• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Mafia |OT| Git Gud or Die Trying

Okay. To get this straight in my mind, I'm gonna recap the day as I see it:

Day opens. rac jokes(?) that we got a scum after I say we're fucked. Possible slip, possible joke, hard to tell.

Muffin asks why Trigger didn't vote.

Vere and I go back and forth in an exchange that probably isn't very important if Trigger is telling the truth and we're both green. Summary is that I didn't want to vote for oreo d2 and instead swapped between CornBro and Vere. Muffin is partially involved in this exchange as well.

CM claims cop, reports red check on Stan. Votes Stan.

FEP votes Stan but asks CM for more robust claim. Sawneeks and I echo this.

Muffin and Sawneeks have an exchange about Sawneeks' scum reads.

Vere votes Stan.

Stan says he is not scum.

Vere, like Burb before him, says people are unlikely to fake claim in this game (BUT LO THEY WERE WRONG BECAUSE PEOPLE GONNA PEOPLE)

Stan insists again that CM's claim is a total lie, he's being framed, honest. (His tone is sorta weird in these posts. Is it just Stan? Is he posturing?)

kitsunelaine, with no attention to the thread whatsoever, rolls in with a huge scumread on nin and I. votes nin. Is surprised when FEP says yo, there's a cop claim and a red check in play.

CM says he will not reveal anything else until everyone has checked in. CM also shades nin by saying nin is the main person Stan had interaction with. CM also mentions turboing**

**this is interesting- did he want to be counterclaimed to find the PR or was something else going on?

Stan quotes FEP asking kits about why she's voting nin and then also votes nin. Joke vote? Real vote?

CM claims Stan and nin are scum together.

Stan offers a real defense here: "my best guess is that a scum team that includes CM lost a member since the last update, and hope that having me lynched in a cop check will make everyone think that the upcoming '1 dead anti-town' can only be me, and not whoever we already got."

CM, when asked again to offer a real claim, says "the investigation is ongoing" and wants to talk about the next two set of lynches.

Discussion of whatever the fuck CM is doing and if it's a gambit and why scum would do it, etc. (me, FEP, CM, sorta Stan but not really)

Trigger comes in with counterclaim. Directly accuses CM of trying to out real cop. Trigger votes CM and green-checks me and Vere.

FEP offers a potential path forward that I will quote here in entirety:
"Well let's see if CM ever wants to claim his other check.

In the meantime, I'm curious about leaving them both alive. Keep getting cop checks from both. Mafia can't nk the real cop without exposing the fake and in the meantime we get more checks. Of course the neutral can fuck everything up but we're now in a position where we do have a fake claim for some reason. If Corn was scum, it will mess with our info if we get the wrong one.

I'm less likely to believe the counter to be honest. If Stan is scum this is a chance for a scum buddy to run in and spread confusion. If CM is scum, why do this? Really worth a scum to draw out the cop?

I found it pretty easy to believe Stan was scum but then CM has been so shady about the info he's given. Not sure where I'd rather lynch tbh."

CM TELLS Stan he was hypnotized last night. FEP presses CM.

CM seems upset with Trigger for counterclaiming. Says: "Even if I were playing as scum in this game I wouldn't make such a gambit without talking with my team mates." But there is no chat in this game. Saying that no scum would run a gambit at all then? If town, that's speculation; if scum, it's an attempt at cover.

CM tries to explain his "gambit" with d1 votes. Points to nin as possible scum. Says CB was probably town.

Stan says he is a Firekeeper (note: he later said he is a Darkwraith); questions the sense of CM's play.

CM points to BHL in his earlier post as a breadcrumb he is the hypnotist. Says if he is scum, so is Stan (which I don't get the math on, really - he redchecked Stan in the fake claim)

rac votes CM

Sawneeks echoes FEP that we wait until the end, no turboes, to see if hypnotist move is in play.

kits comes in and votes nin again, says it's obvious why (it's not), claims vanilla town because "people seem to be claiming"

rac joke-claims cop, stan says he is not cop, this goes back and forth for several posts

Stan says he was NOT HYPNOTIZED

I suggest maybe CM was actually hypnotized because what else is gonna happen today, who knows?!

Vere and I truce FOR THE GLORY OF TOWN

Vere asks what happens if CM is lying/not lying (more discussion of possible scenarios)

Stan says he is a Darkwraith (with a tongue emoji; still a joke?)

isaac votes for Stan, says nothing else

FEP asks CM for clarification.

rac says we should lynch Stan today.

Does that cover it all?

