• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Shot In Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.
polyh3dron said:
I guess you missed the part where he has this idea that the government is trying to control peoples' minds by controlling grammar somehow.
Yes but he was mentally stable enough to understand that he was not in the center of conspiracy.

Gaborn

Clipjoint said:
jllrsc.jpg

Source? Or, alternately, how did you get his voter ID/Drivers License number. I'm calling it shopped.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Can you guys not quote that huge image? :lol

I don't see why it would be surprising if it was real. I mean, who seriously talks about gold/silver standard currency without being a conservative? Or everything following the constitution? What liberal is going to call out his college as unconstitutional?

If you just look at his youtube videos you get a guy who looks like a paranoid schizophrenic who has taken hold of extremist conservative views on the internet.

TL4E

BobsRevenge said:

I don't see why it would be surprising if it was real. I mean, who seriously talks about gold/silver standard currency without being a conservative? Or everything following the constitution? What liberal is going to call out his college as unconstitutional?
Or indeed conservative.

Gaborn

BobsRevenge said:

I didn't say it was surprising or not, I asked how he got it. It's not a replicable image because the site requires a Voter ID or a Driver's license for the voter. So, the question is where did he obtain either the image or the information. If he did.

Chichikov

Matthew Gallant said:
I'm saying that Patton did not fight for the Nazis, but the author of one of his favorite books was their best field commander.
Rommel was a professional soldier, he wasn't even a member of the Nazi party.
By most accounts Patton was a bigger dick than him.

Not to mention that his books were all technical military stuff.

Could be true. You can look up your status online with basic personal info. I just had to put in my name and DOB on the gov site. Doesn't have a line of what I registered as but I am not in AZ.

I only said Could Gaborn.

AZ website requires "Enter Voter Id or Drivers License Number or both." So, If true this would have to be more than just internet sleuthing + Print Screen.

Gaborn

ViperVisor said:
Could be true. You can look up your status online with basic personal info. I just had to put in my name and DOB on the gov site. Doesn't have a line of what I registered as but I am not in AZ.

Could be isn't is. Let's see the proof then we can discuss it. Until then it's bullshit.

after watching lots of news on people who knew him or went to college with him..

the guy was a whack job...

I hate Tea Baggers big time.... but the Jared guy was already fucked up way in advance even before Sarah Palin hit the national scene in 2008 (fuck me! I am defending Palin!)

he already hated the Gilfords in 2007 and attended a Town Hall where he got mad when she didn't give an answer to one of his warped questions (like imagine when you get a Chem-Trails type person asking questions)

so yeah, the Right Wing radio do spew lots of hateful shit, but this guy was already fucked for a long time IMO and reminds me of Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver by his lunacy

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/01/10/heavy-ink-arizona-shooting-corcoran/

The tragic shooting in Tucson, Arizona over the weekend, which left Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in a coma and six others dead, has been universally condemned both by Democrats and Republicans, as you would expect in any civilized society where violence and assassination with semi-automatic weaponry are considered inappropriate responses to political differences. But while even Sarah Palin -- a forceful opponent of Giffords who once published an infographic targeting Giffords through gun sights -- was publicly calling for "peace and justice," at least one member of the retail comics community had a different message: "1 down, 534 to go."

The "1" is Gabrielle Giffords, and the "534" are the remaining members of Congress -- both Democrat and Republican -- who have not yet been shot in the head. The retailer who posted this was Travis Corcoran, the president of Heavy Ink, an online comic book retailer based in Arlington, Massachusetts.

In a post on his blog, Corcoran continued to comment on the shooting by taking the bold stance that while you are in the process of assassinating those 534 political leaders, it is important to aim very carefully so that you do not kill random people around them, as that would be wrong.

It is absolutely, absolutely unacceptable to shoot "indiscriminately".

Target only politicians and their staff, and leave regular citizens alone.

corcoranshooting.jpg

besada

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Yea...I doubt that's real. You'd need his driver's license o

People keep acting like that's difficult. A publicdata.com account is $9.95 a month, and every private detective, cop, lawyer, and paralegal probably already has access to it. If I were at work, I'd do the lookup myself and see. Anyone willing to bang their boss's pd account to let us know?

Edit:Asking for a source is totally fair, though.

Gaborn

besada said:
People keep acting like that's difficult. A publicdata.com account is $9.95 a month, and every private detective, cop, lawyer, and paralegal probably already has access to it. If I were at work, I'd do the lookup myself and see. Anyone willing to bang their boss's pd account to let us know?

Edit:Asking for a source is totally fair, though.

Assuming for a moment it's real, wouldn't the media be able to get the same information easily? And wouldn't the media have reported it themselves already? I mean, especially with the political connotations around this story it'd be a VERY relevant fact.

Chichikov said:
Rommel was a professional soldier, he wasn't even a member of the Nazi party.
By most accounts Patton was a bigger dick than him.

Not to mention that his books were all technical military stuff.
OK, saying Rommel was a hero compared to Patton is a little more than I can bear. I'm fully aware of both their histories and the revisionism. Bottom line, he wore a hat with the swastika on it, and before that he was the Kaiser's boy. You should sell your Nazi apologist shit somewhere else, because I'm not buying.

kamspy

I'm late, but I can't find any info on the gun.

Did the guy take the time to reload? Not many handguns that hold 18+ rounds.

besada

Banned
Gaborn said:
Assuming for a moment it's real, wouldn't the media be able to get the same information easily? And wouldn't the media have reported it themselves already? I mean, especially with the political connotations around this story it'd be a VERY relevant fact.

They would, if they were competent reporters who knew what they were doing, definitely. But this is the same media that reported Giffords dead for hours, so...

It's probably fake, but it would be incredibly easy for someone to find out for real, one way or another, with a simple public data search.

Edit:And I see someone already did.

kamspy said:
That's what I assumed of course, but I can't find any specifics. If we get a new gun law out of this then people are really missing the point.
I don't want to live in a country where crazy people can't legally own fire arms.

Hartt951

I can't believe this thread is 55 pages long now and people are still debating over whether this guy was a right winger or left winger. The hatred between the two parties is at a all time high and that is the fucking problem! We are all Americans, and it seems like everyone has forgotten that. This is a tragedy for this country, and the shooter is a worthless physco no matter what party flag he flys.

kamspy

SimpleDesign said:
I don't want to live in a country where crazy people can't legally own fire arms.

More armed citizens in that crowd would have been a good thing. Lives would probably have been saved.

Gun laws only effect the legitimate owners. I'm sure someones tried to bang this into the GAF hive mind by now.

More fuel for the fire:

Another highlight from Mother Jones interview noted earlier, Loughner quit smoking pot a few years ago, according to his friend:

In October 2008, [Bryce] Tierney was living in Phoenix, and Loughner came to visit. They went to see a Mars Volta concert with friends, and Tierney was surprised when Loughner said he had quit partying "completely." Loughner, according to Tierney, said, "I'm going to lead a more healthy lifestyle, not smoke cigarettes or pot anymore, and I'm going to start working out." Tierney was happy for his friend: "I said, 'Dude, that's awesome.' And the next time I saw him he was 10 pounds lighter." Tierney never saw Loughner smoke marijuana again, and he was surprised at media reports that Loughner had been rejected from the military in 2009 for failing a drug test: "He was clean, clean. I saw him after that continuously. He would not do it."

Interview in question: http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/01/jared-lee-loughner-friend-voicemail-phone-message?page=1

I think this interview says the most about Loughner, in terms of how he interacted in reality. This kid was probably someone combing the obscure reaches of the internet in his private life, and at times challenging reality with the blunt weapons of his non-sensical ideas.

Really, what you can get from the Mother Jones interview is that his motivations may be very much linked to simple humiliation: all of these ideas bubbling up in his head, and perhaps he thought it very profound to ask the senator in 2007 how words could mean anything, but instead her response (in Spanish apparently) probably ran straight against his ego. He does not seem to have been obsessed with Giffords, but to have held a resilient grudge against her, and his note after the assassination makes it clear that she was his target. Perhaps he felt, in a Freudian way, that he was "intellectually castrated" by an intelligent woman in public, and after reading all of the conspiracy theory fueled bullshit he could find online, she made a nice target when the time came to attack the government.

The right really has to stop prevaricating here. In terms strictly of his political ideas,

- ALL of the political statements that he makes in his youtube video, to friends etc. are based on:
1. Constitutional fundamentalism: ratifications (amendments? changes?) to the Constitution are false
2. Currency fundamentalism: the existing currency is worthless, so we have to make our own
3. Fear of language, mind control and government takeover

- One exception is his apparent atheism, which caused him indignation when an Army recruiter handed him a mini-bible.

A few quotes from his Youtube page make the connection to fringe right-wing thought apparent:

"If the property owners and government officials are no longer in ownership of their land and laws from a revolution then the revolutionary's from the revolution are in control of the land and laws."

"In conclusion, reading the second United States Constitution, I can't trust the current government because of the ratifications: The government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar."

Loughner's Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Classitup10

I think that once we see more from investigators about what sites he was going to, and what networks if any, he was discussing his ideas with, we will see the influence by the conspiracy theory wing of the right become clearer.

Evlar

Banned
kamspy said:
More armed citizens in that crowd would have been a good thing. Lives would probably have been saved.

Gun laws only effect the legitimate owners. I'm sure someones tried to bang this into the GAF hive mind by now.
Do you know anything at all about the current state of gun laws in Arizona?

kamspy said:

Gun laws only effect the legitimate owners
. I'm sure someones tried to bang this into the GAF hive mind by now.
he was a legitimate gun owner

Kifimbo

gutter_trash said:

What he meant is that it wasn't a "legitimate" way to use his gun. Criminals wouldn't stop using guns because of a law. Gun laws do not stop shooting like this one. See: Canada.

The fuck? How do more guns=lives would have been saved? Ever thought the possibly with a frenzied crowd and other people carrying, MORE bystanders would've been killed?

APF

How many times do sane people have to remind folks there isn't enough publicly-available information to say he even has a coherent ideology in the first place, let alone victoriously label him a member of your political enemies so you can better demonize them? We definitely do not have enough information to say this attack was motivated by partisanism, yet that begged question is implicit in the majority of the posts here. It's counter-rational.

kamspy

gutter_trash said:

In what sense? That he was legally allowed to buy the gun? That's not quite were I was going with that.

Psychos are going to be able to pull crap like this off at will if CITIZENS cannot properly arm themselves. Police and whatever private security she employed obviously weren't fast enough to react. Maybe a citizen standing closer to the incident could have done something if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to legally carry a loaded weapon.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
The fuck? How does more guns=lives would have been saved? Ever thought the possibly with a frenzied crowd and other people carrying armed, MORE bystanders would've been killed?

Vigilant citizen shoots psycho.

Kifimbo said:
What he meant is that it wasn't a "legitimate" way to use his gun. Criminals wouldn't stop using guns because of a law. Gun laws do not stop shooting like this one. See: Canada.
restricting mentally unstable people from buying guns legally would seriously reduce mass shootings

psychos should be permitted to buy guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom