• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 pulled from Steam Store, [Move To New Thread, See Last Post For Link]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stallion Free said:
Shakin' my head.

I already find it tedious to keep track of my online accounts for my consoles + Steam and GOG and I'd rather not have to deal with 15 more on PC.

Well you're just being a fanboy for Steam. Seriously Stallion, get your priorities straight!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Parl said:
Haha. They take it off Steam, but they're just encouraging people to use other rival digital distribution platforms such as The Pirate Bay and Iso Hunt.
Why do people act like D2D, Gamersgate, and Impulse don't exist?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Foliorum Viridum said:
Or a great community hub with wonderful applications and a huge focus on encouraging competitive play/co-operation in the PC gaming environment, rather than just giving you a .exe to launch. The store is merely a convenient way for me to check out the daily deals, new games for sale, etc etc and removes any extra steps I would have to take to visit their website.

That's how I look at it. That's why I love it so much. Steam makes PC gaming feel as social and relevant as XBL/PSN, if not moreso.

he doesn't get it. He doesn't have any friends there, he doesn't participate in community events, he doesn't use screenshot system, cloud saves and other cool steamworks features if Steam is just a bloated DRM for him. There's no use in trying to prove otherwise, it only strokes egos. Let him have it.

SapientWolf said:
Why do people act like D2D, Gamersgate, and Impulse don't exist?

because they offer me nothing except games.

Stallion Free said:
I have just begun to assume that people who can only see a DRM side to Steam have never used the community features/have any friends they game with online.
Probably.

Calling it "bloated" is just laughable unless you have a ten year old PC, regardless.

subversus

Foliorum Viridum said:
Probably.

Calling it "bloated" is just laughable unless you have a ten year old PC, regardless.

but man, 40 MB of RAM!!!! How could they!

szaromir

Banned
subversus said:
he doesn't get it. He doesn't have any friends there, he doesn't participate in community events, he doesn't use screenshot system, cloud saves and other cool steamworks features if Steam is just a bloated DRM for him. There's no use in trying to prove otherwise, it only strokes egos. Let him have it.
Yes I'm not interested in any of those features, don't you agree Steam app should be optional for people like me? If you don't agree, why do you get angry over other companies forcing you to install their crap?

Acosta

You know, I check Steam, and there are 2,813,844 at this very moment connected, chatting or playing and not giving a crap about any of this.

I'm going to join them.

EA can do whatever the fuck they want. I will do the same with my money.

subversus said:
but man, 40 MB of RAM!!!! How could they!
19 for me at the moment. B)

But seriously, that's less than 10% of what Firefox uses according to my task manager. If you're playing games on Steam you should have enough RAM for it not to be an issue by default.

scorpscarx said:
That's horseshit, Gabe is the boss, but the company is strong and equally capable to continue on in the same way that we expect them to.

Not necessarily. That all depends on how good the rest of their higher ups are.

ghst said:
what really isn't your genre?

I like RPGs of all types, fighting games, action/adventure games, twitch action games a la DMC, I don't hate TPSs, I like strategy games in single player, platformers and puzzle games. That should cover it.

I don't like WWII-inspired stuff, FPSs, flying sims, twitch RTSs, and social games. I have a general dislike of sandbox games (TES = good, GTA = bleh) and I loathe "make your own fun" Minecraft etc.

szaromir said:
Yes I'm not interested in any of those features, don't you agree Steam app should be optional for people like me? If you don't agree, why do you get angry over other companies forcing you to install their crap?
You have to load Steam and go to "Library". You never need to look at the store, community pages, etc if you don't want to.

It's by making those features fundamental to the Steam experience that Valve has had success and done such a good job at bringing the PC gaming community together, so no, I don't agree it should be optional. I think you're in the vast minority.

szaromir

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
You have to load Steam and go to "Library". You never need to look at the store, community pages, etc if you don't want to.