Current status:

Dead via lynch:
Fireblend
CornBurrito

Dead via scum:
Burbeting
LordOfCastamere

Claims in play:
Trigger (cop, town)
Christina Mackenzie? (hypnotist? town?)
monkey* (vanilla town)
kitsunelaine* (vanilla town)

If Trigger is telling the truth: monkey, Verelios green-checked

Hypnotized*: Stan
*maybe (pending confirmation again from CM

Now I'm gonna get sticky:

NOT scum hunting currently:
rac - jokes, fake claims, but more effort than others on this list
isaacnukem - largely absent, no input, votes nin with no context
kitsunelaine - see above, already covered
oreo* (star because RL illness) - ill, excused

Trying to solve game in light of all this (as always, could be fakery here), and not all are equal:
monkey
FEP
Verelios
Sawneeks
Trigger
Muffin

Weird middle space:
CM -wtf
Stan -wtf

Oh FUCK not being able to edit: I forgot nin himself on that list. I'm sorry, nin - would put you somewhere in the middle, though - some commentary, context, tried to also create recap of twisted day but less input that I'd like. But while I have you separate:

Why do you think kits and Stan voted you today?

monkey what do you think about kits claim?

why did that happen?

Well, kits is clearly not involved in the game as it's developing, so I have no idea why she would claim out of nowhere. The only people who were claiming were people who had to. I was asked post-green check claim. CM and Trigger were claiming. Stan is stanning. kits claimed... for reasons?

Stan: I am always hesitant to assume you are scum. I think people read you as scum. But I will say that even when you are a lower poster or less active, you do demonstrate good insight. Where is that this game?

Why am I town and Verelios only possible?
You and Blargonaut are probably the only people on Gafia that has left an impression on me and I honestly think you're town right now. Last game I was in I felt Blargonaut was town and he turned out to be town. So I'm throwing the gauntlet here to make things easier. Three confirmed town, Verelios leaning on a maybe, so that's a four. So these leaves us with just a few players to pick a scum and neutral from.

I'm feeling good. Aren't you? :)

Oh wait, why is Verelios a maybe? I'm not confident to say he's 100% town as he hasn't formed in my mind yet. But if pressed, I'd lean towards him being town.

The thing with this game is that scum won't win by having the numbers, so if the days go by and we still can't seem to win and he's still alive, then we can still take him out.

I thought that going for the other option I presented while two contested claims were battling one another was an obvious call but I guess I was mistaken.

That was fast.

Anyway, the only thing I am sure of right now is that is a hypnotized player claims scum in any fashion at all, they gotta go.

Vote: StanleyPalmtree

That was fast.

Anyway, the only thing I am sure of right now is that is a hypnotized player claims scum in any fashion at all, they gotta go.

Vote: StanleyPalmtree

But why do we believe he's hypnotized? Do we have a reason to believe CM after that weird cop claim?

I'm not disagreeing with your general assessment. I seriously doubt CM, though.

DAY 3 CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

StanleyPalmtree (3)
Christina Mackenzie 904
flatearthpandas 906 993
Verelios 924 999
kitsunelaine 968 1054
isaacnukem 1090
flatearthpandas 1122

Christina Mackenzie (2)
Trigger 995
rac 1034 1100
StanleyPalmtree 1104

nin1000 (1)
kitsunelaine 956 968
StanleyPalmtree 972 1104
kitsunelaine 1054

rac (0): hey_monkey 880 912

No active vote for Day 3: hey_monkey (has previously voted), Muffin1611, nin1000, oreomunsta, rac (has previously voted), Sawneeks, Verelios (has previously voted)

Day 3 Postcount: Christina Mackenzie 16, flatearthpandas 24, hey_monkey 56, isaacnukem 5, kitsunelaine 10, Muffin1611 20, nin1000 13, oreomunsta 2, rac 32, Sawneeks 15, StanleyPalmtree 14, Trigger 8, Verelios 26

Day 3 ends:
bla_1505761200.png

Automated vote tally here

7 votes for majority

Verelios

But why do we believe he's hypnotized? Do we have a reason to believe CM after that weird cop claim?

Of course I doubt CM, but when someone that's been accused of being hynotized goes 'I'm a firekeeper' nah, 'I'm a darkewraith, haha, just joking, why you mad lol' I'm inclined to think something has to give.

Sawneeks

Banned

Question for you, Monkey. Say CM is lying here, what are the possible scenarios playing out for you if that's the case?

Because honestly I only see two scenarios and both end with Stan getting lynched and no confirmation of trust for CM.

