• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT2| Gambling, VACations, Giveaways & DDoS

defel

hey guys, new to the little CS GO community here. Old school CS player getting back into it. I play on a shitty Dell Inspiron, use an intellimouse 3.0 and my mouse pad is my sofa. still manage to pop a few heads now and again but the low fps really kills me.

edit: and top of the page

I just noticed your tag. Do you work at Larian? If you do, I just wanted to congratulate and thank you for releasing my personal game of the year.

What is the reason unranked matchmaking isn't in the game? Does Valve fell it overlaps with casual or that it would cannibalize ranked games or what?

I do, and thanks! It's always great to hear that people appreciate the work we've put in.

About the unranked mm, I think it's just one of those features that Valve doesn't see any benefit in to put time into. Or maybe they think it would be too casual so that people wouldn't care to get a cooldown on it, unless they would have them overlap to the ranked mm.

Spookie

Damn it seems OT2 has done wonders to the numbers around here.

It's a combination of things for me: the recent ESEA event and the new operation which has done a good job of easing me back in. As well as a new OT to leap in to.

It also helps that every shooter out this year has been fucking piss poor.

Rivitur

Banned
Rumor with not many legs on it but supposedly steel said it. (Probably trolling)

Dazed to iBP, Hiko out of C9

Spookie

EU CS GAF is pretty alive I'd say. Xizk, the gang and me are on the way out of Gold Nova, (Xizk is already MG I think) so we should at least get a 5 man group going.

I've only been playing casual so far, how do the rankings work in CS:GO? I know Dota 2 is MMR. Does CS:GO do brackets?

CoolS

I've only been playing casual so far, how do the rankings work in CS:GO? I know Dota 2 is MMR. Does CS:GO do brackets?

First, I'd advice against playing casual, it teaches and encourages A LOT of bad habits. Competetive is where its at.

You get ranked after 10 matches. I think there are like 18 ranks and the MM system will try to find opponents that are around your rank. What exactly helps in ranking up/down except wins/losses isn't really clear though.

Rivitur

Banned
First, I'd advice against playing casual, it teaches and encourages A LOT of bad habits. Competetive is where its at.

You get ranked after 10 matches. I think there are like 18 ranks and the MM system will try to find opponents that are around your rank. What exactly helps in ranking up/down except wins/losses isn't really clear though.
Question: in those 10 matches while you're unranked who are you paired up with?

Spookie

Oh yeah I've already noticed some big changes such as that you get free defuse kits and armour at the start of rounds, something that never happened back in the day. I realise it's basically playing easy mode but I don't particularly tanking my MMR because my reaction times are that of an 79 year old. Going from shooters with ADS and 'lazar guns' it's taking a bit of effort to get the rust off. :(

Morzak

It's after 10 wins and with the newest update it only counts 2 wins per day until you get your 10 wins. Yeah and I also would advise not to play casual play Deathmatch if you don't feel like doing comp IMO.

Man I can't get my Window smoke on Mirage consistently, the jump one is often to long and bounce back down and the running one at the last pillar I never hit.

MayMay

Banned
Question: in those 10 matches while you're unranked who are you paired up with?

It depends, if you win the first ~3 you'll get higher ranked (Nova/MG) and if you lose them lower ranked (Silver) opponents (before that - if you're solo - you'll get completely unranked opponents most of the time). And from there on out each win/loss kinda fine tunes your placement.

CSGO uses the Elo system to determine your mm rank. No brackets.

Odah

Banned
I kinda got bored and posted this trade:

4c65300774.png

I hope I won't get a tradeban for this xd

I'll probably put it down soon but still, I think its funny. hehe

edit: fuk, just read the rules again. Put it down. Why can't I have nice things...

Odah

Banned
Idea:

We should do a GAF CSGO tournament.

There has to be a pricepool too which could consist purely out of keys.

Example: Everyone who want's to participate in the tournament will have to pay 1 key. A reliable person from csgo GAF will keep them all in his inventory and the winning team of the tournament will win the keys.

Depending on how many people will participate we could even do a 3rd, 2nd and 1st place price.

Example 1:

We only can bring together 10 people = 10 keys = 2x 5 Teams = Winner team gets 10 keys = 2 keys for everyone

Example 2: Somehow we can bring together...let's say 20 people = 20 keys = 4 teams

Which would look like this:

ab2c804bf9.png

I dunno how to make the pricepool for this but maybe some generous people could sponsor 5 additional keys (who will be credited afterwards for sponsoring the tournament) so the pricepool could consist of 25 keys = 1st place gets 15 keys, 2nd place 10 and 3rd place 5 keys. 3rd place would be decided by both losing teams playing against each other for 3rd place.

Shittiest suggestion ever, I know...but maybe someone can take my crap idea and make something good out of it!

MayMay

Banned
I like the general idea, there's a Gaf server - so that one could be used for the matches. Takes quite a bit of planning though lol.

CoolS

I like the general idea, there's a Gaf server - so that one could be used for the matches. Takes quite a bit of planning though lol.

The problem is ping differences between US and EU and maybe Asia. Matches could be played at any time during one or two weeks, so scheduling should be doable.

