• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

ElNarez

Banned
On Gen X: That's a dope team, a dope pitch and a dope idea. In a perfect world, this is one of the main X-Men ongoings and not just the weird side-book to Guggenheim and Bunn trying to out-dull one another.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
xmen_90__s_colors_by_amilcar_pinna.jpg

The X-Men by Pinna

Marvel are sending out a ton of issues to stores despite them not ordering any extra or able to sell them. Seems to want to make the numbers look good despite sales not matching them at all.
For @comichron and others: Marvel is shipping me 150% extra copies of Avengers #3 for free, 100% overship on Gamora, Nova, Starlord...

...Captain Marvel #0, and GoTG #14, matching Mosaic #3 with #1 (I ordered zero copies of #3), as well as Champions & Occupy Aven @comichron

Those November and December sales charts must be BRUTAL for Marvel to send out so many free comics to bump their numbers.

Roman

Oh yeah. I read it over the Summer and it definitely has that epic feel to it.

Also Jubilee fans rejoice! She will be leading the new Gen X team.

Written former colorist Christina Strain with art by Amilcar Pinna

This pitch sounds extremely promising! It's exactly what we need right now in my opinion. A fresh writer who does her research and deeply cares about the history of the franchise, and a story that isn't mainly about punching. It reminds me of early issues of New Mutants (2003) and I love that. Taking Runaways as an example of narrative structure is a huge plus, especially since she actually worked on that.

She also offers on-point advice on how not to be Phil Jimenez:

Does your history as a colorist influence your writing process in any way — specifically where it comes to working with your artist Amilcar Pinna?

Very much so. Overall, there were certain things that annoyed me as a colorist that I try to avoid doing too often in scripts that I write. Things like ten-plus people in panels, a million dialogue balloons covering up all the art, pages with more than seven panels on them… typical things that most artists get annoyed with.

How is sending extra issues out making sales looking better then they are?
Because people don't look at sales, they look at shipped and this makes that look bigger.

More:
I threw 45 copies of Mosaic #2 in our dollar bin. I've got 35 copies of Great Lakes Avengers #2 ready to go, too.

I literally don't want these free comics, they take up space and I get charged shipping. Does @Marvel reimburse shipping @DCD_Nexus?

Christian

Wouldn't it make more sense just to cut cost of issues to $3.00 and hope they sell better at a reduced price, instead of shipping butthole loads of free copies?? I don't enjoy DC very much, but I'm totally jealous of $3 comics.

Christian

So, if I'm trying to do a Marvel Hickman reading order, what SHIELD series of his is essential to that? It looks like he did more than one, plus some one shots?

Marvel are sending out a ton of issues to stores despite them not ordering any extra or able to sell them. Seems to want to make the numbers look good despite sales not matching them at all.
Ugh this is what happens when you make a lot of so and so titles and try to pump them out as fast as possible.

Also, stop trying to tank X-Men titles. That could help your sales.
This pitch sounds extremely promising! It's exactly what we need right now in my opinion. A fresh writer who does her research and deeply cares about the history of the franchise, and a story that isn't mainly about punching. It reminds me of early issues of New Mutants (2003) and I love that. Taking Runaways as an example of narrative structure is a huge plus, especially since she actually worked on that.

She also offers on-point advice on how not to be Phil Jimenez:
Are these all things Jimenez does? I'm not familiar with his writing. The word balloons covering art is annoying for artists but the whole 7+ panels or 10 chars in a panel is part of the game. Some pages are better off with that many panels and that many characters in them. Hope they only found them annoying due to deadlines.

Artists should take pride in difficult pages that have sense of scale.

Riptwo

Hearing that the new Gen X writer wants Chamber to make guest appearances pretty much ensures that it's going to have a place on my pull list.

Messi

I'm sure Olivia Wilde will end up in MCU at some point. I mean, if people like Lee Pace can get a role, why not her?

Her unwillingness to sign a long term contract due to wanting to have a family ect. She took a decidedly different path post Guardians. Small movies and lots of activism.

