• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 is 30 fps on consoles, uncapped on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7.Angel

Has the early content been confirmed again? Would be surprised they go down that route again considering the PC release.

Intrigued how you can guarantee it'll look pretty much the same as the PS4 pro version. I thought the scorpio was a fair whack more powerful? Eh, we'll see at launch I guess.

I'm going down the PC route, either way.

lol we're talking about bungie, this dude made the first one almost even with the old generation of console and the game will release before Scorpio, they'll look pretty close, superior on Scorpio as it should but very close.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I've got well over 100 games between Xbox One and PS4 and the majority of them as well as all the first person shooters are 60fps so "you should build a PC if you care about 60fps" is a load of nonsense.

You have well over 100 AAA games (which Destiny is) that hit 60 fps on PS4? Because those three letters tend to be the big difference.

Nice.

Gotta keep in mind many Xbox players have a soft spot for Bungie. There's probably a higher per capita attach rate on Xbox compared to PS4.

Not sure why per capital attach rate matters when looking at overall userbases.

The PS4 version sold more in Xboxs main markets. Add in the rest of the world and...

yuraya

Don't get why people expected 60fps on consoles. Unless they changed graphics engines and overhauled everything there was no way it would just magically jump from 30 to 60 for the sequel. Especially when they have like 600people or wtvr working on the game. Sequels are even more graphically demanding than the previous entries. And they made this game in only a couple years while doing expansions for the first etc.

royox

Is Destiny running at 30fps in PS4 now? If it's a Yes then I don't care and I will get 2 on PS4 too.

molnizzle

Not sure why per capital attach rate matters when looking at overall userbases.

The PS4 version sold more in Xboxs main markets. Add in the rest of the world and...

...right. But if a higher percentage of Xbox players bought Destiny, the player bases could theoretically still be the same size. That's what per capita means.

Kthulhu

30 FPS on consoles is a fucking joke in 2017.

Unfortunately it's super common (looking at you From Software). I really wish they focused more on nailing the frame rate instead of the visuals. I guess it's easier to market a pretty game then a well running one.

People have to start realizing that games with competitive MP components are going to have FPS parity on these mid-gen refresh consoles. You're not going to get a 60fps advantage over the base hardware when playing multiplayer if it's targeting 30fps. Would it have been nice to target higher FPS for the single player experience for Pro/Scorp? Of course, but it's not going to happen imo.

I'm not really an FPS freak, but I'll have to admit that the whole 30 FPS on consoles thing bums me out. Not because I think I'll have a lesser experience with the game, but because that gives me one less reason to invest in Scorpio/PS4 Pro. As Destiny will be the console game I play most this fall, I might just save myself the money considering I only have 1080p TV's anyway.

Curious to see what, if any, improvements the game would offer for PS4 Pro/Scorpio before I make my final decision. If it's just 4K support then meh.

If you have a decent PC, then yes it is wrong. Only blizzard game that has ever been completely fucked by hackers in my experience was d3 on ps4. Overwatch, d3, hearthstone don't have hacking problems on PC.

And that was funnily enough because it wasn't always online.

KoL

Getting it on PS4 because of my friends but I'll probably get the PC version too. I hope the cross-save rumors are real.

...right. But if a higher percentage of Xbox players bought Destiny, the player bases could theoretically still be the same size. That's what per capita means.

And I'm telling you that's not the case. The PS4 version sold more. And we don't have any data to indicate that the XB1 version has a bigger user base.

Innolis

The first game played very well at 30fps but I was still hoping they would go the extra mile and make it 60 on consoles...

Siege.exe

People keep insisting that 60 is mandatory in 2017, but like, Battlefield 1 isn't going to catch Destiny any time soon, CoD is still on a downward spiral, Siege is doing alright but it's not exactly some unbelievable success story, and we have the tragedy of Titanfall 2. Maybe it's time that some of you accept that most people just really don't care about games running at 60 anywhere near as much as you do, and it isn't even remotely required for games to find success. It's uncapped on PC, the audience that actually wouldn't budge if Bungie tried to put this out at 30 for them, so if it's that essential, you have a place to play it where you're being directly catered to.

molnizzle

And I'm telling you that's not the case. The PS4 version sold more. And we don't have any data to indicate that the XB1 version has a bigger user base.