MayMay

Banned
Yeah, that's what I thought.. I seem to be the only person in this whole thread that does not have an issue dealing with bad ping haha - I spend most of my days on US servers.

It'd be pretty sweet to have a tournament where ppl from US/CA, EU and Asia could participate. The Gaf server is US East Coast.. and that seems fair imo. West Coast and EU (as well as Canada) have roughly the same ping on there - with the East Coast being at a slight advantage. (Not sure about Asia).

Maybe the fairest way of doing things would be mixed teams.. so that there wouldnt be (for example) an all east coast team having the total advantage over everyone else.

Or maybe a BO3 system in the matches, where one game is played on a US server and one on EU (and last one - if it happens - maybe decided randomly)..

I don't know, just brainstorming a couple ideas right now. I'm sure there's a way to pull a US/EU tournament off somehow :)

frbrr

Or maybe a BO3 system in the matches, where one game is played on a US server and one on EU (and last one - if it happens - maybe decided randomly)..

I remember playing a cross atlantic match in some clanbase cup ages ago, and that's pretty much how it was done.

Both teams picked a home server where the ping wasn't too bad for the opponents, then the final map was played on an icelandic server

trolho

Neo Member
I've been going by what it costs for me here in Germany and I didn't bother to check if its different elsewhere tbh :/ where are you from?

And come play with us.

I'm from Portugal. And I just figured it out looking at steamdb. Apparently on Euros Tier 2 it's 10.99. On Tier 1 it's 13.99. As usual it's way cheaper in Russia though.

NeoFaff

Could I get an invite to the csgaf group? Always up for noobing around in Casual. I'm terrible in comp :C

edit: Don't know why I thought the cs groups were invite only. I feel silly.

ChrisW

How would we manage to get 20 people though without inviting friends, which then defeats the purpose & get over the rank issue.

I'd stand no chance against some of you MGE guys

MayMay

Banned
Looking through my friendslist (of ppl from CSGaf - and checking the CSGaf groups), I dont think there'd be a problem getting together 20 people from here.

But yeah, the ranking stuff is a good point. The team with Atsou would win the whole thing by default :> lol

Ludono

Looking through my friendslist (of ppl from CSGaf - and checking the CSGaf groups), I dont think there'd be a problem getting together 20 people from here.

But yeah, the ranking stuff is a good point. The team with Atsou would win the whole thing by default :> lol

Yeah but CSGO is a team-based game, just having Atsuo wouldn't be enough even if it is an advantage ;D

ChrisW

If someone could maybe look at the ranks of people and have some high ranks with some low ranks, so that it's more balanced and not two or three teams filled with upper tier ranks

Odah

Banned
If someone could maybe look at the ranks of people and have some high ranks with some low ranks, so that it's more balanced and not two or three teams filled with upper tier ranks

Fnatic vs. elevate all over again

anyways...could someone maybe give me suggestions on which headset I should buy? It should have a mic attached (or a mod mic) in the range of 50-100€ with extraordinary sound quality.

Any recommendations?

Yeah but CSGO is a team-based game, just having Atsuo wouldn't be enough even if it is an advantage ;D

We could do a tournament for fun first, work with a picking system where two team leads (highest ranked) each pick a player first. It works well on the Reddit community night.

And then we can see if it's balanced or too Atsuo-sided.

@Odah, I have the Steelseries Siberia v2 (€60 here) and I couldn't be more happy about them.

Lourio

Morning CS friends <3

anyways...could someone maybe give me suggestions on which headset I should buy? It should have a mic attached (or a mod mic) in the range of 50-100&#8364; with extraordinary sound quality.
Any recommendations?

I just bought myself a Siberia V2 headset as well. Super comfortable, great sound quality - can't complain. Also got them on special so that was nice too!

cresto

Funny to think this time last year, CS was the farthest thing from my thoughts. Now a year later, I am consumed by the game. I stop playing PC games more than 8 years ago, along with it, CS. Now? Now I am on reddit, this gaf post, hltv, and more. I bought a new PC for the first time in years. No more hindrances from that of a laptop. I've spent unthinkable sums of money on ingame skins that amount to little more than code in the game. It's been fun and it's a blast getting back into form when it comes to CS. I used to play 1.6 and CSS competitively competing in CAL, for those who remember, it's been some time now. Thank god I have an understanding GF otherwise I would most likely be back to being single by now. God damn you CS

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Fnatic vs. elevate all over again

anyways...could someone maybe give me suggestions on which headset I should buy? It should have a mic attached (or a mod mic) in the range of 50-100&#8364; with extraordinary sound quality.

Any recommendations?

I use the combination of this and this

Really good sound quality, especially with a sound card. And it's an amazing gaming headphone. I can hear footsteps all across the map.
They are super comfortable as well.

