• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot, 4 screenshots

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The bottom portion of Sunset Vista in the original game does not have nearly as much red lighting as the top. Its definitely more yellow.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Since Vicarious Visions says they read feedback. I gotta provide some criticisms.

Sunset Vista/Lost City in the remakes is really lacking the red lighting, the filth/ageing on the stones, the murky and subtle moving water that really makes it pop in the originals. So I would really like them to apply that with not only this level but with others that had that detail as well.

I get the idea they're using the Skylanders engine and I would assume it is tailored to that sort of clean and polished asthetic those games had. I hope they can tweak it so the remasters could get the details it needs.

C4mA0SyXAAAvsq_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Ditto, that was a problem with some of the CB1 levels they showed too. I hope they'll bring back some of the exaggerated lighting and (for lack of a better word) grittiness.

BigEmil

Since Vicarious Visions says they read feedback. I gotta provide some criticisms.

Sunset Vista/Lost City in the remakes is really lacking the red lighting, the filth/ageing on the stones, the murky and subtle moving water that really makes it pop in the originals. So I would really like them to apply that with not only this level but with others that had that detail as well.

I get the idea they're using the Skylanders engine and I would assume it is tailored to that sort of clean and polished asthetic those games had. I hope they can tweak it so the remasters could get the details it needs.

C4mA0SyXAAAvsq_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Yeah some parts are too overly clean losing the originals atmosphere more

farisr

Very surprised by the efforts being put into these. Looks amazing. There's a ton of work done here.
Yeah, They basically only had the level geometry files. Everything else has been made from scratch, and from them basically looking and playing the old games over and over and analyzing them. Lots and lots of work especially since they have to replicate the feel of the game rather than use an existing engine or game code. Definitely not a remaster, but a proper remake.

Muninn

Banned
Because so much work has gone into this I am preordering it when that spend 100 deal goes live. Maybe with Nioh, although I fear that will come to PC sometimes. Could always get The Show or something too.

farisr

Because so much work has gone into this I am preordering it when that spend 100 deal goes live. Maybe with Nioh, although I fear that will come to PC sometimes. Could always get The Show or something too.
I have the physical version preordered, but I'll likely double dip with the digital version sometime later when that's cheaper.

Yup. Here's the same spot from Sunset Vista:

The new version is brighter as a result of having some sunlight shining in from behind the camera, but the overall look isn't dissimilar.

So you're feeling a bit better about the look overall, since the reveal?

I see some folks are expressing some of the same concerns:

I get the idea they're using the Skylanders engine and I would assume it is tailored to that sort of clean and polished asthetic those games had. I hope they can tweak it so the remasters could get the details it needs...

Yeah, ruins in general could use some better aging/mossy stone textures.

Temple Ruins in particular looked way too clean for my taste.

Yeah some parts are too overly clean losing the originals atmosphere more

On this Sunset Vista note, they should make Temple Ruins look a bit darker as well. IIRC it looked far too lit up in the reveal trailer.

PaulloDEC

So you're feeling a bit better about the look, since the reveal?

I guess so, but it's kinda tricky to know whether I'm adjusting to the differences or if the latest round of screens are more in line with the original games. When I look back at that first piece of N-Sanity Beach b-roll it still looks a little drab to me, but the screens in the OP are all pretty bright and bold.

Right now, I'm feeling pretty good about it all!

ramparter

Banned
I havent played these games and I still feel nostalgia because the guy was everywhere back in 97-98 media.

Is there a specific reason this game is PS4 exclusive?

Is there a specific reason this game is PS4 exclusive?

So far this collection isnt confirmed as a PS4 exclusive. And most likely wont be exclusive, especially not from a company like Activision lol that wants the money.
I can see a Xbone and Switch version too. They most likely wont talk about these until closer to launch.

They did the same kind of communication/marketing in the past with the Skylanders Wumpa Island expansion and diablo 3.

Yukinari

I'm really getting an Oddworld New n Tasty vibe from this game. And that's not a good thing.

Look at it this way, New N Tasty had butchered controls, worse audio mixing, an overuse of bloom, and completely missed the tone of Rupture Farms.

This collection at least has some respect to the originals cause they know how good those games already were.

ramparter

Banned
So far this collection isnt confirmed as a PS4 exclusive. And most likely wont be exclusive, especially not from a company like Activision lol that wants the money.
I can see a Xbone and Switch version too. They most likely wont talk about these until closer to launch.

They did the same kind of communication/marketing in the past with the Skylanders Wumpa Island expansion and diablo 3.
You are right it isn't, it just hasn't been announced for other platforms yet.

_Rob_

How does everyone feel a demo would affect sales?

If it were say 1 level from each game (perhaps different play styles), and they played well - positively. However if it plays poorly, or they provided more than a few levels I'd say negatively.

I do wonder how long until we get a release date; I don't want it rushed of course, but a window would be nice!

The level designer went overboard with the copy paste green bush, you can hardly see the stone surface leading the way anymore. It needs to be toned down when it comes to over-cluttering the environments. Plus the water looks complete shit.

Qwark

You are right it isn't, it just hasn't been announced for other platforms yet.

I remember reading somewhere that Sony still has publishing rights for the original trilogy, even if Activision owns the rights to the franchise, meaning that they can't put the trilogy on platforms without Sony's permission. Now I don't know if that applies to a remake of the trilogy also, or if it's just a bunch of bull to begin with. Input from someone more knowledgeable on the matter would be appreciated.

I'm just keeping my hopes in check and expecting Holiday 2017. However the game looks really far along regardless. I have no idea how they've completed 90+ stages so soon amongst 5+ control schemes.

I remember reading somewhere that Sony still has publishing rights for the original trilogy, even if Activision owns the rights to the franchise, meaning that they can't put the trilogy on platforms without Sony's permission. Now I don't know if that applies to a remake of the trilogy also, or if it's just a bunch of bull to begin with. Input from someone more knowledgeable on the matter would be appreciated.

Yea, because so far the only thing they said is that it's coming to the PS4. That and Sony said at E3 that they partnered up Activision to get this going. It's really weird that neither one of them said it's a exclusive especially Sony, who loves to constantly say if a game is exclusive or not. We just got to wait and see.

I'm guessing the release date is going to be announced.
Crates on the left side = Month
Crates in the middle = day
Crates in the right = Year

Erebus

Do we know if this is gonna be released on other platforms besides PS4?

EDIT: Never mind, already answered above.

Uhm yes they can. This games are build from the ground up new. So everything now is owned by Activision.
A lot of people give way too much weight on Sony in regards to this collection. Sony pitched the Idea but at the end its all done by Activision and VV. And Activision doesnt wanna miss money on the table.

Undrey

Uhm yes they can. This games are build from the ground up new. So everything now is owned by Activision.
A lot of people give way too much weight on Sony in regards to this collection. Sony pitched the Idea but at the end its all done by Activision and VV. And Activision doesnt wanna miss money on the table.

From what I heard they used Naughty Dog's map design files or something like that as a baseline.

Mugy

Activision would be damn crazy if they don't do this treatment to Crash Team Racing

The game is ASKING FOR IT

Roo

Normal Crash, Hogwild/Polar/Purra Crash/Coco, Surfing Crash, Jetpack Crash, Scuba-suit Crash, Motorcycle Crash, Bi-Plane Crash, Jetski Coco. It's quite a few different modes of control for one game.
Oh, ok, got it.
For a moment I thought you were talking about multi platform control schemes and I was like.. wut?

To be honest, it's been almost two years since the first hints of this collection started to show up from insiders here in GAF so it seems like they have been in the oven for quite some time now.

Undrey

Now don't get me wrong, I'm really excited for this (it might be my most anticipated release tbh). I hope if they do make a sequel (plsplsplspls), the story isn't just tied to isolated cutscenes and is more interwoven to the game like Twinsanity.

Top Bottom