We don't have any data to the contrary either though. That's my entire point. The active player bases could very well be similar in size.

dragos495

About as wrong as you'd be for playing Overwatch on PS4 solely because you're worried about hackers.

You are going to get killed way
way
way more by XIM4 users on console than by hackers on PC

what.gif

youre saying that like its a bad thing... i wouldnt mind getting killed by someone who plays with what he thinks works best for him instead of someone using hacks and cheating.

nOoblet16

30 FPS on consoles is a fucking joke in 2017.
Oh the usual "it's *insert year number* comment". As if it means anything.

It's 2017 but it's still using the same damn machine that ran Destiny 1 at 30FPS with little remaining overhead. They are already using up whatever rendering developments they had and the advantage of not having last gen support on larger areas (Destiny 1 had small areas sectioned off between loading zones), better visuals (yes there are improvements), and more density on the same machine.

benzopil

People keep insisting that 60 is mandatory in 2017, but like, Battlefield 1 isn't going to catch Destiny any time soon, CoD is still on a downward spiral, Siege is doing alright but it's not exactly some unbelievable success story, and we have the tragedy of Titanfall 2. Maybe it's time that some of you accept that most people just really don't care about games running at 60 anywhere near as much as you do, and it isn't even remotely required for games to find success. It's uncapped on PC, the audience that actually wouldn't budge if Bungie tried to put this out at 30 for them, so if it's that essential, you have a place to play it where you're being directly catered to.

I personally don't care about framerate at all (it can be 20, I'll still play), but playing Destiny right after Overwatch is just painful.

We don't have any data to the contrary either though. That's my entire point. The active player bases could very well be similar in size.

So let me get this straight.

The PS4 version sold more than the XB1 version in the Xbox's biggest territories (NA/UK).

The PS4 version obviously sold ridiculously more in the ROTW where the PS4 is super dominant.

But despite having no data to the contrary, you think that the active player bases being the same on both platforms has the same amount of evidence behind it as PS4 having more of a base?

Nah dude. That's not how it works.

wolgoen

I can't help but vent my frustration with this.

Does no one sat in the dev team meeting say guys one of the biggest priorities we need to do is 60fps. Why?....because this is not 1995, it's 2017 and many other FPS achieve 60 fps on console. Why again?...because it's what gamers want these days and is a good idea. Why finally?...because it does not take a rocket scientist to foresee the fans/community being annoyed if they cannot play D2 at 60fps, only 30fps IN ******* 2017! WHAT. THE. ****!

Hey guys, have you heard the next Avatar movie will not be in HD or on Bluray! Nahhh, Cameron figured people are not interested in HD anymore, we want DVD quality only. Hell he is even releasing the movie on VHS as a special edition just for the fans as that's what they want.

When. WHEN will devs learn?

Looking forward to D2 on PC, not that I have a choice if I want to play at a proper frame rate.

Rant over.

EmiPrime

You have well over 100 AAA games (which Destiny is) that hit 60 fps on PS4? Because those three letters tend to be the big difference.

Nice.

I said the majority of my games.

Titanfall, Halo, Doom, Overwatch, Battleborn, COD, BF, Wolfenstein are all AAA first person shooters on console that are 60fps. Bungie have fallen behind and they no longer have the last generation parity excuse.

Hux1ey

Banned

BF1 is closer to 30 than 60 in MP tbh.

Siege.exe

I personally don't care about framerate at all (it can be 20, I'll still play), but playing Destiny right after Overwatch is just painful.

Mileage may vary, yeah, but like. People are acting like 30 is absolutely unacceptable and that the market will push against it because other shooters run at 60 when that is very clearly not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom