• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 pulled from Steam Store, [Move To New Thread, See Last Post For Link]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
bloodydrake said:
EA has done nothing to show they can compete this way. Their commitment is to maximize profits to their shareholders...often at the consumers expense. They've shown they will disable older versions of their games so they can force people to buy incremental yearly iterations of their games. Their purpose is to benifit themselves..not to benefit themselves and the community.
this is nothing that should surprise anyone. valve is an independent developer with a sum total of 250 employees working in a weird commie set up where they aren't fired for saying hi to their boss. ea is an all-consuming 10,000 strong leviathan whose association with gaming is purely fiscal; they are essentially the middle men through which investors extract short term personal economic gain from an industry where the commodity happens to be video games.

the market has time and again spoken on the worth of steam, it's a true hero of rose-tinted post war capitalism. the little guy who conquered the world, yet never lost sight of how they got there. anyone can figure the relationship between the growth of pc gaming and its stalwart marketplace leadership by an independent developer who has time and again had pro-consumer practice at the top of their MO.

but this is big business, it was always a matter of time before a joyless warchest wielding empire attempted to rip the carpet out from underneath what valve have built. ea knows their user-base would rather buy from steam, therefore rather than developing a competitive alternative, they will simply forbid it; there is nothing competitive about this move in a pro-consumer sense. if valve is a fairytale hero of capitalism, ea is the cold reality, leveraging their weight to appease shareholders in a myopic move that is both against the will of their userbase and ultimately damaging to the industry they trade in.

graywolf323

szaromir said:
I'd prefer if Steam was an optional client, like GOG or something. Right now it feels more like a tool to squeeze more money out of my CC than something I really need.

so you're blaming Steam for your own weakness to their sales?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
szaromir said:
I'd prefer if Steam was an optional client, like GOG or something. Right now it feels more like a tool to squeeze more money out of my CC than something I really need.
What do you think Origin will become? EA wants Origin to become exactly like Steam. If EA could, they would have launched it with everything up instead of some pathetic 3 year plan chart to catch up to the competition >_>

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
ghst said:
this is nothing that should surprise anyone. valve is an independent developer with a sum total of 250 employees working in a weird commie set up where they aren't fired for saying hi to their boss. ea is an all-consuming 10,000 strong leviathan whose association with gaming is purely fiscal; they are essentially the middle men through which investors extract short term personal economic gain from an industry where the commodity happens to be video games.

the market has time and again spoken on the worth of steam, it's a true hero of rose-tinted post war capitalism. the little guy who conquered the world, yet never lost sight of how they got there. anyone can figure the relationship between the growth of pc gaming and its stalwart marketplace leadership by an independent developer who has time and again had pro-consumer practice at the top of their MO.

but this is big business, it was always a matter of time before a joyless warchest wielding empire attempted to rip the carpet out from underneath what valve have built. ea knows their user-base would rather buy from steam, therefore rather than developing a competitive alternative, they will simply forbid it; there is nothing competitive about this move in a pro-consumer sense. if valve is a fairytale hero of capitalism, ea is the cold reality, leveraging their weight to appease shareholders in a myopic move that is both against the will of their userbase and ultimately damaging to the industry they trade in.

This is the slowest and hardest I can clap, sir.

ghst said:

Thank you for the good read, kind sir.

Zizbuka

Banned
No surprise, it's what the big publishers do.

"Steam's very successful, we need to copy that"

Same reason there's so many generic shooters these days. Personally, I'm not about to install another client. Steam and GOG are enough for me. I have Impulse because of Sins and Demigod, but never use it now.

Hopefully the developers will let EA know they're unhappy about limiting their games to a much smaller market, and EA will realize their errs.

szaromir said:
LOL that depends. I had a Steam ranking '10' at some point in May. I probably should stop posting here for now and enjoy the afternoon though.

Really? And how is it a tool to squeeze more money out of your CC? Advertisements of sales? You do realize you can turn those off, right? Always there for you to buy games on? That goes for Origin as well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
bloodydrake said:
But they're not copying that.. Origin is EA exclusive, Steam is pretty much an open platform.
So far. They might very well open it up.

Eh, see, I'm torn. On the one hand, there's the argument of "Steam started closed and shitty, and look where it is now" which says that Origin could get much better.

On the other, there's the argument of "Steam was also a trailblazer. You don't need to innovate nearly as much, Steam already did it, just copy that"

Dunlop

The boner for steam continues.

Publisher pulls game for it's own DD system - sucks, mild outrage to be expected

on Gaf 28 page thread and counting

Dunlop said:

Publisher pulls game for it's own DD system - sucks, mild outrage to be expected

I love folks who don't read the entire thread and make a point they think is witty and original when in reality its factually incorrect.

REV 09

This is actually troublesome for MS and Sony as well. As the actual hardware slowly disappears, third parties will likely try to interact directly with the consumer.

coopolon

VisanidethDM said:
If they really plan to fight Valve, they'll need to do something better than that.

Valve has a lot of credibility among gamers; if I was EA, or Activision, I would simply capture the chance to sell my games on my own at a couple dollars more than what Valve was giving me.

I would make my offer the most attractive, and at the same time "expose" Valve's "greed" and lead consumers to equate them to Sony or MS.

