• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Coming to Wii - Famitsu

Insaniac said:
is this capcom's "Super ultra top secret project"? :(

This certainly fits all of NGamer's hints, so I'd have to say yes.

Anyway, if they seriously rework the game to compensate for the limitations of the hardware, this could be good. If it's just a port with motion controls and fewer zombies, it'll suck.

Teknoman

WickedLaharl said:
why wait? there is zero chance that the wii version will retain all that makes dead rising the game that it is.

the system is simply incapable.

In that one storage room screenshot, there are a good amount of zombies. I mean they'll have to do something, its not like they'll leave it barren.

Xenon said:
28lxh1w.jpg

:lol

Yeah, Capcom is going to have to unload some of those boxes.

Totobeni said:
I like Capcom and their "no more exclusives for anyone , multiplat and more profit for us " strategy this gen .

How about their "wasting everyone's time by re-releasing two year old games instead of what people fucking want" strat? It's awesome, isn't it?

Teknoman

Son of Godzilla said:
How about their "wasting everyone's time by re-releasing two year old games instead of what people fucking want" strat? It's awesome, isn't it?

There are still alot of people that didnt get to play Dead Rising, so this sorta bodes well for them.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Guys.. I was talking about this on IRC and just had an epiphany.

Inafune mentioned more than once that he would like to make a Mega Man Legends 3 with the Dead Rising engine and...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I guess I can see Capcom's logic if they're just looking at Japan- DR 360 didn't even manage 100K even with a best of release. I'm sure they feel a Wii version can do better. (after all, Wii owners in Japan CLEARLY love zombies)

Alaluef said:
Guys.. I was talking about this on IRC and just had an epiphany.

Inafune mentioned more than once that he would like to make a Mega Man Legends 3 with the Dead Rising engine and...
it will never happen, just like a new entry in the classic megaman series

Pojo

Banned
Deku said:
Why do people act surprised when Capcom continually pillage a new IP like this.
How is this pillaging? Wii gamers are getting a port, yes, but it's a port on an inferior console (graphically) with completely revamped controls. It took far more effort than something like RE4, and you're ungrateful?

I, for one, am happy. I would have taken a PS3 port simply because I have not played Dead Rising, but this is even better.

Alcibiades

People joke about RE:0 and REmake coming next but would anybody honestly be upset if it were accompanied by a RE:5 Wii announcement (I don't mean a sidestory but an actual port using an upgraded RE:4 engine)?

If anything, it would give some people who never owned a Gamecube a chance at easy access to them (since GCN games aren't really stocked in stores anymore).

FoneBone

I can't be the only one who's disappointed by this, can I? I'd rather see Capcom putting that effort into something original.

golem

this thread reminds me... dead rising is another game i cant wait to install on to my xbox's hd.. haha. release the fall update already!

schuelma

FoneBone said:
I can't be the only one who's disappointed by this, can I? I'd rather see Capcom putting that effort into something original.

I'm not disappointed per se, but I do wonder why they didn't expend this effort on an actual Resident Evil game. Maybe that's coming?

Pojo

Banned
FoneBone said:
I'd rather see a new Mega Man Legends game or a Viewtiful Joe that doesn't suck. Your point?

You have to take it for what it's worth. Dead Rising is a great game, and this isn't a simple port job. Capcom will probably please more people this way anyway, Dead Rising is a proven game. Besides, Capcom has been wonderful so far this generation in giving us new stuff, there's no need to whine.

Deku

Banned
Pojo said:
How is this pillaging? Wii gamers are getting a port, yes, but it's a port on an inferior console (graphically) with completely revamped controls. It took far more effort than something like RE4, and you're ungrateful?

I, for one, am happy. I would have taken a PS3 port simply because I have not played Dead Rising, but this is even better.

I was just asking why GAF is sitll surprised that Capcom likes to port its shit to everything with a processor. RE4 is on cellphones too.

I'm not really in fanboy damage control mode as some are here. It's certianly good news for Wii if you haven't played the 360 version, and as pointed out the game did not do very well in Japan and this remake is probably done with that in mind too.

I'm certainly not trying to feign ignorance by declaring this doesn't make sense either. It will do well for Capcom, possibly double the game's LTD worldwide if it performs on par with RE4Wii as the 360 verison barely broke 1m WW itself and was not the huge financial success some people think it was.

Scrubking

schuelma said:
I'm not disappointed per se, but I do wonder why they didn't expend this effort on an actual Resident Evil game. Maybe that's coming?

For what it's worth, Sven said that Capcom has "top" teams working on more Wii games. Before this announcement I would have said it was total BS, but now? Who knows.

dark10x said:
PS2 was still part of the same generation. It wasn't a perfect replica of the GC version, but it was reasonably close. I don't think that will be the case here. It really does look as if they are taking the RE4 engine and slapping Dead Rising characters into it.

I agree totally.

dark10x said:
Then again, if they truly switch engines and redesign the game, it might end up being pretty damn cool. DR did a lot of cool things, but the game structure was pretty broken and ended up really annoying me in the end. If they completely change the way this game plays out (more linear) I think it might be a lot of fun. If they simply attempt to duplicate the 360 game with shitty graphics, however, it won't be.

I never played Dead Rising (Never saw the appeal) but I have heard that there were aspects of the game that were broken and as a result tainted the experience. Will this Wii version change those things? Can't say for sure, but I think Capcom has taken the proper first step and changed the perspective, which alters the focus of the game. I agree that A straight Wii-port of DR would be foolish; fortunately that doesn't seem to be what Capcom is up to.

schuelma

Scrubking said:
For what it's worth, Sven said that Capcom has "top" teams working on more Wii games. Before this announcement I would have said it was total BS, but now? Who knows.

I feel relatively good about Capcom's Wii support. This tells me that Capcom Japan has acknowledged the success of Biohazard in Japan and is adjusting things accordingly. Let me put it this way- I'm much happier with a Dead Rising port than a Umbrella Chronicles 2.

Dascu

schuelma said:
I feel relatively good about Capcom's Wii support. This tells me that Capcom Japan has acknowledged the success of Biohazard in Japan and is adjusting things accordingly. Let me put it this way- I'm much happier with a Dead Rising port than a Umbrella Chronicles 2.
True.

The "surprise take on next-gen favourite" had me hoping for a cel-shaded Devil May Cry (although that isn't technically a next-gen favourite). Worst-case scenario would've been on-rails Dead Rising shooter, basically UC2. A Dead Rising Wiimake with RE4Wii-style controls could be quite fun, even if it's not an exact replica of the X360 game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I always found Dead Rising to be pretty casual.

I'd just load it up, mow down some zombies, find a bathroom, save.

Blah, blah, blah, 72 hours, save everyone yakety yak. Who cares about that stuff, the real fun was just running around killing zombies.

Now I can do it with controls that don't completely suck.

Plus this all leads into the RE5 port anyways.

Deku

Banned
Himuro said:
Guys. No need to worry. Dead Rising sold 600k according to NPD, one of the best selling 360 games (wut?). We will get Dead Rising 2 in 2015. I sure hope the Wii version fails so I can get it on a non-Wii console.

Fuck this noise. This week has been horrible for me.

fixed.

Redd

Case said:
You think that will really happen? Cause I would prefer to play RE5 with the RE4Wii controls/

With this announcement I wouldn't be surprised. Even though I have a Wii I'm probably going to buy my first copy on my PS3. If it's that good I hope they add extras for a Wii port.

schuelma

Case said:
You think that will really happen? Cause I would prefer to play RE5 with the RE4Wii controls/

This is all speculation, but if they're willing to revamp Dead Rising, I gotta believe they're going to do something with RE5, given the succeses of RE4 Wii and RE:UC.

Terrell

This kind of sets an interesting precedent with developers. Capcom is basically opening the door and saying just because you release on a next-gen platform or have spent a lot of time developing on another platform doesn't mean that you're stuck with your title only being on that platform, Wii IS still an option.

Guess Square Enix didn't get that memo in time. But still, it's an interesting thing if this becomes a trend.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Case said:

well it's Capcom , Wii software sells like no other , this generation is so very much like the beginning two years of 32bit era , also RE5 just like Dead Rising used the MT Framework's Engine ( Upgraded Onimusha 3's Engine ) so it's not hard thing to downgrade it for Wii , and also RE4 engine work like sex and still very good too and RE5 is not that different from RE4 so they can cut and paste RE5 into it , so yeah there are many high possibilities here .

Deku

Banned
Terrell said:
This kind of sets an interesting precedent with developers. Capcom is basically opening the door and saying just because you release on a next-gen platform or have spent a lot of time developing on another platform doesn't mean that you're stuck with your title only being on that platform, Wii IS still an option.

Guess Square Enix didn't get that memo in time. But still, it's an interesting thing if this becomes a trend.

There's no way FFXIII is going to work on the Wii technically.

Scrubking

Terrell said:

When was it NOT an option? Just because internet morons go around saying that X game can't be ported to console Y doesn't make it true.

I'm sure if you search this forum you will find some saying that this game could never have been ported to Wii, and yet here it is.

Totobeni said:
well it's Capcom , Wii software sells like no other , this generation is so very much like the beginning two years of 32bit era , also RE5 just like Dead Rising used the MT Framework's Engine ( Upgraded Onimusha 3's Engine ) so it's not hard thing to downgrade it for Wii , and also RE4 engine work like sex and still very good too and RE5 is not that different from RE4 so they can cut and paste RE5 into it , so yeah there is many high possibilities here .

No other except the 360, which sells significantly better in terms of game quality and volume.

Top Bottom