• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could this be the first real PS4 info? (pc.watch.impress.co.jp)

Raistlin

Brimstone said:
Sony and Nintendo will have a hard time competing with Microsoft if they make massively parallel game machines. The heart and soul of computer languages are serial in nature. To address that problem is a huge undertaking.

Building parallel computer chips like a GPU is a moderate challenge.

Creating an intuitive to program general purpose parallel platform is extremly hard.

J Allard has been correct all along.

The problem is that staying serial = performance brick wall. Unless there is some unexpected fundamental advancement in transistor design, devs simply have to suck up parellelism if they want more advanced processing performance.

kevm3

-COOLIO- said:
if the wii had better graphics than the ps3, more precise motion controls, and developers making epic-intense games for it, gaf wouldnt like it?

I don't care for that waggle nonsense, and if Wii was more powerful than PS3, it'd be 5 or 600 bucks right now.

1-D_FTW

DangerStepp said:
Oh well. Maybe they'll Twilight Princess Killzone 2 to PS4. lol!

In all honesty, if we're hitting a 'graphics peak', then why develop a new console with possible exsisting tech? Why not just concentrate on developing software, which will pay off as the price of the hardware decreases? Doesn't that make more sense than blowing the bank on a new box that is tailing on the end of a terrible generation and rapidly decreasing goodwill!?

Because perception is everything. A new box lets you start from scratch again and possibly reclaim the number one spot. You think Gamecube would be kicking sales ass right now if they followed the original plan and released the Wii as Gamecube peripherals?

andthebeatgoeson

davepoobond said:
thing about the 10 year cycle is that in the ps2's 7th year is when the PS3 came out. its not 10 years until the NEXT console, its 10 years of having the console on the market, like PS2 will be, since it has 2 years to go to meet that mark.
Another thing about 10 yr cycles is that it'll take a stretch for the most successful console ever to reach 10 yrs. What would it take for GCN-lite to reach 10 yrs? They can keep it on the market til forever. Doesn't change much from a consumer perspective. They still have a Harddrive and a bluray drive in it. I would wonder when it'll hit below $200. I would find it hard to believe it can sustain 10 years with the majority above the considered 'mass market' price.

I'm not knocking PS2 because 10 years is an achievement. But, in 2010, PS2 will be doing more limping than running. Things have slowed down as current gen has sped up and I expect this holiday to be the last significant holiday.

ElFly

Dali said:
I don't think any other manufacturers actually support their console like Sony has though. Great effort is being put fourth for the purpose adding value to their product. They also have a lot of 1st party developers so they aren't 100% dependent on 3rd party support. Contrast that to the Xbox and its support which was dead and buried almost the second the first 360 rolled off the assembly line. I think Sony and its relationship with its hardware is unlike anything we've seen so far so I've got to agree with Dave in that it's hard to say either way what will happen based on what we know.

All the first-second party Sony developers jumped ship to the PS3 the moment it was launched. Team ICO, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, etc.

The only big name first party title PS2, post PS3 launch I can remember is God of War 2.

PS3 will be lucky to get Madden the year after the PS4 is launched.

AndyD

aka andydumi
-COOLIO- said:
if the wii had better graphics than the ps3, more precise motion controls, and developers making epic-intense games for it, gaf wouldnt like it?

If it was all those it would be 500 or more dollars, and it would not sell they way it is.

andthebeatgoeson

Dali said:
I don't think any other manufacturers actually support their console like Sony has though. Great effort is being put fourth for the purpose adding value to their product. They also have a lot of 1st party developers so they aren't 100% dependent on 3rd party support. Contrast that to the Xbox and its support which was dead and buried almost the second the first 360 rolled off the assembly line. I think Sony and its relationship with its hardware is unlike anything we've seen so far so I've got to agree with Dave in that it's hard to say either way what will happen based on what we know.
What great support is Sony giving the PS2 this year?

ElFly said:
All the first-second party Sony developers jumped ship to the PS3 the moment it was launched. Team ICO, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, etc.

The only big name first party title PS2, post PS3 launch I can remember is God of War 2.

'And the PS3 hurdles the GCN to catch up to the Dreamcast.'

snatches

ElFly said:

madden 08 came out for ps2....

AndyD

aka andydumi
skinnyrattler said:

Hundreds of 2008 games released for it including new IP, and all major franchises. I count nearly 100 titles on IGN's calendar to be released next year, and that's just announced stuff. New bundles, a new hardware revision... still in production along with all its accessories... two years after the launch of its successor.

I would say that's pretty good, wouldn't you?

Meanwhile, XBOX releases for 2008 I think is 0. And pretty close for the Gamecube as well.

Dali

skinnyrattler said:
Great support? Like some huge ad campaign and billboards and AAA projects? Get real. Sony hasn't abandoned the PS2 though. They are still moderately pushing it to consumers. We continue to hear rumbles of new SKU's or a new price point to push it further. On the software front, Size Matters, was released this year.

Just to be clear my comments about "great effort" and so fourth were meant to be applied to the PS3 and looking ahead to how it will survive when the PS4 is released.

ElFly

Dali said:
Great support? Like some huge ad campaign and billboards and AAA projects? Get real. Sony hasn't abandoned the PS2 though. They are still moderately pushing it to consumers. We continue to hear rumbles of new SKU's or a new price point to push it further. On the software front, Size Matters, was released this year.

:lol A PSP port?! That's all the support you can name!?

Dali

ElFly said:
:lol A PSP port?! That's all the support you can name!?
Uhhh... wtf do you want? Sony is supporting the PS2. What's MS done for Xbox lately? What about Nintendo and the GCN? They have two other consoles to divide their attention between and the PS2 is the oldest and likely at the bottom of their priority list. The fact still remains that they are supporting it with moderate advertising, new SKU's, software, and possibly new accessories.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dali said:
Uhhh... wtf do you want? Sony is supporting the PS2. What's MS done for Xbox lately? What about Nintendo and the GCN? They have two other consoles to divide their attention between and the PS2 is the oldest and likely at the bottom of their priority list. The fact still remains that they are supporting it with moderate advertising, new SKU's, software, and possibly new accessories.

How much has the Xbox and GC been selling lately?

DiddyBop

i was planning to buy a ps3 next summer, but if the ps4 is just an upgraded ps3, i might as well wait for that instead of potentially paying 299 for a ps3 then 399-499 for a ps4 a few yrs later. i could just stick to my DS,psp,360 combo for now.

Dali

Oblivion said:
How much has the Xbox and GC been selling lately?
Towards the end how much effort did MS even put into making it sell? That behemoth could have used a redesign, which may have sparked more sales, but MS... wait for it... stopped supporting it.

Oblivion

Dali said:
Towards the end how much effort did MS even put into making it sell? That behemoth could have used a redesign, which may have sparked more sales, but MS... wait for it... stopped supporting it.

...and they stopped supporting it because it wasn't selling much to begin with. ;)

Oblivion said:
...and they stopped supporting it because it wasn't selling much to begin with. ;)

They stopped supporting it because it didn't make any financial sense to support it, I thought this was common knowledge around these parts.

Dali

Oblivion said:
That's why I said in my original post I don't think we know enough to say what will happen with PS3 support when the PS4 is released. Sony has a history of supporting its consoles, but they have also been hugely successful even after its successor is released. Would Sony continue the trend with a console that is much less successful?

Anyway, all this doesn't change the fact that Sony still supports the PS2 (in contrast to MS and Nintendo) which I thought was the point I was currently arguing.

cw_sasuke said:
2x ps3 power is by instant casual by 2011 ? u guys are ridicilous :lol

Considering that machine would probably be bested by any generic Dell machine in 2011, yes its quite a step down from what the PS3 offered at launch compared to the available hardware.

Gbeav said:
If this is true what kind of power does everyone want out of something that probably would need to be finalized in 1 1/2 years?

Plus I doubt the ps4 will be out in 2011, they can use the ps3 for a long time.
:lol

andydumi said:
Hundreds of 2008 games released for it including new IP, and all major franchises. I count nearly 100 titles on IGN's calendar to be released next year, and that's just announced stuff. New bundles, a new hardware revision... still in production along with all its accessories... two years after the launch of its successor.

I would say that's pretty good, wouldn't you?

Meanwhile, XBOX releases for 2008 I think is 0. And pretty close for the Gamecube as well.
:lol yeah..blockbuster title after blockbuster title... get real

Oblivion

Dali said:
Would Sony continue the trend with a console that is much less successful?

Of course not.

Anyway, all this doesn't change the fact that Sony still supports the PS2 (in contrast to MS and Nintendo) which I thought was the point I was currently arguing.

Sorry, just to make sure we're distinguishing the need to support a system, as opposed to simply wanting to do so just cause they're swell folks. ;)

JavyOO7

Sony is most likely going to go the most advanced tech route once more when next-gen hits, anyway. Unless they have learned from the industry on how Nintendo has done it with Wii. If they did, then I think twice the power of the PS3 is still pretty damn powerful.

Relax, you don't want budgets spiraling out of control and games taking longer to make. There's a time for that. PS3 should really be a viable platform at least until 2013 or something.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Barso said:
If sony go down this route then the xbox360 sequel will be the console for me.
I actually feel there is some credibility to this story. The PS3 is slowly killing sony and I am sure they would love nothing more than to move on. But a wii sized slightly more powerful PS3 will not be under my TV, thats for sure.
I have always trusted sony to push the boundries and without krazy ken I really do think sony will go the wii route.
They will want hardware profibility from launch and so will their shareholders.
I want my HD console to really push the boundries.

Get a fucking PC then. The HD consoles are already behind the curve.

Dali

Oblivion said:
Of course not.

Sorry, just to make sure we're distinguishing the need to support a system, as opposed to simply wanting to do so just cause they're swell folks. ;)
That's where the uncertainty comes from. Of course they are in it for the money, but where it seems everyone else is content to cut and run, start the next gen, abandon the old and begin anew, Sony has shown a willingness to squeeze every drop of marketability from an old platform. Exactly how bad would things have to be at the end of this gen for Sony to ignore PS3's install base, the cheaper parts, and lower cost of manufacturing?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
A follow up to my previous post, because the irony is ever so delicious.

1201080229.jpg

+

1201080229.jpg

+

DUCT-TAPE-3M.jpg

=

playstation-4.jpg

?

Quasar

sun-drop said:
lol ... and this sounds REAL to some people? really?

wake up.

Certainly the comment of rushing to market to beat MS seems laughable. The comment on the future of CELL sounds pretty bad..or is IBM continuing to innovate it on its own?

If the PS4 is only incrementally more powerful than the PS3 I will be extremely disappointed.

People saying that they would be satisfied with a relatively small increases in power... really? We're knocking on the door of photo realistic graphics, but we still need at least one more generation of hardware (with a decent increase in power) to truly get there. Even today games are somewhat limited in scope by hardware constraints- see frame rate issues or reduced texture quality in open world games. If these things are evident today, they will be glaringly obvious in a few years time.

What I really want the next gen machines to incorporate is more RAM. This is something they always seem to skimp on.

camineet

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
If there is no real power increase than why would anyone buy it?

edit: post above this one makes much more sense.

Even IF the article turns out to be 100% true, it only really talks about the CPU power.

Assuming PS4 gets what could be concidered a decent graphics chip/GPU by 2011 standards, it should allow for dramatically better visual/graphical output than what PS3 offers.

Then there's RAM, memory bandwidth, and other things that the article does not mention.

camineet

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:
Why would they go from XDR RAM to DDR3... ...In 2011...

No really. Somebody please tell me.

Makes no sense.

Rambus is working on 1 TeraByte/sec bandwidth RAM for 2010. That's 38x more bandwidth than the XDR in PS3 (26 GB/s).

