• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| - November is SPANKSGIVING! 30 Days of Appreciating Funnybooks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
they're riding that for all its worth. Red Lanterns its separate book, Larfleeze back-up in Threshold, New Guardians rainbow team-up. I liked it at first, was a fan of Rage of the Red Lanterns, and some of the early stuff...

I don't mind the multi-color lanterns, but they need to shelve them for a while.

Did anything ever become of Lobo and the red ring?

demented

I'm thinking about starting to read spiderman. I'm not quite sure where to start, maybe find some list of important story arcs and TPBs and get those, I read x men in chronological order and I skipped shitload of it, pretty much passed everything pre late 90s because didn't like art style or writing, but not sure what's the best way for spidey.

Any advice? Any website which can get me started with names, list or something?

I'm thinking about starting to read spiderman. I'm not quite sure where to start, maybe find some list of important story arcs and TPBs and get those, I read x men in chronological order and I skipped shitload of it, pretty much passed everything pre late 90s because didn't like art style or writing, but not sure what's the best way for spidey.

Do you want to read it from the beginning OR do you want a jumping on point for the current series?

I just finished the first 6 issues of Batman. The art is pretty damn good, especially when Bats is in costume. I can't believe I've been missing out on this.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

If you wanna go OG just get the Marvel Masterworks volumes. Reprints of all the originals. I haven't read the Spider Man ones but if they're as nice as the X-Men ones you can't go wrong.

The ending to JLD was crazy. And Janin confirmed that Lemire is it leaving and was misquoted.

Read the first issue of 82 Firestorm series, fucking great comic.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If you wanna go OG just get the Marvel Masterworks volumes. Reprints of all the originals. I haven't read the Spider Man ones but if they're as nice as the X-Men ones you can't go wrong.

Pretty much, you can read the original Stan Lee stuff then just the essentials and skip to current day run.

demented

Do you want to read it from the beginning OR do you want a jumping on point for the current series?
Well both kinda. While I appreciate old stuff I really don't want to read it so stuff from 60s, 70s, even 80s and 90s I'll mainly pass or read what happened on wiki. Maybe just most important issues but so far Batman was only one where I loved old stuff too, I have specific/weird(maybe) taste which you can read more about at bottom.
Pretty much, you can read the original Stan Lee stuff then just the essentials and skip to current day run.
Think I'll do that, thanks!

I might be the only person in the world(of neogaf) that doesn't like sandman. I tried reading it since it was recommended everywhere while ago when I got into comics but that art style thew me away so hard and nothing interesting was happening so I quit it. Maybe I'll give it another go eventually.

(pls no hate, me has poor comic taste :3)

Stage On

Your best bet is to start with the current run which began in Spider-man: Big time, it's nearest easy jumping on point. Everything since then has all been building towards issue #700

Spider-Man: Big Time collects #648-#651
Spider-Man: Matters of Life and Death collects #652-#654, #654.1, and #655-#657
Spider-Man: The Fantastic Spider-Man collects #658-#660
Spider-Man: The Return of Anti-Venom collects #663-#665, plus backups from #660 and #662-#665
Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Island: Infested collects backups from #660 and #662-#665
Spider-Man: Spider-Island collects #666-#673 and backups from #660 and #662-#665
Spider-Man: Flying Blind collects #674-#676
Spider-Man: Trouble on the Horizon collects #678-#681 and #679.1

The only two runs in the top 10 that are sort of surprising were Y: The Last Man and Morrison's Batman.

CBR readers really love Morrison. I like his stuff too, but 6 runs in the top 50?

I voted for three(JLA, New X-men, and Doom Patrol). Dude is good, man(although I don't know where his Batman will land when it's all said and done).

3 things, John Byrne's Superman run should have clocked in higher, Snyder, Cappullo, and Clapion should be in the position Morrison's run on Batman is, and Morrison's run on Batman should be stricken from the list.

I am 100000% for Byrne, Claremont, and Austin's X-men run being that high. That was the team in place when I started reading X-men and those stories were/are amazing.

*Edit*

A 4th item, Palmiotti, Gray, and Conner's run of Power Girl should have been on the list as well. YES, yes it was only 12 issues, but those 12 issues were fantastically handled. Light hearted with character development and awesome artwork, how can you go wrong.

Orcastar

I might be the only person in the world(of neogaf) that doesn't like sandman. I tried reading it since it was recommended everywhere while ago when I got into comics but that art style thew me away so hard and nothing interesting was happening so I quit it. Maybe I'll give it another go eventually.

