• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparison between map size of MGS: The Phantom Pain and older MGS games

co1onel

How is that possible? Ground Zeroes isn't even all that big of an area.

MGS2 had some vertical traversing too with multiple floors, so the map is probably a bad comparison there.

That said I think people are underestimating how big GZ was. It definitely felt larger than MGS2 to me. Maybe people feel it was smaller because it was all one area, there were no loading screens and it was more open rather than traversing thin hallways?

Raziel

TPP 360 version confirmed

rjT6Qnr.png

.GqueB.

Banned
The planets in Mass Effect 1 were pretty large too. It's not about the size of the map, it's the motion in the ocean.

Probably going to similiar to RDR. Shit load of nothing. lol

Not that it's a bad thing. If the traveling and exploration is fun then great. Knowing Kojima there's probably going to be a shit load of easter eggs, collectables, and a disgusting amount of small details. Can't wait.

Betty

Banned
Yeah that doesn't make sense to me. Pretty sure there was a lot more ground to cover in those games.

There really isn't; the struts and tanker have tiny areas to actually move around in, the holds are the biggest areas in the game and even if you put them end on end with the space of Ground Zeroes they proabably wouldn't take up one corner of that map.

Huh? The map in Ground Zeroes is more open, but overall I didn't feel like it was bigger than all the areas on MGS 2...

Just think about the Big Shell, you were exploring big boxes most of the time. It actually had a verticality to it which added to the area's size, but the actual ground to explore was very tight.
Kojima did a great job of disguising that.

That said I think people are underestimating how big GZ was.
I think people are overestimating it. Whats it, maybe two city blocks by two city blocks in an open world game? Its almost all playable space with things going on, but it isn't really a huge space. It still included some invisible walls (Return to the mission area), and only a few building interiors. Three supply rooms and the two areas of the boiler room.

biocat

Bigger is not always better, especially when it comes to map size. Seeing another Japanese developer try to jump on the open-world bandwagon does not make me excited.

co1onel

I think people are overestimating it. Whats it, maybe two city blocks by two city blocks in an open world game? Its almost all playable space with things going on, but it isn't really a huge space. It still included some invisible walls (Return to the mission area), and only a few building interiors. Three supply rooms and the two areas of the boiler room.

But it was so much more open than MGS2, which was all small rooms and closed in hallways. So while maybe it took longer to traverse MGS2 I really don't think it was bigger.

That's what I mean! Only a few states border Afghanistan, so it's funny to me that the one in the game is being kept secret.

Are you trolling? Clearly, the greyed out part of the map is not going to be anywhere near Afghanistan. It could be Russia for all we know.
I can't say I have much trust after 4 and zeroes. Though admittedly I haven't played zeroes... but the fact I don't want to says volumes.

I don't think I'm happy at the idea of an open world mgs at all either.
Why yes, it does speak volumes. Specifically, it speaks volumes about how little you have a right to criticize it.
How is that possible? Ground Zeroes isn't even all that big of an area.
Go back and try to play MGS2 again. The actual player-traversable area is quite limited.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Every piece of MGS2 had so much goddamn detail. Polished and compact.

I liked MGS1 and MGS3 map progression and design too, they felt like grand journeys. Especially 3 which didn't have as much backtracking as 1. m

Top Bottom