Also fairly certain even if we mislynch today we're not entirely screwed unless CornBro/Stan are the Neutral.

rac

Banned
id love to believe stanleys joke but what can we do?

if the hypnotist is dead then i dunno what can salvage this

rac

Banned
you know what, i've got time. i'm going to type out my multiple theories so give me a sec.

if corn was scum this seems like the best day to bait out the cop, get a town mislynched and control the conversation

obviously this is contingent on if the hypnotist is dead

but does that really matter? getting two powerful prs to claim seems worth one scum lynch

Of course I doubt CM, but when someone that's been accused of being hynotized goes 'I'm a firekeeper' nah, 'I'm a darkewraith, haha, just joking, why you mad lol' I'm inclined to think something has to give.

Question for you, Monkey. Say CM is lying here, what are the possible scenarios playing out for you if that's the case?

Because honestly I only see two scenarios and both end with Stan getting lynched and no confirmation of trust for CM.

Also fairly certain even if we mislynch today we're not entirely screwed unless CornBro/Stan are the Neutral.

I'm not at all against lynching Stan. The way he's treated this boggles my mind (though I don't know how I would react in such a situation, which is an interesting thought experiment), and he hasn't played a pro-town game. But I don't have a scrap of trust for CM, either - but despite what CM says, what are the odds they are both scum? How do we view the game after this?

It's a damn mess. I'm interested in seeing what Sawneeks is about to produce.

Sawneeks

Banned
We've got a couple different ways to how this could be playing out.

CM and Stan are Scum: Scum!CM claims Cop first to draw out the real Cop/check if the real cop is dead or not. If the real cop claims, Scum!CM then hops over to a fakeclaim of Hypnotist to either draw the real one out or check to see if the real one is dead. If either claim goes uncontested then CM roles with it and lynches Stan, thus cementing the fact that they are that 'PR' since we wouldn't know if the real one is alive or dead. Now if Scum!CM gets counterclaimed twice Scum now know two PRs and Stan's alignment is up in the air since the question would rise 'would scum bus their teammate like that'? Possibility: one of CM or Stan are the Godfather in this case.

Stan is Scum and CM is Town: Pretty straight forward, CM is the Hypnotist and actually caught a Scum!Stan and we're all overthinking this. No explanation for the fake cop claim though.

CM is Scum and Stan is Town: Scum!CM picks a target and fakeclaims against them for rewards similar to Scenario 1. HOWEVER, the risks here are much higher as a Scum!CM getting counterclaimed twice here leaves Stan is a similar position but as a Townie, meaning whoever CM's partners would be are in a strange spot against him. I also feel like this scenario would only happen if CornBro was Scum and the Anti-Town number would reflect 1 Scum dying and CM could pin that on Stan if this scenario played out flawlessly to clear himself. This one also doesn't make much sense unless Scum was in a shit spot after CornBro and CM wanted to go all-or-nothing but that seems incredibly risky.

CM is Town and Stan is Neutral: CM is telling the truth and Stan is the dirty arsonist, although I don't think Stan ever said, jokingly or not, if he was Neutral so this scenario is extremely unlikely.

CM is Neutral and Stan is Town: Why

CM is Neutral and Stan is Scum: I mean we'd get Scum on a damn lucky guess but why

CM is Town and Stan is Town: If so, Stan hasn't been playing very Townie this Day Phase and I'll have some words post-game for the 'I'm a Darkwraith' joke.

either way, this Day Phase isn't ending without Stan getting lynched for answers as the two likely scenarios to me ( Town v Scum and Scum v Scum ) both have Stan as Scum. The question really breaks down into if we trust CM or not and I'll be honest: I don't know. Fakeclaiming Cop is extremely unnecessary and, while I don't think CM has checked in since we all asked, I really want an answer to that.

Sawneeks

Banned
But I don't think I'm gonna cast my vote until near day's end. If someone is hypnotized, it'll be clear today.

If it isn't Stan it's already happened:

Big Hat Logan - Hypnotist
In your journeys you have amassed a great deal of magical knowledge and ability and as such as a one time night action you may compel a player to divulge their alignment during the next day.
You may do this by sending Hypnotize: <TARGET> during any night phase.
The player will be compelled to clearly announce their alignment at least 24 hours before the end of the following day phase.
Hypnotism is a delicate process, however, if you are killed the same night you use this ability it will fail.

rac

Banned
yeah the cop claim i just dont know

what is fake claiming a person you hypnotised going to prove?

it's only going to make your claim look worse when you do eventually claim hypnotist

i know if i was cop i wouldn't have waited 24 hours to counterclaim like cm suggested

Well, kits is clearly not involved in the game as it's developing, so I have no idea why she would claim out of nowhere. The only people who were claiming were people who had to. I was asked post-green check claim. CM and Trigger were claiming. Stan is stanning. kits claimed... for reasons?

Stan: I am always hesitant to assume you are scum. I think people read you as scum. But I will say that even when you are a lower poster or less active, you do demonstrate good insight. Where is that this game?

iv been wondering that myself, the biggest problem with my usual play is that im largely relying on my own intuition, usually trying to read what i can of other players based on their posts behavior and tone within the context of the game state.
i think my issue this game is that the total lack of hard details has left everyone too unsure of any position to ever put them in a spot to overextend or tunnel or otherwise act unreasonably, when everyone is so in the dark its just makes sense that they hesitantly meander. as for my play today, well i kinda checked out as soon as i saw the red check (i figured scum CM had a much better reason to claim that than she did) and haven't really gotten myself back in yet.
also can i say that i absolutely love than i am now a verb.

If it isn't Stan it's already happened:

Stan already did the hypnotist's bidding. He claimed Darkwraith.

oh ffs, I had it backwards in my head, that it was in the last 24 hours they'd have to announce. I'm a donk. Yeah, that seems pretty clear that Stan is scum in that case. But why on earth would a townCM do what he did? That just does not compute.

We're at 4 on Stan with 7 as majority, yes?

So the thing is if we do mislynch here and Stan is town but CB was scum and CM is scum (lol, all the initials), we won't know for sure. Part of me wants to hold off and lynch Stan tomorrow.

I WANT MY FLIPS BACK

We've got a couple different ways to how this could be playing out.

Stan is Scum and CM is Town: Pretty straight forward, CM is the Hypnotist and actually caught a Scum!Stan and we're all overthinking this. No explanation for the fake cop claim though.

CM is Scum and Stan is Town: Scum!CM picks a target and fakeclaims against them for rewards similar to Scenario 1. HOWEVER, the risks here are much higher as a Scum!CM getting counterclaimed twice here leaves Stan is a similar position but as a Townie, meaning whoever CM's partners would be are in a strange spot against him. I also feel like this scenario would only happen if CornBro was Scum and the Anti-Town number would reflect 1 Scum dying and CM could pin that on Stan if this scenario played out flawlessly to clear himself. This one also doesn't make much sense unless Scum was in a shit spot after CornBro and CM wanted to go all-or-nothing but that seems incredibly risky.

CM is Town and Stan is Town: If so, Stan hasn't been playing very Townie this Day Phase and I'll have some words post-game for the 'I'm a Darkwraith' joke.

I had to get off mobile so I could take a moment to take a breath and be clear. Yes, I think we can mislynch. And I think you laid out these possibilities well. But I think these three are the most likely and it's CM's fake cop claim that stops me from believing that he is the real hypnotist. Thing is, we can't tell if Stan was just fucking around or if he was really hypnotized. He did say both. I agree that it looks more like scum responding to hypnosis but that's in a world without our supposed hypnotist putting an essential town PR at risk. that fake claim was NOT pro town in an way. I can definitely believe that a scum CM would bait to get PRs in the open in a game with no scumchat and the idea that scum doesn't stir the pot doesn't fly for me either - I just read the inFamous scum chat and they did that when the game stagnated. So with no chat? Bad decisions get easier.

Town CM happening to hit scum Stan when Stan didn't really stand out amongst a large pack of relatively inactive players would be really lucky. Not impossible. Scum CM lying and hoping to cover CornBro's scummage? Also weird but not impossible.

And the fact that we won't know with the flip does bother me, unless it happens to be two towns or two scum. I almost want to not lynch at all just to see but I know y'all won't go for that and I'm also half worried the arsonist will ignite tonight just to throw a wrench into every damn thing.

I would like CM to come back and be real straight with us is what I'd like.

The ball was already rolling when CM claimed cop...wait a minute, how would CM know Stan's alignment then one way or the other? Just thought of that. Shiiieeet.

Exactly. If CM is town and Stan does happen to be scum that was a wild shot in the dark. Not impossible. But possibly harder to believe than scumCM fishing for 2/3 town PRs.

Sawneeks

Banned
I am the neutral.

( ._.)

you know if you're actually town this really isn't helping

So the thing is if we do mislynch here and Stan is town but CB was scum and CM is scum (lol, all the initials), we won't know for sure. Part of me wants to hold off and lynch Stan tomorrow.

I WANT MY FLIPS BACK

But what's the alternative here? We leave both of them Scum isn't touching either if they're Town and while I'd love to trust Trigger's check we can't with the Godfather in play. The only thing we can do is lynch one and either hope to the mafia gods the other isn't scum or just lynch the other one too.

Top Bottom