(pls no hate, me has poor comic taste :3)

You really should give it another go. The first storyline doesn't really give you a good indication of what the series is like. It gets miles better later.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Finally just got around to finishing up the last 7 issues of Abnett and Lanning's New Mutants run that just ended. For as fun as that series was at times they really went out on a really shitty arc.

Owzers

I didn't know that the guy taking over Demon Knights is the writer of the current X-O Manowar series that people seem to like and i'm ordering the first trade of. I'll be giving issue #16 a shot.

DCBS has Dan the Unharmable trade for half off, but do i trust TTOB's anti-gardenburger judgement?

I'm spankful Glenn Fabry is doing interiors again, but I have to say Steve Niles writing is really killing Lot 13 for me. :(

Like bad modern horror movies, or bad 70's horror movies, characters aren't reacting believably to the paranormal events occurring around them.

At least it looks good. Damn Glenn Fabry needs to draw more comics!

Nope, Lobo's ring was never mentioned again.

Oh well. :(

DCBS has Dan the Unharmable trade for half off, but do i trust TTOB's anti-gardenburger judgement?

Other posters here have endorsed it as well. :3

Acid08

Banned
The way Marvel split up Fraction/Brubaker/Aja's Immortal Iron Fist run into trades is such garbage. The third trade could easily just have been split between the first two.

kswiston

3 things, John Byrne's Superman run should have clocked in higher, Snyder, Cappullo, and Clapion should be in the position Morrison's run on Batman is, and Morrison's run on Batman should be stricken from the list.

I am 100000% for Byrne, Claremont, and Austin's X-men run being that high. That was the team in place when I started reading X-men and those stories were/are amazing.

Runs that aren't finished should have been disqualified. I suppose that Morrison's Batman and Remender's Uncanny X-Force are mostly finished, but I still think the strength or weakness of their final issues could have an effect on how the run is viewed overall. Snyder's Batman definitely shouldn't be up for consideration. We just finished the first year of that run, and Snyder has already mentioned plotting up to issue 29. I don't expect the quality to drop off, but no one knows where it is going at this point, or if it will have any lasting impact on the character beyond right now. Lots of hyped runs sort of lose steam halfway through and end up forgotten

Is reading Chris Claremont's X-Men run worth it? I tried reading the first few issues of his New Mutants run and I absoluetly can't stand the way he writes these cheesy accents for all his charecters. It's annoying and hard to read. I'm actually thinking of going back and just reading Uncanny X-Men from the beginning but I figured there was alot of dumb 60s crap that i'd rather avoid.

i am ordering this though:

140887_s0.jpg

I want this.

Yes! Looks like Snyder has a long haul. I hope he can hold onto Capullo.

xoAcZ.png

YES!!!!!!

LiQuid!

Is reading Chris Claremont's X-Men run worth it? I tried reading the first few issues of his New Mutants run and I absoluetly can't stand the way he writes these cheesy accents for all his charecters. It's annoying and hard to read. I'm actually thinking of going back and just reading Uncanny X-Men from the beginning but I figured there was alot of dumb 60s crap that i'd rather avoid.

It's definitely a funky, corny read but a lot of cool stuff happens in those issues. I have been having a lot of fun with it. Like consuming any type of dated material, be it comics, prose, movies, etc, you just have to make concessions and accept it as of its time.

If you read Claremont's X-men, I always recommend starting when Paul Smith started drawing. Claremont changes writing depend on who his artist is, and he's MUCH less verbose with all his constant descriptions of what's happening on page like he is with Cockrum/Byrne.

Read it, starting with Claremont. It's absolutely worth it. Anything before Claremont though...
okIAQ.gif

LiQuid!

Ok so I just finished Gillen's Journey Into Mystery. Holy crapola. You don't really get a sense for how well plotted it was until the massive amount of payoff in the last arc.

Read it, starting with Claremont. It's absolutely worth it. Anything before Claremont though...
okIAQ.gif

haha I rented Essential X-Men from my library and read the first issue. I can't wait to read more about the adventures of Slim Summers and Marvel Girl with her amazing TELEPORTATION powers. Next issue: The Vanisher!

There's nothing wrong with Bachalo's illustration. Unless he colored this himself. It's the weird colored lines in her hair. Looks like wood, not hair.

He did. it's a real problem with his WatXM stuff. I don't get it. Even when he gets a Tim Townsend ink, he still goes back and colors it himself. Do they work in the same studio or something?

