• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparison between map size of MGS: The Phantom Pain and older MGS games

TyrantII

A few hopes:

3- Please bring back managing stamina with food and dealing with injuries. It would fit much better with real time passing and a much larger world.

People hated that micro management and needing to go into the menu system, But I do have to say I loved it.

It absolutely would work better here. Living off the land while on a sneaking mission, setting up camps, all great stuff that really hasn't been done in open worlds.

The other thing I'd love is a demons souls / watchdog sort of invasion system. Imagine having a random player in a VIP NPC skin working with or against you on missions. It could become coop, or maybe you're working to different ends at the same time (assassination mission vs extraction for the other guy), and even PVP (his mission is to track you down).

I doubt well get that, but we should.

DieH@rd

Banned
To be truthful, I'm more fearful about density of interesting things in open world map of Witcher 3... but, both games received very long production. I hope both will end up great.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
How much of that landmass will be meaningful?

It doesn't all need to be. I believe there will be everything from huge bases to tiny checkpoints dotted about the place. There'll probably be a mini base set up for BB, and maybe a some villages in addition to a ton of random things scattered about for exploring players to find.

I believe that missions will be fairly open ended, allowing you to pick a landing zone and infiltrate from multiple angles, which should really amount to a ton of replay value. Look at games like Fallout. There was a lot of empty space, but that was part of the world's appeal.

How is this relevant again?
Comparing map sizes between linear games and the first open world in the series?
Pure marketing bs from Konami.

It's like comparing Suzuka to Paradise City.

Because it gives us an idea how big the map actually is. What's the problem?

I'm gonna need a car.

Don't forget we'll also have helicopter access for fast travel.

This worries me. There better be a ton of content in that bigass world. This game and the Witcher 3 have me the most worried about there being a massive world that lacks substantial content to make it interesting.

Arttemis

Do people really want an open world THAT large that's completely packed to the brim with secrets and activities as dense as the linear games!?

The entire map isn't just landscape, it's a series of bases that differ in size, where the majority of the detail will be concentrated. The vacant landmass around it isn't intended to be as content-rich as those detailed bases; the open world is there to provide countless options for infiltrating a base. Sure, previous games have let us choose stealth vs. pacifist vs. action styles of play, we've always only been allowed to do it via linear, scripted path.

If you're looking for lots of content and things to do in the open world, how about try a completely different approach when sneaking into base. Enemy paths and routines will be different, the time of day will surely change things, and the geography will allow for new tactics (eg. like a road gate or a stack of boxes you can climb).

I'm sure there will be a bunch of easter eggs within the bases, and maybe a few hidden so remotely that only 0.01% of players will find them on their own (though, everyone on this forum will likely look them up on an internet list, go there, see it, and say 'huh', then complain about not discovering anything meaningful).

They show a 4km by 4km map, if it's showing just the traversable parts it's similar size to the traversable parts of Red Dead Redemption. But I think their image has been jigsaw pieced together and my guess is Afghanistan will just be about a quarter of that with the rest not physically connected to it in the game.

The bottom left and right corners might belong to a desert with sand dunes or something, not sure.

aW6lCMK.jpg

J Range

The whited out area does not have to be a neighboring country. You don't even know the whited out area is actually next to Afghanistan. It could require helicopter to get to, or anything else. Kojima is not going to hide it if it's friggin Iran or something, since when has he ever been that obvious. You're talking about a game with giant magic whales destroying helicopters etc, it can be anything.

Edit: Also what graphics horse said. Is probably not a connected map, just connected in the picture to shows easy to understand scale. Even more a reason why the other part of the map could be anything.

Do people really want an open world THAT large that's completely packed to the brim with secrets and activities as dense as the linear games!?

Why wouldn't we WANT that? Now, expecting that is a different story. Not sure why wanting more content would be bad.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Being large just for the sake of it is not impressive.

MGS games are known for huge attention to details, plenty of little easter eggs and secrets. I highly doubt MGSV will differ.

Dahbomb

If it's the same quality as Ground Zeroes then this would be pretty insane.

Somehow I doubt that but let's hope for the best!

KaiserBecks

Why wouldn't we WANT that? Now, expecting that is a different story. Not sure why wanting more content would be bad.

Hmm, more content (in terms of density) doesn't automatically mean more fun, especially in a military/infiltration style game. At least that's what I learned from playing Arma.

Besides: I'll take less, yet "handcrafted" content over copy&paste challenge x out of x stuff any day. But that all depends on how Phantom Pain will actually compare to Ground Zeroes.

That's what I mean! Only a few states border Afghanistan, so it's funny to me that the one in the game is being kept secret.

Are you still having problems with it? It's all of the areas in The Phantom Pain combined into a square shape. That isn't a 1:1 map of Afghanistan.

Mman235

I'd be sceptical of the size but that recent Eurogamer interview about stealth games with one of the producers of this game had them nail some of the biggest issues with the standard AAA open-world model, so I have high hopes that this will avoid them.

Hm, I'm beginning to wonder if this is actually just one of the areas in the game and even the hidden bits are part of the same region. I'll wait for the english podcast to see what they say.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm not so sure that Peace Walker had all those maps, I remember walking always in the same ones...

Servbot24

Banned
Map size has zero correlation to how good games are.

In fact if there is any correlation at all it is probably a negative one.

EBreda

Because it gives us an idea how big the map actually is. What's the problem?

Exactly. If he wants to give us an idea of how big the map actually is, compare it to other open world maps, not to the linear previous games in the series...
Like I said, it's like trying to show Paradise City from Burnout is bigger than Suzuka in GT, even though GT never intended to be an open world racer.

I was hoping that the hospital and Afghanistan would be two smaller areas like Camp Omega, and that Africa would be the big open world. Still cool I guess, although I hope there's some kind of location variety and not just desert and more desert.

edit: you guys, the other half is obviously africa. don't be so dense.

Who says there won't be smaller areas within the big areas?

Exactly. If he wants to give us an idea of how big the map actually is, compare it to other open world maps, not to the linear previous games in the series...
Like I said, it's like trying to show Paradise City from Burnout is bigger than Suzuka in GT, even though GT never intended to be an open world racer.

And how is Kojima supposed to compare other open world games to TPP?
Is he supposed to ask Rockstar for all the maps just so he can boast his games is much bigger?

We're talking about a game made by Hideo Kojima, here. It won't be large just for the sake of it.

Agreed. I may be wearing Metal Gear-colored glasses, but his attention to detail is superb and more times than not, his games reward the player for exploring all ends of the map and everything in-between. I'm especially interested in what story bits I can pick up when wandering some of the smaller village areas and how going off track adds to what I learn when I go from point A to point B (main objective).

What if the unmarked area is Outer Heaven and we're playing Metal Gear 1 from Big Boss' perspective....

...And David Hayter is still Solid Snake.

Sande

I can't say I have much trust after 4 and zeroes. Though admittedly I haven't played zeroes... but the fact I don't want to says volumes.
It says that you've fallen prey to the "lol cash-grab" choir. The little there is is some of the best MGS I've played. The unique content to prize ratio is literally the only complaint I have of the game.

It is kind of funny that Grounds Zeroes is apparently significantly larger in size than MGS2.

Valtýr

It seems the map isn't really "open world". You can see sections marked with large rectangles. So I assume those are the places you can go and see. Basically zones.

Kojima did not kid aroudn when he said that TPP will be 200x larger in landmass than Ground Zeroes.
Huh. I never took that quote to mean landmass.

Now if its Ground Zeroes levels of gameplay writ large - with replayability through side missions and different objectives I'll be in bliss. I just hope it has even more environmental interactivity.

It is kind of funny that Grounds Zeroes is apparently significantly larger in size than MGS2.
How is that possible? Ground Zeroes isn't even all that big of an area.

Tekku

Valtýr;114914467 said:
It seems the map isn't really "open world". You can see sections marked with large rectangles. So I assume those are the places you can go and see. Basically zones.

Hmm, where for instance? I don't think I see them.

Warablo

Maybe I am reading the map wrong, but Phantom Pain is a lot bigger than x200 times of Ground Zero. Does he mean x2000 times bigger?

Raonak

Banned
I wonder if kojima's recent boner for openworld will pay off in the end. Ground zeroe's camp seemed nice, it's big, but not big enough to leave you with long streches of nothing to do...

I was hoping the game would be filled with multiple bases which can be traversed countless ways instead of a literal open world, which seems like a bad fit for a stealth game.

MGS2 took place on a tanker and Big Shell.

The size of Big Shell itself maybe equal but the actual areas you could traverse were fairly small

Yeah and was built on multiple floors, which aren't represented here. Big Shell was about 10 times the length of a single connecting bridge, and most of the north half wasn't even visited.

Top Bottom