This is exactly what I would do. I'd keep selling the games on Steam, but make a public statement saying "When you buy a game from us on Steam, you're paying Valve $15. So if you buy it just from us, we'll give you back $10 of those dollars." Or hell, even do the entire $15 at first and incrementally work back from there.

That way Steam looks bad (Edit: When I say bad, I don't mean bad guys, I mean not a good choice when you can get it cheaper elsewhere), but people who love it can still get their games there, and EA will probably drive even more people to their own client.

Burekma

Dunlop said:

Except Steam has a console-level fanbase, in terms of size. The outrage that's expected is therefore on par with a multi game getting exclusive to a competing console. Think Bioshock. We aren't even close to that level, though, from what I remember.

If this was D2D, or any other digital retailer the majority don't give two shits about, I'm sure we'd still be on page 1.

Oh, and we're on page 15. :p

iNvid02

you guys are forgetting good old retail games, usually £5 cheaper than steam at launch and now with EA's RRP pricing retail will be £10-£15 cheaper than origin.

I hope they(Valve) does something similar to what they did when Microsoft wouldn't let them give free patches to L4D2(they sold the entire game for $2.50 for a day).

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I mean, if you want to try and sum up the thread and end the bitching here is the only thing you can do:

If you are upset about EA pulling games from Steam, etc.:
1) Do not buy EA games. Not even on sale from Amazon or wherever.
2) Begin to buy EA games when you feel they are making an effort to please you as a customer. (I.E. When they put their games up on Steam day-and-date and don't pull any exclusive content crap)

They will see that their PC game division will slump without Steam and eventually change their ways. They're here to make money and if the only way to make money is through Steam, they will do it.

If you are not upset about it:
1) Go about your business, bro.

iNvidious01 said:
you guys are forgetting good old retail games, usually £5 cheaper than steam at launch and now with EA's RRP pricing retail will be £10-£15 cheaper than origin.

The bolded depends entirely upon where you live. Steam is actually cheaper with new releases at launch, usually offering a 10% discount for pre-orders along with including an older release or two for said pre-order.

Angry Fork

ghst said:

i like you

coopolon said:
This isn't really accurate anymore. You have to have the client running to download and install games and you cannot back those games up.
I don't have full games on Origin to check, but in the settings there's an option to "Keep game installers after games have been installed." Did you have that checked when you tried to back them up?

Dunlop said:

28 pages could mean it´s a very long sad rage thread, or it could mean that this is a very interesting topic to discuss. I would say that it´s mostly the later, with a touch of the first.

RyL

Banned
so does this mean my Crysis 2 deluxe edition bought with steam doesn't auto patch itself anymore because they cut the support ?!

coopolon

faceless007 said:
I don't have full games on Origin to check, but in the settings there's an option to "Keep game installers after games have been installed." Did you have that checked when you tried to back them up?
Yes. And I tried changing the folder to make sure I knew where the installers were being saved. After not being able tuo figure it out I did a search and found a thread on the ea forums where a few ea employees state that because they changed the install process to automatically install the game after installing you can no longer back up the game. I am on my phone so can't link right now but will later if necessary.

I you find a way tuo back up the games please let me know, I would love tuo be wrong since this was my second favorite feature of origin.

Enkidu

jaundicejuice said:
The bolded depends entirely upon where you live. Steam is actually cheaper with new releases at launch, usually offering a 10% discount for pre-orders along with including an older release or two for said pre-order.
As you said, it depends entirely on where you live. For me, Steam is usually almost twice as expensive as buying a retail copy and that's just too large a difference for me to even consider buying from Steam, no matter how many bonus games that I will never play that you throw in.

Enkidu said:
As you said, it depends entirely on where you live. For me, Steam is usually almost twice as expensive as buying a retail copy and that's just too large a difference for me to even consider buying from Steam, no matter how many bonus games that I will never play that you throw in.

And this probably applies to less than 1% of the market. It's really not even worth including in the discussion.

For most people, Steam is considerably cheaper, especially when waiting.

Dabanton

Can't blame EA as cunty as this decision is they know they have the games that you guys want to play.

Why not use one of their biggest potential sellers as the hook to get you in.

Littlegator said:
And this probably applies to less than 1% of the market. It's really not even worth including in the discussion.

For most people, Steam is considerably cheaper, especially when waiting.

No, I think Steam isn't all that great a service in Asia, Europe and Australia based off of posts about content restrictions or pricing in the OT for Steam. If you're a North American, generally it's a pretty great service all around, when you look further abroad, that's less and less true.

I apologize in advance if this has not been linked before:

1308102784038.jpg

So...I only own the game for a year?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dabanton said:
Can't blame EA as cunty as this decision is they know they have the games that you guys want to play.

Why not use one of their biggest potential sellers as the hook to get you in.
If Valve did anything like use one of their most popular games as a trojan horse for a DD service the Steam fans would uprise.

Echoplx

jaundicejuice said:
No, I think Steam isn't all that great a service in Asia, Europe and Australia based off of posts about content restrictions or pricing in the OT for Steam. If you're a North American, generally it's a pretty great service all around, when you look further abroad, that's less and less true.

Being an Australian i don't mind so much considering it's easy enough to bypass with the help of the steam gifting thread :)

Rubezh

Warrior_Keoni said:
I apologize in advance if this has not been linked before:
So...I only own the game for a year?

Not sure if they still do it but they used to charge an extra premium to extend the download period. That fucking sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom