• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Puzzle-wise it's more of a retread through the Deku Tree and Dodongo's Caverns in terms of difficulty. The Zelda-like is apt comparison, in the sense that you do have goals when you enter a room. But they're easy and the steps are completely explained by the camera. I only hope they've improved that aspect in the sequel.

Gvaz

Banned
So if I'm a little after beating Tiamat, how much longer do I have in the game? That part took me like 6 hours.

sajj316

ProudClod said:
Just picked it up for 15 bucks. Enjoying it quite a bit :) Though it's NOTHING like Zelda. It feels like MUCH more like God of War in an open world (about 3 hours in).

Keep playing .. you'll see what we're talking about :)

Maffis

Gvaz said:
So if I'm a little after beating Tiamat, how much longer do I have in the game? That part took me like 6 hours.

The game is around 20 hours long or so (at least for me), but you're still in the first part of the game.

teiresias

The game is overstaying its welcome and this damn Silitha fight isn't helping.

It seems to be a crap shoot whether I'm actually able to dodge her when she teleports to smash on top of me. I definitely can't just to a RB dash to do it, I have to be running out from under her a split second beforehand and then dash, and even then it doesn't do it. I burn through my entire life bar and still can't get to the section where she makes the little balls appear in the air (I've read about this in the FAQs I've read, I've never gotten that far). If I do like the game apparently wants me to - that is hookshot over to her and start wailing on her, she teleports while I'm in the air wailing on her and there's no way to get out from under her in that condition even with a mid-air dash.

To make matters worse there is apparently no Vulgrim location in this dungeon and no way out of the damn thing so I'm stuck with my one life essence to use during the fight, and I have to load a savegame if I die since it starts you back right outside the fight with only like half of the life bar filled.

Seriously, this fight is such boring BS that I'm ready to just uninstall the game and forget this series exists. It would be different if it were using some interesting mechanic in some way, but it's just apparently monotonous dodging and swinging away for the entire battle.

WTF - I just watched a fight with her (seemed to be the PS3 version) that claimed to be on Apocalyptic difficulty and she's moving to different phases of the fight after like two cycles in each one!!! I literally fight her for like ten minutes and she stays in the first phase of the fight and that's with me wailing on her everytime I can get a hold of her!! This is such crap.

[EDIT:] OK, I think my game was glitching. Originally, through many reloads Silitha was not moving beyond the first "phase" of the fight like EVER. I'd fight her for like ten minutes before she'd even change her tactics at all. So I completely shut down the game and restarted, and suddenly Silitha is moving through the phases of the fight at the pace I saw in the youtube videos (she moved into the second phase after me wailing on her once this time), and she's pretty easy now. Stupid PC master-race gaming. :-0

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Gvaz said:

There's five dungeons.

You just beat the first one.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Gvaz said:

You are about a fifth in. On the upside, that is the toughest fight I think. It gets easier afterwards, including bosses.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished the game. I had stopping playing it around 5 hours in some time ago then finally came back to it. I really enjoyed it and I can't wait for 2.

Sagitario

If the enemies didn't have as much HP, I would replay it.
Sometimes it feels that you're not making much damage.

That said, I can't wait for the sequel :D

Big blobs of monster marines with exploding guts and blood everywhere.

It might have some Zelda mechanics, but who gives a crap if it looks so thematically stupid.

XNarte

mentalfloss said:
Big blobs of monster marines with exploding guts and blood everywhere.

It might have some Zelda mechanics, but who gives a crap if it looks so thematically stupid.

In your opinion. Apocalypse games don't have sugar fairies and lollipops in them. At least this was an apocalyptic game that has colors- you can't blame it for the next gen brown that most end of the world games have.

Dmax3901

Bought this cheap ages ago. I must fucking suck though cause I just keep getting killed by big guys with bone/blade arms on shattered motorways. I've ragequitted many a time.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dmax3901 said:
Bought this cheap ages ago. I must fucking suck though cause I just keep getting killed by big guys with bone/blade arms on shattered motorways. I've ragequitted many a time.
It's a hit and run fight. Dodge in after one of his attacks, and double dodge out after you land two or three hits.

Lettuce

Damn defo want to get Darksiders, but the its $5 for US users and £5 for us british users. So UK'ers have to pay almost twice as much!! Surely that cant be right??

Would any of you US users purchase Darksiders and the Vietnam add-on for Bad Company 2 if its around $3.40 and gift it to me. I will pay you back via paypal 'gift' option??

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Glass Rebel said:
So a friend gifted this to me. Is there ANY way to edit the graphics settings outside of the game?
Sadly, the only options you can change are the resolution and v-sync...

GLopez12

Neo Member
Eh, do not like. The game is way too easy, and the puzzles and bosses leave a lot to be desired. The game tries to mix too much, and it ends up feeling like a dumbed-down mix of God of War and Zelda.

I hope the sequel actually fleshes things out.

-Mikey-

I've wanted this since it launched and have passed on it time and time again.

Finally bought it through Steam and after 10 hours of downloading...I'm really excited for the sequel.

zlatko

Banned
I just got this off Steam for 5 bucks. Super disappointed by the fact there is no graphics options whatsoever. I can run Witcher 2 with most of the game on ultra without choppiness or frame rate drops, but this game for whatever reason has hiccups on my 5870. :/

zlatko said:
I just got this off Steam for 5 bucks. Super disappointed by the fact there is no graphics options whatsoever. I can run Witcher 2 with most of the game on ultra without choppiness or frame rate drops, but this game for whatever reason has hiccups on my 5870. :/

It's not very demanding on the GPU. Being a console port, it runs best on core ix processors. Which processor do you have?

DieH@rd

Banned
zlatko said:

It worked perfectly fine on my old 4670 and my new 6870. Game has very low requirements and its well optimized.

There is definitely something wrong in your case, you should be getting perfect 60fps all the time.

zlatko

Banned
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor 2.80GHz.

It just chops up here and there. It's by no means awful, but I just found it stupid that a game on PC doesn't have graphics setting options.

zlatko said:

It just chops up here and there. It's by no means awful, but I just found it stupid that a game on PC doesn't have graphics setting options.
What video card do you have? Mine was tearing like a bitch even with the in game Vsync on and had to force on vsync from d3d and now it's smooth as butter.

I have a question, in the first area with the guy who gives you the horn. Is there a way to get the one treasure chest that's up on a ledge? I've got all but that one.

ArjanN

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What video card do you have? Mine was tearing like a bitch even with the in game Vsync on and had to force on vsync from d3d and now it's smooth as butter.

I have a question, in the first area with the guy who gives you the horn. Is there a way to get the one treasure chest that's up on a ledge? I've got all but that one.

I don't know the exact chest you mean, but sometimes you have to come back later when you have more abilites, metroid style. Until you reach the point of no return at the very end of the game you can always come back.

Rlan

I've had the game for a while, but finally getting through it. Currently up to
Azrael
and holy shit
This dungeon takes FOREVER, god all this crazy damn portal stuff and having to "undo" a dungeon once you've gone through it messes with my head a bit.
. I got stuck at
The beginning of the third section, as I kept getting killed by the Skeleton Warriors with the Shield and Hammer, which takes a whole "skull" of health from you if you get hit

Nabs

zlatko said:

Yeah, use D3D instead of the in-game stuff. You can also force AA with your ATI card. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Le-mo

I started this game right away after I finished Medal of Honor and I am having a blast. For $5 it was a fking steal. Not to mention the game looks wonderful on my PC. Unfortunately I had to stop playing since I have work in 5 hours. :/

ArjanN

Rlan said:
I've had the game for a while, but finally getting through it. Currently up to
Azrael
and holy shit
This dungeon takes FOREVER, god all this crazy damn portal stuff and having to "undo" a dungeon once you've gone through it messes with my head a bit.
. I got stuck at
The beginning of the third section, as I kept getting killed by the Skeleton Warriors with the Shield and Hammer, which takes a whole "skull" of health from you if you get hit

I remember that section being kind of tough. A good way to cheese the game is with the poison magic. It shoots out a homing attack that kills pretty much anything that isn't a boss, so it's very useful against the bigger mini-boss type enemies, just fight the smaller enemies around to get energy then press a button and the miniboss dies.

I need to know, does this game get better the more I play it? The combat feels really dull and mash heavy. Also the dodging is really silly, seeing as it offers almost no invincibility while active. :S

Yeah I'm harping on the combat, but the game seems to want me to do a lot of it.

Le-mo

I just love the character design in this game. The best I've seen so far, especially the demons. Of course it isn't a bad thing that the game kicks ass also.

Dr_Peace

Banned
Bought it a while ago on the PC, played it at full settings and enjoyed it. It's a Zelda type game, married with God of War.

Not sure whether it's as good as Okami (which was also quite flawed and repetitive), but it doesn't measure up to a Zelda game for me. The story was passable and not very ambitious, music not very impressive, voice acting was good, there wasn't much extra content and the main quest wasn't too long, it was very predictable and never even tried to hide what item you'd need to proceed (boomerang, hookshot etc), and the puzzles and dungeon design were very simple.

Those fetch quests to get the giant rock guys to move, the little trial things? They were kinda annoying.

The art design was cool, very saturated and comic book-ish.

I liked the portal gun though, that part was cool.

The combat was decent once you unlocked a lot of the moves and got the weapons, nothing felt redundant mainly because fights were never really puzzle orientated. It does get repetitive, but it also does try to offer different enemies and challenge.

Zelda games are ridiculously hard to make, so I respect it and Darksiders 2 should definitely be worth watching.

Do I think that Zelda could learn anything from this game? No, not really.

Le-mo

I don't know if anybody else has experienced this problem, but once in a while the camera would be lock at certain places and the only way to rotate it is to use the aiming mode. The lock would go away randomly and it is really annoying.

Red

Mr Touchdown said:
I need to know, does this game get better the more I play it? The combat feels really dull and mash heavy. Also the dodging is really silly, seeing as it offers almost no invincibility while active. :S

Yeah I'm harping on the combat, but the game seems to want me to do a lot of it.
It never really improves.

Le-mo

I found the solution to my camera problem all I had to do was press F to focus/unfocus the camera. Silly me. I'm currently in the Black Throne level and the puzzle is taking me a while to solve and is making me want to quit. I will toughen it out, though.

Top Bottom