I'm very entertained. A friend just purchased a large portion of Hickman's fantastic four and she's sitting here reading it, exclaiming in confusion at everything. "What the hell? He ignores his hot wife to go intellectually masturbate himself, and they have a basement full of a thousand universes' worth of lobotomized Doom? That's creepy as fuck. And what's a celestial?" Ahahahaha.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Bachalo is one of the few dudes that make Iceman look like a man made of Ice, constantly chipping away and regrowing with his every move. Most of time, he looks like the Silver Surfer's twin brother.

340992-145858-iceman_large.jpg

one of the reasons why i love his art. but id rather have bobby "SS" drake than a slimmed up frosty the snowman

55 books for January's DCBS order? I'm never getting back to 40 books/month. This is ridiculous.

Tell me about it. I am a desperate mark for anything mutant, so I'll buy even the most garbage stuff like First X-Men. I'm so glad Legacy and New Mutants have ended because those books were absolutely garbage, but I needed to know what was going on with my characters.

Marvel is not making it any easier now that they've got mutants on every Avenger team.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so i'm getting through Marvel Cosmic.

Thanos: Samaritan
Drax the Destroyer
Annihilation: Prologue

-kinda weak, questionable art... not sure if i'm on board

Annihilation: Nova

-ok, i'm starting to see why people suggested this! really enjoyed this mini, hopefully it continues this kinda quality

I'm very entertained. A friend just purchased a large portion of Hickman's fantastic four and she's sitting here reading it, exclaiming in confusion at everything. "What the hell? He ignores his hot wife to go intellectually masturbate himself, and they have a basement full of a thousand universes' worth of lobotomized Doom? That's creepy as fuck. And what's a celestial?" Ahahahaha.

i can't wait for a giant hardcover version to re-read it... it's the only reason i'm reading this marvel cosmic thing anyway.

one of the reasons why i love his art. but id rather have bobby "SS" drake than a slimmed up frosty the snowman

bacchalo does one of the best bobby drakes. him and noto:

Brah why would you read Sullivan Suggers when I read it? Brown Pride.

i'm shocked you'd even be interesting in someone as talented as stokoe

kswiston

so i'm getting through Marvel Cosmic.

Thanos: Samaritan
Drax the Destroyer
Annihilation: Prologue

-kinda weak, questionable art... not sure if i'm on board

Annihilation: Nova

-ok, i'm starting to see why people suggested this! really enjoyed this mini, hopefully it continues this kinda quality

Everything before Annihilation Prologue barely counts. Sort of like telling people to read Millar's FF when they ask about starting the Hickman run.

The main Annihilation mini is better than the 4 prologue minis as well.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
God, I do love the recent exploration of the limits of Iceman's powerset. AoA Iceman is pretty cool too.

yea, i totally dig what Remender did with AoA and acknowledging that Iceman's on some omega-level shit.

Everything before Annihilation Prologue barely counts. Sort of like telling people to read Millar's FF when they ask about starting the Hickman run.

ah, i wouldn't have read thanos/drax at all had i known that was the case. good tip for if i want to recommend the series to others. how do you feel the rest of the marvel cosmic hold up compared to the first Annihilation bit? worth reading through to the thanos imperative?

Wait, they included drax in the annihilation hardcover I have. It really doesn't count?

if i were to recommend the series to people, i'd probably ditch Thanos but include Drax + Annihilation: Prologue as the start.

Wait, they included drax in the annihilation hardcover I have. It really doesn't count?

kswiston

ah, i wouldn't have read thanos/drax at all had i known that was the case. good tip for if i want to recommend the series to others. how do you feel the rest of the marvel cosmic hold up compared to the first Annihilation bit? worth reading through to the thanos imperative?

if i were to recommend the series to people, i'd probably ditch Thanos but include Drax + Annihilation: Prologue as the start.

The quality is not even all the way through, but most of it is good. The original Annihilation was the best. Annihilation Conquest was my least favourite, but some of that was due to Tom Raney being the artist. Going from Andrea Di Vito in Annihilation to him in Conquest is a pretty big downgrade. I really enjoyed War of Kings, but some of that enjoyment was the pay off to events that had happened in previous X-men stories and a couple of Inhuman minis. Thanos Imperative was great, and probably the strongest series since the original Annihilation. The minis that preceded each crossover were of varying quality. Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy were good books though.

Annihilation continues some of the stuff started in that mini and the Thanos mini, but it would be like including Jenkin's original Sentry mini in a New Avengers hardcover. The Drax mini came out two years before Annihilation started. People had used Drax, and Siver Surfer and others in the years leading up to Annihilation, but Annihilation refocused Marvel cosmic, leading to 4 years or so of continuous stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom