gif

OMG DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL DRIVING A FUCKING CAR WITH HIS FUCKING STICKS FOR A FUCKING BULLITT CHASE THROUGH SAN FRANCISCO.

Literally most thrilling sequence in comics history.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
How do you think Hickman will deal with Dormammu and Shuma Gorath within Avengers/New Avengers? I know that Hickman is most likely going to start cycling through powerful beings and why they can't save 616 or their universes, so curious to know how these two will be addressed or they similar to The Beyonder, being outside of the Marvel universes since they are in their own dimensions.

So many ideas and concepts in Doom Patrol. I love it. In the painting that ate Paris arc and it's awesome. Fascinating that the story actually incorporates DC characters even though it's Vertigo.

Zombine

Banned
McFarline Toys has to get their shit straight. Their Walking Dead line is great, but they aren't hitting character releases in a timely fashion. They have yet to make a Tyreese, yet they re-hashed Jesus using parts from Glen/Michonne and a re-sculpted head from the Skybound release. Then they throw in a stupid original "pin coushion" zombie. Abraham and Carl are the only high points of the wave coming out in July/August.

Owzers

I'm getting typecast, i have a very cheery disposition.

also....sign me up for Statler and Waldorf with one holding up a small $4.99 sign like a scorecard?

OMG DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL DRIVING A FUCKING CAR WITH HIS FUCKING STICKS FOR A FUCKING BULLITT CHASE THROUGH SAN FRANCISCO.

Literally most thrilling sequence in comics history.

his face when he slams the car down, like "yeah nigga...I just did that shit. Hold dat L"

i still haven't thought of an avatar yet ed...hmmmmmmmmmm

its easy, just think of a comic book that you lik--

....oh

kd-z

Read Casanova: Acedia #1 and it was good stuff. The colors were stunning, but in general it's difficult to say much after such a short read. I'm definitely intrigued, though. I take it there are a couple hardcover volumes of previous Casanova comics and I should buy (and maybe read?) all of them?

But the ads for other Image comics at the back made me go "man, they really are putting a ton of interesting stuff out, aren't they?" I want to read every one of those books!

Read Casanova: Acedia #1 and it was good stuff. The colors were stunning, but in general it's difficult to say much after such a short read. I'm definitely intrigued, though. I take it there are a couple hardcover volumes of previous Casanova comics and I should buy (and maybe read?) all of them?

maybe totally definitely?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

But the ads for other Image comics at the back made me go "man, they really are putting a ton of interesting stuff out, aren't they?" I want to read every one of those books!
Yeah, there are three previous arcs, and you definitely should read them to contextualize all that's going on in Acedia. Also, you'll be reading through Fraction creating everything that makes him Modern Fraction, in terms of his storytelling kraft (Elnarez had a good post on that).

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Why would you want to do that? Your current set up is good, you should have as close to a 0 tax return as you can. Especially when you will have a home loan interest to pay off starting soon. Same thing with the tax bracket thing. Why do you want to get pushed back into a lower tax bracket, especially by donating?

Yeah, I know in practical terms paying the correct amount of taxes all year is better than overpaying and getting a lump sum back, but getting lump sums is great fun.

And actually, just did the calculations with the 2015 tax brackets and I guess they've made it so that there's no sudden jump in taxes once you move from one tax bracket to another. It's just a gradual rise. (Link to the 2015 tax bracket in case you're interested)
So yeah, disregard that. Looks like it makes no difference which tax bracket I end up in.

Top Bottom