• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Coming to Wii - Famitsu

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It looks pretty awful, from what I can see. I mean, the cutscene models look nice enough (on par with RE4), but the actual gameplay shots are nasty. No lighting, far fewer zombies, and ugly textures. My guess is that the item variety will be somewhat toned down and the physics will be changed as well. I just don't see how they could possibly recreate this.

It's such a waste of time. They should have gone for a full sequel. If they could expand the world, get rid of the respawning issues (having everything reappear everytime you leave the scene was stupid), and completely kill the loading (go for streaming) they would have a really kickass game. Dead Rising was a great concept, but deeply flawed. So, instead of trying to improve on it through a sequel, they port it to the weakest platform?

I guess it shows that you truly CAN port anything, but damn, it's just ugly. I kind of feel the same way about stuff like Resistance on the PSP (though at least that's an original game). I mean, it just doesn't really look good enough for me to even consider it. When you base a game on something from a more powerful platform, it's hard to get excited. Hell, they couldn't even properly port Okami from the PS2 (I know it was RAD that handled it, but those guys are awesome). How is DR going to work?!

Sadist

With the Wiimote :)

Sorry, to easy.

Capcom revealed:

RE 4 Wii selling well equals Dead Rising

DR selling well equals Lost Planet

LP selling well equals Devil May Cry 4

DMC 4 selling well equals Resident Evil 5

BRILLIANT!!!

Nolan.

inthezone said:
So if DR sells well Wii will get LP, and if that sells well they'll get RE5?

I knew it! if lost planet sold well on Ps3 Sony might have had Mh3 damn cheapskate user base holding the rest back!.

zoukka

dark10x said:
It looks pretty awful, from what I can see. I mean, the cutscene models look nice enough (on par with RE4), but the actual gameplay shots are nasty. No lighting, far fewer zombies, and ugly textures. My guess is that the item variety will be somewhat toned down and the physics will be changed as well. I just don't see how they could possibly recreate this.

It's such a waste of time. They should have gone for a full sequel. If they could expand the world, get rid of the respawning issues (having everything reappear everytime you leave the scene was stupid), and completely kill the loading (go for streaming) they would have a really kickass game. Dead Rising was a great concept, but deeply flawed. So, instead of trying to improve on it through a sequel, they port it to the weakest platform?

I guess it shows that you truly CAN port anything, but damn, it's just ugly. I kind of feel the same way about stuff like Resistance on the PSP (though at least that's an original game). I mean, it just doesn't really look good enough for me to even consider it. When you base a game on something from a more powerful platform, it's hard to get excited. Hell, they couldn't even properly port Okami from the PS2 (I know it was RAD that handled it, but those guys are awesome). How is DR going to work?!

I agree. One thing that struck me with DR was it's smooth framerate too (in the videos) and the "zombies bumbing each other" that I really doubt we'll see here. But before any videos it's hard to pass a judgement for now. They could be going for smooth framerate with those graphics and that's more important for me.

Then again the "waggle" really will be something nice this time around dont'ya think ;)

botticus

Mantorok said:
Well at least it's a port of a next-gen title as opposed to last-gen, and it's probably a game that most Wii owners haven't played.

It's better than sweet FA.
Entirely true, just my fault for continuing to have expectations above the ground floor.

Haunted

dark10x said:

Spoken like a true graphics whore. :D

I'm also interested whether they'll get it to work or not, though. Certainly was one of the first titles that really felt "next-gen" (now current-gen), an experience seemingly not possible with the power that was available until then. Just goes to show that in a business like the games industry, money > all (yes, people denying that do exist).

Just goes to show that in a business like the games industry, money > all (yes, people denying that do exist).

Pffft....your crazy. Games industry = swapping trading cards on the school playground

Sign of the times, Japanese developers wanting to reach a Japanese audience are going to start slinking back to Nintendo. N64 am avenged. :/

As for DR, if they can have some sort of sandbox mode with a save function (but no changes to the save system in campaign or infinite mode) as well as implementing good waggle control so iI can cut up zombies every which way possible.... you have my interest. Cut down port = no thanks.

dark10x said:
!

The sequel is guarenteed to be a million seller as well. Give it a new location, and fix a few issues and you have an AAA game 360 fans (and PS3 fans really, theres no reason for exclusivity) will be all over it. The groundwork is there for an amazing game with lots of appeal, the graphics don't even need a big improvement, just it bigger and better than the original.

A Wii port makes the least sense. The game is going to need major changes that way, the PS3 could have taken the whole hog with some recoding.

Nif said:
Wow, wasn't expecting that. At least it means they're still looking at the series, and hopefully that we'll see the sequel on next-gen.

This is what I'm thinking. Port the damn thing to the iPhone as long as the 360 (and whatever other system you like) get DR2.

TheHeretic said:
A Wii port makes the least sense. The game is going to need major changes that way, the PS3 could have taken the whole hog with some recoding.

The Wii port makes the most sense, because it stands to make the most money. This is RE4 PS2 all over again, don't delude yourself into thinking it was this or the PS3.

DeaconKnowledge said:
The Wii port makes the most sense, because it stands to make the most money. This is RE4 PS2 all over again, don't delude yourself into thinking it was this or the PS3.

Games don't automatically sell huge volumes just because they appear on the Wii. Just how much appeal does a toned down port have, anyway?

Gwanatu T

dark10x said:

I completely disagree. Dead Rising is by far the best 360 title, and quite frankly the best title of this generation thus far if you ask me. The style, theme and execution of it is unmatched in any game. We've got plenty of horror games, and even plenty of Resident Evil's from Capcom (that doesn't mean I don't want more of course), and this is just such a fresh execution of a fairly familiar concept. I honestly don't think the game is flawed in the ways that people always claim, especially what you are claiming here. It's the same exact argument used about the save system and how it artificially makes the game too hard. This is an old-school action/adventure game, and everything in it screams to the "core gamer". One save file makes it hard and forces you to make good decisions, while the continue system of starting over with all your stats and moves intact was an ingenious way to regulate difficulty without completely changing the game itself. Also, the respawning thing is just fine, and yet again brings back that old school feel of the games of yore.

I'm excited about DR for the Wii, that is if they can make it a good port. If RE4 is anything to go on, this will be an incredible port well worthy of the name (and in RE4's case it was considerably better than the original because of the Wii controls).

Vagabundo

TheHeretic said:
Games don't automatically sell huge volumes just because they appear on the Wii. Just how much appeal does a toned down port have, anyway?

If it reaches the same audience that bought RE4 and Red Steel, lots and lots of appeal.

Make sure you market the damn game Capcom.

The Hermit

zallaaa said:
Should have it fail for Capcom to bring some new IP???? I mean, I'd love a side-story, but another port with improved controls...
I'd like to smell some sulfurous breath of fire capcom!

At least is a port of something of this gen, and by the sound of it it´s actually an improvement! :D

Also the graphics are better than we are used too, it looks very nice!

toypop said:
And I think there are some amount of people who don't own 360 but think "That zombie game looks interesting".
That's pretty much your answer right there. No one bought DR in Japan because it was on the 360, but someone in Capcom wants the game/franchise to succeed.

Hell, if this ends up as RE4 Wii in a mall, I'll probably get it.

Vagabundo said:
If it reaches the same audience that bought RE4 and Red Steel, lots and lots of appeal.

Make sure you market the damn game Capcom.

Red Steel was a launch game and RE4 was the definitive version of the best game last generation. Its easy to mention the games that have sold well, what about all the duds on the Wii?

Anyway theres no point in speculating, whats done is done. DR2 isn't looking too likely, which fucking sucks.

Jokeropia

TheHeretic said:
Red Steel was a launch game and RE4 was the definitive version of the best game last generation.
And RE:UC?

Not saying that this game has an obvious huge appeal, but Capcom's Wii track record is pretty good in that respect.

Diablos

WTF

How the fuck is Dead Rising even possible on Wii?

Zombie count will have to be significantly reduced thus taking away from the experience. The amount of awesome detail that really sucked you into the world of Willamette Mall will not be nearly as realistic.

So Dead Rising 2 has been pushed back for who knows how long, and the only new info about the series we have is a Wii port.

Thanks a fucking lot, Capcom. :mad:

Seriously WTF IS THIS SHIT CAPCOM SIGFSDJGSDF

dark10x

DeaconKnowledge said:
PS2 was still part of the same generation. It wasn't a perfect replica of the GC version, but it was reasonably close. I don't think that will be the case here. It really does look as if they are taking the RE4 engine and slapping Dead Rising characters into it.

Then again, if they truly switch engines and redesign the game, it might end up being pretty damn cool. DR did a lot of cool things, but the game structure was pretty broken and ended up really annoying me in the end. If they completely change the way this game plays out (more linear) I think it might be a lot of fun. If they simply attempt to duplicate the 360 game with shitty graphics, however, it won't be.

How the fuck is Dead Rising even possible on Wii?
Based on the screens, it's really not.

Sadist

Just thinking of something. As far there are 360/PS3 > Wii ports, I can ony think of one and that is Rockstar Presents Table Tennis. I own the game and they did it pretty well. But... I can't think of any other 360/PS3 > Wii ports. You guys can?

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Hmmm, that's a bit surprising. Good news for Wii-owners, the first game was such a blast : )

I know this isn't going to be the same game as the original. DR on the 360 is still probably the only game I can think of on the HD consoles that genuinely couldn't be replicated on the Wii. And it isn't, but here we are.

I liked DR, but I didn't get into it properly.

Yeah, this will probably be RE4 in a mall, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Dead Rising on Wii? WAT.

I don't have a 360 (yet) and I surely was hoping that Capcom would port it to PC down the line since I hear so many good things about the game. I plan to eventually buy a 360, so that wasn't such a big deal.

The main thing I hear about the game is that many consider it to be to this very day the best next current gen game they've played. I don't really care about labels, but from what I know about the gameplay and features it does seem to use the technical strenghts that are present on the 360, and I'm not sure how those will be implemented on the Wii.

It's Capcom anyway, and they rarely fail to deliver to me. Color me curious.

VAIL said:
That's next, well...after Lost Planet to celebrate the MOVIE.

For all the next-gen candy RE5 has, its also probably still using some assets from the original re4. At least that was the feeling i had after seeing the ms presentation.

Gagaman

Zombies and the Wii seem to go hand in (decapitated) hand, for some reason. We've already had Resi Evil 4, Umbrella Chronicles, House of the Dead 2 + 3, and soon this and Bikini Zombie Slayer (or whatever it's Japanese name was). Now give me a House of the Dead 4 port of some sort and maybe that EX arcade game. =)

VAIL

hopefully with the toned down number of zombies we wont have a bunch of them all wearing that awful yellow flannel shirt...

Diablos

Yeah, it is kind funny how DR is praised for being one of the next-gen games, yet is being ported to a system that does not have next-gen hardware.

Seriously though, they can't even port this for PS3? WTF? Port it for hardware that is meant to display it as originally intended, geez.

Threi

notag
Diablos said:
Yeah, it is kind funny how DR is praised for being one of the next-gen games, yet is being ported to a system that does not have next-gen hardware.

Seriously though, they can't even port this for PS3? WTF? Port it for hardware that is meant to display it as originally intended, geez.

I agree.

We need a PC port. That way the game can be displayed the way the developers truly intended it to be.

dark10x

Bluemercury said:
For all the next-gen candy RE5 has, its also probably still using some assets from the original re4. At least that was the feeling i had after seeing the ms presentation.
"Assets"? I highly doubt that. Do you really think they are using any of the same textures or models in the new game? I doubt they carried anything over as it is completely different technology.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Yeah, I would really prefer a PC version, but whatever. Maybe if this sells enough, we might get that and a true sequel .

hopefully

Diablos

Threi said:
I agree.

We need a PC port. That way the game can be displayed the way the developers truly intended it to be.
Might as well at this point. I mean they're totally downgrading the graphics engine, and amount of zombies, and who knows what else. Plus, adding waggle! So why not port it PC and PS3, too? Dead Rising for Wii just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

DrFunk said:
Yeah, I would really prefer a PC version, but whatever. Maybe if this sells enough, we might get that and a true sequel .

hopefully
Yeah, as a Wii exclusive? :\

yoopoo

Banned
Doesn't look like crap, thats surprising. Faulty frame rate will break the game though. Can't wait to see the vids.

Whats the eta?

MCD

dark10x said:
"Assets"? I highly doubt that. Do you really think they are using any of the same textures or models in the new game? I doubt they carried anything over as it is completely different technology.
i only heard some sounds being reused.

also some of the animations, mostly enemies.

Threi

notag
Diablos said:
Might as well at this point. I mean they're totally downgrading the graphics engine, and amount of zombies, and who knows what else. Plus, adding waggle! So why not port it PC and PS3, too? Dead Rising for Wii just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Same reason RE4 got ported to PS2 i guess.

And then to Cell Phones.

It did bug you that Capcom did that, right?

You should be used to disappointments like that from them.

Baha

Sadist said:
Just thinking of something. As far there are 360/PS3 > Wii ports, I can ony think of one and that is Rockstar Presents Table Tennis. I own the game and they did it pretty well. But... I can't think of any other 360/PS3 > Wii ports. You guys can?

Rockband, Guitar Hero...

That's all I can think of.

dark10x said:

Some of the animations ARE exactly the same and i mean the same as in RE4......

Top Bottom