Roman

Are these all things Jimenez does? I'm not familiar with his writing. The word balloons covering art is annoying for artists but the whole 7+ panels or 10 chars in a panel is part of the game. Some pages are better off with that many panels and that many characters in them. Hope they only found them annoying due to deadlines.

Artists should take pride in difficult pages that have sense of scale.

Phil Jimenez is a clunky and awkward writer who cannot mask exposition to save his life, which is why his pages are filled to the brim with heavy handed text boxes that describe every character's motivations in a needlessly detailed and boring manner. The fact that his dialogue doesn't resemble real humans (at least on Wonder Woman) doesn't help. Neither are his contrived, bland plots and unreasonable resolutions. He writes the way an exaggerated fan would.

This is strange since most of the time these boxes cover his own frankly great, Perez-inspired art. I'm not too comfortable to post scans from recent comics, but take a look at his Superwoman to see what I mean.

I've had the same problem with him on Wonder Woman in the early 00s. His writing simply becomes unbearable after a while for me, and I've read a lot of books from the 60s, 70s and 80s, so it's not just the amount of text. He's clearly very poor at 'show, don't tell' and in my opinion should stick to art.

Owzers

I was thinking about getting the hyperx cloud stinger headset for overwatch to block out PS4 noise and how I could use it for switch online games too, then remembered what the Nintendo online experience was like and how it's not a real thing.

Maria Hill isn't in charge anymore after Pleasant Hill. She is just acting director with no power until her trial.

I said this earlier about Death of X, but my theory is that the original plan was for Cyclops/Emma to commit either genocide or a massacre, but it was later decided that it was too much or something when they started planning the stuff after that book.
But Maria still has power. Interim Director is still way too much power and she still has a lot of influence. I know her title change, but it doesn't actually change anything. Nothing about her being in her position at SHIELD has changed

And while it's obvious that the original plan was genocide, if they were going to write that, then they should have written that. OR clearly portrayed a more somber tone regarding Scott earlier when the books were starting out. DoX makes all these claims of Scott being like a mutant Hitler absolutely insane. They fucked up bad on this one.
Oh yeah. I read it over the Summer and it definitely has that epic feel to it.

Also Jubilee fans rejoice! She will be leading the new Gen X team.

Written former colorist Christina Strain with art by Amilcar Pinna
And there's the X-book we all needed

kmfdmpig

Because people don't look at sales, they look at shipped and this makes that look bigger.

More:

That makes sense, but I wonder what's the end game for Marvel The goal for Marvel and DC is to generate actual sales, not "win" the diamond sales chart each month. It's not like movies where a big opening weekend can lead to many more future customers, so I don't see what the purpose of this is. It seems like bad business in the name of a Pyrrhic victory that only fanboys would care about.
Maybe it helps a bit with ad revenue?

That makes sense, but I wonder what's the end game for Marvel The goal for Marvel and DC is to generate actual sales, not "win" the diamond sales chart each month. It's not like movies where a big opening weekend can lead to many more future customers, so I don't see what the purpose of this is. It seems like bad business in the name of a Pyrrhic victory that only fanboys would care about.
Because they want people to think Now! 2.0 has been a big success and want people to keep buying the books despite many of them probably getting cancelled in a month or two.

Roman

Because they want people to think Now! 2.0 has been a big success and want people to keep buying the books despite many of them probably getting cancelled in a month or two.

Higgins has also been talking about them pulling some shenanigans to be able to claim Champions #1 is the best selling* comic book for October. I don't remember the details, though. So yes, the "optics" are important to the publishers.

Higgins has also been talking about them pulling some shenanigans to be able to claim Champions #1 is the best selling* comic book for October. I don't remember the details, though.
It was part of a loot crate, scholastic and a bunch of other things(as was Sorcerers Supreme IIRC) and it still didn't ship as many as the Big Trouble/Escape From New York first issue that was also part of a loot crate.

The book that did the best without any loot crates or deals was Dark Knight III The Master Race IIRC.

Top Bottom