Here are two reviews on the headphone
http://www.pinoytechblog.com/archives/superlux-hd-681-evo-professional-monitor-headphones-review
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/172992-superlux-hd-681-evo-a-year-later/

The only downside is that it can be annoying to pin the mic on and off my collar everytime I get up

Or just get the Steelseries Siberia I guess

garath

Funny to think this time last year, CS was the farthest thing from my thoughts. Now a year later, I am consumed by the game. I stop playing PC games more than 8 years ago, along with it, CS. Now? Now I am on reddit, this gaf post, hltv, and more. I bought a new PC for the first time in years. No more hindrances from that of a laptop. I've spent unthinkable sums of money on ingame skins that amount to little more than code in the game. It's been fun and it's a blast getting back into form when it comes to CS. I used to play 1.6 and CSS competitively competing in CAL, for those who remember, it's been some time now. Thank god I have an understanding GF otherwise I would most likely be back to being single by now. God damn you CS

Another guy that used to compete in CAL :)

I feel you. I started getting competitive in FPS games in Soldier of Fortune 2 and Call of Duty competing on TWL and CAL. I got really heavy into CSS. My team did pretty well. We topped out in main. Nothing special but it was an accomplishment :)

I love CS:GO. I wish I had more time to play it. The game just feels good. Wife and 2 kids means I just don't have that dedicated time to play. I getting to mess around in casual because I need to be able to stop at any moment. Maybe in 6 months once the youngest is a year old and my wife goes back to work I can start playing MM. sigh.

ChrisW

So in the spirit of a new thread and how long it's been since some people may have updated their PC's. How about we share some of the upgrades that you've done to your machines or desks in the past 2 years up to this point, with maybe an image too?

I'll start, I originally had a 13" Macbook Pro Core 2 duo 2.4GHz which could run CS, but only at about 50FPS, but now I've got my baby (mainly used for work) but can give me about 230/250FPS with most settings on max :D

I also bought a new mouse mat and mouse just for CS :D

Bought a new desk too which gave me more room for mouse mat and other stuff.

PGRN5sDl.jpg

Odah

Banned
Last year in summer I upgraded my crap pc to a custom built one:

GTX780
i7 4770k
16GB DDr-3
G-45 Z87 Motherboard
750W beQuiet PSU
20€ additional cpu cooler
CoolerMaster 912 Evo case (pic)
The case basically has fans everywhere. Fronst, backside, left side, just amazing.
Has red lights.

This is my crappy mouse (will be upgraded somewhen in the future)

I recently upgraded my screen aswell but that was a bad decision since I heard that 120hz makes a HUGE differnce in gaming compared to 60hz and the one I bought still is only 60hz :/

I'm planning to upgrade my headset very soon. Next will be a new mouse and somewhen in the future a new screen (again, sigh)

cresto

Another guy that used to compete in CAL :)

I feel you. I started getting competitive in FPS games in Soldier of Fortune 2 and Call of Duty competing on TWL and CAL. I got really heavy into CSS. My team did pretty well. We topped out in main. Nothing special but it was an accomplishment :)

I love CS:GO. I wish I had more time to play it. The game just feels good. Wife and 2 kids means I just don't have that dedicated time to play. I getting to mess around in casual because I need to be able to stop at any moment. Maybe in 6 months once the youngest is a year old and my wife goes back to work I can start playing MM. sigh.

Nice, man. I remember being in 7th grade (2000-2001) and walking into a internet cafe down the street. It smelled of In-N-Out (SoCal) and the air was filled with the classic gun fire of AKs and AWPs with people shouting at one another. It really changed me, from that point on when it came to games. Playing 1.5 back then was something else. Lots of fond memories.

We almost won Cal-M one season and I pretty much stopped after that. College started up and I couldn't spend the time, nor did I want to living at the dorms lol.

I like that CSGO has so many options of competitive play, although playing with randoms just frustrates me.

I'll post a pic of my set up when I get home tonight.

garath

I recently upgraded my screen aswell but that was a bad decision since I heard that 120hz makes a HUGE differnce in gaming compared to 60hz and the one I bought still is only 60hz :/

I'm planning to upgrade my headset very soon. Next will be a new mouse and somewhen in the future a new screen (again, sigh)

Yeah. I just dropped $160 on a SSD over cyber monday and I'm kind of regretting it. It does nothing for gaming performance. I should have saved the money and aimed for a 144hz monitor. I suspect that will be a HUGE upgrade for FPS gaming.

Mouse is a big deal too. I love my Sensei RAW.

Lourio

Couldn't afford a new PC, so I took a beast of a machine from work - a Dell Precision T7500 Tower Workstation. Was an old AutoCAD/3D machine.

Intel Xeon E5520 @ 2.27GHz
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800
6GB DDR3
OS residing on a SSD Intel drive
300 GB RAID 1 setup for storage

I'll post a pic later tonight.

ChrisW

This is my current setup (missing two headphones):

Thats alot of cans! I'm just using some £20 SENNHEISER's

Last year in summer I upgraded my crap pc to a custom built one:

GTX780
i7 4770k
16GB DDr-3
G-45 Z87 Motherboard
750W beQuiet PSU
20&#8364; additional cpu cooler
CoolerMaster 912 Evo case (pic)

The case basically has fans everywhere. Fronst, backside, left side, just amazing.
Has red lights.

This is my crappy mouse (will be upgraded somewhen in the future)

This sounds like a beast of a machine!

Top Bottom