At the very least, Sony could use GDDR5 which should be cheap then, like GDDR3 is now.

camineet

Banned
Poimandres said:
If the PS4 is only incrementally more powerful than the PS3 I will be extremely disappointed.

People saying that they would be satisfied with a relatively small increases in power... really? We're knocking on the door of photo realistic graphics, but we still need at least one more generation of hardware (with a decent increase in power) to truly get there. Even today games are somewhat limited in scope by hardware constraints- see frame rate issues or reduced texture quality in open world games. If these things are evident today, they will be glaringly obvious in a few years time.

What I really want the next gen machines to incorporate is more RAM. This is something they always seem to skimp on.

I agree with what you're saying about being disappointed if PS4 is only a small increase.

However even a significant increase (5-10x) or large increase (30x) will not bring us to anywhere near the capability of photorealistic graphics. Even the highest-end, most expensive, best-produced offline CG isnt photorealistic yet.

Realtime game graphics have a long way to go before they're even on par with average offline CG. It'll take at least a 10x increase over 360/PS3 graphics to even start to approach good quality CG-like graphics in realtime.

Pistolero

The whole discussion reminds me of that scary movie scene, when the teenagers, after hitting the man, start discussing the best way to get rid of him while he was byusy shouting I'm ok...
Everybody acts like if this was a sort of confirmation of things to come while it's been cleared ouyt that the specs part is a work of conjecture by Goto. PS4 will pursue Sony philosophy of launching powerful machines...why not ? They could very well be able to release an incredibly performing machine without bleeding that much this time around : Some tweaks to the Cell, with a beefy version made of a LOT of SPUs; a BR already available...They'll be left with the GPU side. The bulk of R&D for the first two components is gone. Not to forget that developers will be more comfortable with the architecture this time around.
Many people talked about the budgets getting astronomical, that's true. But I doubt it's the technical aspects that cost much more (though they've increased). It's the artistic aspects, the pre-production...things get more ambitious. And why would anybody mention us hitting a technological wall : I'll be very happy if the next generation rivals Toy Story's graphics without sacrificing neither framerate nor physics...and I truly doubt it.

camineet said:
I agree with what you're saying about being disappointed if PS4 is only a small increase.

However even a significant increase (5-10x) or large increase (30x) will not bring us to anywhere near the capability of photorealistic graphics. Even the highest-end, most expensive, best-produced offline CG isnt photorealistic yet.

Realtime game graphics have a long way to go before they're even on par with average offline CG. It'll take at least a 10x increase over 360/PS3 graphics to even start to approach good quality CG-like graphics in realtime.

Unfortunately, I think you are right.

For truly photo realistic graphics it will likely take at least another decade. Even when we reach photo realism, the amazing computational power needed will limit the applicability of such graphics in games.

Sigh.

Pistolero said:
PS4 will pursue Sony philosophy of launching powerful machines...why not ?
I think they will... but as for why not? Try losing more on the PS3 than they made during the entire PS2 lifetime (not to mention any profits they may have made with the PSP as well).

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Poimandres said:

For truly photo realistic graphics it will likely take at least another decade. Even when we reach photo realism, the amazing computational power needed will limit the applicability of such graphics in games.

Sigh.
You'll also get to a point where games will come out like 3D animated movies with only a few studios with the budget to produce the graphical blockbusters you expect once every 2-3 years. I'm thinking no one wants that.

camineet

Banned
Poimandres said:

Sigh.

I don't think we will see photoreal realtime game graphics, even in a decade. Maybe in offline pre-rendered CGI for high budget movies, but not games.

In 10-12 years, with Xbox4 & PS5, we would be lucky to get Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, in realtime, and that wasn't photorealistic.

jrricky

Banned
moe_81 said:
Mercs 2, Madden, and GH of the top of my head.
GoW:CoP is inevitably coming too even though its a psp port.
Just to make that clear, none of those are owned by Sony as far as I can see the argument going. Third parties (and the Wii?) are keepin the PS2 relevant (to some people), not Sony with cut and dry ports.

Wont comment on the (wrong?) article

Top Bottom