It's by making those features fundamental to the Steam experience that Valve has had success and done such a good job at bringing the PC gaming community together, so no, I don't agree it should be optional. I think you're in the vast minority.
So you're giving greenlight to EA to force you to install whatever unnecessary app they wish to "have success and bring the PC gaming community together in their games". Nice.

szaromir said:

In a perfect world I think everybody would prefer there to be no client requirement, just as folks would prefer a system like GoG for every service and game. That isn't the real world and no matter how hard you try it won't become reality. For folks like myself having a client required isn't an issue at all since I'm always connected to the internet and when I am not there is an offline mode (poor as it is). If you don't want the client then fine, you don't use Steam. But the very point you're arguing against those of us who won't buy games unless they're on Steam (BNet, GoG) applies to you as well. You won't buy Valve games or any game that requires Steam so your priority isn't the game, its something additional.

Stallion Free said:
Valve doesn't fuck around when it comes to hiring. It's glaringly obvious that the people he hires share his vision..

And not all people good at what they do make good leaders. Even if they share his vision.

Hari Seldon

Acosta said:
You know, I check Steam, and there are 2,813,844 at this very moment connected, chatting or playing and not giving a crap about any of this.

I'm going to join them.

EA can do whatever the fuck they want. I will do the same with my money.

Yeah there is no point in worrying. If the service sucks like most people expect, then EA will be forced to put their games on Steam regardless. If it is awesome, then great, more competition.

szaromir said:
So you're giving greenlight to EA to force you to install whatever unnecessary app they wish to "have success and bring the PC gaming community together in their games". Nice.
That's their right and if they want to go with that direction then I won't object. Why? Because I won't be using their service.

I pick and choose what I install on my computer and Steam is definitely worthy of that. No other DD service has come close to the things they offer, which is why I stick with them.

It's DRM-free, or software as good as Steam. One or the other will be the only things that make me go with a competitor to Steam.

szaromir

Banned
LovingSteam said:
In a perfect world I think everybody would prefer there to be no client requirement, just as folks would prefer a system like GoG for every service and game. That isn't the real world and no matter how hard you try it won't become reality. For folks like myself having a client required isn't an issue at all since I'm always connected to the internet and when I am not there is an offline mode (poor as it is). If you don't want the client then fine, you don't use Steam. But the very point you're arguing against those of us who won't buy games unless they're on Steam (BNet, GoG) applies to you as well. You won't buy Valve games or any game that requires Steam so your priority isn't the game, its something additional.
I already said that I accept the fact that Valve forces their DRM app on me if it means I can enjoy games available on Steam, I am willing to accept other DRM apps unless they're absolutely unfriendly.

subversus

szaromir said:

I agree and I get angry because their services are crap indeed and they're bloated, they offer me nothing or the same but worse. Why should I use them? I'm not saying that Steam should be mandatory. What irks me about the whole debacle is the fact that they omitted Steam but not other stores. I'm not bitter about Steam, I'm bitter about people who work at EA because they're assholes, so I'm likely to be unpleasantly surprised numerous times about EA games in the future. It so clear that they can't produce anything good and it's now completely clear that they don't care about me as a consumer at all. Because if they were they would make their service on par with Steam.

it's not about you and me, it's about assholes in EA.

I'm a bit more bitter about this, because I wasn't that interested in gaming 2000-2007 so I missed best EA years. And this new EA seems to be an old EA.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Gully State said:
And not all people good at what they do make good leaders. Even if they share his vision.

Do we have any evidence that Gabe is the only person at Valve that has both a great vision and leadership abilities? Especially since some of these people are vets from the HL1 days. Valve seems like a company with a very strong, shared vision.

szaromir said:
I already said that I accept the fact that Valve forces their DRM app on me if it means I can enjoy games available on Steam, I am willing to accept other DRM apps unless they're absolutely unfriendly.

So then you do buy games on Steam? I thought you don't?

szaromir

Banned
subversus said:
it's not about you and me, it's about assholes in EA.
And assholes at Valve, which use exactly the same methods as EA (store exclusivity, DRM app).

I'm a bit more bitter about this, because I wasn't that interested in gaming 2000-2007 so I missed best EA years. And this new EA seems to be an old EA.
Are you sarcastic? I can't tell. EA 2000-2007 was like the worst period of that company.
So then you do buy games on Steam? I thought you don't?
Yes, occasionally.

tenz0r

Just saw this on IGN, EA is basically denying any involvement in pulling Crysis 2 from Steam.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1176517p1.html

Posted below is EA's statement sent to IGN:

It's unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis 2 from their service. This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA.

Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service – many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.

Crysis 2 continues to be available on several other download services including Origin.com.

IGN has contacted Valve for comment.

HK-47 said:
Do we have any evidence that Gabe is the only person at Valve that has both a great vision and leadership abilities? Especially since some of these people are vets from the HL1 days. Valve seems like a company with a very strong, shared vision.

Which doesn't necessarily mean they're cut out to be the head. There are those that can toe the line even in a community driven company but there are usually one to two guys that set the pace and losing that one guy even in a company like that doesn't necessarily mean that their core will be the same.

szaromir said:
And assholes at Valve, which use exactly the same methods as EA (store exclusivity, DRM app)..

Store exclusivity is fine but EA is selling their title on every other DD EXCEPT Steam. That's the crux of the problem here.

subversus

szaromir said:
And assholes at Valve, which use exactly the same methods as EA (store exclusivity, DRM app).

What???? You seem to completely miss the point. I won't bother arguing with you anymore it's as effective as arguing with my left shoe. I'm saying it for the last time: Valve built a good service with features I enjoy and with a client that's not bloated. I prefer buying games on Steam because it's convenient for me. EA built nothing and they did nothing to convince me to use their service but they force me to use it. Do you see difference?

And again if you're slow - 1)Valve build a good service 2)EA build bad service. See - one service is good and the other one is bad. Bad/good - are you able to tell a difference between these two?

Are you sarcastic? I can't tell. EA 2000-2007 was like the worst period of that company.

Yes, I was sarcastic.

It's unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis 2 from their service. This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA.

Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service – many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.

Crysis 2 continues to be available on several other download services including Origin.com.

What the hell does this mean? What a vague answer. Hopefully Valve responds..

subversus said:
What???? You seem to completely miss the point. I won't bother arguing with you anymore it's as effective as arguing with my left shoe. I'm saying it for the last time: Valve built a good service with features I enjoy and with a client that's not bloated. I'm prefer buying games on Steam because it's convenient for me. EA build nothing and the did nothing to convince me to use their service but they force me to use it. Do you see difference? .

Gotta play Devil's advocate here. Yes Valve has eventually built a great service but they did initially force people to use Steam since it was necessary to run it with HL2.

3chopl0x said:
Can you read? It's Crytek at fault.

Crytek's fault for having an agreement with another DD service that violates new rules from Steam?

Let's not jump the gun and wait for Valve's response, but there's little to interpret here.

tenz0r said:
Just saw this on IGN, EA is basically denying any involvement in pulling Crysis 2 from Steam.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1176517p1.html

Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.

I wonder what "another download service" is? That almost makes it sound like Steam's agreement was broken intentionally so that it would be removed from the service.

/end conspiracy

Can't wait for Valve's response.

subversus

Gully State said:
Gotta play Devil's advocate here. Yes Valve has eventually built a great service but they did initially force people to use Steam since it was necessary to run it with HL2.

I started using Steam in 2009.

and wtf @ these new rules. Waiting for Valve's comment.

szaromir

Banned
subversus said:
And again if you're slow - 1)Valve build a good service 2)EA build bad service. See - one service is good and the other one is bad. Bad/good - are you able to tell a difference between these two?
Valve build a service I don't care about and force me to use it - bad.
EA build a service I don't care about and force me to use it - bad.

Really, they are the same as far as I'm concerned.

Store exclusivity is fine but EA is selling their title on every other DD EXCEPT Steam. That's the crux of the problem here.
Valve's fault.

I know its from some game, but I don't which one :p
Gobliiins.

Echoplx

water_wendi said:
Violates the new rules of Steam?
VisanidethDM said:
Crytek's fault for having an agreement with another DD service that violates new rules from Steam?

Let's not jump the gun and wait for Valve's response, but there's little to interpret here.

Sorry, i completely misread the article, It's 4am here :p

stuminus3

You know, I completely forgot that the Crysis is an EA Partners series, not a regular EA release, and that this could have something to do with Crytek. Interesting.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
VisanidethDM said:

Makes me wonder what came first, the agreement or the new rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom