• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CW fast tracking 'Flash' series (Full costume photo and casting new in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Oh mah god....could he be:

WjBKcot.jpg

?

rokero

Great way to pay homage the guy was awesome in the original flash tv series I really hope he is Jay Garrick and not Barry`s dad

when did that happen? I always thought he was white. Candace is really pretty. Having said that I really prefer having my favorite characters not being racebent. Heimdal? no issue. Someone like Spidey or Daredevil or Batman? no I don't want to see that. same goes for female Doom. That is a terrible idea.

Spidey is "a poor kid that's smart/ really nerdy and from NY". Given the ethnic set up of his area he could be Asian or Black or Mexican or w/e and nothing would change. He could also be a female seeing as his back story is very much gender neutral.

DD ... IDK much about his origins other than the movie (Dad was a good local boxer who was dirty and took dives for cash or something). not sure ... but being a white boy may be deep rooted in this origins.

Bats though, he has a "reason" to be white. It's a bit shaky but yeah, he comes from "Old Money" in the US ... which means he would likely be White. Nothing gender biased about that though so he could be female and nothing would change.

Supes is only "White" by default or to fit in with the Kents ... who could be some other race I suppose. But given his location I could give that a pass (I mean, if pretty much everyone but the Kents are white then that makes Clark stand out even more when they notice that Supes is Mexican and shows up in their town a lot right?). No real reason in his origin for him being a man though.

Cap America ... yeah, he has to be a pretty white MAN given his origins. The US wouldn't have anything else rep them or hold that title at that time ... no women and no PoC. So yeah, there couldn't be an Asian Cap America or a Lady Cap.

The FF ... THIS is interesting! The reason I think this is fluid is because they don't have to worry about having a secret ID, everyone knows who they are. So sure, why not change it up?

On the flip side ...

WW ... has to be a Amazon woman. What ethnic group "Amazon Women" are could be w/e IMO. In her movies they show to have many different ethnic groups that live there so I think that's fluid but she gotta be a lady.

Storm ... being a "African Goddess" is a really be part of her origin.

With Women and PoC many times their origins heavily rely on them being a PoC or a Woman. As if they have to have an excuse for them not being white.

Spidey is "a poor kid that's smart/ really nerdy and from NY". Given the ethnic set up of his area he could be Asian or Black or Mexican or w/e and nothing would change. He could also be a female seeing as his back story is very much gender neutral.

DD ... IDK much about his origins other than the movie (Dad was a good local boxer who was dirty and took dives for cash or something). not sure ... but being a white boy may be deep rooted in this origins.

Bats though, he has a "reason" to be white. It's a bit shaky but yeah, he comes from "Old Money" in the US ... which means he would likely be White. Nothing gender biased about that though so he could be female and nothing would change.

Supes is only "White" by default or to fit in with the Kents ... who could be some other race I suppose. But given his location I could give that a pass (I mean, if pretty much everyone but the Kents are white then that makes Clark stand out even more when they notice that Supes is Mexican and shows up in their town a lot right?). No real reason in his origin for him being a man though.

Cap America ... yeah, he has to be a pretty white MAN given his origins. The US wouldn't have anything else rep them or hold that title at that time ... no women and no PoC. So yeah, there couldn't be an Asian Cap America or a Lady Cap.

The FF ... THIS is interesting! The reason I think this is fluid is because they don't have to worry about having a secret ID, everyone knows who they are. So sure, why not change it up?

On the flip side ...

WW ... has to be a Amazon woman. What ethnic group "Amazon Women" are could be w/e IMO. In her movies they show to have many different ethnic groups that live there so I think that's fluid but she gotta be a lady.

With Women and PoC many times their origins heavily rely on them being a PoC or a Woman. As if they have to have an excuse for them not being white.

Daredevil being Catholic is a big part of the character. He's Irish Catholic more specifically, but he doesn't necessarily have to be.

Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, and the FF are all pretty malleable.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Has to be Jay Garrick. No other reason to keep his role a secret.

I was just thinking the other day, it'd be cool if they included the 90s Flash.

Nesotenso

On the flip side ...

yeah I am aware that a lot of the ethnicities of the heroes I like are malleable and can be changed without affecting their fundamental character. But I have the preference of seeing my favorites being portrayed how I grew up reading them.

Slayven

yeah I am aware that a lot of the ethnicities of the heroes I like are malleable and can be changed without affecting their fundamental character. But I have the preference of seeing my favorites being portrayed how I grew up reading them.

yeah that is how I feel, why not just make a new character?

Slayven

Easier to push an established name than someone brand new. It's not ideal, but it is what it is.

Not really. Fans won't like them and casuals will say "thats not right". Pass the mantel on, a new character with a new story, but part of the larger whole. Like Miles Morales.

Sojgat

He was one of the first people cast for the pilot.

I know. My theory would be that he's detective Thawn's future self. Even if Shipp is cast as some other regular character, this would always be my suspicion... unless he is just Barry's dad or something.

ReiGun

Not really. Fans won't like them and casuals will say "thats not right". Pass the mantel on, a new character with a new story, but part of the larger whole. Like Miles Morales.

Fans embraced Black Nick Fury; I see no reason why they couldn't learn to embrace Black Wally West if the character is written and executed properly.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Awesome. I still wonder how they are going to portray Flash powers, hopefully it doesn't look too cheap.

Wag

Fans embraced Black Nick Fury; I see no reason why they couldn't learn to embrace Black Wally West if the character is written and executed properly.

Except Wally West was supposed to be related to Barry Allen by marriage. Unless Iris Allen is black I don't see how that's going to work.

ReiGun

Except Wally West was supposed to be related to Barry Allen by marriage. Unless Iris Allen is black I don't see how that's going to work.

Iris and her dad are black in this show. That's the whole reason we're having this discussion. :p

Wag

Ah I didn't know that. Then it makes sense. At any rate Barry is way too young for Wally to make an appearance anyways. How old is he? 24? Wally would have to be "Kid Flash", like 12 or 13 to make sense.

Ah I didn't know that. Then it makes sense. At any rate Barry is way too young for Wally to make an appearance anyways. How old is he? 24? Wally would have to be "Kid Flash", like 12 or 13 to make sense.

In what other possible way would you expect them to introduce the character?

Wag

Also, I was wondering if Kid Flash even existed in the New 52 continuity? I'm not sure what DC want's to do with the TV show. We might even see Impulse make an appearance, rather than Wally.

ReiGun

Also, I was wondering if Kid Flash even existed in the New 52 continuity? I'm not sure what DC want's to do with the TV show. We might even see Impulse make an appearance, rather than Wally.

He does, but it's Bart and not Wally. Wally is coming back as another Flash this year.

Malvingt2

Yo Momma Is So FLASH... Michelle Harrison Cast As Barry Allen's Mother

Pzo4Taw.jpg

Michelle Harrison has been cast as Nora Allen in CW's Flash series. As revealed in Grant Gustin's Arrow cameo, Barry knows that his mother was killed by a supernatural blur. At times, the show will focus on Barry trying to unravel the mystery behind his mother's death. Michelle, previously had a recurring role ('Jessica') on CW's short-lived medical drama, Emily Owens M.D..

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=95105#8RYOW2HAJUUzvxXt.99

Yo Momma Is So FLASH... Michelle Harrison Cast As Barry Allen's Mother

Pzo4Taw.jpg

Michelle Harrison has been cast as Nora Allen in CW's Flash series. As revealed in Grant Gustin's Arrow cameo, Barry knows that his mother was killed by a supernatural blur. At times, the show will focus on Barry trying to unravel the mystery behind his mother's death. Michelle, previously had a recurring role ('Jessica') on CW's short-lived medical drama, Emily Owens M.D..

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=95105#8RYOW2HAJUUzvxXt.99

But she dead, yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom